Chapter 3

Sitting on the Fence

Chapter 3

Yixing could’ve swore that there was an extraterrestrial being controlling his emotions because  he’s never felt so uncomfortable in his entire life.

 

He ambled towards his brown sofa and face planted straight into the cushions.

 

What the actual Zhang Yixing.

 

The brunette remained on the couch for 10 minutes to remove the embarrassment that dwelled on his mind; the events playing in his head like a movie.

 

Try to be more friendly, he reminded himself. We’ll get along eventually, right?

 

His fingers reached inside his pocket and he pulled out his phone. Maybe I should call Chanyeol and apologize for earlier. He scrolled through his contacts and tapped on the number entitled, “Chanyeolie/Yoda.”

 

“Xing-Ge! I demand an explanation! Now!” Yixing winced and distanced his ear from his phone.

 

“Chanyeol-ah, sorry for earlier, but I just felt the most embarrassing and awkward atmosphere I have experienced and I don’t know what to do.” He groaned into the phone receiver.

 

Chanyeol’s tone immediately switched from demanding to comforting, “What happened?”

 

The elder boy took in a deep breath, “I- He- ImetSehunbutitheatmospherewassoawkwardandeverythingsoundedforced-.”

 

Yixing could practically feel Chanyeol’s confusion radiating through his phone. “Wait, what? Slow down I can’t understand what you’re saying.”

 

The brunette repeated what he tried to convey, “I didn't know Sehun was coming today  and when he did the atmosphere was so awkward.”

 

There was a brief moment of silence before Chanyeol’s laughter filled it. “Chanyeol! Stop laughing! It was so embarrassing.. Everything sounded forced and Sehun was so intimidating. He also seems so serious, it makes the atmosphere awkward..”

 

“Holy crap, I’m crying.” Chanyeol’s words were breathy and his voice was echoing with laughter.

 

“Chanyeol-ah,” Yixing pleaded, “Please help me with this.”

 

“Just give it sometime, he’ll open up to you eventually!”

 

He sighed in utter defeat, “Fine. I’ll talk to you later.”

 

“Tell me how it goes~,” Chanyeol sing-songed.

 

He hung up the phone and ran a hand through his hair, sighing once more. He let the silence fill his thoughts of, “what to do to make Sehun open up.”

 

--

 

Sehun opened the door half an hour later and the Chinese could already feel his hands become clammy.

 

“Oh..Sehun.” Wow great way to start a conversation Yixing.

 

But much to his surprise, the corners of the other boy’s lips curled upward and his eyes were in crescents. His hand met , as if he was suppressing a grin.

 

Yixing stood flambergasted. Oh crap. What did I do?

 

“Oh my gosh,” Sehun said in between lowered giggles, “Your puns are almost as bad as Junmyeon’s.”

 

He gaped. Who’s Junmyeon? Wait- I made a joke?

 

Yixing stood there, confused, his heading tilting slightly, speculating Sehun’s sudden change in behavior.

 

“You look cute like that. Like, really clueless or baffled.”

 

Well damn.

 

“Thank you?” He said, still confused. He had no hint of what in the world was happening, but as long as he got Sehun to relax, he was satisfied.

 

“So-”

 

“DING-DONG”

 

Yixing turned his attention to the chiming doorbell, opening it to see the food delivery man. He had sharp, yet lazy eyes, pale blonde hair, and a bored expression.

 

“Your pizza,” the boy with the name tag, “Yoongi” shoved the steaming pizza box in his face.

 

A second boy appeared behind him, smiling. He elbowed the other before smiling at Yixing and Sehun. “I’m sorry for the inconvenience, sir. That’ll be  5,600 won.

 

“Ah- Thanks. Let me get my wallet real quick.” Yixing slid past Sehun and into his room.

 

Ah..crap. I only have 10,000 won.

 

“I only have 10,000 won,” he said, crinkling the bill in his fingers. “Do you have change?”

 

Sehun watched the other shift uncomfortably under their gaze.

 

“Um- sorry Sir but-” “It’s okay, I’ll pay for it.”

 

Sehun came forward, wallet in hand. He gave the money to the second boy, “Jimin”, and took the pizza box from Yoongi.

 

Jimin flashed a smile, “Thank you sir! Be sure to order again!”

 

Yoongi grumbled something along the lines of, “You don't have to be so damn positive.” Jimin started to defend his case as Sehun closed the door.

 

And turned around to see a shell-shocked Yixing. “I’m so sorry you had to pay for that! And it’s your first day here…” His eyes were downcast with shame and embarrassment.

 

“No! No, it’s fine. You looked really worried, so I stepped up.” He gave Yixing what seemed to be a small smile of reassurance, “Let’s eat.”

 

--

 

“So what would be a basic introduction of yourself?” Yixing started intently on his half eaten pizza, nipping at the loose strings of cheese.

 

Sehun thought in silence, munching on his on slice of pizza. They were seated at Yixing’s small dinner table, the thin, oily cardboard nearly taking up the entire surface.

 

He swallowed, “I guess my favorite food is...bubble tea? Specifically chocolate. I major in business and I dance...a little.”

 

The older’s eyes lit up and he leaned forward, suddenly engaged in the conversation, “You like to dance? I’m a choreographer and music producer!”

 

“Wow..” Sehun marveled; speechless. “That’s- that's pretty cool.”

 

Yixing nodded, “Mhm!”

 

The two boys enjoyed their pizza; another silence settling in the atmosphere. The tension had melted away; an ethereal calm filling up it’s shell.

 

Suddenly, Yixing sprang up as if he had an epiphany. Sehun watched with curiosity as he fished his phone from his pocket, with his clean hand, and unlock it.

 

“Is this your number?” He flashed the text that he had received earlier. I’ll see you at 2 PM. Is that okay?

 

Sehun nodded in confirmation, “Yeah that's me.”

 

Yixing grinned, his dimples visible, “To be honest, I was so surprised when you got here.” He glanced upwards and saw that the younger had completely froze, his eyes trained on his cheek. Yixing couldn't tell if he had spaced out or he was judging him.

 

“Your cheek…” Sehun began to trail off. “Your dimples are really deep.”

 

The pads of Yixing’s fingers brushed his right cheek. He had been complimented on his dimples countless times, but he had never seen someone so captivated by them.

 

“Thank you,” he muttered; still a bit speechless and clueless towards Sehun’s observation.

 

Both of them opted to eat pizza and a comfortable silence replaced the stifling and awkward one. That is, until there was one slice left.

 

“You can have it,” Yixing shoved his hunger aside. He had to be courteous, even though the cheesy goodness looked delectable.

 

“No it's fine. Go ahead.” Sehun’s words contradicted his actions. His eyes were practically eating it themselves.

 

“You were the one who paid for it. It's the least I can do.” Yixing silently giggled at how Sehun's eyes never left the slice.

 

“Really?” The blonde looked up, his features still in a poker face. However his eyes gave him away, and they looked like a joyful child’s when they are given candy.

 

The brunette nodded, watching the other wolf down the heaven-in-a-triangle.  He tried to search for an excuse to be alone.

 

“I’m going to take a shower. Towels and other toiletries are in the closet in the bathroom.”

 

Yixing mentally frowned, this was going to be his third shower, the first one being in the morning and the second one after dance practice. Yixing got up from his seat and headed towards his bedroom, leaving the younger alone in the kitchen.  He snagged a white t-shirt, free from print, and old basketball shorts from his wardrobe.

 

He made a beeline into the bathroom and to the shower, anxious to massage his sore muscles under the hot water. He stripped his clothes and ran the shower water, letting the initially cold water warm up. Once he was settled, he pressed the pads of his fingers near the nape of his neck, wincing slightly at the pressure.

 

Ouch. It still aches.

 

His fingers trailed towards his shoulders and down his back, the pain becoming progressively worse.

 

Dammit, if this gets any worse I swear to God…

 

There was no need for any bath products; having taken a shower already. Yixing turned off the hot water remembering that he had a roommate to save it for. He wrapped a starchy white towel around his lower half and reached in his mirror-cabinet for his painkillers. The brunette unscrewed the cap off the orange pill container and-

 

Sehun poked his head through the door opposite to the one connecting the bathroom to his room. The younger blinked twice, speculating why there was so much steam in the room until his eyes settled on a half Yixing. Both of their eyes widened with shock and Sehun lowered his head with a rushed, “Oh crap, sorry.” He slammed the door shut.

 

    Yixing stood there bewildered. Did I forget to tell Sehun that the bathroom was connected to both of our rooms? So much for making a good first impression Xing.

 

He decided to apologize later and he turned his attention towards his prescription. He was only going to do songwriting tomorrow, and there was most likely not going to be any vigorous movements. He promptly closed the bottle and placed the capsules in back in the cabinet. Yixing dressed up rapidly, the idea of having any incidents like earlier motivating him.

 

Welp, that was embarrassing.

 

He opened the door leading to his room and dumped his hoodie and loose jogging pants in his laundry basket. He decided to search for Sehun and apologize about forgetting to lock the door.

 

“Sehun-ah,” Yixing called, peeking out his bedroom door. His voice however, sounded softer and it seemed like his sentence was mumbled or whispered. Yixing saw that Sehun’s tall figure was not in the kitchen or the living room.

 

“Sehun,” he knocked on the other boy’s wooden door. His heart began to palpitate in his chest as he watched the door, expecting it to open. He stood straight, his ears anticipating a “You can come in” of some sort.

 

But the low hum of the air conditioning was the only response he received.

 

“Sehun?” Yixing raised his voice a bit higher, presuming that the younger did not hear him.

 

Still, no answer.

 

Maybe he’s sleeping.

 

Yixing turned the doorknob ever-so slowly, and surveyed the dead silent room. His shoulders relaxed when his eyes fell upon a sleeping Sehun sprawled on the wooden desk, papers scattered here and there. There was a pen cradled in Sehun’s hand and a tidy row of three white out bottles lined up in front of him. Yixing tiptoed toward him, his feet slowly touching the ground. He looked at the papers, or what seemed to be rough drafts, that were adorned with colorful, neat graphs.

 

So he majors in business. He thinks, setting down the paper. Yixing dared to steal another look at Sehun and he realizes that the boy doesn’t have a blanket. He’s going to get cold. He sprints to the living room, making sure his feet don’t make any noise, and steals a fluffy blanket off the soft cushions. He enters Sehun’s room again and cloaks his thin body under the embrace of the warm cloth.

 

I’ll apologize tomorrow.

 

He brushed stray strands of the younger’s hair away from his face. His breath fell softly and his face held an ethereal serenity. Yixing’s fingers moved on his own as he grabbed a dry erase marker and drew two horizontal lines on both of Sehun’s cheeks. He stationed a black dot on his nose and grinned playfully. He’s like a cat.

 

But isn’t that a bit mean? It’s his first day here… The dimpled grin that graced his lips was no longer found, and worry had begun to make it’s way to his head.

 

He might misunderstand…

 

Yixing shot up and grabbed a blue post-it note and a black pen. Just write an apology and put it on his forehead or something. 

 

“Sehunnie, sorry for drawing on your face. You just looked so peaceful while sleeping, I couldn’t help it. Also sorry for not telling you where the bathroom was. ⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄ Sleep well, Yixing.”

 

He placed the note down to the left of Sehun and ran his thumb across the top of the note. Shutting the lights of Sehun’s room, he slipped through the door and made his way to his own room and fell asleep.

 


This chapter is so late it’s not even funny. I’m sincerely sorry that this took such a long time. Schoolwork and the like had piled up TT TT. Anyway, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this fic! I honestly love when I receive reviews and it makes me so flustered. Constructive criticism is appreciated, I’m still learning to write (if that makes any sense).