fight, flight or freeze

Nothing Like You and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s D-Day for Yoona’s soccer team.

Jessica didn’t have much heart for sports as she had with music but she’s nervous. Mostly because she saw the hardwork Yoona poured in her practice and therapy. They had to lay off their little adventures for a while as the date of the match got close so Yoona could focus.

To be a little less at loss, she dragged Sunny with her who’s beyond excited to clear a busy schedule and watch the game instead. She bet she won’t understand half of what’s going on so Sunny would be a nice personal commentator. According to her, the competition is undefeated and tough to match. Avery Athenas might be good, but not good enough against such caliber.

Jessica signed up to enjoy something new and not be pressured by that.

The game started a bit late. The stadium squeezing in more audience than Jessica expected. The majority are supporters of the other team despite the game being in Jane Avery’s turf. 

Jessica craned her neck from the bleachers to have a better view of Yoona who looked cute in a tight ponytail and silver pair of uniform with red knee socks. She’s running with the ball so gracefully, it almost didn’t look hard. She’s like thunder on the field, zapping from positions left and right as though she can see her opponent’s next move. And Yoona is smiling and giggling throughout. There’s no threat of a challenge but she’s simply on the field so she can play and have fun. It’s the most beautiful thing.

That, and Avery Athenas won landslide. 

 

 

 

Jessica waited for the crowd to die down before she entered the locker room with Sunny. There, she caught Yoona talking to a girl, just the two of them in a corner. Jessica easily assumed it’s Seo Juhyun because Yoona is flushed or that could be from her exposure to the harsh sun thirty minutes ago.

Jessica stood on the side awkwardly while multiple lives happen before her until Yoona’s eyes found her.

“Jessica!” Yoona shouted, followed by a whispered excuse to her current company. 

Before she could wave a hand, Yoona had made long strides towards her and suddenly lifted her up.

Jessica is caught off guard by the grand gesture. “Yoona, put me down.” She gagged a laugh. Yoona obeyed, gently landing Jessica back to her feet. She didn’t give the slightest care about the people in the room or that she did something out of the ordinary. 

She’s in quite shock, to be honest. Nobody has carried her like that. Ever. Jessica isn’t alone because Sunny is currently wide-eyed. 

“Did you see me?” God, Yoona is like a child. “I kicked their asses.” Okay, maybe a wild child. 

“We kicked their asses!” Someone corrected from the back.

“Please let me gloat.” Yoona grumbled. “Sorry, that was Sooyoung.” 

“And I’m Yuri.” The girl appeared behind Yoona. “You must be Yoona’s doctor. She’s told us great things about you.”

“You’re one of her friends who said I’m hot.”

“Seeing you up close, it couldn’t be more true.” Yuri nodded. 

“Come on, Yuri.” Yoona begged.

“The only time I could do some teasing and you’re complaining.” Yuri left afterwards.

“Your friends are…” Jessica couldn’t finish her sentence, avoiding to speak something demeaning.

“Well, I’m the worst one.”

“Yeah, you are. By the way, this is Sunny. She’s a fan of yours.” 

Yoona’s face lit up like it’s the most impossible thing she’s heard. “I have a fan?” 

“Watched the entire season so far during my free time from surgery.” Sunny quipped. “It’s a splendid experience meeting Jane Avery’s pride and Maverick’s-”

Jessica is quick to nudge Sunny into silence. “Are you crazy?”

Sunny realized the mistake. “Right. I forgot. Top secret.” 

“It’s fine. So what are you doing afterwards? There’s gonna be a victory party, maybe you guys can come.” Yoona offered an invite which she’s sure her friends won’t mind.

“We’re too old for that.” Jessica declined with a wave of a hand.

Sunny sighed her frustration. Jessica’s natural talent to kill the mood can never be put to rest. “What she meant to say is we’ll be there.”

“Good. I’ll see you later?” Yoona held her gaze at Jessica, remotely focusing on her as if the reassurance is just between the two of them and no one else’s.

Behind Yoona, Jessica noticed an attentive Seo Juhyun who probably hasn’t taken her eyes off Yoona since she left. Jessica smiled and said, “I think Ju Hyun is waiting for you.”

“I’m expecting you, okay? Or I’m gonna throw a fit. You wouldn’t like it.” Yoona childishly warned. 

“Go on, throw a fit. You might as well sit on the floor and cry like a baby.” Jessica  countered as Sunny and her are on their way out. 

“Wow, you’ve changed Jessica Jung.” Sunny simply couldn’t hide her musings with Jessica’s bantering skills.

“Thanks, but I’m not sure about this.” Jessica instantly unveiled her worries. She didn’t exactly say yes or no to Yoona.

“We’ll be fine. When’s the last time we’re in a college party together? That was a decade ago or something.”

“It’s definitely different now. That’s what gets me.” 

“Are you kidding? We’re cool people in their eyes. Their future goal is to literally have a career like ours. There will be questions about making the right decisions but the booze will be free.” Sunny’s head is sharp with her leisure objective.

Some students are still rushing in the hallway and every time Jessica looked back, they’re all going to the locker room to see Yoona and her team. She could imagine how many congratulations they’re getting at this point. 

“What was that with Yoona by the way?”

“Which one?”

“Do I really have to...god, she literally swept you off your feet. That doesn’t happen a lot.” True. Nobody, not even Enzo, is that spontaneous. 

“She’s just sweet and she’s shooting up a lot of adrenaline. You have no idea how far she gets like she wants to do everything. Simultaneously, if she could.” Jessica did her best to bring justification to Yoona’s behaviour. 

“It’s good that you two have patched things up. Are you also helping her score with that girl she’s talking to?”

“What? No-why would I-” Sunny kept a straight face so Jessica caved in. “How did you find out she’s gay?”

“It’s obvious.” Sunny answered flat. “You should’ve told me though, it’s good gossip.”

“I can’t go on telling people she’s gay. Are you insane?”

“Hey, I was just joking. What happened to fun Jessica?”

“That’s not a good joke and she’s not trying to score with the girl. They’re just friends.” And that came out with a bitter sounding tone.

“Okay, Missy. No one’s trying to take Yoona away from you.” 

“They had differences.” Jessica kept the story abridged. 

“Because the other girl is straight and Yoona is the lab rat who refuses to be one?”

Jessica scoffed. “Why do you even know these things?”

“It happens quite a lot, Jess. This is why you should tune into what’s happening in the world sometimes instead of getting lost in your own. Good thing Yoona came. After everything, I don’t know what you would be if she didn’t.”

“She’s a lot of help since I’m coping with this thing with Enzo and then there’s my parents who I have to deal with sooner.” 

“One day at a time, Jess.”

 

 

 

Sooner is an understatement. The moment she said it, it came knocking on her door.

On her way to meet Sunny, Yunho texted her to come to the villa and Jessica can already paint the rest of the story from there. She can’t say no, of course, because she hated drama and her parents are full of that. The last thing the hospital needed is dramatics which involved her getting escorted by a crew of security.

So Jessica drove herself to finally face the music. At least she could admire the villa in daylight. It’s a beautiful home. Shame it’s harboring people walking with hearts of stone.

She’s led to an office with her father sitting on his swivel, her mother by the desk and Yunho facing the window, hands in his pockets. He just had to be here to listen about Jessica and another one of her failures. 

The air in the room is thick, Jessica could slit it open and let it bleed all over the expensive carpet. Her mother gestured that she sits down but she refused, saying she’s just dropping by. 

“That’s impolite of you, Jessica, after disappearing the last time you were here.” Her mother chastised but it went in and out of Jessica’s ears. 

“I didn’t think my presence meant any significance to you.” Jessica fronted a cold look but honestly she’s scared. It’s three against one and Jessica knew she wouldn’t win. “Whatever this is, can we just get it over with?”

“You and Enzo Hwang have separated.” Her mother could hardly say the words. “How come you never informed us?”

If Jessica didn’t know better, she would have believed for a second that her mother cared.

“It was between us. It had to stay that way. You’re no part of it.” Throwing h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter