1: welcome to chicago

Love Beyond Borders

Jeongyeon
After we get off the bus, some nice lady takes us to a classroom with fourteen people in the room. Huh, I think, but there are sixteen of us. The nice lady must notice two people are missing because she looks concerned and checks the tablet in her hand. 
"I am so sorry," she says, looking over at Namjoon and Mina,"it doesn't look like your hosts will be at school today. Namjoon, your host did not provide information about alternate arrangements for you getting to his house, so I'll have to call his parents. Mina, I'll have you follow Reagan's older sister around. Reagan is ill today so you'll just ride home with her sister. Alright, the rest of you can go and meet your hosts. They have your class schedule." I smile at the nice lady and look over at Mina, who smiles happily back at me. Mina was born in the States, so this isn't exactly her first time here. She doesn't seem half as nervous as I feel about today. I hold my breath and look for Bianca. Bianca, Bianca, where are you? I think to myself. Ah, there she is. A girl with died blonde hair sits on top of a desk chewing gum and looking at her phone. I clear my throat, getting her attention. 
"Hello, I'm Jeongyeon." I say with a bow. Bianca looks up from her phone with a smirk. 
"Well hi whatever your name is. What's with the bow? I didn't think we were doing karate right now." I feel my smile fall from my face. Why is she asking me this? "Here's your damned list, little Chinese . My parents made me participate in this thing so it'd look good for college. I just can't wait to share my house with a little freak like you for the next few months." I stare at her in shock. What did I ever do to her? Am I understanding her correctly?
"Uh, do I hear you correctly? I am Korean, not Chinese. And for your information I been told it is rude to call someone a . I do not know if that true. And thank you for the list." I say, yanking the paper from her perfectly manicured nails. I'm surprised she hasn't made a racist joke about manicures yet. Bianca looks up at me and rolls her eyes. She then stands up, towering above me about two inches in those stupid pink heels. 
"Listen here you little ," she says, chewing her gum. "you're gonna stay quiet and stay out of my life. Don't talk to my boyfriend or any boy here. Also, try and just stay speaking your ching-chong language. You sound stupid with your little accent speaking mine." I blink twice, fighting tears. Why is she being so mean to me? I look over at the others and see them pleasantly chatting with their hosts. Why do I feel like crying? No one in Korea was ever this mean to me. Without saying another word, I hold my papers tight and run out the room to the bathroom. This is going to be a long day. This is going to be a long three months. 

Kaylee
Ah, 4th period AP Calculus. I hate this class because it's too easy. I mean it's a senior level class, but still, it's a little on the easy side for a 'college' level class. I set down my books in my unassigned assigned seat, which basically means I sit here every class. No one questions it. The best part about this seat is that the one behind me is empty so I always put my backpack there. However, someone else is already sitting in that seat. That Korean boy. I glare at him, although I know its not his fault. He looks up at me and grabs his books.
    "Sorry sorry. Is...are you the one sitting here?" He asks me in smooth English. I shake my head.
    "No, I'm the one who should be sorry. Go ahead and sit there. It's just forty minutes of torture followed by the best period of the day, lunch." The Korean boy laughs.
    "Aren't you in grade ten? Isn't this class challenging for you?" I smile and shake my head.
    "Not really. What grade equivalent are you in Korea?" I ask stupidly, knowing he's a senior since they placed him in this class.
    "A senior, but this is all easy for me too." I sit down in my desk and turn around, knowing that the class is about to start. 
    "That's cool. So, who are you staying with here?" 
    "Someone who's on swim team that didn't bother to show up to school today. Anyways, his parents are apparently picking me up today after school. He never really responded to my texts so I never got to know him." Korean boy looks down a second, kind of looking disappointed.
    "That's too bad." I say, pulling my strawberry blonde hair back into a ponytail.
    "It's fine. Oh, since he's not here, could I sit with you and your friends at lunch?" I nod my head although I really have no friends to sit with at lunch. My only friends got good lunches at earlier times, so I usually sit alone. The teacher walks in the room, diverting my attention to the board. I turn back around to ask the Korean boy one more question.
    "By the way, I never got chance to ask, but what's your name?" He opens his mouth to speak but is cut off by the teacher.
    "Hello class. Please go to page 398 in your book and do problems 1-3 without a calculator. But first, let's introduce our exchanged student, Namjoon. Let's go ahead and have him introduce himself." Namjoon stands up and walks to the front of the room.
    "Hi, I'm Kim Namjoon. I'm here with a group of girls and boys from Seoul Performing Arts High School. We'll be here for two months, so you'll be seeing us around school. Out of all of our group, I happen to speak the best English. I enjoy rapping, mathematics and learning new languages. I'm excited to get to experience your culture and get to know you all. Thank you." Namjoon says with a bow and walks back to his desk. I smile at him and tap my stylus on the desk.
    "Well, thank you too Namjoon. Now, let's start on those problems. I assume you have the book on your tablet." Namjoon nods him head and pulls the book up on his tablet.
    "Got it right here." He smiles at me and starts working on the problem. Namjoon seems like an interesting guy. I can't wait to hear more about him and his life in Korea during lunch. 

Taehyung 
We go to lunch at 11:15. That's what Brian told me anyways. I tap my foot on the chair in front of me and look at the clock. Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. RINGGGG. The lunch bell rings and I grab my backpack. Brian turns to make sure I'm there. 
"You comin bro?" He asks. I smile and nod my head. Ugh, I wish I got more sleep last night. I was just to nervous and excited about today. I'm so glad Brian's actually a really cool dude. He said he was going to introduce me to his baseball team after school and that he might let me try and pitch or hit. I don't know what that means since I'm more into dancing and singing, but I'm excited. 
"Hey, you want a hamburger?" Brian asks as we go through the line. I nod my head. I'm excited to try American food. After we buy my food, we search the lunchroom for Brian's friends table. His friend is hosting my hyung Yoongi. I don't really talk to Yoongi a whole lot since he's a grade above me but I hope we'll get to know each other better on this trip. I secretly think he's really cool, even if he cares about Jimin-hyung way more than he does me. 
"Taehyung, how are you liking America?" Yoongi asks me in Korean. I perk up at my name. I sigh. I was starting to drift off. 
"What?" I ask in Korean, not knowing what he said. Yoongi smiles. 
"I asked you how you liked America so far." He says. I smile back at him, happy to be hearing someone speak my own language again. 
"It's really great! Well, everything besides the time change." Yoongi laughs. "What about you?" I ask. He goes to answer me but is interrupted by two excited looking girls. 
"Hi! Name my am Marlow, nice to meet you." The shorter of the two girls says in butchered Korean. 
"Wassup." Yoongi replies in English. The girls look at each other and the other one introduces herself. 
"Hello, I am Georgia. Welcome to America." She says in clearer, better pronounced Korean. I smile at her. 
"I'm Tae, turn up!" I say in English, using the only 'cool' English phrase I know. Both girls giggle. 
"I am Min Yoongi, but you call me Yoongi." Yoongi says back to the girls. 
"Okay, well I guess we'll be seeing you around school." Marlow says to us and then leaves with a little bow. I laugh to myself at her. It's so funny how people are obsessed with our culture. 
"What a Koreaboo. Sorry about that, Taehyung." Brian says to me. I sigh, realizing if I ever want to be an idol that I'll have to deal with girls like that all the time. 
"It fine." I say to Brian, knowing that my English is a little off. "It is actually funny to me." Yoongi nods his head, agreeing with me. 
"Well dude, are you gonna eat your food?" Brian asks me. All I understand is that he said eat and food, so I just nod my head and pick up my hamburger. Yoongi smiles at me and eats a carrot. 
"First of all, these are weird, and second of all, how are your managing with your English? Can you understand him?" He asks, motioning towards Brian. I shrug my shoulders. 
"Good enough. I can't communicate perfectly and I know I don't speak properly but I understand the just of what he's saying." Yoongi straightens his tie and nods. 
"Same with me. I wish they at least offered Korean at this school. None of these kids even have a clue as to what we're saying, well maybe besides those Koreaboos. They kinda piss me off to be honest." I shake my head. 
"They made me think of fans, you know like how it would be if I was an idol." Yoongi opens his mouth to respond but the bell rings. 
"C'mon Taehyung, gotta go to Civics class." I nod and say goodbye to Yoongi, not knowing what he was going to say. I just follow Brian and wonder what the next three months are going to be like.