Episode One

SuperStar BootCamp ☆ Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Star?
 

   The Auditions

"Hello hello and welcome to the final auditions for JTBC's very own Super Star Boot Camp! Today twenty hopefuls will take to the stage to show us what they've got, and ten of them will be chosen to spend the next two months learning what it's like for idol trainees! Can they hold up under the pressure or will they fall apart? My name is Kang Jongwoon, and we're here to find out!"

The man speaking is a short, excitable man in what appears to be his mid thirties. He stands centerstage in the JTBC auditorium used for Girl Spirit and he gestures emphatically as he speaks.

"Before we bring out our first hopeful, let's meet today's judges! Ladies first!"

The scene shifts into a montage as a more professional-sounding announcer introduces the first judge.

"Appearing on the KPop scene with a splash almost seventeen years ago, this super star has remained one of the shining beacons of the KPop world since her debut at a mere thirteen years old. Representing SM Entertainment, Kwon Boah!"

The scene cuts back to the auditorium as BoA enters the judges' box. She gives the camera and audience a wave and a warm smile.

The image shifts again to an interview with the star.

"I think this show is a wonderful idea. Training to be an idol is tough, and actually being one can sometimes be even harder. It's a great idea to bring that effort to the forefront of viewers' attention." She smiles again as the scene transitions to a new montage.

The serious announcer is back to introduce the second judge.

"Starting out in a group, this accomplished musician struggled at the start of his career, but found great success as a soloist. Wanting to give other musical hopefuls a chance to shine he created his own company to train idols, and his label currently houses several successful groups, including the current top girl group TWICE! Announcing the one and only Park Jinyoung of JYP!"

Jinyoung enters the judge box as the scene changes back to the auditorium. He flashes a grin and a wink to the camera, and greets BoA warmly as he settles into the seat next to her.

"I'm quite excited to help audition the participants for this show!" He says in his interview. "I've seen a few older contestants waiting backstage and working in an industry that prefers youth I'm really curious to see if an increased age will affect someone's ability to survive the intensity of idol training."

To reflect his point, a few older contestants are shown in the waiting room, stretching and running vocal warmups with a blurred-out instructor.

Again a montage starts up and the announcer introduces the final judge.

"Starting his career in the nineties and becoming a musical icon of his time, this enterprising man started up his own company when his group broke up after four successful years. He's produced legendary groups that dominate the industry and are loved by Kpop fans and casual music listeners alike. Please welcome Yang Hyunsuk!"

The YG CEO's entrance into the judge's box is much more professional, and he merely nods in greeting to the other two occupants. Both smile and nod back, and JYP relaxes back into his seat getting himself comfortable.

"I've worked with both BoA and Jinyoung in judging in the past, but this will certainly be a different experience. I look forward to seeing what today's performers will bring." He's short but polite in his interview, and scene finally returns to Jongwoon who's still bouncing slightly on the balls of his feet. Once he's given the signal he launches eagerly into his next segment.

"Now I'm sure you're all excited to see our contestants, I know I am! But first I'll need your attention for just a bit longer to explain how the performances and judging will go!" He grins happily straight to camera.

"We'll be starting with our youngest contestants and going up the ages so our eldest will be performing at the end! Judges, you'll get to make one comment about each performance. You can say if you liked it, if you didn't, or anything in particular you want to point out to the performer themself. And then we'll move to the next contestant!" He pauses for a quick breath. "Well then, with that out of the way let's get to our first contestant! Please welcome seventeen year old Kim Kwonhee!"

Kwonhee is smiling widely as he walks on, looking absolutely starstruck.

The scene changes to an interview with the contestant, and this time the interviewer is visible. He's labelled as Choi Gikwang and he's an intense looking man who appears much taller than Kwonhee as they sit across from one another.

"Do you think you'll be able to handle the tough conditions of training?" Gikwang's voice is deep, and it's clear that he gave the introductions for the judges at the start of the episode.

Kwonhee looks momentarily uncertain. "Oh, I do'nt know." After a moment though a hopeful smile springs onto his face. "But I want to try. I want to see what it's like to live a tottally other life, you know?"

It cuts back to Gikwang. "What do you think your best skill is?"

"I can b-boy!" He says with a proud grin. "Everyone in the village says I'm the best b-boyer they've ever seen!"

"And is there anything else you'd like to say?"

Kwonhee turns and waves excitedly at the camera. "Hi mom! I'm on TV!"

At first the audience is distracted, but once Kwonhee starts to b-boy he catches their attention, and when he finishes he gets a respecatble amount of applause.

JYP however, is not impressed. "That was fine but it was clear you were supposed to sing along, which you didn't. Know your limits."

Kwonhee bows in acknowledgement.

YG seems to agree. "You weren't bad for a beginner, but that's not excuse to get overconfident. Because of the lacking back track vocals the performance seemed somewhat weaker than it should have."

BoA cuts him a bit more slack. "I wasn't sure what to expect at the start, but you really impressed me when you started B-boying!"

Smiling sweetly Kwonhee allows himself to be shooed off by Jongwoon, who proceeds to introduce the next competitor."

"Hailing all the way from Geoje Island, let's welcome eighteen year old Gi Eunchan!"

He waves someone on from the wings and a tall boy with strawberry blond hair bounds out, waving cheerfully to the judges and then to the audience who cheer.


"Hello!" He calls happily, and it seems he wants to say more but Jongwoon whispers something to him and he nods and stands center stage, bouncing slightly as he waits for his music to start.

"So what made you want to audition for the show?" Gikwang questions.

Eunchan smiles brighty. "The show's got everyone on the island excited, but it's like that American movie..." he trails off for a moment, thinking hard, before remembering the title. "The Hunger Games." His English is heavily accented, but he grins proudly. "I volunteered as tribute because nobody else on the island could handle it."

Gikwang is unphased by the odd response. "What do you think your best skill is?"

Eunchan has shifted in his seat as the camera returns to him. "Just like Katniss with her bow and arrow, that's dancing for me. People on the island would beg me to dance and perform for them every day." He gives a little shrug, his smile still firmly in place.

"And is there anything else you'd like to say?"

Eunchan perks up. "To the people watching?" His smile seems to grow brighter, if that's possible, and he spins to look at the camera directly, waving excitedly. "Hello, everyone! I'm Gi Eunchan, tribute from Geoje Island! I'll be here to win everyone over."

Eunchan looks like he's having the time of his life as he dances, smiling happily even when he makes a few missteps and lipsyncing along to the song. In the judge box BoA is grinning as well, and when he finishes she claps along with the spectators.

"That was so much fun! You're a delight to watch." She compliments the teen, and he beams at her.

"Thank you noona!"

YG is less impressed. "You've never had a second of dance lessons in your life have you?" Is his only gruff comment.

Eunchan shrugs. "We're here to learn, right?" He's still smiling brightly, undeterred by the critisism.

JYP has to think a moment before he speaks. "I was actually impressed that you could lipsync and dance at the same time. I know some idols who can't do that."

Eunchan is beaming again but before he can reply Jongwoon bundles him off the stage and begins to introduce the next contestant.

"Our next performance sees our first rapper of the night! Let's give  a warm welcome to eighteen year old Kim Jungmin!"

Jungmin is entering the stage before his introduction is even complete. There's an air of over confidence to him but he looks completely at home on the stage.

"What would you say your best skill is?" Gikwang asks as though he's afraid of the answer.

Jungmin smirks and gestures to himself in a clear everything gesture.

Gikwang sighs. "I'm afraid to ask, but what do you think your worst is?"

Jungmin barks out a laugh. "I'm too awesome."

Gikwang rubs tiredly at his temples. "Right."

The scene switches back to the stage as Jungmin begins to rap.

The crowd is thrilled at the end of his performance, and Jungmin takes his time listening to the applause before looking towards the judges.

YG is quite impressed. "That was very well done. Are you underground?"

Jungmin laughs. "Hell no. This is all me."

BoA was about to give her thoughts, but at hs tone she frowns and seems to change her mind. "It was fine but that attitude of yours could get you into trouble."

He scoffs. "Nothing wrong with confidence."

She shakes her head but says nothing else.

JYP looks a bit awkward. "I think you did pretty well myself. Good job?"

Jungmin flahses another grin. "Of course it was."

Jongwoon has a harder time shooing Jungmin of the stage, but he eventually succeeds and begins his next introduction.

"Up next we have an eighteen year old singer. He's a music major and composer, please welcome Han Minam!"

There's a pause, and then a young man stumbes onto the stage. He's wearing a blindfold and large headphones, and the camera shows several people in the audience looking bemused or snickering.

Gikwang is similarly unimpressed in the interview

"Why did you audition for the show?" The question is borderline accusatory Minam looks like he wants the floor to swallow him.

"...I....I was.... my friend... my b...best friend... convinced me t-to join. I thought...it would be... a good...experience...and...fun..maybe?...nevermind..."

"You thought singing in front of people and being followed around by cameras all day would be fun." Gikwang reiterates in clear disbelief.

Minam looks like he's going to cry.

Gikwang sizes up the contestant, and then sighs. "Look, you can go. I think we've got what we-"

Minam is out the door before he's even finished speaking and Gikwang sighs heavily.

He's a bit stiff as he sings, and there's a clear lisping in his words, but his voice remains steady and he gets a respectable amount of applause when he finishes. He takes a nervous breath and then pulls the headphones down around his neck and tugs off the blindfold to nervously glance up at the judges, clearly avoiding looking at the audience.

BoA glances at the other two before she speaks. "That was quite nice, you have a soothing voice."

Minam smiles shyly but otherwise doesn't respond.

JYP is less kind. "Honestly it was hard to pay attention when I was trying to figure out what was with the getup."

Minam blushes and looks down but againg gives no verbal reply.

YG eyes him critically for a moment, and then gives his thoughts. "If you have such severe stage fright why are you here?"

It's not accusatory, but Minam shrinks back apologetically, finally mumbling a small "sorry" before Jongwoon swoops in to resuce him, herding him off the stage.

Without missing a beat Jongwoon continues to the next performnce.

"Up next we have our first lady of the night! Ryu Yuuji is twenty years old  and enjoys busking in her free time with friends! Let's give her some love!"

The audience applauds as Yuuji bounces out, waving and blowing kisses.

The lights dim slightly and she calms down as her music begins to play.

The audience listens enraptured as she sings, and the subsequent applause is interspersed with whistles and loud cheers.

Smiling modestly Yuuji turns expectantly towards the judges.

This time JYP starts. "I feel like I know you from somewhere."

Yuuji shrugs modestly. "I was a trainee at Starship for three years so maybe from that?"

As she speaks the three judges begin to frown. The camera cuts to Jongwoon who has a look of mixed confusion and annoyance. He hurries onto the stage, signaling to the judges to hold their comments.

"I'm so sorry everyone but there seems to have been a mistake in screening. Yuuji if you could make your way offstage Gikwang will explain everything to you."

Confused and clearly hurt Yuuji does as instructed while Jongwoon apologizes to the audience once again.

There's a brief cut to Gikwang and Yuuji.

"You see, this show is only for people with no experience as idol trainees, therefore you aren't qualified to participate. I apologize that we didn't catch this earlier but you will have to leave."

Back onstage Jongwoon is attempting to regain order. "Alright! Alright that was quite an unfortunate oversight but wasn't it a lovely performance?"

The audience cheers and he has them again.

"Well get ready for more! Up next we have the lovely Ahn Jisoo! Turning twenty-one next week, Jisoo is currently studying to be a doctor! Let's see what she's got!"

His excitement is infectious and the audience roars approval as Jisoo strides onto the stage, the image of confidence.

"Do you think you'll be able to handle the tough conditions of training?" Gikwang prompts in her interview.

She shrugs modestly. "I'm pretty sure that I can endure this. If you've ever had to study for school around the clock without much sleep, you kind of get use to it after a while. So I'm pretty sure I can handle this."

"Is there anything in particular that you're worried about?"

She thinks for a moment, and then grimaces. "I'm worried that my parents will think I'm crazy for doing something like this and get mad at me. I know that they think that doing this kind of entertainment is just rubbish, but I want to show them that I am capable of doing this and that I can get something out of this even if I don't make it to the end." She then pauses and adds, in a lighter tone, "Oh! And hopefully they will never get me to dance in high heels. Those are too difficult to dance in." She pulls a face at the camera, and then laughs lightly.

Back onstage, Jisoo smiles charismatically to the front row, and then launches straight into her performance.

It's short but has the crowd going wild as it finishes. The dance is sharp and her aura is full of charisma. She finishes flawlessly and tosses a wink to one of the viewers before turning to the judges for their thoughts.

BoA laughs lightly. "Tell me you aren't a trainee as well, because that was some professional leve dancing!"

Jisoo laughs. "No ma'am, just a lot of hard work and dance lessons!"

YG goes next. "Your stage charisma is impressive for a rookie."

Jisoo doesn't reply verbally this time, but nods in thanks, her eyes gleaming.

JYP shrugs. "I honestly don't have anything to add other than nice song choice."

The audience laughs as Jisoo gives a curtsey and heads off without Jongwoon's prompting as the host introduces the next performer.

"Up next we have a foreign contestant! Originally from China, please welcome twenty-one year old Zhou Lei!"

The applause is a bit muted as Lei walks onstage, and he looks a bit shy as he waits for his music to start.

The audience gets more excited as the song starts, and Lei is mostly solid through the performance, though his rapping gets breathy towards the end. The applause aterwards is a bit louder than it had been before he performed but some audience members are clearly still not impressed with the foreigner.

The judges however hold no hostility as they give their thoughts.

"I admit I wasn't expecting you to rap! You look to squishy to be a rapper!" BoA's words are clearly meant to be positive but Lei frowns slightly.

"It was good to try and dance and rap simeultaneously but it's clear that you're untrained in any sort of breath control." YG critiques. Lei is less efected by this and he merely nods in acknowledgement.

JYP rounds out the judge's thoughts. "It was good but you need charisma for a song like that and that isn't really something you have. Good effort though!"

Again Lei simply nods and heads offstage as Jongwoon reappears from the wings.

Gikwang's interview question comes in before the image of him and Lei sitting across from each other does.

"Do you think you can handle the intensity of training?"

Lei nods softly. "I'm used to such stuff, you know, I have a strict schedule of working out and training... It will be fine, if I don't get called out for an emergency." He gives a small, breathy laugh. "Even though I took a vacation from work, when a big disaster happens they will still need me, you know... That's the life of a fireman, after all..."

Gikwang nods absently, and then pauses, looking up from his notes. "Wait, so you haven't really taken time off of work then. If a call came in right now you would leave?"

Lei looks slightly startled by the change of tone but he nods after a moment. "Of course. If people need saving I'll save them." He smiles warmly, but falters when he notices Gikwang's frown.

"I see. Well then you can leave. Don't bother waiting with the others."

Lei sits motionlessly in the seat for a moment, clearly stunned, before his expression morphs into one of pure anger.

"Excuse me? What the hell? I'm a triple threat performer and you're just kicking me out because I want to help people?"

Giwang is unmoved by Lei's fury, though he does wave a security guard into the camera's view. "The others are putting their jobs completely on hold to focus on training. If you can't do the same then you have no right to be here. You ca't run off in the middle of a rehearsal when your teammates are counting on you. Therefore, you are ineligible to be on this show. Thank you for your time."

Lei starts to argue but the scene cuts back to Jongwoon before anything can be heard.

"Up next we have another lady dancer! Indroducing Han Ahreum, a twenty-three year old law major at SNU!"

Ahreum comes out pulling a chair along with her. She nods and smiles to the judges and crowd before setting up the chair and standing in her starting position, waiting for her music cue. Her interview comes in before the performance as usual.

"What would you say your best skill is?"

Ahreum lights up and responds immediately, a smile bright on her face. "Dancing! I've still got room to improve but I can assure you that dancing is my charm point. I think that's where I get my confidence from."

"And your worst?" Gikwang prompts.

Ahreum takes longer to answer this time, thinking hard before replying. "I would say singing probably. I only ever sing in the shower and a lot of people tell me I sing out of tune." She gives a small laugh. "Can't say I disagree with them either."

The performance is short but appropriately sensual and several of the male audience members shout their approval both during and after the dance is finished.

JYP is applauding heartily along with the audience, and he's the first to give his thoughts once it's quiet enough to be heard.

"Wonderful dancing! You have room to improve but you fit the song perfectly!"

Ahreum grins and shoots him a wink which he pretends to catch.

BoA shakes her head in mild amusement at the exchange. "It was short but I concur that you did a good job with matching your expressions to the song."

Ahreum nods thankfully and then looks to YG.

"Honestly it was too short for me to really get any idea of what you're capable of." He's bluntly honest, and Ahreum chews her lip, frowning lightly.

Jongwoon ushers her offstage a moment later and returns to hyping up the audience. "Up next we have a school teacher! Everyone be on your best behavior!" He jokes. "Introducing twenty-three year old Son Hyemi!"

Hyemi bounces out onto the stage with a bright smile, waving excitedly and looking like she's absolutely thrilled to be there. She blows a few more kisses to the audience and judges before taking center stage.

"So what made you audition?" Gikwang prompts.

Hyemi giggles. "I want to be famous! My parents wouldn't let me be a trainee growing up. So here I am to give it a shot!" She smiles cutely. "Plus my kids can really learn to try for anything if I'm here. Even if I fail!"

"And is there anything in particular you're worried about?"

She laughs, a bit sadly. "My kids might see me and think I'm silly. They're all so cute and adorable. I'm going to miss working with them."

The performace is adorable despite her constant mistakes in the choreography, and at the end the male audience members especially give her resounding applause.

"That was... very cute." YG isn't as taken with the teacher as the audience.

"Your energy was excellent!" BoA encourages when Hyemi begins to look embarrassed at YG's comment.

"There were a lot of mistakes though." JYP notes. BoA glares at him but he doesn't notice.

Hyemi is distinctly less excited as she leaves the stage..

"Up next we have twenty three year old Nam Woojin!" Jongwoon's introduction brings the energy right back up. "An acting major, let's see if that theatre training does him any favors onstage!"

The audience cheers as Woojin enters, and he spares them a smile before settling himself in the chair that Ahreum had left behind.

"What do you think your best skill is?" Gikwang's question sounds before the screen has fully switched to the interview room.

Woojin smiles slightly. "This might be surprising but it'd be my acting. I mean I'm an acting major after all." He rubs his neck, a little embarrassed. "I'm good at conveying emotions, after all that's what acting is all about. Whatever the song we're performing is about, I'll be able to show the audience exactly that emotion. I also have some experience with stage directing and costuming, though never with anything musical."

"Is there anything in particular that you're worried about?"

Woojin shakes his head. "Not really. I'll face anything the show throws at me."

While not the most techincally powerful performace so far by a long shot, Woojin's voice carries a delicate emotion that has most of the audience swaying along.

This time YG is the one to applaud and speak first.

"Excellent job with the emotions." He nods, and Woojin returns it slightly.

BoA is next. "I really like the song choice but you strained a lot on the higher notes. Maybe stick to your lower register in the future?" She suggests with a smile.

Again Woojin responds only with a slight nod.

JYP shrugs. "My note is about technique too honestly, so I'll leave it a that for time's sake."

Another nod, and then Woojin politely bows and excuses himself to the wings.

"Up next please welcome the first rapper of the night! Welcome to twenty-four year old Jung Jaewon!"

Jaewon strides onto the stage, the picture of cool confidence as he grins out at the audience.

In his interviews he's completely relaxed.

"Honestly I just wanted my fifteen minutes of fame, and this could be a good experience either way." He explains to Gikwang.

Gikwang raises an eyebrow. "So you think you can handle idol training?"

Jaewon shrugs. "School in Korea is tough, how much harder can training be?"

Back onstage, he drops into a crouch as the music begins.

The audience cheers, clearly thrilled with the first rapper, though some members are shown to be stunned or uncomfortable with some of his lyrics.

YG is content. "Good flow, decent stage presence, overall a decent performance." He notes.

JYP nods. "You seemed like a real rapper up there. Do you do undergound battles?"

Jaewon gives a lazy shake of his head. "Not anymore. I did in high school but work comes first, you know?"

JYP nods in turn as BoA speaks.
"I don't know much about rap but you really loked like you were getting into your song." She offers. She's clearly one of the  people not exactly thrilled with his lyrics.

Once Jaewon has exited Jongwoon hypes the audience up for the next performance.

"Up next we have a pretty boy from Daegu! Please welcome twenty-four year old Kwon Hanhae!"

Hanhae is shameless as he enters the stage with a flourish, blowing kisses at the audience and judges alike and even sparing a wink for Jongwoon, who gives a flustered laugh despite himself.

Once he's finished flirting with the audience he takes a seat in the still present chair from Ahreum's dance.

Gikwang looks unimpressed with the man in his interview. "So what made you want to audition for this show?"

Hanhae looks completely at ease in front of the camera, and even tosses it a lazy smile before responding to Gikwang's question. "After graduating university it's been hard finding a job. I had nothing better to do and figured why not? This seems like fun. It beats hanging out with my mom all day. I love her but there's only so many times I can listen to her talking about her favourite dramas before going insane you feel?" He looks into the camera apologetically. "Eomma sorry I love you!"

For a moment Gikwang almost looks amused before he regains his serious composure. "And do you think you can handle the intense conditions of training?"

"I have absolutely no idea," He says brightly, grinning at the camera. "But I'm excited to find out."

He's even worse than Woojin in terms of technique but he looks so confident during the performance that he has the audience engaged regardless. He's back to winking and blowing kisses almost as soon as the song is over and the women in particular are thrilled.

BoA is not exempt from the fascination with the pretty young man on the stage. "I have to say, even if you aren't the best singer I was quite engaged regardless."

Hanhae gives a bow. "I'm flattered to get such praise from such a lovely young lady." He replies and BoA laughs, blushing lightly.

YG is much less impressed. "You're clearly drifting on your looks." He comments shortly, and Hanhae gives a shrug.

"Well if you've got them, why not use them? These ladies know what I mean."

A group of - honestly average - girls in the front shriek at the attention and he flashes another grin.

JYP laughs. "I'll give you this, you definitely know how to work a crowd." Hanhae just grins again and gives a sweeping bow before he exits, finally taking the chair with him.

Jongwoon proceeds to present the next performer.

"Up next we have our first female rapper of the night! Twenty-seven year old Kim Jinyi owns a bakery here in Seoul. I'm curious to see if her rapping is as good as her pies!"

Jinyi grins at Jongwoon as she enters the stage, and then waves into the auditorium.

The screen changes to Jinyi's interview.

"What would you say is your best skill?"

"They SAY rap," She shrugs, "But I really think it's my diligence. If I do rap even remotely well, then it's from just practicing over and over."

Gikwang nods. "And your worst one?"

She pauses, blinks, and then pulls a face. "...you're going to make me dance, aren't you?" She proceeds to swear impressively, though it cuts back to her performance before anything can be heard.

The rap is laid back and far from underground level, but it's steady enough and BoA and JYP both seem impressed by the end.

YG, on the other had, is not.

"That was barely passable as fast talking, there was no flow at all." He scolds.

Jinyi rolls her eyes. "Were you expecting any from something like this? Dude, we're a bunch of normals from out on the street, try matching your expectations accordingly."

YG looks shocked at the response, while both of the other judges are attempting to hide their amusement.

"Well I thought it was well done. And I love your hair by the way." BoA compliments.

Jinyi lights up. "Thanks! I just dyed it, I'm glad it turned out well!"

The two women share a smile before JYP awkwardly clears his throat.

"I actually thought it was surprisingly good for a non-rapper myself."

Jinyi grins but is ushered off by Jongwoon before she can reply."Sorry guys but we're a bit behind schedule so we'll have to keep the rest of these critiques brief!" He explains with a smile, looking straigh to the camera as he begins his next introduction.

"Our next contestant is another from out of town! Hailing from Yeoncheon is twenty-seven year old Park Myunghwa!"

Myunghwa enters the stage almost nervously, clutching a microphone in one hand, and a chair in the other, and has a guitar slung across her back. She nods to the audience and the judges before hurrying to set up the chair and check her guitar's tuning.

Her interview begins with her speaking instead of the usual question from Gikwang.

"I've always wanted to be a singer." She explains. "But due to... circumstances I wasn't able to pursue my dream. So when I saw the audition for this show- well I actually wasn't going to audition at all." She laughs nervously. "I've got responsibilities now... but my little brother signed me up and forced me to audition, and he can be quite persistent, so here I am."

"Is there anything in particular that you're worried about?" Gikwang questions.

She hesitates slightly before she repsonds. "While the challenges of the show will definitely be hard on me, what I'm worried about most is missing my- my family." She pauses again, fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "I've never been apart from my family for so long, I'm really going to miss them."

Gikwang nods in understanding. "Those are all my questions. But before you go, is there anything else you'd like to say?"

Myunghwa looks straight to the camera and smiles. "I'm really excited to give singing another try. I absolutely love doing it, and it's been that dream that never happened for me, that I never got to pursue. I thought I'd never be able to have an opportunity like this so I'm so grateful that you're giving me this chance, and that my brother signed me up for this."

Back onstage, she takes a deep breath, adjusts the microphone, and begins.

The audience sits enraptured with her voice. While far from the most powerful performance of the night, there's a lightness in her tone that warrants utter silence from the audience. Myunghwa's nervousness melts away as she plays, getting lost in the music.

As the last notes die, the audience erupts, and Myunghwa looks startled, as if she'd forgotten they were there are all. She quickly composes herself and bows as she shifts her guitar.

JYP applauds enthusiastically even as he gives his critique. "Wonderful song choice, it fits your vocals perfectly."

Myunghwa blushes slightly.

YG is also nodding. "While nothing outstanding the guitar and the song selection made you stand out."

BoA is speaking almost beore YG finishes. "Honestly I thought it was hauntingly beautiful. You should pursue an actual career in music when the show is over!'Myunghwa seems a bit overwhelmed by the praise, and she bows, smiling, and makes her exit.

"Up next we have another rapper! Please welcome twenty-nine year old Lee Hadon to the stage!" Jongwoon is a excited as ever as he brings the screen back to the stage

Hadon is short compared to a lot of the male contestants seen so far, but he walks with an easy confidence and grins out at the crowd unabashedly.

Then he launches into what is most certainly not a rap.

The audience cheers but there's clear confusion as to what had just happened. Hadon is unworried by the stuttered response, sliding a hand into his pocket and waiting for the judges to speak.

However the comments are skipped and it cuts straight to Hadon's interview.

"With how popular that pop stuff is getting I figure there will be lots of people watching. I'm aiming to win the beatbox championships this year so I'll take exposure where I can get it." He explains.

"So you think you can handle the tough training conditions?" Gikwang prompts.

Hadon shrugs. "I'll keep up fine, how hard can it really be?"

"Up next we have another dancer!" Jongwoon returns with his usual gusto. "Please welcome the lovely Orihime! Can you believe she's thirty? I sure can't!"

Orihime laughs a bit as she enters, the picture of elegance and regality. She only takes a moment to nod in acknowledgement of the crowd before hitting her start pose.

"So is there anything you're worried about with the show?"

In her interview, Orihime rolls her eyes dramatically. "Well not the editing!" Her tone drips with sarcasm. "Honestly, I've seen enough shows to know about the whole evil editing thing, and I can be pretty blunt and straightforward, but I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way like with what happened to Jessi in Unpretty Rapstar."

"And is there anything else you'd like to say?"

She smirks. "I know I can compete with the others here, despite some of them being half my age. I have nothing against them but y'know, they have the edge when it comes to something like Produce 101 or something, but this is going to be my time to shine."

The audience cheers as she finishes, and she smiles at them before looking to the judges.

BoA is clapping politely. "Excellent job! Though it was short you clearly have had lessons n the past."

JYP nods. "There's defnitely control in your movements that only comes from years of training." He agrees.

YG hums slightly. "I can't really add to that." He shrugs. "Good job."

Orihime gives s short curtsey and allows Jongwoon to shoo her off the stage a moment later.

Jongwoon looks excited as he prepares to introduce the next contestants. "Our next performance is a special one! These next two contestants are husband and wife, and will be performing a duet! Please welcome Akihiro Moriguchi and Ahn Sarang!"

The two walk out holding hands. Sarang looks much more excited than Akihiro, tugging lightly at his hand to encourage him to wave.

Once they've finished waving they get into position for their song.

"My wife is a big fan of korean pop music ever since her teen years. She heard you are having an audition and that our age is within the age range, so we prepared our performance and here we are."

Akihiro and Sarang are giving their interview together as well, and she shoves him lightly at his words.

Gikwang is unimpressed. "Do you think you'll be able to handle the tough conditions of training?"

Sarang nods, though it's a bit uncertain. "I've watched a lot of shows about trainee life, so I know a thing or two, I guess that's an advantage for me?"

Gikwang doesn't comment. "And is there anything else you'd like to say before we move on?"

Akihiro speaks up again, smiling. "Please pick my wife, she really wants to be a kpop idol."

The audience is thrilled with the performance despite Akihiro's regular missteps and Sarang's strained high notes. Their chemistry is undeniable.

YG begins the analysis as soon as it's quiet enough to do so. "I believe it was wise to do a duet as individually neither of you stood out to me. It was the chemisty that made you memorable."

JYP gives a small laugh. "I agree, though Akihiro I have to ask, do you even want to be here? She's much more enthusiastic than you."

He shrugs. "This is her dream. I want to support that."

The audience 'aws'.

Jongwoon is smiling brightly as the two exit, holding hands. "Isn't that just the cutest thing? I almost wish we could end right there but we've got two more performances for you tonight! Up next we have thirty-two year old Mo Giri, who works with idol trainees as a counselor!"

Giri is smiling as she enters the stage, though her waving is a bit awkward. She clears lightly as she prepares to begin.

"So you counsel actual idol trainees. What would prompt you to join a show like this one knowing what the conditions are?" Gikwang sounds genuinely curious.

She doesn't even have to think about her answer before smiling softly and replying, "Well, as a counselor for children and teenagers in the entertainment industry, I really try to instill a sense of confidence and positivity in them. And my auditioning for this show is a way to show them that just putting yourself out there, even if you don't make it far, is something amazing all on its own."

Gikwang nods thoughtfully. "So is there anything in particular that you're worried about?"

For a moment, her smiles wavers. "Giving up. I'm worried things will get so hard that I'll want to quit. I came here for a reason, to show my children, the ones I counsel, that no matter what they shouldn't give up if they really want something. There's nothing wrong with not making it far if you've tried your absolute best. So, that's what I need to do, no matter how hard it gets."

The audience applauds a she finishes the short rap, but they're either tired or less impressed than usual as it sounds somewhat muted.

"You... are certainly not a rapper. I assume you consider yourself a worse singer?" YG guesses.

Giri nods, looking awkward, but doesn't give a verbal response.

BoA rescues her. "I actually liked that you took a song that isn't normally rapped to show us your own style." She offers with a smile.

Giri's own smile slowly returns at the praise.

"Honestly there are idols who rap the same way as you, it's nothing to be ashamed of." JYP finishes off, though he sounds a bit dissmissive.

Giri hurries off the stage almost as soon as he's finished speaking, and Jongwoon is quick to come back on to bring on the final performer.

"Well folks, we're at the end of our night! We've seen some amazing performances, but we've saved a special one for last! Introducing fourty-three year old Park Jinyoo!"

Jinyoo steps onto the stage in a simple, conservative outfit and she shifts uncertainly at the amount of eyes staring at her.

"What would you say your worst skill is? In terms of being an idol."

Jinyoo shifts in her seat. "Um, I am a teacher, but... I use sign language while I teach? So talking is something I am a little less—a lot less—used to. So... stage fright, backstage fright, all the fright, I guess?"

Back on the stage her fright is evident, but she clears and stares intently at the ground until the music begins.

Several audience members are caught tearing up or straight-out crying by the end of the performance, nd even Jongwoon is wiping at his eyes as he reappears onstage.

"I believe that speaks for itself! We are unfortunately out of time, but remember to vote for your favorite performances tonight and we'll see you next time, when our chosen trainee will start their Bootcamp! I'm Kang Jongwoon, and we'll see you next week!"

 

Author's Note.  There isn't any actual voting, sorry guys! The chosen "trainees" will be posted tomorrow or Monday depending on when I find time to finish the cast page. But we're finally starting! I hope you guys will have as much fun as I know I will ^^

And if you're looking or some other amazing stories to apply to, check on Fringe Trainees by Urangutan and Formidame! And I've got my own project Princess that will start as soon as this story is complete so check those out if you're interested!