Once Upon A Time In Kuta Bali

What Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


               The performance was magical. Baekhyun didn’t have any other words to describe it. He miraculously remembered what he had to chant, how he had to move and when to do it. Every time Sehun came in to the set to play his part, Baekhyun always felt like his heart stopped. He went blank every time he saw Sehun played his part. The feeling was between worried (because Sehun jumped here and there and Baekhyun was just worried that he would slipped and fall) and proud at the same time. The audience cheered loudly whenever it was Sehun’s part and the insides of Baekhyun’s chest felt warm and giddy whenever that happened. He was like being put into an auto-pilot mode the whole performance because he didn’t mess up anything while drooling at Sehun. Well, Bli Putu did said that the dancer were all put into some kind of half-tranced condition in this play, because they have to sing the whole performance and if it wasn’t done then they’d probably get exhausted halfway through the show. But still, he felt proud of himself. When the show finally ended, Baekhyun followed the other to the dressing room, feeling content at the loud applause the audience was giving them. Baekhyun knew the applause were probably addressed to the main dancers, but he was a part of this team anyway. He hugged all the Kecak dancers around him, as well as Bli Putu and Bli Wayan and a couple of other main dancers. When he saw Sehun, Baekhyun didn’t hesitate to run to him and jump to his embrace.

               “Hunnie! We didit we didit we didit we didit!!!!” he said with his arms around Sehun’s neck.

               Sehun hugged Baekhyun’s slim waist tightly, letting the older man burry his face on his broad shoulder, screaming and letting go all of his excitement. He remembered his feelings from his first performances. Just like Baekhyun, he was not the main dancer back then. He was just one of the 35 Kecak dancer, but it was very satisfying. It made him teared up, which probably what Baekhyun was doing now. He could feel Baekhyun starting to sniff, so he pulled back from the hug, looking at Baekhyun.

               “Hey, why are you crying?”

               Baekhyun didn’t answer. He bit his lower lips in attempt to stifle his sob. Shaking his head, Baekhyun tried to smile to Sehun. “Just..”

             “Hm?” Sehun cut Baekhyun’s word.

            “I never thought..”

“Really?” Sehun didn’t wait for Baekhyun to finish his sentence and went straight to teasing.

“I just..”

               When Baekhyun stop talking and pinched Sehun’s flat stomach instead, the taller male roared a laugh. It was fun teasing Baekhyun like this. Sehun knows Baekhyun has such a carefree personality, but somehow whenever he was around Sehun the other was never completely happy or having fun. There’s always some kind of a depressed aura whenever he was around Sehun that the younger just couldn’t understand. Is he that depressing? Is he not funny enough? Is he not fun enough to talk to? So when Baekhyun looked free of depression even when he spent the night performing with Sehun, Sehun felt happy.

               After changing their costumes into casual clothes, Sehun asked Baekhyun to come eat dinner with him. He took Baekhyun to a seaside restaurant with one of the best night view in Kuta. It was a bit more crowded than other are, but tonight is about celebrating. And Kuta is the best place to celebrate. Sehun took Baekhyun to one restaurant his friend owned, and they got a beautiful spot. Sehun had asked his friend to reserve it specially for him. They enjoyed the seafood, and after finishing dessert, they just sat there, enjoying their champagne while listening the sound of wave clashing. Baekhyun closed his eyes, inhaling the breeze of the sea. Sehun decided to do the same. This is very weird. The last two weeks had been a blast. He enjoyed every second he spent with Baekhyun. He showed every inch of Bali that he knows to Baekhyun, and it didn’t seem that two weeks was long enough. He still wanted to be with Baekhyun. He didn’t want Baekhyun to go back to Seoul. What’s weirder was, in this past two week he spent with Baekhyun, not once did he ever think about Krystal. He didn’t even care that she didn’t reply any of the e-mails he sent to her. Sehun had Krystal’s phone number, and it seems like she prefers texting and calling Sehun better than changing emails with him now.

               Sehun sighed, trying not to think too much and just enjoy the night with Baekhyun. He’s going back to Seoul the day after tomorrow, and Sehun wanted to make the best of his last days with Baekhyun. That’s when he heard Baekhyun hummed a song through his mouth. A very familiar song. He opened his eyes and whipped his head to Baekhyun’s direction in shock hearing the smooth voice singing the tune he knows.

“I was born and i met you. And i have loved you to death. My cold heart that has been dyed blue. Hm hm~ I’m singing my blue~s hm hm”

               Sehun didn’t know the words for Krystal – or “Krystal” – never share the lyrics in her letters, so he only knew the tune of the song. He knows it by heart. He looked at Baekhyun with wide eyes, not believing what he’s hearing. By instinct, Sehun hummed along with Baekhyun. Humming the tune he knows by heart, locking his eyes at Baekhyun who still has his eyes closed. That was the tune he composed. That was the tune he shared to whoever it was he wrote to. It is impossible that one would know the tune so perfectly yet the person he thought he had wrote to didn’t have the slightest idea about that song. Suddenly it all became clear to Sehun why Baekhyun was more familiar to him than Jung Krystal ever was.

               Hearing a low and deep voice humming along with his singing, Baekhyun stopped. He felt like he just got struck by a lightning. He was afraid to open his eyes, so he kept it close. He thought of what he should say to Sehun to explain what he just did. He felt like kicking his own for doing such a mistake. How could he lose control? How could he slipped and sung that tune in front of Sehun? How could he—

               “Don’t even try, Baekhyun,” Baekhyun heard Sehun said. There was anger obvious in the tone he’s talking with. “Don’t say that Krystal told you about this. Don’t say you heard this tune from her.”

               Baekhyun kept silent. He had no self-defense. He’s caught red handed. There’s no way out. Sehun kept looking at the other man who was still closing his eyes, squeezing it shut but Sehun could see fresh tears are forming in the corner of Baekhyun’s eyes.

               “ByunBaek Hyung?”

               The olderer man didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know what to say. The only thing his brain could think of was ‘get outta here, Baekhyun, just get outta here!’. So he did the first impulsive action he could’ve think of. He rose up from his seat and turned around, walking away from their dinner table.

               “No, no, Baekhyun!” Sehun followed him suit. In no time the younger was standing beside Baekhyun who hasn’t even took two steps away from their table, his hands holding Baekhyun’s wrist. “Don’t you dare walk away from me.”

               Baekhyun took a deep breath, and finally said, “No, Sehun, you can’t. I didn’t mean to... You… this is—“

               “This is the truth, Hyung!” Sehun said in a whispered scream. “I should’ve known. I should have known.”

               Baekhyun could only close his eyes again. The melancholy music the restaurant was playing is not helping. It only made him feel sadder than he already has.

               “You like tteokpokki so much, and Krystal doesn’t. You were the researcher from Seoul University. Jung Krystal was never interested in anthropology, let alone ethnomusicology. She couldn’t even pronounce the word correctly! The book you read, For One More Day, Mitch Albom, was your favourite while Krystal couldn’t even differentiate a book and a magazine! And then the song you just sang... I know that tune by heart, Baek. And Krystal never… NEVER continued the tune every time I hummed it. I... oh my God, I should’ve known!! Damn it! Byun Baekhyun!!”

               Sehun’s other hand that wasn’t holding Baekhyun’s slap the edge of their table. Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut, afraid of the rage his best friend was showing, but he was ready. He knows that this is all his fault. It was all his idea, to deceive Sehun like that. He’s ready to accept the risk, losing his friendship with the younger man. Even though it will hurt like hell, he’s ready. But just when Baekhyun thought Sehun was going to slap him and hit him and throw him to the sea in front of them, he heard Sehun ask in a small voice.

               “It was... it was you all this time, Baekkie Hyung?”

               Baekhyun did not answer. The result was Sehun growling, pulling Baekhyun’s arm rather harshly to force him to look at the taller.

               “Tell me the truth, Hyung. Was it you all along? Was it all real? Were you in love with me all this time?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter