Chapter 12

Canadian boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Chemistry, English, Calculus – oh , Calculus –" Haechan grimaced as his calculus textbook slipped out of his trembling hands, swearing out loud as it tumbled to the floor with a painful ripping sound.

I'm so messed up.

He picked it back up and straightened with a stuff huff, stacking the books on his desk and deciding he needed a break from homework. It was taking him an hour to finish one question – that was the state his brain had been in since Friday night.

"Haechan, we're going to the mall, do you want to come?" His mother's voice called from downstairs.

 

Haechan stood up and winced as his ribs stung. "No thanks!" He shouted back, clearing his throat when his voice came out hoarse.

"Okay, then take care of Haneul! We're going now!"

Sighing, Haechan tucked his cell phone in his pocket and headed into the bathroom. "Okay!"

Wow Haechan, you look bad-.

He nodded at his bruised self in the mirror, admiring how the darkness around his eyes brought out the blue. Then he grinned and laughed for no reason at all.

Getting back to business, Haechan assessed his wounds. They weren't that bad, despite him being the one on the ground. The bone above his right eye was a little scraped, there was a big bruise on his left cheek, and his lips were cut all over the place. Funny how his lips hurt the most. Grabbing his sports ointment, he rubbed some on his bruises, sighing as the ointment cooled the burning of his wounds, then pulled up his shirt and rubbed some all over the darkening mark along his lower right ribs. By the time he was done, the smell of ointment had made him hungry, and he headed downstairs to scavenge for food.

He was halfway done cooking his bacon and eggs when Haneul, who had been watching Sophia the First passively until then, came up to him and pulled his shirt.

"Oppa, I want to go play with Timmy."

 

Haechan dropped the spatula and fumbled with it for a moment before he managed to get a tight enough grip on it. "Go by yourself."

"But Mommy said you have to come with me." Haneul said crossly, crossing her arms and frowning at him with furrowed brows.

 

Haechan sighed and turned off the stove vent, grabbing a fork and eating right from the frying pan. "They're right beside us, it's no big deal."

"Mommy said you have to go with me! I'll tell her that you let me into a stranger's house alone!" Haneul shouted, stomping her feet.

Wincing, Haechan quickly slurped up the rest of his bacon and dropped the pan in the sink as Haneul started crying. "Alright, alright!" He cried, holding his hands up to his ears. "I'll go!"

 

.............................................

 

"Hi."

.

Mark smiled at him awkwardly from the door as Haneul ran inside the house with a delighted squeal, shouting Timmy's name.

"Sorry, she wanted to come play… is it okay?"

"Of course." Mark opened the door wider in a gesture for him to come in. "Sorry, it's a little messy since my parents are coming back soon, so I unpacked the rest of the stuff…"

 

Haechan swallowed hard, leaving his shoes by the door and then following Mark into the house.

"Er, do you want to play some Wii?" Mark asked hesitantly, pausing by the stairs.

 

Haechan shook his head furiously, then stopped because he was dizzy. Go up to your room? After that? Are you crazy?!

Mark smiled a little. "Okay." He said, standing there for a moment like he was confused. Then he seemed to register that Haechan had said no, and he turned around with a perplexed expression, ruffling his hair as he headed into the kitchen.

Unable to do anything but follow, Haechan ended up in the living room watching their siblings play king and queen. Mark sat down on the ground, joining their royal tea party as the tall and hot and awkward servant. Haechan stayed on the couch and played around on his cell phone, glad that they ignored him.

 

Well, he said glad, but he couldn't help but n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter