Chapter 6

Canadian boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They took their time unpacking, taking two hours just to empty one box in the living room. Every time Haechan came across some interesting ornament – and there were lots – he asked Mark about it, and Mark would patiently tell the story behind the souvenir. Because they never ran out of things to talk and laugh about, time passed so quickly that they didn't realize how late it was until Timmy jumped Mark and knocked him to the ground.

"Oh jeez," Mark grunted as he pulled his brother off. Haechan, who had been sorting several books into piles, looked up to see his sister wandering meekly over, rubbing her eyes.

"I'm hungry!" Timmy announced, grabbing Mark's head and climbing over in an attempt to kiss his brother's forehead.

"Alright, alright!" Mark said exasperatedly, grabbing Timmy's arms and slamming him onto the sofa. Squealing in delight, Timmy turned and launched himself at Mark, who scrambled to his feet and ran towards the kitchen, Timmy in close pursuit.

"Oppa, I'm hungry too."

Haechan looked over distractedly as Haneul dragged herself sluggishly onto him, pulling the hood of his sweater. "Yeah, I know." He said, lifting her up with a huff and heading towards the kitchen too. "Don't rub your eyes, did you wash your hands?"

Haneul whined and kicked, and he set her down.

"Looks like she's tired," Mark said lightheartedly, looking through the Italian restaurant menu thinking what to order for dinner. Timmy was dragging a cup of salad out of the fridge.

"Yeah, I think we should head home," Haechan said, half-reluctant and half-relieved. "Thanks for having us over."

Mark's eyes lit up in alarm. "Wait, why don't you stay for dinner? Are your parents coming home?"

"They aren't coming anytime soon." Haechan said dryly. "But we've been here long enough, I think it's time to go home –"

"I wanna have a sleepover!" Haneul exclaimed suddenly, grabbing his hand. Timmy turned, threw the cup of salad on the counter and jumped up and down.

"Yeah!" He shouted.

"Haneul, you've played all day!" Haechan said in dismay, annoyed by the fact that Mark was grinning. "We have to go home. Like seriously."

"No, I want a sleepover!" Haneul stomped her feet and crossed her arms, puffing her cheeks in a pout as she glared at him. "I bet Mommy would say yes."

She probably would, she doesn't care. Haechan gritted his teeth. "Haneul…"

Haneul glared at him a while longer, and when he didn't move, her lips trembled, and she started wailing.

"It's fine with me, you know," Mark said sheepishly, as Haechan clasped his hands over his ears. "If your parents are okay with it, I don't see why not."

Haechan turned to give Mark a glare too, but Mark just smiled hopefully. With an annoyed growl, he closed his eyes and said loudly, "Fine! Just let me phone Mom!"

"Yay!" Haneul and Timmy cheered in unison.

"Is pasta okay?" Mark said, grinning broadly.

Haechan gave him an accusing look. "You're happy about this, aren't you?"

Mark just laughed and turned, busying himself with ordering pasta. "Phone your parents and ask."

Sighing, Haechan pulled out his cell phone and walked into the other room, where it was less noisy. He speed-dialed his mom's number and waited for fifteen seconds before she picked up. As expected, she said yes, it was totally fine, and told him they had chicken in the fridge if he wanted to bring it over. Before she could run on to a list of what to bring, Haechan hastily said okay, thanks, love you, bye, and hung up. He walked back into the kitchen to see Timmy and Haneul sharing a giant cup of orange juice and cleared his throat to catch Mark's attention.

"What'd they say?" Mark turned briefly.

"She said sure, but I have to go back and get some stuff," Haechan said, stuffing his hands in his pockets and checking that his keys were still there. "Can you watch Haneul for me while I'm gone? I'll be quick."

"Yeah, sure," Mark said, brown eyes glowing with excitement. "They aren't much trouble when they're together."

Haechan gave the two another glance. "Yeah." He agreed, backing out of the kitchen. "What about your front door?"

"Eh, just leave it unlocked. You'll be quick, right?" Mark grinned. "Come back soon, Haechan."

"Thanks for the pressure." Haechan called sarcastically, and he walked out with Mark's laughter echoing in his ears. Jogging back to his house, Haechan quickly picked up Haneul's pajamas, towel, toothbrush, and stuffed unicorn, heading to his room and filling up the rest of his mini-duffel bag with his own stuff. Next he searched his pantry and found a bag of chips, then headed for the door and promptly remembered to feed the goldfish. After running through a quick mental check-list, Haechan went back out, locked the house, and ran next door.

 

 

 

He'd only been gone for eighteen minutes or so but as he walked in he could already catch the delicious tang of creamy tomato sauce. Peeking into the kitchen, he saw Mark leaning casually against the counter, talking to their siblings and laughing when Haneul said something indignantly. Feeling warm, Haechan paused for a moment and thought a little bit about what he was seeing. He was about to sleep over with the hot transfer student from Canada, who also happened to befriend his best friend, who also happened to play soccer, who also happened to be his neighbor… and what the hell? Was fate doing something because he'd been such a douchebag to Mark on their first day?

"What're you doing standing out there?" Mark called, and Haechan blinked and remembered to smile as he realized he'd been caught. Heading in, he placed the duffel bag in a corner on the kitchen floor and tossed the stuffed unicorn to Haneul, who grabbed it with a happy giggle.

"Thanks Oppa!" She said, and Haechan gave her a brief nod of acknowledgment.

"I brought chips, for later," Haechan said, placing the bag of Ruffles on the counter.

"Awesome, we don't have many snacks yet." Mark grinned at him. "I was craving junk food so badly that if it weren't for your sister, I'd kiss you."

Haechan stared at him for a second before he caught the fact that it was a joke – then, embarrassed, he laughed loudly and then stopped and cleared his throat. "Uh, I'll set the table."

Within an efficient five minutes, Haechan had all the plates and forks on the table and successfully lured their siblings into their seats. Mark came by with the steaming pot of spaghetti and placed it in the center. He filled all of their plates and as he came around to Timmy, the little boy took a deep breath and exclaimed,

"I love spaghetti!"

Chuckling, Mark took his seat next to Haechan and for a couple minutes they ate in semi-awkward silence. Then Timmy started up a conversation by saying his hair looked like spaghetti, and the awkwardness never came back. Everybody helped in cleaning up, Haneul volunteering to press the buttons on the dishwasher, and by the time they were done in the kitchen it was well past seven o'clock. Mark and Haechan watched television for a short hour while Timmy and Haneul coloured in the den, then at eight, once the episode of Running Man was over, Mark told them it was time to shower.

"I want to shower together!" Haneul said.

"Boys and girls don't shower together," Haechan began to explain, but Mark just shrugged and said,

"Why not."

When Haechan shot him a look, Mark laughed and gave him a small shove.

"Loosen up, they're just kids." He said, ruffling Timmy's long hair, which was starting to become frizzy. "Didn't you and Hana shower together when you were kids?"

It was the first mention of Hana for a long time and it jerked Haechan out of his happy-go-lucky trance. At first he flinched – then he recovered and sighed and gave Haneul a nod.

"I'll go get your clothes, and Uncle Mark will show you guys to the bathroom."

"Uncle?" Mark raised an eyebrow.

"It's because you're old," Haechan said with a grin.

"Oh, I'm gonna get you for that." Mark laughed as he turned to follow the little kids up the stairs. "You better watch out, Haechan!"

Their siblings ended up taking half an hour in the bathtub, playing with Timmy's action figures. Haneul, who usually had her bath right before bed, came out drowsy and grumpy, so Haechan asked Mark where she could sleep.

"She can sleep with me!" Timmy said brightly. "My new bed is big!" He held out his arms wide in an emphasis.

"She's a fidgety sleeper though, you don't mind?" Haechan warned, grinning at the little boy's enthusiasm.

"Not at all, she can have the covers because it's warm here!" Timmy said, pulling Haneul's arm away from her eyes and tugging her down the hall.

"I've never seen Timmy so eager to go to bed," Mark commented, as Haechan tucked his sister into bed and Timmy followed suit, crawling under the covers and blinking up at them with wide eyes.

"You gonna be okay here?" Haechan asked, handing Haneul her stuffed unicorn. She yawned, and hugged the plushie close and nodded her head.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure she sleeps." Timmy made a stern face and Mark laughed.

"Make sure you sleep," Mark said, pinching his brother's nose. "Haechan and I are gonna head to my room, if anything happens call okay? Good night guys."

"Night," Haechan echoed, following Mark out the door. "Er, am I sleeping with you?" He asked awkwardly, as Mark gestured for him to come into the next room.

"Well, yeah, that's the whole point of a sleepover." Mark said, raising an eyebrow. "That's how they do things here too, right? Don't worry, I have extra blankets. We won't have to share." He laughed. "It's early, I have an Xbox and a Wii in my room."

"Nice, really?" Haechan exclaimed, all else forgotten. "What games do you have?"

Mark chuckled as Haechan squished past him through the doorway, shutting the door until only a crack was left.

"I don't feel like zombies right now," Haechan said, immersin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter