Breathless

Temporary Affairs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Inhale.  Exhale.  Inhale.  Oh dear Lord, you were so nervous you thought you were going to rip your dress into pieces.  A makeup artist hovered over you as she did a few touch ups on your eye shadow and lips.  You bit your lip and grimaced when the taste of lipstick crept into the valleys of your tongue.  Gross.  The makeup artist slumped her shoulders as soon as she witnessed you ruin your makeup once again.  You mumbled a quick apology. 

As you looked down on your shaking hands, a familiar prankster whispered in your ears, “Boo!” 

You flinched.  But you were too anxious to even muster up a legit glare.  He sat down on the chair next to yours. 

“Why are you so nervous?” Jongin asked while comfortably leaning against the back of the chair. 

“Why aren’t you nervous?” you retorted.  Oh, of course because this means absolutely nothing to him. 

“Why should I be?” he questioned, holding his chin up with his arm. 

“Because my parents will be watching.  Your parents will be watching.  All these other business partners will be watching.  And there are reporters too.  Do you know what that means?  The whole world is watching!” you almost said in one breath. 

“So?” he asked, not getting your point. 

You abruptly turned around causing the makeup guru to smear a wad of lipstick across your cheek.  Jongin laughed at you mockingly.  You bowed to apologize to the make up artist, yet again.  From her eyes of fury and flaring nostrils, you swore she was about to shred your face up into a thousand pieces. 

“Why do you care so much about what people think?” the handsome heir questioned. 

You parted your lips to reply but the death glare from your makeup artist caused you to smack them right back together. 

“You’re really beautiful today,” Jongin complimented. 

Your head hung low to avoid eye contact.  He took your fidgeting hands into his to catch your attention.  His eyes gazed into your soul. 

“Stop freakin’ out,” he the back of your hand.  Easy for you to say, you don’t care at all about this engagement or this marriage or me…or anything. 

When the makeup artist finally left, you took an exaggerated sigh of relief.  Jongin massaged your arm, hoping to loosen some of the tension. 

“Oppa, should I make a scene?” you whispered.

“What?  Why?” he asked, bringing your slender leg onto his lap so he could massage it. 

Looking around to make sure no one was around, you said, “So that they would cancel the engagement.”

He slapped your thigh and you flinched back.

“Why would we need to do that?” he asked, dumbfounded.  You gave him the same dumbfounded look.

“What do you mean, ‘Why would we need to do that?’?  Because if we don’t now then they’re going to go ahead and start planning for the actual wedding,” you spoke frantically.

“And…?” he didn’t get your point and you didn’t get why he didn’t get your point.  OMG.  YOU DUMB MAN. 

“And when that happens, we can’t back out of the marriage,” you finished. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter