Chapter 6: Running Away

Journey: Unhoped For

 

 

The night feel too long for Youngjae who couldn't close his eyes to sleep. He keeps on tossing and rolling his body on his bed trying to catch his sleep. No matter how position he changes, his eyes are too stubborn to close and his mind just couldn't stop thinking. Youngjae took a deep breath looking at the window and finally opting to take some fresh air at the outside. Somehow, he feel as the room become too much suffocating for him to breath. Youngjae glance at the other bed beside him and his mood suddenly dampen by how unaffected the other was. He couldn't help rolling his eyes, then proceed to wear his sweater, while tapping his phone to check the current time. It's 3.55 am and he shove his phone inside his sweater pocket. The young vocalist slam the door shut behind him, practically don't give a  if the loud sound gonna disturb his sleeping roommate.

 

Youngjae take a walk around the resort, rounding the area all the while didn't really pay attention to his surrounding. After 30 minutes of wandering mindlessly, he take a seat at a stone bench on the mini park near the entrance of the resort. The night is quite cold and when Youngjae took a look at the sky, he can feel his body shivered caused from the lack of moonlight.

 

The sky looks dark and intimidating, yet he ignore the uneasiness starting to churn on his stomach. His gaze changed to his left where he barely could make up thick trees lining up about 200 meter from where he currently sit. He didn't remember discover any wood when they arrive this morning. But that also might be because he don't really pay attention on the surrounding area. The longer he stare at the direction of the thick wood, the creepier he got. Shuddering from the sudden breeze coming his way, Youngjae hastily clasping tight into his sweater to indulge the warmth.

 

His mind wandered to his conversation with Jongup during their walk home earlier. The younger was so desperate to know what was wrong with him. Heck Youngjae doesn't exactly know himself what actually is wrong. He admit he wasn't really himself these past days, not being loud as usual, no frequent sassy remark or hyperactive self, and worse, sometimes he just blatanly ignoring s.

 

It seems as he punishing all s just because of a certain person. He know it's unfair, but he can't stop himself from getting angry whenever he rewind back those hurtful words coming out from the mouth of the person he lov-

 

"Hey Jae. Why are you here?", not expecting any companion, Youngjae snapped his head to the direction of the eerily familiar voice. His eyes wide and his left hand clasp his chest, heart beating fast, shocked from the sudden interruption. Youngjae then come back to his sense and swiftly turning his head away from looking at the face of his current source of problem.

 

"What I'm doing here, totally none of your concern" he stuttered a bit but managed to keep his cold facade intact, hoping the other would catch his implication of wanting to be alone.

 

Daehyun ignore the younger's tone, keeping a small smile on his lip. "I woke after you left, thought it was in my dream before realizing you're really not there, on your bed". 

 

"Stop pretending like you actually care" Youngjae spat with venom thickly laced in his voice. He's starting to feel frustrated by the older vocalist's presence.

 

"Of course, I care. Himchan hyung said not to wander around at night, and you makes me worry by going outside all by yourself. Whatever you do, wherever you go, i'll always care for you Jae. Always remember that", Daehyun desperately explain to the younger who nonchalantly ignoring him.

 

Youngjae scoffed.

 

He let out an audible sigh before taking a seat beside Youngjae. No matter what, he's gonna sort things out with Youngjae. He couldn't bear letting his younger friend got mad at him anymore. He's had enough. He want to reconcile, to be one who receiving Youngjae's cute smile, joking around and tease the younger until he furiously blushing. Daehyun missed all those moments, he felt like they've not been talking to each other for over a decade already. Also he can't let their argument (even though till now he doesn't know what the cause of it) being a permanent mess and plaguing his mind anymore.

 

Before he could even utter a single word out his mouth, Youngjae already stand up and walking ahead into the resort. Daehyun get up from the bench and approach the other by fastening his pace and managed to catch the younger's wrist to stop him.

 

"Let me go this instant", Youngjae growl, continuosly tugging Daehyun's hands off him but to no avail.

 

"No, Jae. You should stop doing this", Daehyun's voice is stern and he looks so defeated watching the younger act like he's an illness touching him.

 

Youngjae halt his attempt and snap his head up to face Daehyun, scoff unbelievingly at the latter's words.

 

"Why should i stop when i'm not even the one who has started it?

 

Daehyun frown, not really getting what the other is trying to say. "What do you mean Jae? I don't get you"

 

"Of course you will pretend to be oblivious, when obviously you're the reason behind all this mess"

 

"Jae, you are getting ridiculous. Are you trying to blame me now? When i don't even do anything wrong?"

 

Youngjae could only see red from the other's statement. The nerve of that brat pretending to be innocent when he's obviously not.

 

"Nothing wrong? So it was nothing wrong for you to belittle me in front of our fans?  Nothing wrong for you to call me wimp for not able to reach high notes as yours? Nothing wrong for you to actually talk behind my back?", at this point Youngjae couldn't hold himself back, his voice slightly cracking but he will himself not to cry. At least not in front of Daehyun. He shot the older a glare.

 

"I..When did I do all of that? I don't remember that I belittle you. Even so you should have known that i'm just joking", Daehyun defended, quite shocked with the fact the other take his joke as an insult. His face harden at the thought of Youngjae exaggerating small things he said and accused him. He unconsciously tightening his grip on the younger's wrist.

 

"How..how can that be considered as a joke, when i'm deeply hurt by it?", Youngjae slightly whisper at the end. He looks utterly defeated, looking down at the ground, when his mind is too full of thoughts revolving around his current issue.

 

"You don't even realise how much it hurts me when when you 'joke' about my singing in front of the fans, how truthful you think you are to 'joke' around about my loneliness in the tv interview, and it's definitely and undoubtedly a 'joke' when you talk behind my back to the members", Youngjae snarl out his rage. He didn't care even if the whole resort could hear them, he already reached his limit and nothing or no one gonna able to stop him.

 

"Jae, I-"

 

"Don't you 'Jae' me!" Youngjae cut whatever Daehyun's trying to say, because if he let him talk, there's a probability he won't be able to express how he felt all this while.

 

"I'm sick of all this. I already feel insecure as it was, but to hear all those nasty words you considered as a joke in front of me are just way too much to make me feel unworthy",  stray of tears streaming down his cheeks but Youngjae does not paying attention on them. Instead he harden his glare to the older boy who froze, wide eyes looking at his face.

 

"And maybe it's not gonna hurt this much if those words didn't came out from your own mouth. The fact you are the one who i shared everything i feel with, talking about me out loud that way, truly pains me and i'm so confused. I'm hurt so much because of you, Jung Daehyun", Youngjae look so broken with his non-stop river of tears down his puffy cheeks, eyes glaringly red and his bottom lip slightly bleed from constant bitting out of anger.

 

Daehyun feels really guilty and it pain him seeing his bestfriend crying his eyes out because of him. Yet he couldn't step forward to calm and apologise to Youngjae in fear of the latter might snap at him again. He unconsciously release his hold on the younger's wrist. Daehyun feel totally dumbfounded and his body too numb to move. That explain why he did not chase Youngjae who sprint away as soon as he release the grip on his wrist, heading on the opposite direction of the resort lobby.

 

Blinded by tears, Youngjae keep running away from Daehyun. He need to get away from him. It hurts so much he might go insane if he still within the same space as the older. He follow where his legs lead him, not caring about anything as he continue to sprint his way over to the intimidating dark wood.