date

happy days

Despite the fact that Youngjae and Daehyun have never been on real date, they didn’t want to be on one. Watching movie in cinema nor dinner in restaurant wasn’t something they would enjoy, so they both decided to do something different and not that cheesy. Something they could call as ‘a trip’ except ‘a date’.

They bought bus passes to Busan and as they sat in their seats, backs pressed to the vinyl and their legs bumping against each other as the bus jerked, Youngjae thought the bus ride was more crowded then he remembered it being in the past.

From there on, they had about five hours of bus time ahead of them, a fat wallet in Daehyun’s  pocket, and a few things on their backs. That was going to be the best journey they will ever have, they both thought. Just two of them and no one else.

The bus ride went without incident. They were listening music through earphones, sometimes arguing who could pick the song, playing with their fingers and resting heads on each other’s shoulders. They reached Busan before the sun even went down and found a cheap motel in area quite close to the sea.

“Oh, thanks God,” Youngjae said, looking at the two beds in a motel room they shared. “There are two beds.”

“What did you think? That I will ask for ten?”

“I thought it will be just one. But I’m glad our beds are separated.”

“Don’t lie to yourself, JaeJae. We both know you will jump into my bed in the middle of the night, saying something about being cold and that .”

“Of course not,” he said, pouting and frowning.

They took turns in the shower, Youngjae first, and Daehyun after. When he opened the door, he saw that his boyfriend adopted one of his looser hoodies for his own and was fiddling with the sleeves. He looked at him with a smirk and get himself another sweatshirt. His one was all black while Youngjae’s was all white, so Youngjae joked about being Yin and Yang and convinced him to take a cute selfie he could post on Instagram later.

Busan was a pretty place, and less crowded than Seoul. There were still lights and city feel, but it wasn’t so packed you couldn’t breathe. You could smell the sea, see the happy faces and look at the beautiful architecture. Youngjae and Daehyun were walking down the promenade, their fingers locked and cheeks flushed, feeling really calm. Maybe it was something about Busan, maybe it was just them truly liking each other, but that day couldn’t be more better, they both knew that. And they both knew they were feeling like that just once in their lives.

They got fried chicken and walked down to the beach, to eat it on a bench on a boardwalk. The crunch of food and light breeze rustling through nearby greenery were the only things to be heard.

“It’s nice,” Daehyun admitted softly. “I could stay here forever.”

“Me too.”

“You should promise me something,” he demanded all of the sudden. Youngjae glanced at him, an eyebrow raised. “When you will have another boyfriend, you can never take him here. This boardwalk in Busan is reserved for the two of us and no one else.”

“Okay, so now you’re planning our breakup.”

“I’m just thinking.”

“When I will have another boyfriend,” Youngjae snorted, chewing the chicken, “we would have the best dates ever. You know, expensive restaurants, red wine and that stuff.”

“You said you don’t like cliché things,” Daehyun pouted and sighed, looking at the sea. “That’s why our dates aren’t dates.”

“Did I? I thought you were one who wanted to go to Busan and eat fried chicken while looking at the sea. Oh my God, Dae, I’m just joking,” he added as Daehyun’s face turned red and his eyes got lost in confusion. “It’s perfect, really.”

Youngjae closed his eyes and dipped his head backwards, it seemed as if he was in another dimension, full of peace and silence. He didn’t react when Daehyun placed his hand on his, and when Daehyun rested head on his shoulder, he didn’t do anything, either. He just wanted to keep this moment forever, press the pause not to turn it into fading memories.

When forever elapsed and fried chicken cooled down, Daehyun sighed silently and unlocked his phone. Then he one of his favorite songs, Toploader’s Dancing in the Moonlight, stood up and extended hand to Youngjae, smirking with the flush on his round cheeks.

“So… may I have this dance?”

Youngjae looked around to see a lot of people walking down the boardwalk. “There are tens of thousands people.”

“I think you are exaggerating things a little. Come on, if you give the first dance to me I promise I’m going to cherish every moment.”

“But I’m not good at dancing, actually.”

“Oh my God, just take my hand, keep your eyes locked on mine and let me teach you to dance.”

As Youngjae stood up and gave him a hand, he felt more embarrassed than he whenever had been in the past. He couldn’t dance, really. And there were a lots of people. And it had looked really stupid. And it all didn’t matter as soon as he could only stare into Daehyun’s eyes, fulfilled with a truly feelings, and let him lead his first dance.

Daehyun spun him around, a small laugh escaped his mouth when Youngjae lost his balance for a moment but he didn’t let him fall down. Some people were watching them, some were even talking about their happiness you could clearly see, some were jealous because of their slow dance on wooden boards. And none of these people didn’t matter for Daehyun nor Youngjae as they could only see each other, swaying like a lazy ocean hugs the shore.

And then, when Daehyun he pulled Youngjae close to him, breathing irregular, he glanced at his beautiful reflection and soft, pinky lips. The words ‘I like you’ hanged unspoken in the air, not making it out of Daehyun’s throat but being visible in his hazel eyes instead. And instead of kissing him, he pressed his lips against Youngjae’s forehead, eyes shut and hands around his tiny waist he would compare to his thigh.

“Thank you,” he said, still holding him close, chin resting on the top of his head.

“For the dance?”

“For the dance,” he repeated. “For not-a-date-trip. For being there for me when I needed you.”

As Youngjae sighed silently, hands gripping on the material of Daehyun’s hoodie, a wide smile appeared on his face that Daehyun’s couldn’t see. “You’re welcome.”

 

________________

this and the next chapter (called 'kissing') are, honestly, my favorite

hope you like it too ;)