Chapter 2

Sitting on the Fence

Chapter 2

Yixing slipped his shoes off his sore feet and placed them on the shoe rack.

He looked at his apartment with a judging eye. Despite the general cleanliness of the space, he felt the need to clean.

His thoughts were clouded with “this friend.” After Chanyeol left he had been dumbstruck with curiosity. The younger hadn’t gave him any solid facts about “this friend” other than he was tall and he was male.

Questions upon questions plagued his mind. What was his likes and dislikes? What was his personality like? Where does he work?

The brunette sighed deeply. All these questions that lacked answers were tiresome. Yet Yixing was determined to fish out answers from that damned Yoda.

And so he finds himself an hour later, punching Chanyeol’s number into his phone.

But after nine times, Chanyeol still doesn’t pick up the ing phone.

Yixing brands this mission as a fail and let’s his mind take a trip to space.

--

In a little over an hour of “flying past Jupiter”, he had long forgotten the so-called potential roommate. He decides to work on his compositions before taking a shower and sleeping.

Yixing took a good look at his appearance in the mirror. Should I bleach my hair? He tugs lightly at the chestnut locks and twiddled them between his fingers.

His tiredness interrupts his internal debate and he knew he would have to get working on a new choreography the next morning. He shuffled his feet towards the bed, stripping his shirt and jogging pants off his body. Yixing tucked himself in his comforter and shut his eyes, until the ringing of his phone startled him.

“Yes…..?” He slurred in sleepy Chinese; his eyes still shut tightly.

“Xing-ge~” Yoda sing-songed, “It’s Chanyeol~”

He transitioned to Korean with little effort, “What is it?”

“So do you remember the roommate I was talking about?” His voice was way too ecstatic for such an ungodly hour.

“Yes, yes..,” Yixing mumbled absentmindedly, consciousness slipping by the millisecond.

The baritone voice of Chanyeol dissipated into silence and only a mantra of “Yes” and “Mhm” escaped his mouth.

--

Yixing woke up early Saturday morning, at what seemed to be 5 or 6. He dragged himself out of his warm refuge, paying no mind to his unruly bed head, and stumbled toward the kitchen. His phone hung haphazardly in his hand as he swung open the cabinet doors. He looked at his selection of cereals and chose the one that would probably put him on an eternal sugar high.

 

The brunette switched on his phone and saw that he had been talking with Chanyeol until 3 AM.

Damn, that’s pretty late.

He poured cereal and milk into a small ceramic bowl and opened his messages. His eyebrows furrowed when he saw that he received a message from an unknown number.

 xxxxxx:  

I’ll see you at 2 PM. Is that okay?

It’s probably just someone who sent a text to the wrong number. Yeah, that’s probably it.

He shoveled a bit more diabetes into his mouth and got to work. After all, he had to improve his choreography.

--

“What?” Yixing wasn’t in his best attire; clad in sweats and a tank top with a neckline that stooped down too low to be legal. He had came home from practicing and his hair was still damp after taking a shower.

“Hi.. My name is Sehun. Nice to meet you.”

Yixing gaped. His mind wasn’t functioning for 3 main reasons.

  1. He was not ready for a visitor whatsoever
  2.  A tall and handsome man was standing in his doorway for reasons unknown.
  3.  He felt he was not presentable (his clothing was too skimpy, wasn’t it?)

The brunette stood there, still gaping, and his cheeks a delicious color of pink.

“Um.. What?” Yixing’s eyes were practically baseballs by now.

“Chanyeol told me I could visit you..” Sehun trailed off, breaking eye contact with him.

you Park Chanyeol.

“Is it not a good time?” Sehun asked, “I could leave-”

“No! No.. It’s okay,” Yixing smiled at him, “Come in.”

He stepped inside and let Sehun take in his apartment.

“I’m going to make a phone call real quick. You can sit on the sofa and watch TV or something.” He gestured to the couch and stormed off to his room, shutting the door behind him.

“Chanyeol!” Yixing whisper-shouted into the phone receiver, “What the ?!”

“Um.. Excuse you?” Chanyeol made sure to put extra sass in what he said. He didn’t expect to be ambushed by Yixing during class.

“Chanyeol, who the is Sehun?!” 

“I told you last night!” The latter were steadily raising their voices.

“Told you last night my . Just tell me!” That can’t possibly be why I was on the phone with Chanyeol so late, right?

“I did! It’s the potential roommate! Oh Sehun! Now stop being so damn salty before I-”

Yixing hung up the phone before he heard Chanyeol's empty threat. He couldn't stall for time any longer, but he was able to place who the “tall and handsome” boy was. He slipped his phone in his pocket and grabbed an oversized hoodie to cover his showy shirt before heading to the door.

“Sorry you had to wait. I just had to make a quick phone call.”

Yixing studied the boy’s features. He had soft looking hair, but it was obviously bleached to a light blonde. The roots were his natural color, black. He also noticed that “Sehun” had a strong and sharp jaw. Don’t cut yourself on it, Yixing. His nose was straight and it was not too big, nor too small. Finally, to accompany his attractive features, was a bored-looking poker face. (Or was it a resting face?)

Sehun looked up from his phone, his hair magically falling into place. “It’s fine,” he replied, his voice monotonous.

“So, where do you work?”

“I’m still studying,” his reply was terse, “It’s nearby.”

He’s pretty young.

An awkward silence heavily coated the room. Yixing the sleeves of his hoodie before speaking up once more.

“Do you want me to show you the room you’re gonna stay in?”

“Sure.” Yet another terse reply.

Yixing guided Sehun to Luhan’s abandoned room. He twisted the squeaky doorknob to reveal a room shrouded darkness. However, everything was tidy and undisturbed. There was an empty wooden desk towards the corner and a wooden wardrobe. There was also a small bed with white pillows and bed sheets tucked in so neatly that wrinkles were nonexistent.

Yixing stared expectantly at Sehun’s face. “It’s a bit small but-” “No, it’s fine.”

Crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

“So I guess I'll be your roommate for as long as you stay here, Sehun.” Yixing gave what seemed to be a trace of a smile to melt the awkwardness between them.

“I’ll get my stuff and I’ll be here in an hour or so.”

Holy crap this is going faster than expected.

By the time he came back from his thoughts, Sehun was already waving goodbye and closing the door behind him.

Yixing stared at the door, sighed, and buried his face in his hands.


First of all I’m so sorry that the update took a long time! I had an essay to work up and school work and extracurricular activities were piling up. I tried to make this chapter a bit long and convey the awkwardness of LayHun’s situation, but that obviously didn't work out. OTL. I have a lot of ideas for Sitting on the Fence so I’m really excited. And finally, huge thanks to people who read my story/commented/bookmarked/etc. It means a lot to me!