chapter 1

Speed Chaser

The sound of the revving engine overtook the blaring of the rock music playing from the stereo on the loft of the garage. Himchan was testing the car again with the laptop on his lap and Yongguk would constantly check the engine to inform his partner in the car.

The brothers opened the garage a few years ago for those who wanted to fix their expensive sports car. They were also known among racers because they could renovate cars and paint them.  Their garage was spacious with checkered tiles, a loft, and the tools were neatly hanged on the wall.

“Hey Chan, I think you shoulda check dis out.” Yongguk said as he found something was wrong with the engine of the Ferrari 458 belonged to one of their customers.

Himchan put his laptop aside as he came out of the car, checking on the engine to see what was wrong with it. He furrowed his eyebrows, thinking that everything should be fine but Yongguk was looking like he was trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

“I think- “

“Yo Brotha!” Someone walked inside the garage with a wide grin on his face and dressed in all black attire, grabbing the attention of Himchan and Yongguk.

Himchan chuckled and half hugged the guy who just came in, patting his back, “Hey Dae, you know you always look like you just went to someone’s funeral.”

“You know I always love black.” Daehyun strutted towards Yongguk and fist bumped with him as their greeting signature.

Himchan and Yongguk had known Daehyun for two years after Daehyun kept coming back to their garage to get their services because he said their services were the best so they became good friends. It was usually Daehyun who came to hang out at the garage on the weekend mostly but when he had time on weekdays, he would come too.

 “Nah but tryin’ otha colours wouldn’t hurt.” Himchan said as he went back to his laptop and saved everything before shutting it down.

“Just let his do what he wanna do Chan.”

“You heard Yongguk. That’s why I like him man.” Daehyun laughed as Himchan pouted at his older brother because he was siding with the former.

“So what makes you come here? “ Yongguk asked as he went to another car for the last check up before his customer came to fetch their beauty in the evening.

“Nothin’. Just wanna hangout.” Daehyun said as he walked around the garage, grabbing random tools and fiddling with it before grabbing another one after he put down the one he was holding.

“Come to the loft.”

They climbed the narrow staircase to the loft and Daehyun sat down on the couch as Himchan fixed him a drink before lowering the volume of the stereo. The latter sat down next to his friend after putting the cup of coffee on the coffee table.

“So how have you been doin’?” Himchan asked, staring at the slumped figure with eyes closed next to him.

“in’ tired. The works are pilin’ up but for now it’s over.” Daehyun sighed heavily and sat up properly again. “I missed racin’ dude.”

“You shouldn’t worry yo . Just tell me tha time n’ date, I will set up everythin’.”

Daehyun chuckled softly and took a sip from the coffee as he noticed a young guy like a few years younger than him running into the garage before wrapping his arms around Yongguk’s frame. He put down the cup as he curiously looked down at the guy with the fluffy hair and high cheeks, and when he smiled, his eyes would turn crescent. He is not that tall in Daehyun’s opinion since he can snuggle his face in Yongguk’s chest.

“Bro, who’s that cutie?”

Himchan perked up at the mention of the ‘cutie’ and stood up quickly, walking towards the railing and waving down at the ‘cutie’ below him. “Hey Jae? Where’s you goin’?”

“Oh Himchan hyung! I want to go out with my friends for a while. I promise I will go home before 8!” That ‘cutie’ raised up his palm as he makes his best puppy face to ask for his brothers’ permission.

“Okay.. take care!”

“Thank you hyung!”

Daehyun watched the guy hugged Yongguk again before skipping out of the garage, his backpack bouncing behind him. But the guy turned back around again once he was at the entrance, meeting Daehyun’s eyes for a second before he broke the eye contact with a scrunched face.

“Who is he?”

“Oh. Youngjae my brotha.”

“Your brotha? Why I had never seen him before?” Daehyun furrowed his brows, not expecting Himchan to have another younger brother besides Zelo and Jongup.

“Hm.. he was in London for three years. Just comin’ back after graduating.”

“He must be smart. And cute too.”

“You ain’t tryin’ to bang his right? Watch out dude. I’m his brotha.” Himchan scrunched up his face as he sat back down.

“Not like that Chan. He just looks cute n’ innocent.” Daehyun held back a smile as Youngjae’s face kept replaying in his mind. How his fluffy hair covered his forehead, how his smile could light up the whole world, and how his voice sounded like music to his ears. He thought, he already fell for this guy named Youngjae.

 

 

Daehyun looked at the reflection of himself in the mirror, dressing in his favourite outfit which is black skinny and black leather jacket. After styling his hair, he walked out of his bedroom and passed by the living room, not noticing the existent of his father there until his father cleared his throat.

“Where are you going Daehyun?” his father says, his tablet was put aside.

“Oh.. just hanging out with friends.. like usual on weekends..” Daehyun trailed off his words just in case his father caught him lying that he wanted to go for car racing.

“I know what you always do son. Just don’t get in trouble”

Daehyun nodded awkwardly and walked out quickly after putting on his shoes. He got into his black white Nissan GT-R and drove to his usual place for racing, feeling the adrenaline rushed through his body after it had been weeks since his last race. When he arrived at the place, most of the people were there already and he noticed Himchan and Yongguk sitting on top of their cars.

He made his way to his friends but got stopped by a few girls trying to flirt with him and he flirted back. It was not like he liked the girls, he just liked flirting with them because it amused him to see them got fluttered with just a flick of his fingers.

“Yo Chan and Guk!” Daehyun greeted them as they fist bumped.

“Are you ready for tonight? There’s dis newbie wanna go against you. Oh ho it’s gonna be in’ fantastic!” Himchan told him which route they were going to use so he could set up his GPS and what was their bet for the night. Usually Daehyun was never into the bet since they always used money for betting. Why you want money when you were rich as ? But tonight’s bet was quite fun. The loser had to strip! Oh he was not going to embarrass himself in front of these people.

As they were waiting for the race to start, Daehyun leaned against Himchan’s car as they talk. It was that moment when he forgot how to breathe because Youngjae was standing in front of the car with pouty lips.

“Hyuunnggg!! Why do I have to come with you? I can just stay at home alone!!” Youngjae whined while stomping his feet childishly.

“No. No one is home. Jongup and Zelo stayed at their friend’s tonight.” Himchan casually said.

“Yeahhh but I’m not a kid anymoreee! And this place is so boring! The people are also trying to flirt with me!” Daehyun held back his laugh when he saw Youngjae scrunched his face disgustingly.

“Shh.. the real fun will start later. Just wait for a while”

Youngjae huffed and crossed his arms on his chest, lips still pouty when he turned around to lean on the car. Himchan plopped a candy into his mouth, jumping off the car when everybody was there. He called for everyone to gather by the side and told the racers to get ready with their cars on the road.

Daehyun stretched his body and stood next to Youngjae, “Hi Youngjae.” Youngjae did not say anything and just kept mum, his forehead creased slightly. “Cheer for me later okay?” Daehyun chuckled and ruffled Youngjae’s hair which the latter swatted away quickly like a fly was bothering him.

Daehyun got into his car and drove to the starting line. He knew some of his opponents and the new face- maybe the newbie Himchan talked about. The revving of the cars filled the silent night air as a girl with nice figure stood in front of the line with a flag. She held the flag up before flagging it down, signing the cars to speed off as the people cheered loudly.

Daehyun was behind a few cars and he smirked when the newbie car wanted to overtake him. He was not going to let that happened as he kept up with the newbie, just wanting to . When he glanced to the car next to him, he could see the newbie’s mad expression when he always blocked his way.

It was halfway from the starting place that he thought it was time for him to let the newbie go. He shifted his gear as the acceleration went up and his car was flying on the road, overtaking a few cars and making a perfect drift at the corner.

When the finishing line was within his sight, there was only a car in front of him and the distance between him and the car was not that far. He used the nitro boost to increase his speed and his car reached the finish line with little distance between him and the car he overtook at the last minute.

As he got out of the car, he smiled when he saw Youngjae standing next to Himchan but his face was expressionless. Himchan pulled him into a hug but his eyes were still on Youngjae.

When the last car reached the finish line, it shocked almost all the people there because it was not the newbie that was in the last place.

“Hey Chan. What’s that newbie’s name? I told ya he’s got skills. Just need to sharpen it.”

“Oh. He’s Suwoong. A few years younger than you.”

“Tell Zico to take the boy in.” Daehyun muttered.

The people were already gathered to see the loser stripped. Daehyun looked at the loser with amusement as he took his clothes off one by one, getting cheered by the others except his friends. When he was about to take off his boxers, Daehyun quickly covered Youngjae’s eyes with his palm, not wanting Youngjae’s innocent eyes to be tainted with such a dirty look.

After the loser got dressed back, he let his hand fell back to his side and Youngjae was glaring at him hard. If look could kill, he guessed he must have a big hole going through his body.

“Woahh there.. I’m.. sorry.” Daehyun quickly apologized as he glanced between Himchan and Youngjae. Himchan had an amused look on his face when he saw his brother’s interaction with his friend.

Himchan burst out laughing when Youngjae stomped back to his car with a scowl on his face. “Dude, you tryna hit on my brother? I told ya he’s not easy.”

“Goddd. He’s cute when he’s angry too.” Daehyun groaned loudly as he ran his fingers through his hair.

 

 

Youngjae hummed happily as he styled his hair neatly through the reflection on his mirror. Making sure that there was no crease on his white button up, he grinned and patted his shoulder before whispering “Fighting!” to himself. He went to the kitchen and saw both of his younger brothers were already sitting at the dining table, eating their breakfast.

“Morning Jello and Uppie!!” he greeted his brothers and sat down on the opposite seat, taking a bite of his pancake.

“Uh morning hyung.. where are you going today?” Jongup asked, looking at his brother’s neat button up.

“OH! It’s my first day going to work.” he said excitedly. “Where’s Yongguk and Himchan hyung?”

“They left early to the garage.”

“I see… “

After finishing their breakfast, Youngjae bid his brothers good bye as they parted ways. Youngjae walked in the direction to his brothers’ garage just a few blocks from their house, skipping slightly in his steps.

He greeted his brothers, getting a curious look from the both of them seeing their younger brother in button up.

“Where are you goin’ dressed like that?” Yongguk asked as he leaned against the car hood.

“I’m going to work! It’s my first day!” Youngjae said excitedly just like he told his younger brothers this morning.

Himchan raised a brow and stood up from his seat to face Youngjae, “Work? When did you go for interview? You didn’t tell me?”

“Oh.. I just went there for fun. Never thought I would get the job though..”

“Well.. take care then. Want Yongguk hyung to send you ?”

“It’s okay! I came here just to tell you guys. Bye hyunggg!!” he waved at them as he walked backward until they were out of his sight.

When he arrived at the building where he would work at, he looked at the time and found that he was 15 minutes early. Walking towards the receptionist, he handed the offer letter to her as she scanned the letter. A few minutes later, she gave him back the letter and told him the correct floor he should go and the person he should find.

Youngjae thanked her before getting into the elevator, pushing on the top floor button and waiting patiently for the elevator to move up sometimes had to stop because people were going in and out. When he reached the top floor which was the 15th floor, he peeked inside the office and saw the employees were already there facing their computers. Taking a few steps inside the office, he stopped a lady who passed by him.

“Err.. where is the room of Jung Donggyun?”

“Who might you be, sir?” the lady asked with a smile on her face.

“I’m new here and the receptionist told me to find the person named Jung Donggyun, saying he’s the CEO here.. my name is Yoo Youngjae.”

“Right. Follow me.” The lady led him to the room at the end of the hallway and knocked on it twice before opening it.

“Mr Jung, this is the new employee. ”

An old man in his fifty sat down at the desk looked up from his paperwork to Youngjae and he smiled. “You must be Yoo Youngjae?”

“Y-Yes sir. I am.” Youngjae mentally slapped his back for stuttering in front of his employer but the old man didn’t seem to mind as he motioned for Youngjae to sit down on the seat.

“So Mr Yoo, I have looked at your resume and supporting documents. Are you okay for being an assistant for three months? Then I will get you into a higher position if you show excellent performance.”

“I don’t mind, sir. Having a chance to work at a big company like this already makes me feeling grateful.” Youngjae smiled widely, feeling slightly happy to get some work experience at a big company.

“I will ask my assistant to show you your place and who you will work for.”

A few minutes later, the lady from before walked in and motioned for Youngjae to follow her. There was a cubicle which was the opposite to a room next to the CEO’s room and if his boss were to be in the room, he could clearly see what Youngjae was doing. The lady told him that was his desk and his boss would come in a few minutes so he could introduce him to everyone.

Youngjae thanked her and sat down on the chair, looking around and already imagining how he would decorate his desk to look more attractive. Then he the computer, too nervous to click on anything just in case he got blamed for just clicking randomly.

A round of “Good morning, sir.” alerted Youngjae and he looked up to see who it was, widening his eyes when his eyes met those eyes that were quite familiar to him.

“Oh? Youngjae?”

 


A/N; i have written until chapter 3 but i have writer block orz but i already have the ending planned lmao. what to do with me. fml. kms. comment juseyoo <3 <3