chapter 5

Speed Chaser

Daehyun followed Youngjae home that night. He called Himchan to inform him of what happened after they had reached home and Youngjae had gone straight to his room. Jongup whom saw everything that happened arrived home a few minutes after them, asking Daehyun how Youngjae was.

Daehyun was confused and everything happened a bit too fast for him to catch up so he told Jongup to just go check on his brother. The rest of Youngjae’s siblings came home after they heard of what had happened.

Himchan had expected this to happen but he just wanted his brother to see it for himself. It was better to get hurt knowing the truth than being happy in a lie.

So Jongup went upstairs and knocked on Youngjae’s door thrice. When he didn’t hear any response from his brother, he tried to turn the door knob. Fortunately, the door was unlocked so he opened the door and he saw Youngjae was sobbing quietly, his face was covered with his pillow.

“Hyung..” Jongup dragged his feet slowly towards his brother then he sat down on the edge of the bed, his hand reaching out for him. “Hyung.. do you want a hug?”

There was no response for a while. When Jongup was about to open his mouth to ask his brother again, he was wrapped in Youngjae’s arms. The latter’s arms tightened around him and Jongup tried to hug his brother back, rubbing his back in soothing circle, telling him to calm down.

“W-why he d-did this to me..” Youngjae’s voice was low, each word was mixed his sobbing.

“He doesn’t deserve you anyway hyung. He’s an . You deserve someone wayyyy better than that idiot.” Jongup tried to assure his brother and he ran his fingers through Youngjae’s hair.

“B-But I-I love him..”

“I’m sure one day you will get someone that will love you and appreciate you and won’t hurt you. You are such a nice person hyung.” Jongup smiled, thinking of their childhood where Youngjae would always comfort him when he got scolded by their parents, or when Youngjae would always buy him ice cream when he was having a bad day. Youngjae would always has a special place in his heart. “It’s already late. You should go to sleep.”

After Jongup had tucked Youngjae into bed, his brother told him to stay with him so Jongup did. Not long after, Youngjae fell asleep and Jongup was about to leave the room when Daehyun came knocking on the door.

“How is he?” Daehyun asked as he peeked into the room.

“Ah.. he’s asleep hyung. You can come in if you want to check on him.”

Daehyun slowly entered the room while Jongup made his way to the door. “Um.. I’ll be leaving. You can stay with him.”

“Thanks Uppie.”

After Jongup left, Daehyun sat down on the edge of the bed next to Youngjae and he hesitantly reached his hand out to brush Youngjae’s hair out of his face. But the moment his hand grazed slightly against the skin of the other’s forehead, Daehyun froze like a statue as Youngjae caught his hand.

He breathed a sigh of relief when Youngjae mumbled something in his sleep and pulled Daehyun’s hand close to his chest. Youngjae’s hand was warm and his calm sleeping face made Daehyun’s heart skipped a beat.

“I’m sorry for what happened to you just now..”

Daehyun wanted to move his hand but he didn’t want to wake Youngjae up because his grip on his hand was quite tight so he said to himself that he would wait until Youngjae released his hand so he could leave.

 

 

The morning sunlight seeped through the crack of the curtains and hit Youngjae’s face with its warmth. Youngjae cracked open his eyes, his surrounding quite blurred so he rubbed his eyes, feeling his body a bit warmer than usual and the area around his waist was heavy. The moment he could registered everything around him, he screamed and kicked the person that was cuddling with him on the bed because that was definitely not Jongup.

“Who are you?! What are you doing on my bed?! Did you do something to me when I was unconscious?! I’m calling the police!!” Youngjae yelled frantically as he pointed his hand at the groaning man on the floor and his hand gripping on the blanket to cover his body.

Daehyun groaned loudly, his hurt and he almost hit his head on the floor from Youngjae’s kick. “Jae.. it’s me..” He said as he slowly lifted his head to reveal his face.

Youngjae gasped once Daehyun revealed his face and he quickly got out of bed to help Daehyun to get up. “Daehyun!! I’m so sorry! W-Why were you here?”

“I came to check on you last night but you didn’t want to let my hand go and I fell asleep next to you. Sorry..” Daehyun rubbed his nape from the embarrassment.

Hearing the ruckus upstairs, Himchan was the one that appeared in front of Youngjae’s door. His face was full of worry. “What happened kids?”

“A-Ah nothing hyung. I just.. accidentally kicked Daehyun to the floor…” Youngjae’s face was red from the embarrassment.

Himchan stared at the both of them, Daehyun was still rubbing his as Youngjae was still looking at Daehyun with concerned. That was until Himchan burst out laughing that made the both of them frowned.

“What?” both of them asked at the same time.

“Err.. nothing. Daehyun just looks funny with his hurt. Anyway, breakfast is ready. Come down and eat.”

“You-“ Daehyun almost strangled the cackling Himchan but his still hurt so he let Himchan go.

“Come on Daehyun. Can you get up? And uh.. I’m sorry for what I did to you last night.”

“It’s okay. I-I’m alright. Let’s go.”

 

Dust particles floated around the room when Youngjae pulled out a box from under his bed. It has been a while since he last opened it and now the box was full of dust on top of it. He used his hand to dust off the box before opening it, flash of memories came to mind as he stared at the box full of pictures. Mostly of his ex-boyfriend.

It had been two weeks of cooping in his room, only leaving for work, and willing himself not to cry. The process of move on was hard but he managed to take the first step which was blocking his ex-boyfriend’s number. His family tried to help him and he could not thank them enough for the patience they had to comfort him.

And as day by day passed, the sadness had gone away and a little bit of anger took its place in his heart. He took the pictures of him and Jihoon, not bothering to look at them as he put it in the trash can but a picture of little him holding hand with his biological mother caught his attention.

“Mom.. I miss you so much”. Youngjae smiled as he caressed his mother’s face in the picture.

“Gukkie! Channie! Don’t run in the hallways!” a lady in her early 40s scolded her sons who were playing tag in the hospital hallway with a kid a few years younger than them.

“Youngjae baby, I told you not to run in the hospital right?” another lady sighed as her son was playing with two other kids.

“Mommy, I met new friends! Gukkie hyung and Channie hyung!” little Youngjae grinned brightly as he jogged up to his mother.

“It’s good then. Be good to them okay?” the woman smiled as she ruffled her son’s hair. “But don’t run in the hospital again okay? It’s not a place to play.”

“Okay mommy! Then I’m going to tell that to Gukkie and Channie hyung~” little Youngjae skipped off to meet his new friends again.

“Excuse me? Was that your son?” the woman in her early 40s asked Mrs. Yoo that was sitting a few seats away next to her in the waiting room.

Mrs.Yoo looked at her and nodded, smiling a little. “Yeah.. I bet Gukkie and Channie are your sons?”

The lady chuckled softly, her eyes crinkled slightly. “Yes. Looks like they have become good friends now. I always seen you around. Why?”

“Ah.. I have regular appointments with my doctor. It’s…”, Mrs.Yoo’s expression fell but he quickly replaced it with a smile though it looked kind of sad, “cancer.”

After a few meetings, both of the women sort of becoming friends with each other. And when the doctor said Mrs.Yoo could not live longer, she told her new friend, Mrs.Kim to take care of her son. Youngjae was just a little boy. He was innocent and didn’t know what happened to his mother when Mrs.Kim took him home. But he was happy because he had friends. His friends had another little brother that was younger than him.

But when he was told that his mother had gone from this world forever and he would never meet her again, he was confused and asked many questions of why he would never meet her again although he cried a lot asking why his mother left him. So Yongguk and Himchan were the one that comforted him.

Youngjae was treated like Mrs.Kim’s own son. He was loved by the family. He was three year old when his mother left and he moved in to live with Mrs.Kim’s family, and he did not remember how his father ever looked like. He has no photo of him, no memories. Just his mother.

“Dad… Mom, who is my real dad?”

 

 


it's short. im sorry TT