Chapter 11

Canadian boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Haechan sighed for the millionth time as he scribbled over his socials test, feeling the thick wad of paper glumly with his fingers. He hated essays, and socials essays were the worst. Why did there have to be an essay on the unit test? Why? Why did life have to turn out this way? Why did he have to start doubting his uality? Why did Mark go and shatter his very soul into pieces?

"Relax, I'll tell Coach that you're going to be late." He felt somebody brush his shoulder – Jeno, again. He was sounding awfully smug, and it was starting to get on his nerves. What was he doing, trying to be captain?

 

Haechan looked up at the clock and saw that class had been over for two minutes already, and he'd only finished the second body paragraph. Groaning, Haechan rested his cheek on his essay, feeling the powdery texture of the lined paper as he closed his eyes.

"Haechan, if you're done, then I want to go home." His teacher's voice called dryly across the room.

"Oh, sorry." Haechan lifted his head and sighed, struggling to write down a few more sentences for the third paragraph before going onto the conclusion. He pretty much copied his introduction, switched the sentences around, then wrote his name on the test and delivered it to the big pile of unit tests at the front. "Have a nice weekend." He said, waving briefly at the teacher before limping out the door for training.

Eh, I'm half an hour late, no big deal.Haechan sighed to himself and ruffled his messy hair. He was feeling a little sick, and his ankle seemed to have gotten worse. Technically he should give it a break – but he was Captain, he had to at least show up for training.

Walking into the silent change room, Haechan heard giggling. Somewhere in the back of his mind it registered that it was wrong to hear giggling in a boy's change room – but by the time his exhausted brain processed what that meant, he had already turned the corner.

Oh.

Hana had her arms pulled tight around Mark's neck and she was on her tippy toes, their lips touching. Haechan felt his gaze fall from Hana to Mark's hands, placed gingerly on her waist. His face wasn't the only thing that burned.

 

Haechan cleared his throat and they pulled apart, looking shocked. "Sorry, don't mind me." He said airily, tossing his gym bag on the bench and pulling his shirt off.

"Whoops," Hana said, and ran out of the change room. Her footsteps echoed in the following silence.

It was incredibly awkward for a while. Then Mark spoke up. "I can explain."

"Oh, good." Haechan said brightly, tying his shoes. "Because I don't have an excuse for why we're late yet."

"Ah – Haechan –" Mark began, but Haechan stuffed his bag into the lockers and slammed it noisily, drowning out his voice.

"Hurry up, you're wasting time and we're already late." He said, leaving before the choking sensation in his throat could get any worse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Haechan was so confused that when he reached the field, he had already started running his warm up when Coach Park called him to stop.

"What are you doing? You're supposed to be taking a break." The man said, his voice cross but his expression amused.

"Oh, yeah." Haechan blinked, surprised to find that he was sweating. "I forgot."

"You forgot, huh." Coach laughed. "You can relax once in a while, Haechan. Sit with me and watch the team train. I'll give you some stretches to do."

"Alright," Haechan sighed. The last thing he wanted to do was watch Mark train, but… what the heck. It wasn't like Mark was the only person on the team.

As a reward for their success in districts, Coach Park let them play a team match for most of the training. Haechan watched jealously from the side, rolling his ankle back and forth. By five-thirty, when Coach let them go for their weekend, he was bored to death.

"Mark, help me pick up the balls, you were late today." Coach Park called. "Haechan, can you help me bring the cones back? I already got Renjun to pick them up. I gotta head back and unlock the change rooms for them."

"Sure, no problem." Haechan said, limping over to the bag and hauling it over his shoulder. He headed out of the field and turned the corner towards the streetlight only to halt as he realized he was about to collide into somebody.

"Oh, hi Haechan." Hana blinked, her brown eyes wide.

 

Haechan stared at her, then felt his lips thin. "Are you here for Mark?" He said, unable to keep the bitterness out of his voice. "You waited all the way until now?"

Hana frowned, catching his tone. "No, I had choir anyway. What's up with you?"

"I wonder." Haechan said sarcastically, hitching the bag further up his shoulder and about to walk around her when she grabbed his arm.

"Are you mad about earlier? It was just a kiss!"

 

"Yeah." Haechan said breathily, hating how he couldn't control his voice anymore. "Just a kiss."

"Why are you doing this?" Hana asked harshly.

 

Haechan closed his eyes took a deep breath and then opened them, "Doing what?

"Being angry at me all of a sudden. Honestly Haechan, it's no big deal!" Hana said sharply. "Look!"

 

Haechan tensed in surprise as Hana grabbed his shoulders and leaned up, slamming their lips together. For a moment he just stared at her long lashes, his head spinning as he registered the sensation of her soft lips against his. With a sudden surge of adrenaline, Haechan kissed her back and pushed her into the wall with his body, grabbing her arms as she tried to lift them and deepening the kiss with his tongue.

"Mmm…"

 

Haechan felt a chill as he heard Hana's muffled moan and he opened his eyes – then he realized that somebody was watching and broke away, wiping his mouth as he turned to Mark staring wide-eyed at them with a bag of balls. Shocked, Haechan opened his mouth and made to speak – but Mark turned and walked away quickly.

"M–"

"Whoah," Hana's breathy voice caught his attention and he glanced back to see her looking up at him with flushed cheeks. "Where'd you learn to kiss like that?" She grabbed his arm as he made to walk away.

" Huh?"Haechan furrowed his brows distractedly as he watched Mark's retreating back. "That was my first… sorry, I have to go." He pulled away from her grip and ran as best as he could with a slight limp, not caring that Hana was still standing, dazed, by the wall.

"Mark!" He was stopped at the red light, and hadn't managed to catch up to the boy until he stumbled into the change room. As always on Fridays, everybody had already left to enjoy their weekend. Mark was already changed by the time he got in, and was busy putting his clothes into his bag.

"C

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter