Chapter 4

Crystal Wings

Trying to sleep that night wasn't easy. Every thing that creaked, cracked, or hooted made Taehyung's body shake. What Hoseok said unnerved him, so he kept one eye open all night.

The next day, Hoseok sat up and smiled, looking over at Taehyung and laughing. He stood up and walked over to the other boy and patted him on the back to wake him up.

"Did you not sleep very well?" Hoseok said, laughing again. 

"You know what? you." Taehyung got up and glared intensely at Hoseok.

Hoseok chuckled, "Not unless we have dinner first."

 

 

They walked a while in silence for a few hours, Taehyung's light humming was the only thing that was breaking the quietness. Although it was midday it was staring to get dark, twilight was all around them. Hoseok didn't seem too bothered by it so Taehyung just walked, but his humming had ceased. 

Hoseok stopped quickly, startling Taehyung by grabbing him and holding him in place, "Do not, whatever you do, do not leave my side." Hoseok had a bit of worry flash across his face.

"Why-" Taehyung started, but then he heard it. An ethereal sounding voice filtered through the trees, the falsetto, light notes were inviting and Taehyung wanted to follow them. He reached his hand out towards where they were coming from but Hoseok jerked him back, confusing him until he remembered what Hoseok had told him. 

"What are they?" Taehyung whispered in fascination. If Hoseok had to warn him to stay away he knew they had to be somewhat deadly. 

"They are like the sirens of the faerie world, V. They lure in unsuspecting, weak victims by singing and when you get close enough they kill you, rip you apart, and eat your insides. No matter what their voices sound like, they are not beautiful creatures at all, they're ugly and merciless. So stick close." 

"Okay." Taehyung shivered slightly, now more alert than before as Hoseok's grip on his arm tightened as they walked forward. 

 

Soon they had gotten past the singing and it was starting to get dark again. Hoseok, as though not noticing, just kept walking. This confused Taehyung but he didn't ask.

What he did ask though was, "Is Hoseok your real name? Or is it a fake name?"

"Good question. Hoseok is my real name, unlike the one you gave me."

"Hmm. Why did you give your real name?" This fact made Taehyung quite curious.

Hoseok glanced over and then forward again, "Because it would make no difference if you knew my name or not. But, I could do a lot of damage if I knew your real name."

"What do you mean by that?"

Hoseok chose not to answer and they soon reached a small break in the forest. It was beautiful. With the trees surrounding them the place looked eerie and haunted by something dark, but the spring colored flowers contrasted the scene completely. As Taehyung scanned his surroundings, he saw what seemed to be little specs of glitter floating everywhere. As a few flew past his ears he heard a sharp, cold, metallic sound.  

"Before you ask, those are pixies. Nasty little things. If they get too close they can cut you. And I would not recommend swatting at them to make them go away." 

"Wow." Taehyung glanced around once more before looking at Hoseok. "Are we staying here for the night or...?"

"Oh no, we cannot stay here, did you not hear about what I said about the pixies? We have to get across the river and we will sleep in the smaller clearing over on the other side." He pointed towards a river that was bubbling along on the other side of the clearing. 

"But how are you going to get over there?" Taehyung asked, looking at the pixies and listening to the sound they made as the flew around him. 

Hoseok chuckled and reached towards the ground, taking one finger and drawing a star on the grass. "This is how."

The ground shifted and moved, opening up a narrow staircase in the ground with a dark tunnel at the bottom. Taehyung's eyes shifted rapidly between the new hole in the ground and Hoseok, a large question hanging in the air.

"What the ?! How did you do that?" Taehyung's jaw was on the ground. 

Hoseok wiggled his fingers, "Magic", He laughed and started walking down the stairs. "You coming?"

Taehyung rolled his eyes and scoffed but followed Hoseok into the darkness of the tunnel. It was long but somehow light enough so he could walk without tripping. Soon, though, he heard water rushing and a steep incline of the ground. 

"Ah, we've made it!" Hoseok clapped his hands together and smiled, "Finally. Now we can rest." He started to walk faster up the incline and into the fading sunlight.

 

 

 

/ I know this chapter aint that good but oh well lol/