Look Alive, Sunshine

Danger Days

Days. That’s how long it took Kyuhyun to be able to walk again, even so he still needed support. Henry had to keep an eye on him, said it could take weeks for him to heal fully.

Well... we don’t have weeks. We barely have days! The Heezoids keep attacking our base, though there have been no signs of Sungmin, Kibum or Heechul.

I reverted back to my panicking state, one I haven’t been in for a while. I didn’t know what to do, I was so worried as to what could happen to any of us. No one else was panicking, they were all happy, laughing and smiling whilst I was trying to figure out what to do next. What could Heechul’s next move be?

Knock knock.

I looked up towards the door.

“Come in…” The door slowly creaked open, revealing two boys holding each other’s hands. “Donghae, Eunhyuk… what can I do you for?”

They both looked at each other, as if using telepathy to communicate without talking. Eunhyuk nodded.

“Hyung, we’re worried about you… you never come out of your room anymore…” Donghae piped up. I sighed heavily. Great, I’m making everyone worry again. Eunhyuk came over and sat crossed legged on my bed, I looked at him.

Eunhyuk, DJ Hot Chimp, is the DJ in charge of music, but also teaches agility classes. He’s never too far from Donghae, I found them together. They were clinging onto each other for dear life, never wanting to let go. I feel bad for giving Donghae a fighting job whilst Eunhyuk’s stuck in the base, but I’m just playing on their strengths.

“I don’t mean to worry you… it’s just that you’re all being happy, whilst Heechul’s probably plotting our doom right now.”

“Aw hyung! He won’t be plotting our doom if you’re our leader!” I rolled my eyes at Donghae’s comment.

Donghae, or Fun Ghoul, is one of my best fighters, defiantly the fastest. He has the mind of a child, but can suddenly switch to being so mature in a split second. All of this is just a big adventure for him, so I plan to make it fun for him, but he also must work to survive.

“I just… I don’t want any more of you being hurt…” I looked down at the bed, feeling two pairs of arms wrap around me.

“Hyung, you need to stop worrying so much.” I looked up at Eunhyuk and sighed heavily.

“Teukkie hyung! Come to the radio station immediately!”

Henry sounded worried. What was wrong?

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

I ran into the broadcasting centre where Shindong, Henry and ZhouMi were all seated around a small table.

“What’s up?” I asked them. Henry looked up, biting his lip.

“Hyung, Heechul’s been sighted. Just outside of base.” My eyes widen.

What? I bit my lip hard.

“Gather everyone together, all of the Killjoys.” Shindong nodded going over to the microphone. He pushed the button down.

“All Killjoys, report to the radio station immediately!” His voice echoed around the room as the message was sent. Within minutes the rest of the gang and Ryeowook pilled in.

“What’s up hyung?” Kyuhyun questioned.  I stared at all of their faces and panic starts to settle in me.

KangIn, what am I meant to do? I have no clue. I’m not fit to lead them! This isn’t right, you were meant to lead them! What do I do? What do I do?!

“Hyung! It’ll be alright!” A small hand wiped my face. When did I start crying? I slowly looked over at Yesung. “Just, breathe.” I breathed deeply, letting oxygen into my lungs before breathing out. Yesung kept an eye on me, the others looked worried. “Now… What’s going on?”

“H-He… H-Heechul’s been sighted outside of the base.” All of the Killjoys’ eyes widened. “He’s here.” A strong hand was placed on my shoulder.

“We can fight him hyung.” I turned to Donghae, opening my mouth to protest but he spoke before me. “We can do it hyung.” I slowly nodded and he smiled softly me at me, putting his hand out. “For dad.” Hands were placed on top of Donghae’s, naming their own cause.

“For mum.”

“For Ara.”

“For hyung.” Ryeowook put his hand in and looked up at me, eyes expecting. I stared at all of them, tears starting to form. I slowly put my hand on top.

For KangIn…”

 

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

I gripped tighter onto my gun until my knuckles were pure white. Heechul was this close, so unbearably close. I could feel him breathing down my neck even though he wasn’t there. We walked quickly down the hallways, planning as we walked, before we were out of the base. The unforgiving sun was beating down, blinding me.

I tried to cover my eyes against the glare of the sun, but had barely lifted my arm before a gunshot was heard, the sand near my feet flying up. My head span around to see where it had come from, and my eyes widened.

He’s actually here…

“Looking for me sweetie?” The Cheshire cat like grin adorned on his feminine features. Three figures stood either side of him, hidden by the sun.

“Heechul.” I growled. He chuckled darkly.

“So glad that you recognise me JungSu. Oh wait. It’s only been a month hasn’t it?” My eyes narrowed at him. I quickly pulled out my gun to aim it at him but Sungmin was already at my throat with his katana.

“Now now hyung, who would you rather focus on? Chullie or Wookie?”

Wookie?

I turned my head towards him to see that he was surrounded by Heezoids, cowering in the middle. My eyes widened as all of the other Killjoys were also being attacked by Heezoids. I turned back to fire at Sungmin but he was already gone. I growled quietly and fired at the Heezoids around Ryeowook, walking up to him. He flinched when I put my hand on his shoulder, he slowly looked up at me fear in his eyes.

“It’ll be fine Wookie, now run back inside, ok?” He nodded and started to run back but was stopped by another Heezoid. This one seemed different. His mask was different than the others, just plain white. Ryeowook ran the other way and I aimed my gun at the Heezoid. I was about to pull the trigger when I felt a gun pressing against my head.

“I wouldn’t do that if I was you JungSu.” His haunting voice rang in my ear.

“Why did you do it Heechul? Kill KangIn… why?” He chuckled quietly.

“You kept the one I love away from me, so it was only fair that I kept the one you love even further away from you.” Fury built up within me as I whirled around and punched Heechul in the face.

“How dare you!!” Heechul slowly picked himself up off the floor, wiping the blood from his face.

Everything happened so fast, pain shooting through the whole of my body.

Red. Red everywhere.

Screams. Who’s screaming?

Thudding onto the floor, pain shooting through my back.

“Teukkie hyung!”

Wookie!

The red slowly faded to the black as my eyes closed.

 

************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

I woke up to a gun in my face. I must have not passed out for that long. I saw that damned grin again. The screams were back. My head flopped towards the screams.

Yesung.

His left eye was completely cut up, crimson blood seeping through his hand. Donghae and Kyuhyun were both unconscious, blood dripping from their heads. Donghae had bullets through his shoulder whilst Kyuhyun’s body was cut in so many places... Both were still breathing, but it looked to be a great effort.

Wookie. Where’s Wookie?

“Hyung!” My eyes slowly moved to look at him. He was being held by Kibum, a gun pressed to his temple. Ryeowook looked terrified, tears streaming down his face.

I felt a weight press on my lower body, and looked down to see Heechul straddling me, gun still pointed at my face. He leaned over and whispered in my ear.

“Keep running.” My eyes widened, tears rolling down from my face. That was the last thing KangIn said to me.

I failed. KangIn. I failed so badly. I’m so sorry. I can’t protect them. I can’t protect myself. I couldn’t protect you. I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. I failed you. I’m –

BANG!

The darkness took me over again.