Chapter 4

Sitting on the Fence

Chapter 4

Okay, let me be honest with you.

If you haven't already read the description and the note that "the tags will be changing as the story goes on."...

Sitting on the Fence is about homophobia. I know that homophobia is a very sensitive subject for some people, so I'm saying this as a warning. I completely understand if you do not want to read this fic anymore. The fic will be getting a bit more serious from here on (which is why I did not put fluff in the tag). Neither can I guarantee a happy ending for my OTP. I want to try to make this fic realistic and doing so may involve a lot of hurt on both sides of the characters.

Thank you for understanding.

 

On a happier note, I realised that I effed up when I wrote older instead of elder and roommate instead of flatmate. Whoops. :P I'm also starting to develop my own writing style so I'm pretty happy.

 

Also I’ve reached 400+ views on ao3, aff, and wattpad. I’m so happy  I could cry. I love all of my readers to death tbh.


 

Yixing woke up the next day feeling well rested and albeit tired. The sun timidly shown itself through the curtains and the entire flat was dead silent. He stretched his sore limbs and the recollection of yesterday came flooding into his mind. He had silently hoped that Sehun had saw his apology (and saw his own reflection in the mirror cause, oh my Lord if he didn't, Yixing would feel bad). He stared blankly at the white wall in front of him, his posture slumped and his limbs limp. The white wall had been decorated with black vinyl stickers of small stars and moons. On another white wall was text, “Au Revoir.” He remembers buying all of the stickers while they were in the clearance section of some craft store, the words meaning nothing and the stars and moons were just to sit still and look pretty.

 

After a moment he sighed and swung his legs out of his bed. His shoulders and generally his entire posture hung low. Despite having the feeling that he had a good rest, he was obviously not fully conscious. He dragged himself sluggishly to the door and opening it with a heave of his arms. He was startled to see a well dressed Sehun standing by the kitchen aisle, pondering whether to open the cupboard he was facing. “You live here too,” Yixing answered Sehun’s deciding look with a raspy voice accompanied with morning breath. He took a moment to yawn before continuing, “It’s alright to open the cabinets and stuff.” “G’morning hyung,” Sehun looked at the elder, finally opening the cabinet, and gave him a small smile. “How do you wake up so early Sehun-ah?”

 

The elder trudged over to Sehun; looking like a zombie next to the well combed and fully awake younger boy. “Yixing-hyung…” Sehun began to trail off, grabbing a bowl and a familiar looking box of cereal. “Wait.” Yixing caught Sehun’s attention and his awakeness was on a bullet train back to his head. He realised that he needed to apologize for the cat whiskers (which was thankfully washed off the other’s face). “That cereal’ll give you diabetes.” Both of them stopped in their tracks, Yixing’s train of energy coming too late to its station. His brain-to-mouth filter had unfortunately not been yet, much to his own horror. Sehun stared at him in confusion, and Yixing stared back in shock and seemingly well masked embarrassment. “Wh- What?” Sehun’s arm was frozen but those black orbs of his were on the elder. “I thought these were just chocolate Lucky Charms…” Yixing laughed nervously, fully awake, and scratched the back of his neck. It was a habit of his, whenever he was nervous or got in an awkward situation, it was his go-to action.

 

“It-it is,” Yixing tried to figure out a way to smooth out the situation without bringing collateral damage to his image in front of the other. He was still making a first impression and he didn’t want to come off as a weirdo. He inwardly cursed himself for using the same metaphor from a day earlier; just out loud this time and to another person. Yixing would’ve been different if it was Chanyeol because they were close friends; but he probably wouldn’t live it down either. “I- uh- just wasn’t fully awake… hah..” Yixing felt like banging his head repeatedly into a wall. So much for not causing collateral damage. It wasn’t the best way to resolve this now awkward situation when both of them would’ve been at the table; eating away at Yixing’s choco dia- Lucky Charms. Sehun turned his attention to the bowl and continued to pour the cereal into the ceramic bowl. “I just meant that it’s really sweet. That’s all.” The nonchalant face that the younger had put on had cracked a smile (or was it a smirk?). He chuckled lightly, “I know.”  Yixing turned away from Sehun and trotted over to the fridge and got out a gallon of white milk. (He always got two percent ‘cause it was cheaper.) “Um… Hyung..” Sehun’s voice was virtually inaudible, and it wasn’t helping that Yixing was rummaging through a drawer for spoons; the metal clanging obnoxiously together. The boy glanced at the elder; tousled hair, pretty hands, kind eyes, and a gorgeous smile. Sehun closed shook his head. He didn’t need to know. Not now.

 

Yixing turned to the younger and held out a shiny spoon, smiling triumphantly. “You can’t forget to pour out the milk, Sehun-ah.” He went close to the younger boy; pressing his arm against the other’s bicep and using him as a support. He began to pour the milk into the two bowls; one empty and one with cereal. Much to Sehun’s horror, Yixing poured the white liquid into both of them, despite one of them being empty.

 

And if Yixing had hurt his reputation earlier, than this brutally murdered it. “You pour the milk first?!” Sehun tried to mask his harshness; pouring milk before cereal had always been one of his stronger pet peeves. “Yeah,” Yixing flashed him another smile. Sehun could swear that he passes those things out like people handing out free packaged tissues or pamphlets for, “save the tree octopi.” “I guess I’m weird huh.” Sehun pushed the pet peeve aside with all of his internal strength and soon found himself eating sugary cereal with Yixing sitting across from him. “Sehun-ah, why are you dressed so nicely? Are you going on a date?” He gestured with his spoon to Sehun’s gray, striped, button down shirt and black jeans with the absence of lint. The  younger almost immediately lost his calm aura with his cheeks having a pale pink color spread on it. In fact, he almost choked on the sugar packed, colored  marshmallow that he swallowed. “Unfortunately not. It would be nice to go on a date though…” Yixing laughed, his dimples yet again making another cameo. There was something about this warm atmosphere that made him feel at home. Like he was accepted and comforted with manufactured breakfast and a warm, pleasing smile. He no doubt had already begun to like this one floor, two bedroom, one bathroom flat.

 

“Yeah, I know right? Being in a relationship is like going on a rollercoaster but it’s- it’s just nice to have someone like you in that way. Y’know?” Sehun nodded, tilting the bowl and scraping the last of the cereal and diluted milk. He got up from his chair and began to wash the bowl in the sink. “Sehun-ah~ can you wash my bowl for me?~” Yixing gave yet another smile, playful this time. “Sure.” Sehun watched as the elder did an exaggerated and comical fist pump. Sighing, he took the bowl and Yixing disappeared back into his own room.

 

--

 

When Yixing got out of his shower, (he’s sure that he’s taken one-too-many) he‘s not that surprised to see that Sehun’s presence is missing from the flat. (But that doesn’t mean he isn’t disappointed either.) He settles in front of his pristine electric piano and leather arm chair; his “composition station.” He sighs, the place suddenly feeling empty and lonely again. The boy his computer and stared at the screen while it was loading. Yixing swung his head back and stared at the ceiling. He was bored. Without another person here, it felt like it once had after Luhan left. Once the computer sprouts to life, he double clicks on the program and sees the computer clock, “09:00.” He prays that the younger comes back in an hour or so; already accustomed to his company in his- no; their flat. He presses his body closer to the chair and tries not to think of his loneliness.

 

--

 

    After five hours of slow progress, his stomach was starting to be a priority. He hadn’t heard the slightest microsound that gave an indication that Sehun would be at the door, entering. He frowned at his computer and his obstinate stomach began growling. He strode over to his fridge and opened the door to find that it was barren of fruits, vegetables, meat, and even some of his favorite snacks. This would mean that he would have to bike to the grocery store. And along the way he’d have to find lunch. The thought of food magically conjured in front of his mind’s eye and he felt like he’d been punched in the gut. Lunch first, groceries second.

 

Yixing was stationed by the door after putting on some decent clothes (wrinkled nonetheless) and fixing up his hair.  He unhooked his bike from its rack in the living room and walked with it until he got to the door. He locked the door and began strolling down the hallway and onto the elevator. Music had pumped through his headphones, filling up the silence in Yixing’s ears.  He kept his lips tightly pressed together, thoughts prancing in his head; mostly of what food he can get (and afford). He stepped off the elevator and exited the building; taking in the sun and the people walking on the sidewalk.

 

The sun was welcoming and warm, but a cool breeze had begun to sweep through Seoul. Yixing hummed as he mounted the bike and searched for the nearest McDonald’s. It’s what he had settled on; expensive food not being an option, especially when now he had another mouth to feed.

 

Does Sehun work anywhere? We need to find a way to split the rent…

 

Yixing pushed himself forward and let his feet take him where he needed to go. The number of people wandering the streets were high; it was a weekend and there were many people wandering the streets of the capital.  He wondered where Sehun could be and maybe if he could hit up Chanyeol. The boy’s thoughts went nowhere in particular, going from food, to Sehun, then to Chanyeol, and then back to food.

 

He stopped in front of the bright red restaurant and locked his bike to the metal pole. He went inside and tapped his fingers on the counter and began to order

 

--

 

“Welcome to- Yixing-hyung?” Sehun down out the smaller (but older) boy. “Hi. I didn’t think I’d see you here.” Yixing nodded, his question from earlier answered.

 

Sehun does work…

 

    Yixing smirked, “You look great in that pink apron by the way.” Sehun immediately blushed, “Just order your drink already...” The elder beamed at Sehun; mostly because he was able to see him earlier than expected, and that he was able to be friendly around Sehun. The thought that the taller boy had warmed up to him made him smile brightly.

 

    He reluctantly pulled his eyes away from Sehun’s bright pink apron to look at the menu. Yixing was in bubble tea shop; he faintly remembers the younger saying that he loved the drink with a certain passion. He came to the quaint place after eating glutinous McDonald’s and he was craving for something sweet. He stared at the menu for a minute or two and turned back to Sehun. Tapping his fingers on the white, glossy  counter, he met the other’s eyes, “What would you recommend?” The younger looked at him in confusion, then in bewilderment, and finally happiness. “Hyung… Have you ever tried bubble tea?” Yixing bashfully shook his head; he had heard that it was sweet and tasted good so he came to try it out himself. The blonde took the other’s hand, drawing attention from other customers, “You should order whatever speaks out to you.”

 

“Oh- um then I'll just have the- uh- oolong tea..” Yixing didn't retract his hand and instead waited for the younger to let go of it. There wasn’t really a line behind him; in fact there was no one at all, so he didn’t have to fret. Sehun pulled away and began working on his drink. The other boy didn’t move at all; watching him make the light caramel colored milk tea.

 

Sehun eventually finished and handed it over to Yixing who took a cautious sip. Sehun smiled when the elder’s eyes lit up with delight, “Dang this is good!” He took out his wallet and began to pay when the younger stopped him. “It’s fine hyung it’s my treat.”

 

Yixing nodded, “When do you get off work?” His eyes were focused on Sehun’s eye catching apron. It’s probably a sight that he’d have to get used to from now on.

 

The younger glanced at the ticking clock behind him, “In an hour or so…”

 

“I have to buy groceries so I’ll be back to pick you up. Did you take a cab here or did you walk?”

 

“I walked.”

 

Another customer began to walk in, the bell echoing off the pastel colored walls.  Yixing decided to take his leave, thanking Sehun and waving him goodbye. “Call me, okay?”

 

--

 

Sehun:

i just got off work. are u done shopping?

Yixing:

Yeah. I’ll be there in a bit~

   

    Yixing made a sharp turn, the sun baring its orange and purple beams towards the city. The oncoming of winter had begun to change the sun’s schedule and he didn’t want to be biking in the dark, so he had to hurry. The wheels on his bicycle spun fiercely and the boy was beginning to break a sweat. The basket of food rattled and bounced as he identified the white coloured shop from a distance. Yixing saw the figure standing just outside of it and he began to slow down.

 

“Yixing-hyung!” He flashed a smile and stopped the bike in front of Sehun. "C'mon. Let's go home." Yixing loved how the word home could be used again. Home was no longer an empty, lonely word. It was now an assuring warmth that steadily grew in his chest. It was a word that told him that someone would be waiting for him; that someone was there to share a personal space with him. Sehun mounted the back and encircled his arms around the elder's waist. His touch was cautious; he barely made contact with the fabric of the elder's shirt out of pure hesitance. "You can hold onto my waist tighter y'know. I wouldn't want you to fall off." No words were exchanged when he did and Yixing took off.

 

The frigid wind blew their hair in all directions, but it wouldn't erase the warm blush of both of the boy's faces.

 


 

Aghhhh this is so lateee. Anyway I was thinking that I should do weekly updates. It would be a little bit hectic and the chapters won’t be as long. What do you guys think? Also I’m sorry for the summary… It’s so cringey and it might not happen. Constructive criticism is always appreciated!


Thanks for reading!