brokeback mountain

fake it [til you make it]

"So I've got this ing idea, right," Taehyung says in the dressing room a few days later, smacking his cherry balm lips a few times. Taehyung's dyed his hair a bright raspberry colour for their Save Me promotions, and Jungkook has to admit it looks really damn good when he's made up like this. His green contact lenses give him this otherworldly-ethereal look that's got Jungkook staring a little harder than he should. He's not sure he'd ever have the balls to let the stylists go so wild with his own hair. 

Their stylists and makeup artists have retreated to the couches after doing their hard work and the rest of the members are taking a well earned snooze, leaving the two with a moment of privacy that Taehyung immediately leaps on. Jungkook lives in a constant state of hypervigilance ever since the start of the bet. 

"What exactly is this... ing idea?" Jungkook's a little suspicious after the whole monopoly fiasco (which was admittedly really hilarious, but still) and eyes his hyung with trepidation 

"It's so ing," Taehyung reassures, only succeeding in unreassuring Jungkook. "Have you ever seen Brokeback mountain?" 

Oh, Jungkook so knows where this is going. It's Sunday night, Namjoon's self appointed movie bonding night. He'd proposed the idea before they'd even debuted that every Sunday, no matter how tired, they had to gather together to watch a movie for the sake of team bonding. Honestly, Jungkook's seen far too many rewatches of Titanic to really appreciate the idea anymore.  

"Right," Jungkook says, "so you want us to suggest we watch Brokeback mountain? Just casually?" 

Taehyung laughs. "No, I want you to suggest it." 

Jungkook groans. "Why me?" 

"Because for the last three weeks I've forced everyone to watch my movie choices and I think if I push my luck even further Namjoon might actually kill me." Taehyung looks mildly troubled at this. "But you never request to watch anything so they'll jump on your idea straight away!" 

Jungkook eyes him. "I dunno hyung, are you sure this isn't just you wanting to watch the movie and are dragging me into this under the guise of our... arrangement just to get your way?" 

Taehyung turns his beady eyes onto him, hurt. "Jungkook... would I ever do that to you?" 

Unhesitatingly, "yes."  

"You're right," he deadpans, turning back to the mirror for some final sprucing before they jump on stage. "But not in this case! Do you think I would actually subject myself to the torturous angst of that movie when we could be watching the Bee Movie?" 

Taehyung does have a point. 

"This way it's like, a shock in the first place that you're requesting a movie, and Brokeback mountain at that! I'm at least 80% sure most of them are gonna start questioning why this movie. It's the perfect gay ruse."  

"I guess," Jungkook agrees, voice pained and reluctant. Though, it's not that he actually has any qualms about watching the movie or anything, but sometimes he likes to piss Taehyung off by pretending to disagree and argue with him. It's the small things in life.  

Taehyung looks him right in the eye grins that stupid box grin of his and Jungkook's heart speeds up for reasons that are currently undiscernible to him. He's probably just kind of afraid of Taehyung, or whatever. Ever since this stupid bet he's been feeling weird around the other boy; he's overthinking all the simple touches and smiles that they used to share without any thought now, always wondering if it was because of the bet or because Taehyung actually just wanted to play with him. His brain is a big mess. 

"Hey, you should totally cry while watching it too for extra effect." 

Jungkook glares. "I'm not going to cry. How depressing could it possibly be?" 

 

Very depressing, Jungkook realises about halfway through the film. Very, very depressing.   

Jack Twist stands with his hands on his hips, staring out into the mountainside that had become his and Ennis's safe place to be together, to be who they are. "I wish I knew how to quit you," Jack Twist says, and Jungkook's heart turns into a pretzel of emotions.  

Taehyung's holding his hand. It's warm and solid, a comforting presence to his distraught self. His hand feels like it's burning up and tingling where Taehyung's touches his so he squeezes tighter to get more of the pleasant feeling.  

He looks down at the younger boy who's sort of tucked himself into Jungkook's side, eyes glistening with unshed tears. Jungkook notices the way the teardrops stick to his long lashes, beading and catching the light. It's a mesmerising sight, and Jungkook gets caught up staring until Taehyung tilts his head up to look at him. They both just gaze at each other for a few seconds, like time has frozen and neither of them can really think of anything to say.  

Hoseok breaks the moment by bursting into a loud sob, and Jungkook snaps his gaze back to the T.V, shaking his head because it feels all fuzzy and weird for some reason, and his chest is all tight. It must be the movie. 

 Hoseok and Jimin are openly sobbing while the rest dab at their eyes and blink furiously to stop the tears from falling.  

"Why did you suggest this, you sick bastard?!" Hoseok demands, face red and blotchy. "You cruel human being." 

It's not even his fault and he's taking the blame! Unbelievable. When Jungkook had piped up that he had a movie he'd like to watch, the hyungs all gathered around him like puppies looking at their dinner. They'd been more than happy to accommodate his wishes and had flicked the movie on, though Namjoon and Seokjin had given him this sly kind of look out of the corners of their eyes.   

The movie flies on and Jungkook's heart just about stops when Ennis opens the letter, because what? No? This is actually bull? He really does start crying then and so does everyone else and it's one big tear fest and Jungkook kind of wants to kill Taehyung for making him with this horrendous film. The movie slows to an end and Namjoon flicks the lights back on. 

After they've all settled down and Seokjin's eaten an entire tub of icecream by himself, Namjoon turns to Jungkook. "What made you want to watch this movie, Jungkook?" He says in a slow, steady voice that reminds him of a parent trying to pry information from their child without being overbearing. I'm not judging you, just tell me all your secrets.  

Jungkook's sweating. He's not good at this on the spot stuff like Taehyung is. "Uh," he says. 

"Yeah?" 

"Because..." his eyes are darting to Taehyung for help but the 's still sobbing into his hands or something and won't look at him. "Because... gay love is just," he holds his fist up and clenches it, "so pure." Jungkook's cringing integrally so hard and he kind of wants to die. 

Namjoon clears his throat and gives him a meaningful look. "Yes, it is. There's nothing wrong with gay love, nothing at all." 

Ok, so Jungkook's a little dense, but even he's not dense enough to miss what's going on here. Of all the people to catch on to their little scheme, he's not surprised that it’s Namjoon. Ever since he'd been appointed leader he'd made it his job to have his eyes on each and every single one of them. Namjoon wasn't really their intended target, but Hoseok's lying face down on the floor and still crying about the unfairness of this world. "Uh. Yeah. I guess. Gay love is great?" 

"Gay love is beautiful," Namjoon agrees, nodding wisely.  

Seokjin's listening in on the exchange with his hand on his forehead, covering his eyes in what might be exasperation. He thinks he hears him whisper something like "oh my god, Namjoon. Way to go."