Head Over Heels

Temporary Affairs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Babe, come downstairs,” Jongin instructed, through the phone.

“Why?” you habitually question, even though you already knew where the conversation was going.

“I’m coming upstairs,” he cut the conversation short and then hung up. 

You threw your head back laughing like a little kid.  Quickly, you slipped on a wool sweater dress, an infinity scarf, and fluffy earmuffs.  Before you could do anything else, you fiancé barged into your room.

“Where are we going?” you nonchalantly asked in the car in case of an off chance that he would reveal the destination.

“You’ll see,” he responded as always.  The smile, on his handsome face, spread wider so that from your point of view, his laugh lines caved in deeper than natural dimples. 

He pulled up in front of an amusement park.  Your eyes glittered as you stared out of the car window at the magical scene.  Christmas ornaments and lights decorated the theme park, making it look like a winter wonderland.  Puffs of snow fell onto your hair as you got out of the car.  Jongin adoringly brushed it off your bangs.  With soft flushed cheeks, you happily looped your arm around his outstretched ones. 

“Oppa, I’ve never been to an amusement park before,” you confessed. 

“Whaaaaaaaaat??!” he asked, stopping in his tracks. 

“Is that strange?” you questioned.

“Very,” he answered. 

“Really?  How many times have you been here?” you asked curiously. 

“Hmm…maybe fifty times?”

“I bet you come here with girls a lot,” you quipped.

He doesn’t reply, instead just dragged you along.  You snickered. 

“I knew it,” you said, with a feign of bitterness...you know just to get even with him for teasing you about Shin Yuta. 

“Knew what?” he asked, pretending not to know. 

Rolling your eyes, you grabbed a lollipop from a candy stall.  You lean in to eat it but Jongin beats you to it.  A foolish grin dresses his thick and moist lips.  With a pout, you pretended to stomp off with arms crossed over your chest.  But, really, you weren’t angry at all. 

“Why is there no one here?” you asked, looking around in confusion at the deserted field. 

“Because I reserved the whole park,” Jongin replied and dusted off his broaden shoulders.  He pursed his lips and pointed to his cheeks to ask for a reward. 

But you're so enveloped in shock that you froze in place with your eyes widened and your jaw dropped to the floor.  As you let him drag you around the park, your eyes roamed all over his features again.  A genuine smile. Actually…it was more than genuine…because there was a hint…of shyness.  Oppa…could you also be liking me as much as I like you? 

Halting in front of the Ferris wheel, Jongin motioned for you to get in a cart.  Obediently, you do and automatically scooted over so that your fiancé could join you.  The ride began and you clung onto Jongin with your eyes closed shut.  Not afraid.  Not afraid at all.  Nope.  Nope.  Ahhh.  You daren't even breathe.

He chuckled, “Open your eyes.”

Childishly, you shook your head.

“Come on, Jagiya, open your eyes or you’ll miss it,” he coaxed. 

No.  No.  No.  But Jongin-Bear Oppa sounded so happy and temptation to see, what made him so elated, made you give in.  You in your breath and opened one eye, but closed it immediately again. 

“No. No. No.  I’m scared of heights,” you murmured, burying your head in his arm. 

A light laugh released from his heart before he draped an arm around your shoulder and pulled you closer to help calm your trembling body.  Loud banging and popping noises sounded from outside, tempting you to open your eyes.  But the coward within you continued to hide in your fiancé’s embrace.  As the ride arrived at the top of the wheel, it stopped.  You opened your eyes and panicked at the random point of stagnancy. 

“Oppa.  Oppa, did the ride break or did the electricity go out?” you frantically asked. 

Jongin simply ruffled your hair and motioned for you to look up at the sky.  From the corner of your eyes, flashes of colorful lights unraveled in the night sky.  Intricate floral shapes spun around and ignited sparks, painting the once pitch black canvas into a work of art.  Your mouth gaped in awe as you scooted closer to the window to peer up at the distance.  Wow.  Wow.  You've never seen fireworks so up close.  Turning around, you noticed that Jongin was not admiring the breathtaking scene but instead donned on a soft expression as he stared at your enraptured expression. 

“Why aren’t you looking up?” you asked.

“Because I can already see it through your eyes,” he honestly answered, a strand of loose hair behind your ear. 

#%$^^$%&&$&%%&$&  Kim Jongin nuuuuuu, you life ruineeeeeeer! 

You slouched back into your seat, already dizzy from your fear of heights, but now also from your fiancé’s cheesy pick up lines.  As the ride ended, you two took a romantic stroll down the rest of the park.  As you do, you discovered yourself gazing at him again but you quickly snapped out of the trance from the fear that he’d catch you staring at him. 

________ah, you’re in trouble.  You’re in deep trouble.  You’re in…love. 

Happily, you skipped around from one point to another, forgetting that you were wearing four-inch heels.  As you crossed a road made out of stones, you clumsily lost your footing.  Even though, Jongin caught you before you hit the floor, the damage was already done.  Grimacing in pain, you grabbed your right ankle.

“Are you hurt?” your fiancé worriedly asked.  For some reason, lately you're discovered that Jongin actually has a wide range of vocal tones and pitches.  He used to always be monotoned and harsh with his responses to you. 

Jongin squatted down and examined the extent of your injury.  Before you could even muster an answer, you were scooped up into his arms, walked toward and placed you gently down on a bench.  Tossing off your heels, he pressed around your leg to assess the area of injury.  A deep burgundy blotch was already beginning to form where you banged right against the pavement earlier.  Cold sweat trickled down your face but you bit your lip from yelping in pain.  You’re so, so mad at yourself for ruining such a perfect date.

“Let’s go to the hospital,” he suggested, crouching over so you could climb on his back. 

However, you sat still.  He spun around to discover you silently crying.  Frustrated, you hid your face behind your hair.  You could never get anything done right.  Even something as beautiful as falling in love, you couldn’t do it correctly.    

“Does it hurt real badly?” Jongin asked grimacing with you as you roughly wiped your tears. 

“No, I’m fine,” you braved a smile and instead suggested, "Oppa, let's get to the fried chicken place you like before they close for the night.  My treat because Oppa made me so happy with all the planning he put into for our date." 

He sat down beside you and replied, “No, you’re not fine.  Do you think I’m stupid?”

You stayed still, feeling absolutely worthless.  Hundreds, thousands of girls would die to be in your place, but you’re right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter