chapter 4

Speed Chaser

It was just a normal day at work. Youngjae got along well with his co-workers and most men were jealous of him because he was popular among the ladies. Some of the male co-workers were attracted to Youngjae as well. It was because of his cute but manly look and when he spoke, his voice so soft that would melt everyone’s heart. Every day, he would get random pick-up lines either from the same person or a few of the others. He found that amusing and not bothering him at all because he knew they were not really serious.

After apologizing to Daehyun, he felt at ease when he came to work but still nervous to be around Daehyun in the office because the Daehyun at work and off work were totally a different personality. How he could manage to do that was still a wonder to Youngjae.

The clock showed that it was almost the end of lunch hour and most of the employees were getting back in their seats, some even got time to take a short nap. Youngjae approached a group of ladies that were in the middle of gossiping about the rumors spreading in the building. When they saw him approaching, they immediately pulled a chair out and pulled him to sit down before he could say anything.

“Youngjae, have you heard the rumor about the ghost in the janitor closet on the ground floor? Omo! I’m so scared. I don’t want to stay late anymore.” One of the ladies waves her arms frantically before looking at him in the eyes. “Don’t stay until late at night okay? I don’t want you to get hurt sweetie.”

Youngjae chuckled and shook his head, prying the woman’s hand off his arm gently. “Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. It’s just a rumor and it might not be true.”

“Yeah, Youngjae is right. You are just being dramatic, Soyeon.” The rest of the ladies chuckled, making Soyeon pouted sulkily.

“AH! Have you guys know that the receptionist guy is dating Manager Jang! She’s like 10 years older than him!”

Youngjae tuned out what the ladies were talking about as his head turned towards his employer’s room. The clear glass door made Youngjae could clearly see the person behind Daehyun’s back. Is it his girlfriend?

Maybe he could ask his co-workers. “Hey, may I ask something? Who’s the girl in Mr. Jung’s room?”

All of them turned their head to look at Daehyun’s room and rolled their eyes in sync.

“She’s a . Mr.Jung has made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with her but still, she still comes over. She’s so fake in front of everyone.” Everyone nodded, agreeing to what their co-worker was saying and Youngjae wondered why they hated her so much.

“By the way Youngjae, may I ask you something personal?” they looked at each other as if they knew what question was going to ask from their friend.

“Yeah sure.” Youngjae gave his bright smile.

“Is it true that you’re.. uh.. gay?”

“Yeah I am. Does that make you uncomfortable?” Youngjae looked down at his lap. He was not a person that would hide his ual preference but he would avoid people that were not comfortable with him being gay.

“NO!” the ladies said in unison which scared Youngjae a little bit. “W-We are okay with that. We are just hoping if you know any man that you could introduce to us.”

Youngjae blinked once, twice before he let out a soft chuckle. “Sure. I have a lot of guy friends.”

In the middle of them being excited when Youngjae said that, they halted what they were doing when they heard the click clack of heels. There she was. Smiling with his oh-so-fake smile and waving to the ladies with a ‘Good bye’. No wonder they hate her. It’s so obvious.

 

Not long after the lady that everyone hated left, Youngjae was called by Daehyun to get into his office room. Everyone dismissed and returned to their works as the lunch hour is already over. He knocked on the door three times before he heard his boss telling him to come inside so he did as he was told.

Youngjae stood in front of Daehyun’s desk, nervously fiddling with his fingers as he waits for Daehyun to look up at him. Daehyun was too focused on his laptop, typing away what Youngjae didn’t even know so Youngjae has no choice but to ask his boss of his intention for calling him inside the room.

“Um.. Mr. Jung.. may I help you with something?”

Youngjae almost gasped loudly when Daehyun finally lifted his head up, his sharp stare focusing on Youngjae but soon it left his face as Daehyun tried to figure out what he was going to make Youngjae do.

“Ah.. I forgot. So next month, you will be coming with me to Jeju Island for business trip. I want you to book two rooms for us. I will email you the details so you are dismissed. If you have anything to ask, just feel free to come and ask me.” Then Daehyun returned back to his work and Youngjae bowed a little to leave the room but he was stopped when a girl suddenly entered the room, bright smile on her face.

“Daehyun oppa!!” the girl ran towards Daehyun and wrapped her arms around him. Youngjae blinked, wondering whom might the girl be as Daehyun got up from his seat to hug her back with a wide smile.

“Daeun! What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at school now?” Daehyun frowned as he looked at the time on his watch.

“Aish! Tonight is the prom night so we could go home early today.”

“Ah.. have you eaten?”

“Not yet. That is why I came here. I wanted to ask you out for lunch. You must have not eaten yet right!” the girl named Daeun said, her hands on her hips and her lips pouted.

“Alright.. alright.. Anything for my little sister here.”

Daeun smiled happily as her brother took his stuffs to go out with her but then she turned around, frozen in place when her eyes met Youngjae’s startled expression.

“Oppa.. who is this guy?”

Daehyun looked up, frowning when he saw Youngjae still standing in his room after he had dismissed him. “Do you need anything?”

Youngjae gulped, his eyes quickly darting around as he tried to come out with an excuse, “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to listen to your conversation with your sister. I-I’ll get going now.” He was going to make a turn to leave the room but was stopped by Daeun’s voice.

“Wait!” Daeun walked a few steps towards Youngjae as she observed the guy closely before she squealed loudly. “Oh my god! Oppa! Who is this cute guy?! He’s totally my type!”

Youngjae looked up and he noticed the slight changing of expression on Daehyun’s face but he did not know what kind of expression the other was wearing. “That is my new assistant, Youngjae.”

“N-Nice to meet you, miss.” Youngjae forced out the best smile on his face towards his boss’ sister and she cooed as she pinched his cheek, which quite hurt by the way.

“Let him go Daeun. You said you wanted to eat.”

“Ah yes! My stomach is growling. See you again Mr. Assistant.” Daeun smiled as she pulled her brother out of his room, leaving Youngjae standing awkwardly in the middle of the room and he did not realize he had been holding in his breath.

After a while, Youngjae got back to his desk and started looking at the email Daehyun sent to him earlier then he started to look for available hotel to stay at Jeju. Once he booked two rooms, he printed out the receipt, putting it in the file that he would give to Daehyun later.

 

 

It was weekend so Daehyun was hanging out at Yongguk and Himchan’s garage since the evening and he didn’t feel like going out to join the race because he was just not in the mood. That was when Himchan said that he would carry out the plan because based on Jongup’s information, Youngjae’s boyfriend would always hang out at the same club a few blocks away and leave the club around midnight, drunk and had a girl clinging to him.

So that night, Himchan made Youngjae come to the garage to bring something that he needed from home then purposefully asking Youngjae to go buy him some snacks from the convenience store. Being the good little brother Youngjae was, he complied without complaints.

But then, it was midnight and Himchan asked Daehyun to go with his brother since he was worried of his brother’s safety which made Youngjae pouted, saying that he was already an adult. But he complied nonetheless.

So Daehyun walked next to Youngjae as they headed to the convenience store a few blocks away from the garage, none of them were talking because it was quite awkward between them.

When they reached the store, Youngjae took what Himchan told him to buy, a few cartons of milk, cans of soda, and some chips. And Daehyun paid for it all, because Youngjae forgot to bring his wallet and Himchan also forgot to give some money to Youngjae. Usually he was always the reminder.

As they were walking back to the garage, Youngjae looked at Daehyun and tried to take the plastic bag from him because he insisted he wanted to carry it for him.

“Um Daehyun, you know I can carry that bag right.. Please? You have paid for it and you don’t have to carry it for me too..” Youngjae felt guilty because first, he forgot his wallet and Daehyun has to pay for it and second, he let Daehyun carried the bag in first place.

“It’s okay. It’s not that heavy anyway. And all of these is on me. My treat.” Daehyun offered him a smile, but soon his phone vibrated in his pocket and he took it out. A message from Jongup.

Jongup: Hyung, get ready to get into action. I saw that bastard leaving the club with a lady.

Daehyun: I’m on my way home with Youngjae.

Jongup: Ah! I already see you both. Jihoon is nearby.

Daehyun was about to reply to Jongup when he heard Youngjae’s gasp before the latter ran across the road without looking. Fortunately there was not so many cars and Daehyun quickly followed after him.

“Youngjae wait!”

Youngjae didn’t listen to him as he continued to follow behind someone, trying to catch up with that person. Daehyun noticed that Youngjae had been chasing Jihoon. His steps became quicker once he was sure that the drunk guy was Jihoon and not just some random dude coming out of the club with a girl clinging to him.

“Jihoon!” Youngjae growled as he spun his boyfriend around, his eyes meeting Jihoon’s hazy gaze.

“Hey babe!” Jihoon smiled widely as he tried to hug Youngjae but Youngjae stepped back from him, his stare shifting from Jihoon to the girl in his arm.

“Who’s this?!” Youngjae almost screamed but he tried to maintain his cool.

Jihoon looked at the girl in his arm, his words coming out like a slur and he smiled drunkenly, “This.. woman here.. she’s just my friend.” Youngjae was not a fool. How can a friend be this intimate with their friend.

“Youngjae..” Youngjae was about to punch his boyfriend in the face when he heard Daehyun calling his name from behind. Without thinking, he cupped Daehyun’s face and kissed him on the lips. The world seemed to stop as Daehyun blinked, his mind trying to process what had just happened. But when the lips on his moved, convincing him to kiss him back, he did kiss Youngjae back hesitantly.

Youngjae pulled from the kiss and looked at Jihoon, his boyfriend was looking at him wide eyed, not believing that his innocent boyfriend just kissed another guy in front of him.

“What? You think you are the only one that can cheat on me? I can too. Now we are over! I don’t want to have anything to do with you, !” Youngjae spat the words to his face, turning around as he pulled Daehyun’s hand and walking home quickly, leaving his ex-boyfriend that kept calling for his name.

 


hi. i know that i dont usually update but..uh.. i have written until chapter 6 already during this week because i have the mood to write.

please give this story a lot of love <3 T.T thanks to those that subscribed, upvoted, and commented. and to those that support this story as well. i love you guys <3