Keep Holding On

What Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           The engagement party went on as if it never happened. Baekhyun didn’t want to come to the party, but it was Krystal’s engagement party. When he told her that he probably won’t attend her engagement party with Sehun, she didn’t threw a fit at him like he expected him to do. Instead, she just calmly said she understood, kissing Baekhyun’s cheek and saying goodnight to him as she returned to her apartment. Baekhyun felt guilty, and when the next morning he knocked on the Jung’s apartment to pick up Krystal to work, he can hear his best friend crying inside. He didn’t want to believe it was because of him, but when she didn’t talk to him at all during their walk to the office, or during the bus ride, Baekhyun was sure Krystal was angry at him. So as he hugged Krystal just before she got off the bus, he told her he’ll try his best to ask his boss for a day off on that day. Krystal squealed, hugging Baekhyun tight and thanking him. After all, Baekhyun is Krystal’s best friend, he’s like her own brother. She wanted Baekhyun to be with her at her special day. She wanted to share the joy with him. So it happened, and Baekhyun just sat beside his mother who was crying happy tears and telling him all the time how amazing the couple look. Baekhyun could only nod and forced a smile, not even once looked at Sehun. He can only saw Sehun’s outfit for today - a maroon patterned suit with black velvet pants - he couldn’t look at him past his neck. But Baekhyun was sure Sehun looked handsome as usual. Baekhyun had to admit though, his mother was right. The couple looked very good together. After the ring exchange, Baekhyun can’t help but to silently ran off the crowd, isolating himself at the balcony while feeling the breeze of Seoul’s winter night. Tears slowly ran down his face as he recalled the sight of Krystal’s happy smile after Sehun slipped her engagement ring to her fingers. This was how it’s supposed to be. Fate’s game is really cruel indeed.

               “Are you okay?”

               Baekhyun nearly jumped when he heard someone asked. He dropped his wine glass, making it break into pieces, one of the shards scratched his bare shin. He wore shorts today even when he knows the weather is not friendly. It was a semi-formal occasion so he wore his suit for the formal look. Well, he dresses based on how he wanted to dress, not how the weather or other people wanted him to.

               The well-built stranger with a magnificent golden hair came out of the corner he was standing, stepping into the light before he saw the blood trickling down Baekhyun’s foot.

               “You’re hurt,” he said calmly. Baekhyun studied the man’s face. He was breath taking. A handsome creature with a perfect built. Definitely not from his or Krystal’s side of family and friends, Baekhyun never saw him before. Still yet to overcome his shock, Baekhyun didn’t realize the other had scooted down to examine his injured foot.

               “Ah,” a sharp pain pulled him out of his shock.

               “Sorry, sorry,” the man said in his perfect English. “It’s not deep, but it hurts anyway. Wait a minute, I think I have a—ah! Here,” he pulled out a handkerchief from the pocket inside his jacket suit, looking around for something, then smiled when he saw his own drink sitting on top of the table there. He dashed off to wet the cloth with his alcoholic drink, and quickly scooted back near Baekhyun and dabbed the wet handkerchief to Baekhyun’s foot. “I’m sorry, I know it’s not hygiene, but at least, I thought, there’s alcohol in it so... oh well.”

               Baekhyun smiled at the guy looking up at him. This guy had a very distinct face. Attractive, though. His eyebrows was so thick and reminded Baekhyun of a character from the Angry Birds, his lips was plump and cute, and the guy was giving Baekhyun an ear to ear smile that Baekhyun could see his line of crooked and big, but attractive teeth.

               The guy then helped Baekhyun to sit at one of the chair on the balcony after seeing the bleeding has stop.

               “Thank you,” Baekhyun said, earning another smile from the other. “I’m Byun Baekhyun.”

               “Ah, so you’re the Byun Baekhyun.”

               Baekhyun, who had colored his hair red, nodded. “I didn’t realize I was that famous.”

               A light chuckle came out of the man who was now sitting at the other chair across the table. “I’m Yifan. Wu Yifan. Sehun’s friend. I heard a lot about you.”

               “Really?”

               The man named Yifan smiled, taking his glass of vodka he used for Baekhyun’s feet earlier, and sipped his drink before nodding. “You’re the best friend, right?” the blonde took a glance at the smiling guy beside him. “That punk, only has his eyes for Krystalssi while he got a super hot best friend here.”

               Baekhyun felt a pang in his heart when he heard this.

               “I’m sorry, did I just said that out loud?”

               Baekhyun nod confusedly at the other.

               “. I was... sorry, don’t be scared. Okay, I admit, I maybe have abs and all this muscle and of course this handsome face. And I might really look like Casanova who could get any girl he wants, but I... I’m gay.”

               There was a pregnant pause before Baekhyun fell into a fit of laugh that made the other man dropped his jaw.

               “What the hell, man? You’re a freak. You do not laugh when someone told you he’s gay,” the horrified look on Yifan’s face made Baekhyun laugh even harder. The guy was now shoving Baekhyun’s shoulder gently. “Yah, Baekhyunssi. Stop it! Are you drunk?”

               “No, no. I’m so—hahahhaa—I’m sorry,” Baekhyun waved his hand in front of his chest while the other was holding his flat tummy as he tried to suppress his laugh. “I’m not drunk I... I haven’t drank even one shot,” Baekhyun explained between his laugh.

               “What are you laughing for then? Hey, stop it, you’re scaring me!”

               This Yifan guy is sure funny. When Baekhyun’s laugh finally increased into small giggles, the other moved forward. “Are you done laughing at someone you just know for like, 5 minutes?”

               Baekhyun smiled at this muscled but adorable guy. “Are you done making jokes at someone you just know for like, 5 minutes?”

               Yifan eyes widen, his lips forming a smirk. “Right back at me. But I wasn’t joking! I AM gay.”

               “Not that part. But the cas—,” Baekhyun started laughing again. “The ‘Casanova who can get any girl he wants’ part. You.. oh my God..”

               Yifan pretend to get angry at this, he puffed his cheek as he reached out to slap Baekhyun’s shoulder gently. “What? You think I can’t?? Girls like men with exotic skin color like me. I’m tan, tan!!” the blonde said his ‘tan’ in a funny accent that made Baekhyun laugh even harder.

               Yifan let Baekhyun laughed. Unconsciously he smiled, seeing Baekhyun laughing like this – even if it was at him – is better than seeing this beautiful man being gloomy and staring blankly to nothingness in front of him like he was a few minutes ago.

               “I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said between cough, trying to hold his laughter, harder this time. “I’m just.. I mean.. man, I’m sure a lot of people like you. You really lift up my mood, Yifanssi.”

               Yifan really smiled at Baekhyun’s word. “I’m glad to hear that.”

               After a minute of silence, Baekhyun suddenly turned to look at Yifan. “I don’t mind,” was Baekhyun’s simple word, making the taller cocked his head to the side in confusion. Realizing the other’s confusion, Baekhyun smiled fondly. “I never liked girls too. I mean, not that I like guys. I don’t know. I only liked one guy my whole life.”

               And why did he tell this blonde guy that? He had only known Yifan for like, 5 minutes? Yet he’s about to tell him his whole love story. Baekhyun tried hard not to look at Yifan’s reaction, focusing on the lights of Seoul in front of him instead. The view from his family’s apartment is amazing, one of many reasons his parents choose this place.

               “Was he.. the one who made you cry?” Yifan asked in a whisper. Not wanting to sound nosy, but he really was curious. Baekhyun was beautiful. Wu Yifan never have been mesmerized by this kind of beauty at first sight before. Well, he does get attracted to a lot of guys, but he can feel it’s different this time. The attraction he felt when he saw Baekhyun wasn’t lust. It wasn’t ual. He couldn’t explain it himself.

               The lithe man scoffed at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter