"Don't Leave."

OURS (ON HOLD)

JEONG EUNJI'S POV

 

“Let’s eaaaat!” The children said in chorus as we finished praying.

 

We began eating but then I noticed something.

 

Sungkyu isn’t awake yet? I asked to myself. He was not around during the exercise this early morning and it’s already eight but he is not here yet. I wanted to go to our room and wake him up but ugh I’m starving to death!

 

After an hour, we’re all done eating heavy breakfast. Yeah, heavy and it took us an hour. HAHAHA! I think I’m gonna love morning from now on.

 

“Eonni, let’s play!”

 

“Sure! But eonni will wash up first, okay?”

 

“Yehey!”

 

They went outside cheering excitedly while I headed to our room. There I found a wet look Sungkyu in his bathrobe.

 

“Oh..sorry.” I apologized then about to go out and close the door thinking he might  need a privacy to dress up.

 

“Just give me some moment.” He said.

 

I nod and close the door.

 

Then I find myself smiling from the thought he must be getting dressed up hurriedly now. Reminds me of Howon when I unexpectedly visited him to his house and warned him I’ll just wait for exactly five minutes and I will enter his room after, whether he’s dressed up or not.

 

After a few minutes, the door opened.

 

“You can come in now.” Said Sungkyu still drying his hair with a towel.

 

“Good morning.” I greeted with a smile. He smiled back, at least.

 

“Aren’t you hungry?”

 

“Is there still food?”

 

We asked each other in chorus. I just laughed when his question sink in to my senses.

 

“Yeah, you can have your breakfast at the kitchen. But sad to say you’ll eat by yourself.”

 

“It’s okay as long as in the end I’ll be full.”

 

 “Haha! That’s for sure. Trust me you’ll love breakfast the most after.”

 

Few minutes later after I took a bath Sungkyu is no longer in the room. He must be at the kitchen now, eating his breakfast.

 

As I passed by the kitchen, there I saw him eating like there’s no tomorrow. I fake getting a drink to just watch him eat by himself.

 

“Slow down.” I joke.

 

“I can’t. The food taste so good!” He said while chewing that I barely don’t understand what he’s talking about.

 

“By the way, you should join us tomorrow. We’ll jog at the park.”

 

Sungkyu tilt his head with an unsure expression. “I’ll see.”

 

“Alright.”

 

I’m about to exit the kitchen when my mind suddenly wants to invite him to play with us.

 

“By the way, if you want or have some time you can join us outside to play with the kids.”

 

He just smiled.

 

As I got outside, I saw the kids and the volunteers playing around. It’s a good thing the orphanage has its own playground. The kids saw me and waved at me. I did the same.

 

“Eunji-yah.”

 

“Bomi.”

 

Suddenly Bomi appeared beside... me with a suitcase?

 

“You are going somewhere?” I asked seriously.

 

She nods. “My mom got hospitalized and I want to be by her side until she get well.” She said sadly.

 

“Aww, I’m so sorry to hear that.” I patted her shoulder showing some comfort. “What about your friend?”

 

“She went to the ladies’ room and she’s going with me. She said she can’t be by herself here.”

 

“I can take care of her though.”

 

“That’s what I said but she resists. She’s really a shy type and doesn’t get along well with new people.”

 

“I see. Well, have a safe trip then. I hope your Mom to get well very soon.”

 

“Thanks, Eunji. Haays, I thought we can make new memories again here but..” She cut herself while looking down sadly.

 

“It’s okay! We can see each other again! I’m so sure of that!”

 

“Bomi.” He friend has already come. “Hi.” She shyly greeted me with a smile.

 

“It’s nice to meet you! I hope next time I’ll see you again and can be friends!”

 

“Nice to meet you, too.” She said back bowing.

 

How polite. Hihi. ^_^

 

“We gotta go, Eunji-yah.”

 

“Take care you two!”

 

“Bye!”

 

It’s so sad seeing Bomi got into the taxi waving me a goodbye. How will my winter be happy as it were last year when two of my favourite people are not with me? Though being with kids really makes me happy but...

 

But Howon really gives me a special happiness which I can’t receive anymore.

 

 “Who are you waving at?”

 

Just then I saw Sungkyu standing right next to me. And that’s when I realized I have been waving my hand since the moment Bomi left up until now.

 

“Oh.” I put down my hand. “My friend, Bomi, she already left with her friend.”

 

“Already?” He asked.

 

“Yeah. Her mom was rushed to the hospital.”

 

“I see.”

 

After that, no one dares to talk again and start a conversation. All we are doing now is watch the kids play when I should be there playing with them too. But when I found out Bomi is leaving, I can’t help myself to just stand here and having some mental black. Like... I don’t want to do such things anymore because there’s no one is with me enjoying the good things I like doing.

 

Howon’s not by my side anymore. There are no more new memories to collect with him this time.

 

Now that I realized that... I am having a thought of backing out and leave too.

 

“Oppa, let’s play.”

 

“Eh?”

 

One kid suddenly approached Sungkyu to play with her.

 

“Let’s play!” She said with such excitement.

 

I look at Sungkyu who’s like having a thought to agree or not.

 

“Wha-what kind of play?” He asked.

 

“You carry me at your shoulder. Just like them.” She pointed her index finger to the volunteers who are carrying a single kid to their shoulder. Some are having a fight scene while some are pretending they’re flying.

 

Sungkyu’s facial expression doesn’t seem good while staring at kid. I am trying to hold my laugh at how would Sungkyu be able to endure the kid’s weight. Cos this kid is slightly chubby but super duper cute!

 

“We don’t make kids cry here.” I tease.

 

“O-okay.” He said stuttering.

 

The kid shouts her excitement and went at Sungkyu’s back getting ready to climb at his shoulder.

 

“Here we coooome!” The kid shouts to everyone. “Oppa, run.”

 

Sungkyu run but it’s like he’s not running cos he is so slow. I don’t think the cutie girl is that heavy though. I know that kid and I know I can carry her but in Sungkyu’s case..... I think he’s the one who got problem.

 

“Oppa, run faster. Let’s fight them all!” The little girl commanded while Sungkyu tried really hard to run faster as he can.

 

The volunteers and children’s game ended for a long 2 hours. Woah, that was so long. No wonder all of them are all asleep at this moment. It’s 3 in the afternoon and like... I am the only who’s awake. Cos I was the only one who didn’t play. I just prepared their drinks and snacks. I have been rounding the house for like 20 minutes and I can’t see anyone. I tried to sneak at the children’s room and they’re all tightly sleeping. I also tried to sneak one room for volunteers and yeah, they’re asleep. The ahjummas are all busy for the ‘Getting to Know Each Other’ later. I tried to help out but they say I should rest too. If they only knew.

 

So, I decided to go back to our room and kill the remaining long time I have before it gets dark. But how would I spend the time if I don’t have any idea on what to do. Hays, this is one of the things I hate, being alone.

 

Because when I am all by myself, I think too much. I think of the things that shouldn’t be remembered and things that should be forgotten.

 

“Should I just leave too?” I whispered asking myself.

 

Bomi isn’t here, most especially, Howon isn’t here. I don’t think I can enjoy this winter break without the people I love being with.

 

I lay in my bed getting ready to try falling asleep when I heard Sungkyu said something that shook me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Kajima.”