tenderness

to vary

 

 

jimin clutched a small note tightly to her chest.

she paced back and forth, nervous.

the bell rang and kids flooded out.

she stood in front of a classroom and watched as the students headed towards the cafeteria.

finally, he appeared and walked ahead, not noticing jimin because she was so short.

 

she called out his name and he turned around. 

jimin ran up to him and smiled, "hey, bambam," 

"sup jimin," he casually responded. 

 

although they weren't complete strangers, they weren't friends either - more like acquaintances.

bambam had been paired up with jimin for a couple projects and they worked fairly well but there was no communication outside of that.

 

they continued walking and jimin asked, "you're not dating anyone, are you?"

"nah," he replied, "why? does one of your friends have a crush on me?"

bambam was known throughout the school for his visuals and several girls confessed to him every year. 

"nope, i was just wondering. i'm a little surprised though," jimin answered, "it's our last year of high school and you should enjoy it."

"i am," he said, "just with my friends." 

they arrived at the cafeteria and jimin handed him the letter.

she lightly bowed and said, "thanks for talking with me," 

 

she rushed into the cafeteria and searched for her friends.

once she did, she sat down and touched her cheeks. 

jimin's heart was racing and she could tell her face was beet red. 

her closest friend, yerin, looked up and asked, "are you sick? you look tired."

"i'm fine," jimin responded and gently fanned herself. 

she couldn't bear to see bambam's face when he read the letter but she knew she wanted a proper rejection. 

 

yerin asked, "aren't you going to eat lunch?"

"i'm not that hungry right now," jimin replied. 

yerin looked worried, "don't tell me you actually confessed to bambam,"

"yeah, I did. how did you know?"

"he's walking over here right now!" 

 

jimin immediately sat up and froze.

her head wouldn't budge and she shut her eyes tight. 

"hi, jimin, again," she heard him say.

slowly, she opened her eyes. 

"can I talk to you privately?" he asked. 

jimin stuttered, "s-sure," 

 

he led her into the hallway and stared at her, "i'm kinda interested in you too,"

jimin nearly choked on her own saliva, "what?" 

"i read your confession letter and i want to date you too,"

"you must be kidding me. is today april fool's?" she laughed. 

he responded, "i'm being completely serious,"

"oh...um, thank you," jimin awkwardly bowed. 

 

bambam smiled and walked back into the cafeteria, leaving her there.

"wow. just wow," she muttered before entering the cafeteria as well. 

she sat back into her chair and stared at the table for a while before yerin interrupted the silence, "what happened?"

"i guess i have a boyfriend now," jimin said. 

 

yerin's face lit up and she immediately hugged jimin, "congratulations!"

"well the thing is, i know i'm the one who confessed to him but i don't really want to date him," jimin looked away.

"what?" yerin nearly shouted.

 

"it's been over a year since i had a crush on him but it doesn't feel sincere. like maybe a hormonal love? plus having to deal with fangirls is too much work." she admitted.

yerin asked, "so are you just going to go break up with him? you're gonna be known as the hoe who dated bambam for five minutes."

jimin sighed, "nah, maybe i'll play with him for a bit, see where my true feelings lie and then i'll decide what to do."

"this morning you were so nervous to confess to him but now you're so casual after he's accepted your confession. i honestly don't understand you, jimin." yerin shook her head.

 

jimin shrugged her shoulders in response and spent the rest of lunch on her phone. 

the afternoon classes flew by and as jimin was packing up to leave school, bambam entered her classroom.

almost all of the female students gasped and glanced at one another, vying to know who he came to visit. 

he approached jimin and gave her own of his toothy grins.

she sighed and whispered, "did you really have to come now?"

 

jimin watched as her friendly relationships with her classmates deteriorated when they frowned at her.

half of her female classmates had already confessed to bambam and she knew for sure that they'd come to egg her locker in the morning like they did to every other girl who confessed to him.

once they realized she was dating him, jimin knew she was dead meat.

yes, those clingy fangirl groups did exist and were all too real.

it made sense though, because bambam, alongside his strangely attractive friends Jackson and Youngjae, basically reigned over the high school. 

 

jimin slapped bambam's arm and dragged him out of the classroom. 

"are you not aware of my position right now? if i'm dead tomorrow morning, it's your fault!"

bambam joked, "i love being verbally and physically abused by my girlfriend."

"you know what? nevermind. i'll just empty my locker now while i can."

 

jimin angrily walked away to her locker and began to put her textbooks into her backpack. 

bambam followed and said, "we're starting our relationship off on the wrong foot. come on!" and playfully started to pull her arm. 

suddenly, and thankfully, yerin appeared and said, "hey jimin, don't we have an important physics project due tomorrow?"

"why yes!" Jimin almost smirked, "sorry bambam but I have things to do."

 

she zipped up her backpack, grabbed yerin, and quickly pulled her in the opposite direction.

yerin turned around and watched as bambam's eyes glazed over and his bottom lip puckered as he began to pout. 

"bambam looks like he's about to cry," yerin noted. 

jimin ignored her and said, "you better help me clean up my locker tomorrow morning."

 

in the end, the group of girls did egg her locker and both jimin and yerin were late for class. 

for the rest of the week jimin avoided bambam nor did he try approaching her. 

 

jimin woke up on a bright saturday morning to the sound of someone repeatedly pressing her doorbell. 

"ugh, who is it?" she slowly stumbled to the door. 

when she opened it, her least favorite person stood there. 

 

"morning!" bambam exclaimed. 

"how did you know i lived here?" jimin immediately narrowed her eyes.

"i asked around," he thoughtlessly answered.

jimin grimaced, "you know you're pretty creepy even though you're popular,"

he nodded, "i get that a lot,"

 

"so what exactly are you doing here?" she tilted her head.

bambam proudly said, "taking you on a date, of course. i patiently waited during the week and planned our whole day."

"you should've asked me first. i could've had plans for today," jimin sighed.

bambam's smile widened, "so does that mean you want to go on a date with me?"

"of course not! at least let me change first," jimin shut the door. 

her cheeks were oddly burning as she ran to her closet. 

 

they spent the day frolicking at an amusement park.

they ate cotton candy and got lost.

they laughed together. 

 

while venturing around the stalls, jimin spotted a game that had a large plush moomin as a prize.

her eyes sparkled as she rushed up to the stall.

it was a simple balloons and dart game but jimin had pretty bad aim.

she handed the employee a dollar and picked up her three darts.

bambam watched as she miserably missed all of them and dejectedly turned away. 

 

he smiled and said, "if i get you that moomin, can i have a kiss as a prize?"

"that's so cliche, of course not," jimin rolled her eyes. 

he raised the stakes, "what if i get two moomins?"

she hesitated for a moment, glacing at the large and soft plushies, until bambam answered for her, "it's a deal!"

 

he gave the employee a dollar and took his three darts. 

he steadily aimed at a medium sized balloon and popped it.

bambam grinned while jimin lightly slapped herself. 

he threw another dart and just barely missed the balloon.

 

jimin crossed her fingers and closed her eyes. 

bambam threw the last dart and the balloon bursted open.

he asked for two moomins and happily marched over to jimin. 

 

jimin glared at him and slowly looked back and forth between the moomins and bambam's lips. 

"come on, can't you let your girlfriend off the hook?" jimin added a touch of aegyo to her voice.

bambam smugly said, "nope. a deal's a deal."

jimin sighed and looked around at the families and couples walking together before staring into bambam's eyes. 

she leaned in until their lips converged.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

some of you may recall this as the prologue to one of my stories tenderness,

but after deciding to discontinue it, i realized this was worked fine as a one-shot by itself. 

(i rarely write fluff this soft so you better enjoy it)