Yoongi--Apple (Pie) of My Eye

Music Box

Originally posted here!

 

Min Yoongi wasn’t one to show his soft side.

 

Known for his smart comebacks and snappy responses, nobody would have ever pegged him to be… this kind of boyfriend.

 

But to you, he was just that—and everything more.

 
 

“Daddy, I’m ready!”

 

You raced to Daddy, hitting his back and flinging your arms around him. The musky scent of his black leather jacket made you nuzzle into him even more, a pleasant smile spread upon your face.

 

Min Yoongi turned around, face bright, his own sile huge and wide. He ran his hands from your temples down to cup your cheeks, pinching them just so that he could hear your squeals of delight.

 

“My, my.”

 

You glanced up at Daddy.

 

“Look just how cute my little lady is, hm?”

 

Yoongi’s heart fluttered at your response: an adorable combination of blushed cheeks and uncontrollable giggles. Even after so many years, it was something that he would never tire of. Never ever ever.

 

Feeling especially cheeky today, Yoongi indulged you, his own little babydoll. Throwing you your favorite gummy smile of his, he squished your cheeks, ran his fingers under your chin, cooing and teasing and tickling—overall, just slathering you in love in a way that was normally extremely, more than out of character for him.

 

If anybody outside of the house had seen this, they wouldn’t have believed their eyes.

 

It wasn’t as if Min Yoongi was some stone-cold, hard . It was just, he mostly came off that way.

 

But that didn’t mean that Yoongi didn’t have his romantic days—days when he wanted to cuddle, too.

 

Days when he wanted kisses, too.

 

Days when he wanted nothing more than to coop up with you at the house and shove the middle finger up to the rest of the world, too.

 

Alright, so maybe he was a hard .

 

But! How could he resist?

 

Your adorable smile and your pink cheeks and your cute lips that were always rambling on and on, ranting to Daddy because you knew that…

 

Your gaze darkened.

 

You knew that you had to keep him up to date while you still could.

 

Yoongi gulped, seeing you begin to frown. He tapped your face twice with a finger, right next to one of your eyes.

 

“What is is, babydoll?”

 

“U-um—”

 

You stifled the screams that threatened to replace your calm disposition. You knew that you weren’t supposed to throw tantrums while Daddy was around. And you knew better than to break the rules, screaming and crying, but how could you not when—

 

“Daddy’s leaving today, right?”

 

Your voice came out as a tiny peep.

 

Yoongi pursed his lips. The two of you had gone over this multiple times already, but he knew that if he had to reiterate himself a thousand times, he would.

 

“You know that Daddy’s heart is always with you. And this isn’t the first tour either, sugarplum.”

 

You nodded solemnly.

 

You definitely knew.

 

“But that’s why we’re going grocery shopping today!” Yoongi tried to brighten up your voice, tried to go in for the quick save. He tapped you against the eye once again, to wake you up from drowning in a sea of your thoughts that Min Yoongi simply could not control.

 

“Don’t you love grocery shopping, babydoll? I have to make sure that my girl won’t just eat cookies all day long when I’m away, don’t I?”

 

Just another nod was all that he received in reply.

 

“Please, baby,” Yoongi pleaded. “Be happy. Show Daddy that beautiful smile of yours, will you?”

 

You gulped nervously. Lips trembling, you did your best to pull them up in a smile, but all it felt like was a grotesque version of a grin.

 

Daddy was right, you chided. It wasn’t as if this was the first time that he had ever gone on tour. Most of the time, he was sure to text you and call you whenever he could. You knew that there was never a moment that he didn’t think about you, especially the second that he left the house. Whenever he was onstage or on an airplane, Daddy was always thinking of you.

 

But that didn’t make it any easier to breathe when all you wanted was to snuggle into his chest and fall asleep.

 

“Come here.”

 

Yoongi gently folded you into his arms. Placed his cheek atop your head. His hand soothingly up and down your back. You inhaled the intoxicating scent of Daddy and prayed that you weren’t going to cry. You wouldn’t cry.

 

It was the last day, but you weren’t going to cry.

 

“Let’s enjoy our grocery trip, alright baby girl? Daddy loves you to bits. That’s why he’s doing this—we have to get food for you so Daddy can make sure that you’re healthy while he’s gone. All Daddy wants is to see his baby girl happy and healthy.”

 

You felt him peck the top of your forehead.

 

“Okay?”

 

Neatly, with a forefinger and thumb on your chin, Min Yoongi directed you to look at him.

 

“Please don’t ever forget that, sugarplum.”

 
 

It seemed that after he had said those words, something about Daddy’s demeanor changed.

 

You didn’t call him out on it, of course. You knew better than to randomly confront him about something—and you could think of about one hundred more appropriate places to do it, rather than a supermarket.

 

But that didn’t mean that you weren’t subconsciously studying Daddy with every chance that he got.

 

The way that he would suddenly exhale, as if he had been thinking about something that made him sigh.

 

The way that his hands fidgeted with his jacket, dipping into the back pocket of his jeans, only to come back out to pick something off of the shelf.  

 

The way that he would glance over at you when he thought you not to be looking, darting away whenever he feared getting caught.

 

It wasn’t often that Daddy was on edge, and you weren’t quite sure why. Was he like this because he was leaving? But in the past, he had never been like this. You couldn’t think of any reason for him to be so jittery—you knew Daddy.

 

Daddy only got like this when he…

 

“You alright, babydoll?”

 

Daddy’s voice interrupted you from your train of thought. He was pushing the shopping cart with you by his side to help him, and seeing you so lost in thought, decided to bring you back to reality.

 

Min Yoongi leaned in closer, those big, brown eyes never leaving you.

 

“Baby?”

 

“A-Ah!” you stuttered out. “Yeah, I’m completely—”

 

And that’s when you saw it.

 

Min Yoongi knew better than to bring you through the bakery section, but of course, it couldn’t be helped.

 

The minute that your eyes landed on the stacks of apple pies, fresh and warm and steaming hot, they practically turned into heart-shaped, starry-eyed pupils of nothing but “PLEASE DADDY?!”

 

Yoongi knew it was coming. In a matter of milliseconds, you had whipped around and you had both hands around his arm and you were doing your best to control yourself. He could tell that. But he could also tell just how badly that you wanted nothing more in the world than your favorite, apple pie.

 

“Daddy…?”

 

“Yes, sugarplum?”

 

“Do you think that we could, uh, um—”

 

Suga?”

 

Your mission to persuade Daddy to buy you an apple pie was rudely interrupted by a pink haired man who had his own shopping basket slipped around his arm. He smiled warmly at Daddy, even going as far as to bring him in for a quick hug.

 

“How are you doing, Seokjin?”

 

You watched quietly, the way that you were supposed to. Daddy and Seokjin were exchanging words, and the least you could do was not unceremoniously in.

 

Kim Seokjin was the doctor who lived next door to you and Daddy. You personally didn’t see him that much because of school, but you knew that he and Daddy were quite close. They spoke about random things that went in one of your ears and out the other. After all, you were much more preoccupied by staring at the mouth watering apple pies, sweet golden with that crispy lattice.

 

“And how is she doing?” you heard Seokjin ask.

 

Daddy pulled you away from the pies and laced your hand with his. He smiled at Seokjin. “She’s great, isn’t she?”

 

Realizing that the two men were now staring at you, you jumped.

 

“O-oh! Yeah, I’m good.”

 

Seokjin chuckled.

 

“Staying warm? I would hate for you to get sick.”

 

“Oh, she won’t,” Daddy responded easily, the scarf that he had wrapped around your neck. Thick and warm, it kept you absolutely toasty whether you be inside the cold or out. “I’m keeping an eye on her, I assure you.”

 

“Fantastic,” Seokjin said. “Well then! I’ll be off—have a wonderful day, you two.”

 

You waved as Seokjin made his way into the baking aisle. Daddy glanced over at you. Bringing your intertwined hands to his lips, he kissed your knuckles quickly.

 

“Come on, babygirl. Let’s finish the rest of our shopping.”

 
 

Min Yoongi huffed as he slammed the car door shut.

 

Knuckles nearly white against the steering wheel, he willed himself to calm down. He had to keep his composure—it was his last day with you, and he didn’t want to leave on a note like this. He didn’t want to leave you like… this.

 

You sat in the passenger’s seat with your lugs tucked up and your arms crossed in front of your chest, a pout on your lips. You glared out the window as Daddy started the car on the way home, more than a little upset.

 

What was wrong with Daddy?! How come he was being so stingy today? He didn’t even let you get one extra snack, and anything else that you wanted that wasn’t on the grocery list, he refused to let you buy.

 

“Hurry, babygirl,” he rushed you. “I need to get home to finish some work before I leave.”

 

Work?! Work work work. That’s all Daddy did. Did he even care about you at all? Good God.

 

You frowned.

 

Would it have killed him to let you get an apple pie? You had even pleaded so desperately, you just wanted one. You even said that you wouldn’t eat it all at once—you would split it into sections over the week.

 

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, sugarplum,” he had said. “Come on, let’s go to the checkout line.”

 

Quick to judge and quick to change the subject. Dodgy, that’s what Daddy was being.

 

How could he even say that?! Maybe he didn’t remember. Perhaps he had forgotten, didn’t even bother to think that the reason why you specifically wanted an apple pie the day that he was leaving…

 

You sniffed.

 

He probably didn’t remember anyway.

 

You could tell that he had been growing frustrated, but at that point, you were doing anything to push his buttons. Just to see if he would give in. Just to see a reaction that wasn’t so negative towards your pure, innocent intentions.

 

Which is why you tugged him into the baby aisle, eyeing the stuffed animal that you had been convincing him to get you for the past month.

 

It was a fluffy grey elephant, with the most adorable black eyes. It wore a white and yellow bib, and when you flipped up the top, underneath—

 

“But look Daddy, it’s so cute! And you can even put a picture inside of it, too!”

 

He had firmly pulled you away, voice husky in your ear.

 

“The only picture going in there is the photo I take after I whoop your red, babydoll. Now, Daddy’s not going to ask you again. We need to get going.”

 

And now you were at home, left with the bags of groceries, while Daddy had locked himself in his music studio.

 

Frowning, willing yourself not to cry, you began to put the fruit and vegetables away.

 

One by one.

 
 

Fighting with Daddy was the worst.

 

You hated it. Every second of it, you hated.

 

And so when all of a sudden you found it hard to even knock on the door to his music studio, wondering if the two of you were heading to airport now, it made your throat choke up with something inexplicable.

 

You stood in front of the door, hand poised. And yet, you just stood there.

 

Would he get mad at you? What if Daddy didn’t want you to interrupt him?

 

Suddenly, the door swung open.

 

Your eyes widened.

 

Your heart beat insanely fast, the way it always did when you realized you and Daddy had the exact same thought process. You had gotten up to go to the door—so did Daddy. Sometimes you and him texted each other at the exact same time, even if you were in completely different countries, too.

 

It never failed to make your heart race in the slightest.

 

You didn’t know what to expect. Would he sweep you up in his arms and apologize? Or would he harden into that shell that he always did whenever he was upset?

 

But all he did was put the car keys into the palm of your hand, curling your fingers around the metal.

 

“Go wait in the car, baby. I’ll be down in a bit.”

 
 

City lights blurred past you and Daddy on the way to the airport. The city was still very much awake, and a wild place crawling with people, automobiles, and the occasional stray animal or two. Your eyes trailed the river that the two of you drove alongside, water black, water twinkling with the reflection of the city lights.

 

Daddy still hadn’t said a word to you since he had gotten onto the car. He had merely put his bags into the trunk, slammed it shut, the engine, and drove.

 

Little did you know, Min Yoongi was having a complex of his own.

 

He hated fighting with you. Just like how you hated fighting with him.

 

It was so dumb, the both of you knew. Especially since it was Yoongi’s last day. The two of you had such a strong connection with each other, it was honestly ridiculous how stubborn the two of you could be. Other people would always comment on how similar you both were, and you had to admit, they weren’t wrong. It was the reason why you had decided to take that chance on him, to trust that he would be different.

 

He wasn’t going to break your heart the way all the others had in the past.

 

And since you had taken that chance with him, he had always been a constant in your life. No matter what happened, through bad days and through good days, Daddy was always there to comfort you, and vice versa. Regardless of what happened onstage and off, Min Yoongi knew that you were always there at the click of a button.

 

So when you two fought, it was merely a game of who would give in first. Who would talk first. Who would admit, that no matter how fickle situation was, that it wasn’t worth sacrificing the other.

 

Min Yoongi pulled into the parking garage, smoothly finding a space and stopping the car.

 

He turned the engine off, gaze towards you.

 

You were still staring out the window. You no longer wore your pout nor had your legs up on the seat. Instead, you sat obediently like a big girl, small hands laced together in your lap.

 

Yoongi opened his mouth. He didn’t know what to say. All he knew was that he was leaving.

 

And you were healthy nor happy like he wanted you to be.

 

You played with your hands in your lap, mind already whirring. Was he going to say something? Or maybe you would start. Lips poised to speak, you ducked your eyes. The whole thing had been stupid. Who cared about apple pies and elephant stuffies when the one person you wanted the most would be gone?

 

Quietly, you glanced at your hands.

 

“Daddy, I’m sor—”

 

In the span of a second, Min Yoongi leaned over and cupped your face with a hand, turning you around to press his lips against yours.

 

You bent to his will immediately. Arms s around him. Lips, moving against his. You didn’t realize just how much you had missed his presence until you had it back in your hands again, when you realized that whatever thing you had thrown a tantrum over meant absolutely nothing if you did not have Min Yoongi.

 

If you didn’t have Daddy.

 

He kissed you hard, harder than he ever had before. Like he wanted to imprint the way that your lips felt against his, wanted to remember the taste and feel and scent. He ran his hand through your hair, down your body, blunt fingernails soothing over the flesh of your upper thigh.

 

He groaned throatily, breathing deeply. He wanted you. God, how he wanted you.

 

He wanted you to never leave him, never not be with him.

 

There was nobody who would ever understand him more than you.

 

Intertwining his tongue together with yours, Min Yoongi devoured you, absolutely dominated you in every way possible. There was no stopping him—if he wanted you, he was going to have you.

 

He pulled you closer, wrapping his arms around your waist, urging you closer. Not another thought in your mind, you practically crawled over to Daddy in the driver’s seat, taking your rightful place in Daddy’s lap. His hands never left you—they traveled up and down, squeezing and pulling you in. Closer. Closer. Closer.

 

Daddy kissed you again, hot and breathy. You were a mess, just like he was. You pressed your chest against his, not wanting there to be a single inch of space between the two of you. You wanted him to cradle you forever in his arms until the end of time.

 

As long as you had him, you would be the happiest girl on Earth.

 

His lips trailed downwards, teeth nipping at your jawline, at your neck, tongue immediately smoothing over the bites. Yoongi couldn’t get enough. The way that his heart began with its dull ache, an impending sign that it was time for him to go, made him kiss you all the more.

 

And when he finally had to break away, panting heavily, he cursed himself for not being able to keep his composure like he always could.

 

But that was why you were so special, wasn’t it?

 

That it was only you that could bring out this side of him.

 

He had fallen for you based on how similar the two of you were—you were just as good as shooting salty remarks as he was—but Min Yoongi knew, the minute that you said the word, “Daddy”, it all changed.

 

Because for Min Yoongi, you were his exception.

 

You were his exception for everything.

 

Everything.

 

When you said the word “Daddy”, Min Yoongi became somebody that he didn’t even think existed inside of him: a version of himself that did absolutely anything and everything to assure your happiness. It was when he tucked you into bed and ran you baths, it was when he brushed your hair and read you bedtime stories, it was when he fixed your sippy cup and slipped spoonfuls of soup to you with the fire crackling in the background.

 

It was when you were the only thing that was important in his life. Not work, not anybody else.

 

Just you.

 

“Daddy’s sorry,” he whispered. “It’s Daddy’s fault. I’m sorry, angel. I’m sorry.”

 

“No!” you whimpered, eyes already filling up with salt tears. “It’s not your fault, Daddy. I was a bad girl. I know that.”

 

He met your eyes, and you detected the faint twitch of his lower lip.

 

It was quite comical, wasn’t it?

 

Both of you had been quick to fight, and then so quick to apologize. Both of you, so easily taking the blame.

 

“No.” Yoongi shook his head.

 

“You’re the best girl that I could have ever asked for.”

 

And so, Min Yoongi let himself be selfish.

 

Let himself have one last sweet, tender kiss.

 
 

When you finally got home, in the middle of the cold, autumn night, you were absolutely numb.

 

Throwing the car keys onto the table and shedding your coat, you headed towards your bedroom. After sending Daddy off at the airport, you were more than ready to just flop onto the covers and sleep for a million years.

 

You bent down to flick on the bedside lamp, and was immediately greeted by the soft glow of the light. The room was absolutely still, cold air doing nothing but remaining placid. Every minute or so, you could hear the wind outside howling across the city streets, sweeping up any remnants of warmth that could be possibly left.

 

Already you missed Min Yoongi like no tomorrow. That lingering look in his eyes when he bent down, waving at you through the car window…

 

You sighed.

 

Heading to your closet, you were about to change out of your clothes and drop dead onto the bed, when you noticed something strange.

 

Right where you slept was an assortment of… items.

 

Eyebrows furrowing in confusion, you walked over to examine the things.

 

Your heart jumped.

 

The elephant stuffy from earlier!

 

An mp3 player, completely with earbuds.

 

And then—

 

A plate of apple pie.

 

...Daddy?

 

A deep breath entered and left you. You sat down on the bed, fingers reaching out for the mp3 player. Did Daddy do this? It must have been him, right? Nobody else lived here besides the two of you.

 

But—

 

You put in the earbuds, turning on the device. It was cold from the autumn air seeping into the room, but you could care less. All you could register was the various soundtracks already downloaded, the first one at the very top reading:

 

I’m Sorry.

 

 

 

[sigh]

 

Sugarplum,

 

You know that I’m not big on words. And you know that I’m not the best at… telling you things.

 
 

You put a hand to the earbuds. Fixed them. Why did Daddy’s voice sound so different? It was as if he was right there next to you, whispering words softly, lulling you to sleep. It was if…

 

Then it registered, your eyes widening.

 
 

 

 

But.

 
 

You could imagine it in your mind already, your heart pounding, the tingling at the top of your skull, the slight involuntary vibrations traveling up and down your spine.

 

Daddy, in his music studio. Traveling back and forth, lips just barely caressing the surface of his new 3D microphone.

 

ASMR.

 

That’s what he had been doing in his music studio the whole day.

 

You brought a hand up to your mouth, eyes blinking away tears. You weren’t going to cry, goddamnit. Even after you fought with Daddy over the most stupidest thing, acting as if you weren’t getting enough attention—

 

When in reality, Daddy was giving you the most attention you had ever had.

 
 

 

 

I’m sorry.

 

[low exhale]

 

Daddy’s sorry, babygirl.

 
 

Your reached for the elephant stuffy, the need to cuddle something overtaking all else. You missed him so much already, and he had barely even been gone for an hour. You imagined what he was doing. Was he going through customs? Or was he waiting at the boarding gate? Was he thinking of you, listening to his voice from afar?

 

You listened to Daddy’s voice, low. Raspy. So close, yet… not here.

 
 

 

 

[chuckle]

 

Do you remember the first time we met, baby? We were at Namjoon’s Thanksgiving party, weren’t we?

 

Goddamn, you were so beautiful.

 
 

 

 

I told you I didn’t like pie, and you were about to throw a fit right then and there, practically shoving a plate of apple pie in my hands. My goodness, baby.

 

But I bet you didn’t know something, sugarplum.

 
 

 

 

I knew that you had made it, even before you told me.

 
 

 

 

How could I not know? Geez, baby. You didn’t think I was that dumb, did you? The minute I tasted that pie, I knew that it was yours. And by God, that pie…

 

[sigh]

 

Even Seokjin’s barely compares.

 
 

 

 

I had him make that pie for you, though. The one on the bed. There’s still some in the refrigerator—I hope you’re not too mad, babydoll. The only reason I didn’t let you buy it at the store was because—

 
 

You stared at the pie on your bed, cut into a perfect slice, through glossy eyes.

 

Smiled fondly.

 

He hadn’t forgotten, after all.

 
 

 

 

I was planning something better for you, at home.

 

 

[pause]

 
 

 

 

[gulp]

 

Anyways, baby. It’s time for you to rest. When you’re done with the pie, remember to brush your teeth, do you hear me? Daddy doesn’t want you to have a cavity when he gets back.

 
 

 

 

Good night, sugarplum.

 
 

 

 

I love you.

 

[kiss]

 
 

Min Yoongi sat back in his chair, scrolling through the mp3 player. He had gotten all of the days, right?

 

Checking once again, he counted—

 

One two three four five…

 

Yes.

 

He smiled, silently laughing at how much of sap he was. Goddamn, this was cheesy. But he had successfully attained his goal, and that’s what mattered the most.

 

He had managed to record a soundtrack for each day he was away on tour.

 

Yes, he thought again.

 

Each night, you wouldn’t ever be alone.