chapter 6

Speed Chaser

It had been weeks since Youngjae broke up with his ex-boyfriend though Jihoon kept trying to contact him. For Youngjae, he had completely moved on. Crying over his ex-boyfriend just wasting his time as he thought. Nothing good came from it and he just realized that after all that happened, Jihoon never treated him like he used to after he got to study abroad.

Himchan was grateful that finally his brother broke up because he never liked Jihoon. When he met Jihoon for the first time, he knew what type of guy he was but he didn’t want to destroy his brother’s happiness at that time. Youngjae had been smiling a lot when he met Jihoon. But now, he wanted to make Youngjae smiled a lot like he used to.

“Youngjae hyung, come down. Dinner is ready.” Zelo shouted from the end of the stairs to call out for his brother down for dinner.

“Give me a minute!”

A few minutes passed before the sound of rushing footsteps coming down to the dining room was heard. “Sorry. I needed to finish my work for the business trip this weekend.” Youngjae smiled sheepishly as he sat down at the dining table and everyone had already gathered.

“It’s okay. Did Daehyun give you a lot of work?” Yongguk smiled as he asked his brother from across the table.

“Ah no- It was me that didn’t finish it in time because I was busy crying over that stupid .”

“Alright. Just forget that idiot and let’s eat. Shall we?” Himchan said as he gestured for everyone to eat.

“Ah! By the way, can I come with you tonight Channie hyung?” Zelo asked with his mouth full of rice which Himchan flicked his forehead and told him to swallow first before talking.

“No.”

“But whyyyy?” Zelo whined, his feet slightly stomped the floor.

“Because I said so.”

“Gukkie hyungg? Can I go with you tonight?”

Yongguk looked at his youngest brother and shrugged, “Sure.”

“Yongguk-“

“It’s okay, Channie. I will keep my eyes on him.”

Himchan sighed because he would never get to say ‘No’ to this man. Youngjae shifted his gaze between the elder siblings, stifling back his laugh because it was always funny when Himchan could not say anything to fight Yongguk.

“May I know where will the rendezvous be at tonight?” Youngjae curiously looked at the both of his brothers and both of them exchanged look with each other before Himchan decided to open his mouth.

“Usual place. You coming?”

“Ah no. I.. still have work to do.”

“Aww man. Daehyun must have missed you.” Jongup laughed but he got hit by Youngjae.

“Why would he miss me.. we meet every day at work.”

“It’s different~”

“Shut up, Uppie.”

 

 

Their hangout port was loud with music booming from the cars and the chattering. Daehyun pulled up his Porsche and he spotted his friends hanging around their cars so he made his way to them. Greeting a few people he knew on the way.

“Yo bro! What’s up?” Yongguk was the first to notice Daehyun and they greeted with signature fist bump.

Daehyun looked around before he grinned sheepishly, “Where’s Youngjae?”

“Bro, I’m right here and you are asking for my brother?” Himchan huffed as he crossed his arms, Yongguk chuckling softly.

“He didn’t want to come.”

“Ah.. too bad.”

“I told Youngjae hyung that you’ll be missing him but he didn’t believe me!” Jongup flailed his arms and almost hit someone that walked passed him in the face but of course he didn’t realize that as he continued his rambling.

“Calm down, Uppie. I was just asking for him.”

As they were talking, a group of cars pulled up in front of them and everyone was looking at the newcomers. Most were wondering who the newcomers might be since they had never seen those cars around before.

A guy came out from one of the car and he made his way towards Daehyun, smirking as he playfully saluted him. Daehyun looked at the guy with confused face.

“My boss demands a race between you and him.” As the guy said it, he gestured towards the red Dodge Viper and the rest followed his gesture with their gaze. Inside the Dodge Viper, a guy with a hoodie and vendetta mask waved at them.

“Who is your boss?” Daehyun asked, wondering where this guy came from.

“He prefers not to be known, Mr.Jung.” the guy smirked faintly, “So, what’d you say? I don’t want to keep him waiting.”

“What’s the deal?”

“Loser lose their car.”

“Bring it on.” The surrounding erupted in cheer once the words left Daehyun’s mouth and everyone cleared up the street to give way to the cars that would be racing one-on-one.

Daehyun’s Porsche was on the right side of the road while the Dodge Viper was on the left. Junhong stood in the middle of the road as he asked if the both of them were ready, getting giddy because that was his first time trying to start the race. Both cars were revving their engine as they waited for the signal to start.

“1.. 2.. GO!” with a wave of his hand to indicate the start, both cars started off and everyone cheered for whoever they supported.

Daehyun was leading as his rival followed behind closely, trying to overtake the Porsche but the driver of the Dodge Viper didn’t have the chance because Daehyun kept blocking the other by swerving to the left and right. The street was not that busy since it was still in the suburb but once they reached the corner, the masked man in the Dodge Viper managed to overtake the Porsche because Daehyun was not aware enough and gave chance for his rival.

The masked man drifted around the corner, tires screeching against the road as they were about to enter the highway. Daehyun clenched his jaws as he changed his gear, speeding up once they got onto the highway. The presence of the other cars made it hard for the both of them especially Daehyun since he had to overtake his rival again.

Sometimes Daehyun had to weave in between cars to be right on his rival’s tail. The red car was a few meters in front of him since he had to avoid the cars on the road but once his path was quite clear, he stepped on the gas to speed up and get next to his rival.

They took the exit and the Porsche managed to overtake the red Dodge Viper again.

“Hold on tight Daehyun!” Daehyun said to himself as he sped up but his rival overtake him again and their finish line was just in less than a kilometer.

Loud cheers could be heard once they saw the two cars approaching the finish line and they saw the Dodge Viper was leading while Daehyun was right on its tail. Daehyun groaned and breathed a sigh of relief once he managed to pass the finish line just in time with his rival. He didn’t know where his rival came from but he was definitely a skilled driver. Nobody has ever won against Daehyun or finished in the same place as him.

Once he pulled up his car next to his rival, the masked man raised a thumbs up for Daehyun. He was really curious about this man and he felt connected to this new rival of his.

Not long after Daehyun and the masked guy’s race finished, another two cars revved their engines at the starting line. Daehyun recognized the one in the blue Subaru as Suwoong and the other guy in the Mustang was one of the masked man’s friends.

Daehyun was excited to see Suwoong’s race after he sent that kid to train with Zico. And he also promised Suwoong that he would gift him an Evo if the kid managed to win a race.

A girl in skimpy dress stood in the middle of the road in her heels and as what Zelo did, she also asked if both party were ready before she indicated the start of the race. Both cars were seen speeding off once the girl waved her hand to start off the race.

Daehyun got out of his car and leaned against his hood, sometimes glancing toward the masked man in the car because of his curiosity. After a while has passed, they could hear the loud sounds of the cars and everyone got hyped up to see who would win the race.

Everyone cheered loudly when they saw that the blue Subaru was a few meters in front and there was no way that the Mustang could catch up. Suwoong crossed the finish line first and everyone was cheering.

“You did a good job, bro!” Daehyun said as he walked toward Suwoong once the guy got out of his car.

Suwoong smiled sheepishly as he rubbed his neck, “Um thank you? It’s all thanks to you.. If not for you..”

“Nahh. You are born to be a racer. I barely helped.”

“But still, thank you.” Suwoong smiled shyly, his fingers nervously fiddling with each other.

“And as I promised, here you go.” Daehyun took a key out of his pocket and tossed it to Suwoong.

The guy gasped as he looked at the key then to Daehyun, “You are kidding me!”

Daehyun shrugged, patting the guy on the shoulder. “I promised you.”

Before Suwoong could say anything, everyone scrambled to get into their cars when they heard the blaring sirens of the police. “.” Daehyun cursed as he also quickly jumped into his car. He noticed the red Dodge Viper of his rival and followed him because he needed to find out who was it. He couldn’t be bothered by the police because escaping them was easy for him.

But after a while of following the masked man, Daehyun lost track of his rival after the red Dodge Viper made a turn and it was never seen again. He took out his phone, tapping on a contact of his.

“Track who is the owner of this car. Red Dodge Viper. Plate number RK007”