Chapter 5

Sitting on the Fence

Chapter 5

Bike riding had become a thing for the both of them.

 

It had been three months since Sehun had first moved in with Yixing; both of them becoming used to each other’s schedules considerably quick. Everyday, Sehun would walk to the university and if he had to go to his job, Yixing would bike him there.

 

It doesn’t mean the hesitance from wrapping the boy’s arms around the elder’s waist wasn’t felt though.

 

“Yixing-hyung~ I have the day off today. Just once! I promise!” Sehun was tugging on the sleeve of Yixing’s oversized pullover, both of them in the kitchen making breakfast. (Or just Yixing doing the work while Sehun whined.) The counter was littered with open packages of bacon, and an open egg carton with shells of broken eggs. “Sehunnie it’s embarrassing.” The elder pout and tried his best to turn towards the other boy. He had made a nickname for Sehun, calling him “Sehunnie” instead of his real name most of the time. The younger never complained about it, so calling him cutely like that had become a habit. “It’s your day off. You should bleach your roots or something.” Yixing turned away from him, hissing when a droplet of oil had sprung out of the pan and made contact with his skin.

 

Sehun teasingly back-hugged Yixing in retaliation, propping his chin on the other boy’s shoulder. His height was his unfair advantage and the elder was having none of it. However, Yixing didn’t feel the small skip of his heart and hitch of his own breath. He wasn’t going to lie to himself, it had been a long time since he was hugged from behind. Hell, it’s been an even longer time since he’s been in a full fledged relationship.

 

“You guys seem like a couple…” Chanyeol squinted at the pair, sipping his mango bubble tea slowly. Both of them were quite touchy is what Chanyeol had observed. They could pass as newlyweds if he didn’t have any knowledge about the two. “Us?” Yixing pointed at himself and at the maknae and shook his head. “Never in a million years.” He let out a bitter laugh and turned to look out the window in disinterest. Sehun didn’t have the guts to say anything and neither did Chanyeol. Chanyeol knew how much Yixing hated gay jokes and quickly changed the subject.

 

“Please hyung? Please? I’ll just watch.” Sehun made sure to drag the syllables and hug the elder tighter. Just for effect. It was always for effect. Everything they did was comical and Chanyeol wasn’t to blame for thinking they had started dating. Yixing had been touchy with his friends, but it never went past the limits of “friendship.”

 

Yixing cursed as another droplet of oil flew out of the pan and onto his milky skin. He jumped, startling Sehun and almost tilting the two of them off balance. “Ah… that hurt.”

 

“Won’t you answer my question hyung?”

 

“Maybe if you help out with breakfast.”

 

Sehun frowned, “I think you should be thanking me that I’m not cooking. I’ll end up burning down the whole building.”

 

The only thing to respond to the younger was the sizzling of bacon and the ever-so faint sound of Yixing’s small sigh.

 

“...fine. You can come.”

 

Sehun’s eyes lit up and the other boy scowled. “It’s just me coming up with choreography. It’s nothing much.” The younger smiled anyway and Yixing fished the bacon dripping with oil and dropped it on the plate.

 

“Just heat the darn rice already.”

 

Sehun immediately let go of the elder and the smell and sound of laughter and bacon had filled the single floor apartment.

 

--

 

“Don’t make a mess.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You’re the one who wanted to watch me dance so don’t you dare pull out your phone.”

 

“I know hyung please just start-”

 

Yixing huffed. He knew he wasn’t supposed to be indulging in the fact that someone was genuinely interested in watching him dance. It wasn’t something he had shown to anyone besides his clients. His clients were the one who performed the dance in front of people. He was the one who choreographed in the shadows, and on top of that, he had a pseudonym for everything he did.

 

“What song are you gonna be dancing to?” Sehun sat down by the mirror, splaying out his legs and curiosity prominent in his eyes. He nibbled at his lips and tapped his fingers on the surface of the floor.

 

“I’m not sure..” Yixing trailed off and stared at the glossy floor of the company’s dance studio. There was a blurred reflection of him in it and he can already imagine himself on the floor, sweaty with his neck being more than a pain in the . “What do you think I should dance to?” Sehun puffed his cheeks, “Can I take out my phone and search for a song then?” The other nodded and began to stretch his limbs.

 

“How ‘bout ‘Swell - I’m sorry?’ It doesn’t really have lyrics, but it’s got quite a good beat.”

 

Yixing turned to face him, his right arm locked directly over his left. “Never heard of it.”

 

Sehun quickly located the speaker and plugged in the cord into his phone and began to play the music. The room vibrated with the low rumble of an electronic bass and the low hum of indistinguishable lyrics. He directed his attention to the elder who was picking up the beat, his lips mouthing, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8..”

 

And the moment Yixing began to move his body, the younger blonde thought that he was looking at a completely different person. The sleepy morning Yixing had been replaced by a sharp and powerful dancer with quick steps miraculously named Lay. For him, it was like the elder had a completely different persona. It was like he had come from another world where everyone had perfect, dimpled smiles and hypnotizing dance moves. Sehun watched in utter awe as Yixing- no, Lay turned a perfect 180 degrees and reached his arm in the direction of the ceiling. His jaw nearly went slack when the music had faded and the sound of Yixing’s breathing had become the most prominent noise.

 

“Holy that was amazing,” Sehun said it in one breath, his dark chocolate pupils dilated. “That- that was- Are you from this universe?” He looked absolutely fascinated, his enthusiasm showing through his own actions. “You’re ing breathtaking hyung! I thought that Jongin was something, but it’s like you’re on a completely different level!”

 

Yixing was kinda glad he knew who Kim Jongin was. (Chanyeol’s friend that Yixing had met before. He also somehow has his number.) However, he was even more glad that someone had called him that talented. “Jongin dances quite beautifully too y’know.” Yixing smirked when Sehun pouted. “But hyung-”

 

“Yo! Yixing I’m here~” A voice came from the other side of the room, loud, clear, and friendly. A short man stood in the doorway, a cheeky smile on his face. He was wearing streetwear and looked like he hadn’t aged a day above 19. Sehun looked utterly confused and shocked, while Yixing looked like he just won the lottery. “Lu-ge!” He ran and hugged the other boy tightly, leaving the younger baffled and embarrassed. Luhan returned the hug before beginning to chatter with Yixing.

 

“Luhan, this is my new roommate, Sehun. Sehun, this is my former roommate, Luhan.”

 

“Ya, Yixing, he’s so tall! He better know his place or else..” The doe-eyed man began to jokingly pound his hands together. Sehun was still playing the role of a mannequin; if it weren’t for his ears and cheeks turning pink, he probably would’ve looked like one too. Luhan gave a small and pathetic laugh before asking Yixing if Sehun was shy. The youngest responded this time, curtly nodding his head, then gluing his eyes to the floor.

 

--

 

“Sehunnie~ You’re such a shy bean~ Yet you’re so tol~” Yixing began to sing, skipping around Sehun. They had arrived home, the younger being so awkward that Yixing excused them early. If anything, the poor boy was senseless around Luhan, nearly spilling his glass of water and becoming superglued to Yixing’s right arm. It was hilarious, yet in it’s own way tragic.

 

“I would highly appreciate it if you could shut up.” Sehun grumbled, hitting the elder, but missing. The boy giggled, remembering Luhan’s gentleness around the other, being kind and cautious, yet mischievous. It was quite the contrast, but it still helped Sehun let his guard down.

 

“It’s fine y’know. Lu-ge is a good person. He has a golden heart. You’ll warm up to him eventually.”

 

Sehun chose not to say anything, opting to raid the fridge instead.

 

“What’re you doing? We already ate.”

 

“I’m eating my embarrassment away. Don’t bother me.” He took out a liter of dark chocolate ice cream and a spoon, delving into the icy treat. He sighed in contentment as the spoon was in his mouth; he was getting ready to eat once more when Yixing touched his wrist. “You shouldn’t eat too much ice cream,” he looked directly into his eyes. “It’s not healthy.”

 

“Don’t be a ing killjoy hyung.”

 

“I’m not being a killjoy, I’m being a proper hyung and watching over you and your health decisions.”

 

Sehun took another bite.


“Well if you’re gonna eat, then at least share some.”


Yo! Let me be straight (who said I was lol) with you. So the reason why I wasn’t able to do my monthly update was because of a new fanfic that I am making, and also working on in school for a writing assignment. I truly apologize that I wasn’t able prioritize SotF, but this will probably be my last apology (because I do it in every single chapter). I wasn’t able to post monthly like I normally do, but since summer’s coming I’ll have a chance to update more often.


Thank you~!