resource | no. six

  debbie's corner  —  for all of your writing needs [resources, researches, advices, etc]
TABLE OF CONTENTS




 

 

 RESOURCE NO. SIX
< characteristics of abused characters >
 
abused characters: Their survival skills turned up to eleven. If you have a character whose past is particularly tragic, consider using some of these characteristics to portray them. Keep in mind: all abuse victims are different. Their personalities will be just as varied as anyone else. Your abuse victim could only have one of these, or even ones that aren't listed.
 
 POSITIVE 
» They often are great communicators. They are used to being misunderstood so they’ve taken extra effort to say the right words, be precise and clear in what they mean. This is a superpower because the average mortal may not put as much care into it as they do. This is also why so many troubled souls are in the creative arts.
» They often can size up a situation really well. Sometimes they read others’ emotional cues so that they can avoid conflict. They will see body language and facial expression nuance that others may miss. They’ve been reading their abusers for years, so they know how to observe. It can save them, but it can also cause them to be more isolated.
» They think fast on their feet. If they’ve been in an abusive situation, they’ve learned how to survive by snap decisions. They can turn on a dime. Often they’d rather make a choice, even a bad one, that sit still because it means there’s hope of success.
» They are really empathetic. Survivors of abuse are usually tenderhearted toward others. They tear up often and show compassion to others. Rejection is a fresh wound so they can identify with others’ pain really well. they will be one of the first people to step up to fight for justice.
» They are creative. Their past may have required them to come up with solutions for problems with few resources. They can think outside the box well. This is a super power because it works so nicely with the other powers. You really want someone like this on your side.
 
 NEGATIVE 
» They have triggers, some that are even a bit weird. Victims of abuse have been repeatedly exposed to certain tones of voice, certain scenarios, certain patterns. If you have someone with an abusive past, not only will your character react to specific triggers — they may react and hide it from others. This is a complicated issue and if you want to get it right, study PTSD. it can come without warning and render them useless. You don’t want that in a crisis.
» They have trouble trusting others. Sometimes victims of abuse make a habit of keeping to themselves because they just don’t want to be hurt again, but relationships are vital to good mental health.
» They’re easily manipulated. They’ve been a victim of manipulators so sometimes they have trouble discerning who is trustworthy and who isn’t. However, you could have a survivor who is really self-aware and now can spot manipulators quickly. they can the first to fall for predatory situations. Often this is a destructive and tragic pattern.
» They struggle with their identity and their self-acceptance. This is a life long struggle and it comes out especially in times of stress. they may never fully see their true value, take chances or care for themselves like they should.
» They have bad memories associated with major events. Sometimes they may not handle holidays well. They may self-medicate around sentimental or emotional events that remind them of past pain.