Chapter 06

Years of eternity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 6: Four candles on a cake

 

 

 

“It’s not good enough.”

Jongin turned around to watch his coach fold his arms and sigh. He was standing a few meters away from him and was wearing a large dark blue jacket and a black cap. He must have forgotten to shave in the morning because the beard had already started to grow on his chin.

Jongin reached for a towel and wiped away the sweat from his forehead. He was still standing on the ice, forming an A between his skates and leaning on the side with his arms. Jongin walked over on the ice and left the ice rink walking to a bench, sitting down and put on the protecting plastic covers on the rails.

 

“I don’t know what’s bothering you today. Yesterday you nailed your program but today… It feels like you’re someone else. Your spirit is gone. Completely.” His coach was taking steps behind him and he could feel his coach’s presence already. “You’re supposed to feel a christmas spirit but you’re totally lacking it today!”
 

Why was he so good on complaining rather than give him a compliment? Just because he missed certain parts doesn’t mean the whole program was a failure? And everyone could have a bad day now and then. It was completely normal. So why was his coach so angry?

 

“I just have a lot to think about.”

“Whatever it is it can wait! Your christmas event is coming up soon enough and people are expecting you to deliver!”

“I’m sorry?”

“I don’t want to hear an apology of you if you can’t show me you’re sorry. Why don’t we just end today here. You won’t be any better any more time on the ice anyways.”

 

Always so damn cold. Jongin was pissed off. Nevertheless he didn’t fight back his place and just put his skaters back in his bag and left the ice rink.

 

The air was cold and tucked on his wet hair strands in front of his face as the air  turned the sweat into small strands of ice instead. He pulled his grey jacket tighter around his chest and looked in front of him when he let out a white cloud from his mouth. This winter had brought such a bitter cold yet no snow had landed on the ground. He felt disappointed. His driver was already waiting for him and Jongin opened the back door before jumping in, placing the bag on the other side of the car and shut the door behind him.

 

“Do you want to grab a snack before we go home?”

 

“No. Just take me home please.”
 

“Yes sir.”

 

They drove for what felt like hours with Jongin looking through his phone. He spent first ten minutes looking through his messages and found none important. When he found nothing he changed to looking outside the window.

“Do you know when the first snow will land in Seoul?” Jongin asked as he seemed too preoccupied with his own thoughts. Somewhat he was asking the question for himself but maybe also for his driver to answer the question. But to be honest, he wasn’t sure himself.

“I have no idea. It could land today, tomorrow or in a week. It’s already cold so I believe all of us are waiting for the snow to fall by now.” His driver answered back.

 

“Please tell me if you know.”

 

“Absolutely, sir.”

 

The first snow each year was a special time for Jongin. It was a moment to be treasured as it only showed up once a year. He usually spent his time home with his father and his sister. They usually spent those times together just because of the past with their mother passing away in december when Jongin was only a kid. It was a moment to be remembered but also to be valued as something good. After her death the family had grown closer and Jongin had always been really close to both his father and his sister.

 

He treasured his family a lot. And always put them first no matter what. Because Jongin didn’t have many friends, his family usually became his top priorit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter