research | no. nine

  debbie's corner  —  for all of your writing needs [resources, researches, advices, etc]
TABLE OF CONTENTS




 

 

RESEARCH NO. NINE
< strippers / strip club >

i’ve been seeing a lot of stripper-related threads lately, probably because it’s part of a few inbox memes (i think), and a lot of them are pretty misinformed. therefore, i’ve decided to write a handy-dandy guide based on my experiences as a dancer.

keep in mind that this is just one sassy broad’s experience and that i’m not at all saying all clubs are like this. ♥

  • lipstick is a huge no-no because it can rub off on the customers and obviously cause problems at home. and if that happens with one of your regulars, chances are that he won’t be your regular anymore. i did the whole pinup thing (to make myself stand out from the rest of the dancers), which required red lips. instead of lipstick, use a lip stain.you don’t have to reapply stains as often, so it’s a win-win.
  • dressing rooms. from what i’ve seen (at four different clubs), dressing rooms are shared by all the dancers. the entertainer/dancer of the month gets her own room, but that’s about it. 
  • another thing about dressing rooms—i’ve only seen like one or two girls bothering with a robe. you see it all once you’re working anyway, so none of us really gave a . 
  • makeup (again). it needs to be way heavier than what you’d normally wear because clubs are generally pretty dark. that means no descriptions like “she was wearing only light eye shadow and mascara to enhance her natural good looks” or whatever.
  • googling “stripper makeup” is a good place to start (so i don’t have to describe the whole process here). in short, think of those eye shadow kits that have the eyelid/crease/brow bone colors all in one and bump up the contrast. doing your lips isn’t necessary but i highly recommend it so you don’t look washed-out on stage. being tan isn’t necessary…i’m kind of ghost-colored and again, it made me stand out. 
  • glasses are totally okay, too!
  • absolutely no baby/body oil, lotion, or glitter. it gets on the stage and oil/lotion greases up the pole, which will piss off the other dancers. we called glitter “divorce dust” for the same reason as lipstick. a good rule of thumb is, if it can rub off, don’t wear it.
  • dancing. again, i recommend googling pole tricks. also, the way you dance on stage is not the way you dance at a club. from what i’ve seen/done, moving slowly is always better, and there’s a lot of posing/dipping low/basic pole turns/spins that don’t require leaving the ground. swaying your hips is not enough.
  • attire. as long as it’s revealing, pretty much anything goes. yandy.com is a good resource if you want to get specific with your clothing descriptions. gowns are not uncommon, and the girls i worked with (and i) changed outfits a few times a night. this goes without saying, but “stripper heels” are a must. they’re also really comfortable, believe it or not!
  • s. anything goes, as long as you’re not giving extras/grinding excessively. make up and you’ll probably be okay. i had a few regulars who bought multiple dances from me just to see me do simple moves and listen to them vent. i was basically a therapist. have your character figure out what the person likes and play to that…or not! 
  • always ask for a tip after the dance in a cute way! it’s a good way to supplement whatever you make from the dance(s), and you never know what you’re going to get. one old dude gave me a $20…another guy was so ed-up that he thought he was giving me a single and actually handed me a benji. huzzah!
  • stage sets and customers. the goal is to get as many people at the rail as possible and hit them up as many times as you can before your set ends. the easiest way to do this is to do little tricks.
  • i used to grab two singles from their stack and putting them on the rail, then my fingers/rub the nips to get them damp. then, you lean down, press your to the singles, rub back and forth to make them stick, and come up like, “ta-da.” you’d be amazed at how impressed people are by that. you can use that on the same person all night and they’ll still be amused by it.
  • putting singles behind their ear(s), in the shirt collar, between the belt and the pants, whatever, and grabbing it with your teeth. some people don’t like to do this because money is filthy but i really didn’t give a damn.
  • depending on the contact rules at the club, you can do “s in the face” and then hold yours together and have the customer put it in between them. there are tons of ways to have people tip you.
  • “doubling up” on stage. if two dancers were friends, it wasn’t uncommon to see one come up to the rail to watch the other’s set, sit with a customer, and then feel the girl up/smack her /whatever when she got close. guys generally dig that, and it’s a nice way to help the other girl earn more money. the other dancers tend to remember things like that and will help you out in return. just make sure the other dancer is cool with touching before you do it.
  • general demeanor. regardless of your style (attire and how you go about talking to people), you have to be polite to the customers or you won’t make money. then again…
  • speaking of the other girls… you’re there to make money, not friends. that being said, it’s in your best interest to not be a . however, it’s roleplay, so don’t be afraid to give your character a rival or make her a total ! just be aware that the vast majority of customers are really turned-off by dancers who are .
  • if you up/fall, laugh it off! most of the time, the customer(s) will laugh with you. 
  • last thing: don’t be afraid to be ing weird if you know it’ll earn you money. i was talking to one guy all night who was super-geeky and really into lotr, so when he was the only one at the rail, i did the gollum walk up to him and was like “my precious” in the voice. he gave me $20 in return. score.

i hope this helps! feel free to send questions/comments/whatever.

SOURCE