interlude

Nothing Like You and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica collected her necessities from the desk and filed them inside her purse. After spending late nights at the ER and her clinic, she finally got to go home. 

Yoona hasn’t see her as she’s busy with soccer practice, but they kept in touch - although from call, it’s reduced into texting. It’s a good change anticipating her phone to beep incessantly from a bunch of messages Yoona sent altogether. Cat videos, memes and food to remind Jessica never to leave her stomach empty. She couldn’t help but wonder if Yoona always had her phone with her and had too much time in her hands. She did have classes to attend and Jessica might be older now but she didn’t think cellphones are no longer prohibited during class. Jessica can’t always reply quickly, attending one patient after another, but Yoona seemed to be waiting since she would send another text right away. 

Behind her silly quirks is the sweetness that Jessica couldn’t fail to miss. It’s written all over it no matter how much Yoona tried to be clandestine. At least, Jessica’s not undergoing some pity party with Yoona unlike with her colleagues who constantly asked if she’s coping well with the divorce. 

Jessica strode to the door, only to be greeted with shock by Enzo right out front. She lost touch to filter the words that fell from . 

“ing Christ!” Jessica yelled, clutching her chest and the strap of her bag fell off from her shoulder. Thank god her clinic is empty or that wouldn’t leave a good mark, especially to the children’s ears.

“Don’t scare me like that.” Jessica threw a fist at Enzo which he parried defensively. 

“Sorry. I was about to knock. I didn’t know you’re right behind the door.” His laughter soon withered when he remembered what he came for. As she has summoned her nerves to calm down, Jessica finally took notice of the papers in Enzo’s hand, realizing instantly what they are. “This came in my mailbox. The divorce has been approved just like you wanted.”

Jessica casted a glare while she received the documents. “It’s not like I forced you to sign.”

“Is this really what you want?” That felt more like an open question rather than a direct one.

“Yes.” Jessica answered straight, taking off her wedding and engagement ring from her finger and offering it to Enzo, parting from the only thing keeping her attached to him. 

Enzo smiled his agony as the rings touched his palm coldly. “And I thought the pain won’t get worse than it already is.”

Jessica shook her head slightly in disbelief that the man she’s formerly married to is flaunting his dented ego. “I’m just as hurt as you are. Don’t pin this divorce on me alone.”

“And how are you hurt? For wasting five years of your life with me?” Enzo showed no mercy, his voice rising upon the spike of his emotions.

“You know it’s not like that. I cherish what we had.”

“But it isn’t enough for you.” The tears in her eyes spoke on her behalf, needing no words to admit it’s true. They’ve exchanged hurtful things the last time and yet, it didn’t put a dot to their situation. “I wasn’t enough.” So this heated discussion won’t end because Enzo felt belittled and incapable and Jessica unknowingly did that.

“It’s not--” Jessica stopped herself. Whatever she say is no use because Enzo will only hear what he wanted hear. "I'm sorry that I've hurt you. I certainly didn't wish for any of it." She took the high road in this fight, knowing there isn’t a point arguing over something that's already finished.

"Hey, Jess, we're going--oh." Sunny barged in. "Oh hi, Enzo."

"I was just leaving." He turned around and walked to the door. He addressed Sunny briefly and disappeared outside.

"What was that?" Sunny has been mum about many things that involved Enzo and Jessica, but this one is difficult to keep tightly under wraps. 

"We're fighting." Jessica brushed it off like it's a common thing. For other people maybe, but not for them.

"Is this why you suddenly left Rachel's house with a terrible excuse?"

Jessica walked to the patient's lounge and sat there, her neck settling over the headrest. "Do you think it's my fault?" 

Sunny folded her arms and towered over a torn apart Jessica. "You two decided to break up. It's no one's fault."

"I'm the one who wanted it more."

"He didn't exactly complain." Sunny reasoned.

"He's complaining now."

"It's already too late." Sunny said as matter of fact. "But will it make a difference if it wasn't?"

"I don't think so. If I tried harder it won't end pretty." Jessica frowned. "It already now. We've become one of those couples who didn't meet minds and failed to compromise amicably. And I had hopes we'll turn out fine. He's Enzo. He's a nice and understanding man."

"Well, like you said, he's a man. And Jess, it's out of your control. You said your unhappy with him and you can't just change the way you feel to satisfy him." 

Jessica sighed as she relished the good feeling that she isn't battling against the world for the sake of her desires. She owed Sunny a lot of explanations and despite how short their talk is, Sunny had her back.

"Come on up and we'll celebrate," Sunny offered her hand that Jessica gladly took. "You can officially start living now."

 

 

"Let me just get this straight, you turned Juhyun down?" Sooyoung asked loudly for Yoona to hear amongst the exiting hoard of people from the bleachers. A sad defeat of Jane Avery's men soccer team against Kyunghee's Red Lions.

"Yes." Yoona answered, feeling rather noble after explaining her side of the story.

"So you turned down being buddies?"

"I wouldn't call it that but-"

"What's your ing damage?" They're threading their way when Sooyoung realized there are parents and children around them. She mouthed sorry to those nearby.

Once out of the hellish crowd, Yuri went on with the rant Sooyoung started. "Seriously, what's wrong with you, Yoona? It's Seo Juhyun, you're crazy about her!"

"Why couldn’t you at least sleep with her?" Sooyoung suggested similarly as Jessica Jung if Yoona's memory served her right.

"God, Jessica said the same thing." Yoona grumbled.

"See? Even the Doc agrees with us. Wait, she knows about you and Juhyun?"

"Yeah. She wouldn't stop messing with me about it." Yoona chuckled remembering the horrid and quite Rated R texts Jessica sent her after they met at the pub.

"Of course she would. You already had the chance to get laid by Juhyun not just once but twice or thrice, who knows how much, but you decided to play Mother Teresa." The way Sooyoung said it, Yoona is catered like some who couldn't get enough of but decided to get better.

"God Yoona, why do you have to be nice? Do something evil and sinning, will you? It won't hurt." Yuri nudged Yoona with a little advice.

"I already have my share of that, Yuri. Thank you." 

"Doing pranks is not fun." Sooyoung yelled, sounding like a drunk. 

A red car from their front horned at them. The tinted window is lowered, revealing Jessica who's inviting her inside.

"Jessica's here. I gotta go." Yoona fixated her bag on her shoulder.

"Geez, that's your babysitter?" 

"She's beautiful, Yoona. Like supermodel beautiful." Yuri awed from a distance.

"If this is why you turned down Juhyun, then I am sorry for calling you damaged." 

"Why would you think that?" Yoona couldn't relate.  

"Have you looked at her?" When Sooyoung realized she's had eye contact with Jessica, she immediately turned to Yoona, intimidated by the old

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter