Chapter 8

Pinky Promise

Even though I was a bit busy of taking care of my project deadlines and had lessons with the ert DongWoon, I hadn't seen HyunSik sunbae for a long time. Usually he would have lunch with me almost every day, but recently, when I asked him was he available for lunch, he just said he was busy. It seems like he had many things to do. I knew he was the president of the committees and there were more events coming, so he may not be able to stay with me all the time. But there was still weird feelings surrounded me from my female's sixth sense, because at the beginning of the school year, he was also busy with the committee business, but he could still be my companion. Curiosity of what he was doing, insecurity of sunbae not being around me and maybe…. The disappointment from the thought of sunbae was tired of me…

Finally this day come! It was day 1 of our singing contest audition. Our club president briefed us with the whole rundown and gave us some suggested solutions with any foreseeable errors. This time I just needed to observe how other sunbaes work with the control panel since it was my first time to be in an event. I was so blessed that I could learn without the disturbance of Dongwoon. The audition was a closed event, there were only contestants and the judges, but all committees treat this as the real contest and prepared seriously. I read through the rundown and the requirement list from each group of contestants, a name catch my attention. 'No. 7: Im HyunSik (Food Safety), Jung IlHoon (Food Safety), Lee ChangSub (Chem Tech), Lee MinHyuk (Applied Bio) - Star (original song)'. I looked around the room, and noticed IlHoon sunbae and two sunbae were talking, so I guess they were ChangSub sunbae and MinHyuk sunbae. HyunSik sunbae was nowhere to be seen. "Oh there they are~" One of our muso mentors muttered when he saw what I was looking. "This team is really strong even though they are all from year 2. But where is their composer?" I shrugged, obviously he was referring to HyunSik sunbae. He was really strange lately. He said he was busy, but his committee member was here, what could possibly he was doing which could make him late for the audition? Combining everything, I only had one conclusion…

"Now it is contestant 6 Jung HaMi to perform Rolling in the Deep by Adele. Contestant no. 7 please get ready by the side of stage." The director announced. When IlHoon sunbae walked towards the side of stage, where the panel located, he waved to me with his smile.

"Omo our HeeYeonie is one of the helpers!" He exclaimed. I nodded shyly. "Please give us the best effect later when it is our turn."

"Sorry I am not the one to control~ By the way, where is HyunSik sunbae? If he cannot make it before you go on stage, we will only count the three of you to be the contestants."

"We know… That guy is a bit not in his condition… He skipped some meetings and it is very unusual…" So he is not busy with the committee work… Just then, the door of the room opened, HyunSik sunbae rushed in and kept apologizing to s. I could hear the sigh of relief from IlHoon sunbae. He was busy with tuning his guitar and not even notice my presence. Was he ignoring me? It was impossible not to see me right? Had I done something wrong to him so he treated me like this? After he finished, he seems to notice my existence. "Long time no see HeeYeon-ah~" He smiled. Before I could say something, they were called to go up. My mind just went into a mess. What could be the thing that bothering him and even made him late for this important audition? When they were on stage, they looked like professionals. MinHyuk sunbae and IlHoon sunbae were rappers and ChangSub sunbae and HyunSik sunbae were singers. The song, composed by HyunSik sunbae, was really good. It was a slow song and the lyrics was about telling the girl that he would try all his best to become a better man to catch up the standard of the girl who was like a star. A sweet smile was constantly showed on HyunSik sunbae's face. So it was obvious that he had a girl in his heart that he wanted to sing this song to her and made him late for all his appointment, right? That's the only conclusion I could make. But why did I care? I meant he was just my sunbae and if he had a girlfriend it was very normal right? But why did I feel a bit disappointed...

When they had finished their performance, everyone gave them a big applause. MinHyuk sunbae took the lead to come down from the stage. As a hoobae, I kept clapping as they were coming down to show me appreciation to their performance. I could feel HyunSik sunbae's gaze, seems like waiting for me to say something. "The song is really nice and sunbae are like professionals on the stage." I smiled but never looked at HyunSik sunbae.

"Thank you HeeYeon-ah" IlHoon sunbae just smiled like a babo. 

"I am glad that you like this song." HyunSik sunbae replied with his eye smile. It was not the matter if I liked it or not… I was not the one you wrote this song for. I excused myself to back to my work and tried to convince myself with my conclusion and not to bother sunbae anymore.

 

HYUNSIK POV

Why HeeYeonie acted like that? It seems like she hated me a lot… Indeed we hadn't seen each other for a few weeks, but her attitude to me was so cold. What could be the reason? Maybe I was too focus on her? But I was sure HeeYeon didn't know her, otherwise she would be in danger, because the one thing I knew about, she would do everything to  get the thing she wanted… which was me. So I was doing this for your sake HeeYeon-ah… please forgive me.

 

HEEYEON POV

There I go again. Another late panel training tutorial. That ert used an excuse that the final contest would be held next month to trap me at a room with him at this late hour, technically, 23:38. "This is not correct, you should plug this to this." DongWoon unplugged the wire that I just plugged in.

"But you said it is like this about a week ago." I objected, because I could remember clearly he did say it like this.

"Maybe that time I was not in my mind~ anyways this is the right one, remember it."

"Heol… Seriously, anything you taught me is correct?" I rolled my eyes and faced him with my arms crossed.

"Ummm… Maybe…. Nothing?" He smirked. No one could understand how much I wanted to snap his gorgeous face right now.

"How dare you waste my time like that huh? You forced me to be your mentee, fine. You flirt me whenever you are near me, fine. But why can't you just comply your duty as my mentor? Why do you treat me like that? What have I done to you so that you have to play me like this?" My tears were hanging on the frame of my eyes. I blurted out everything in the bottom of my heart at once, it was terribly comfortable. I stared at the expressionless DongWoon. He didn't say anything. There was a long dead silence between us. He closed and opened his mouth a few times but nothing came out. "Fine, I quit." I picked up my bag and walked to the closed doors of the common room.

'Click kok' was the only thing I heard after my speech. I rushed to the doors and it LOCKED! "What the hell?!" I shouted. "Hey! Anyone out there please open the door!! There are people inside!!" After few seconds, no response. I hit the door with all my force. "…"

"It seems like it was the security who locked the door. He always wears his earphones when he is patrolling around at night…" DongWoon speaker softly at his position, the same one 10 minutes ago. And that's the time the reality hit me. Being locked at the room was not a problem, but the biggest one was being locked with a ert. Who knows what would he do to me under this circumstance? … I just scolded him so harsh, he must kill me! I mentally cursing myself.

I felt he was walking near me. I fished my phone out from my bag, tried to call someone for help. But guess what? very weak signal could only be received in this room. I widened my eyes. WHAT KIND OF SITUATION HAVE I GOT MYSELF INTO? GOOD JOB YOO HEEYEON. When he was just a step behind me, I turned to face him. Right at that moment, all the lights were switched off. "AHHHH!" I screamed and squatted down. I was so afraid of darkness. I tried to act strong in front of that ert, but now I could only be vulnerable, the most vulnerable state.

"Luckily he didn't turn off the air conditioners, otherwise we would die from suffocation before we could see the sun rise." He voice changed into a more serious tone, not a scary one but a prudential one.

"So… So scary…" I mumbled under my breathe. Unfortunately, the room was so quiet, it was audible to him…

 

DONGWOON POV

So darkness was one of her weak points. I looked at the vulnerable HeeYeon after my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Squatting down and shaking were all her did. It did triggered my desire to protect her. I squatted down and hugged her. "DON'T TOUCH ME!!" She screamed. I knew she would do that since I had been so flirty and ert to her all these time.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you."

"HOW CAN I TRUST YOU?!" I raised my pinky to her.

"I promise." There seems to be a battle going on in her mind when she was looking at my hand, but hooked it at the end. I patted her head and she looked at me. The light from outside reflect in her eyes, made it shinny. So beautiful…

 

HEEYEON POV

He seems like a gentleman. He kept asking what did I need and gave me his leather jacket in case I felt cold during the night. Was this the real DongWoon or just acting? He was gathering the blankets and mattresses from the store room and I held the phone (aka torch) for him. "Got it~"

"How come there are stuff like that in student common room?" I looked at the mattresses and blankets which should not be belong to this room.

"Actually similar incidents have happened before, so some of the committee members put these in the store room in case someone need to stay here overnight." He explained.

"Ok… Wait- Stay overnight? OMO those committee members prepared so much, seolma…" I was crept out by the thought they prepared this and did something inappropriate on it.

"You should be the one to be a ert. We are not that kind of people. As I said similar incidents happened when they were having training like us, having band practice, or setting up for next day event. That's why they do this. Also, don't blurt out Korean from nowhere again, I won't understand."

"Because the Arab Prince only know Arabic?" I joked. He smacked my arm playfully. Hehe HeeYeon one point!

"Definitely you have stalked me to know my nickname. You ert girl." He smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"Who doesn't know you Son Nam-shin?"

"You didn't..."

"Ani... um.. I mean no, I know you."

"You don’t know the real me..." He mumbled. But once again we were in a real silence room, the only voices could be heard were our voices and that from air conditioner, I could clearly hear what he said.

"What do you mean the real you? Are you unreal? Omo! Are you really a God?" I facepalmed. Of course I knew he was not. If he was a God, he could do something to our situation. I just tried to alleviate the embarrassment between us.

"You are really imaginative HeeYeon-ah." He chuckled. "Nevermind, I will show you from now." I tilted my head, still not understand what he was talking about. We joked and talked for awhile. Sure it helped distracted me that we were in a dark. We lied on the mattresses, it was just fit for two person. DongWoon kept his hands down and avoid touch me, even accidentally. It was quite surprising that he kept his promise. Maybe he was a gentleman, and this was his real self that he mentioned? Suddenly, I hugged him.

"Wow wow wow, what's this for?" He was a bit amused.

"Well... Thank you and sorry sunbae..."

"Ain't you see me as a ert? And why sorry?"

"For treating you so badly and not respecting you?" He just smiled and patted my head.

"Fall asleep quickly, otherwise you will become a panda tomorrow." He joked and I smacked his arm real hard, gaining a whine from him.

"Good night sunbae." And I drifted to my dreamland in DongWoon's arms.