Chapter 1

Pinky Promise

You have a new message:

[Sent behalf of PolyU FSTSS] Hello PolyU Food Safety and Technology student, an orientation day would be held on August 17. Lecturer and programme leader would come and greet the students and we have prepared a lot of ice-breaking games. Hope to see you there! If you are interested to join, please contact Park ChoLong.

 

"Ah… It's time to meet new people again…" I tell myself. Indeed, I have promoted to university and it is PolyU, my first choice. But I am not too happy, it is not because I am not satisfied, but there are too much things for me to adapt again. New campus, new timetable, new classmates, everything makes me feel struggled. As a new student, in order to have a better understanding of the school, I have to attended tons of introductory seminars, which make me realized that university life is not as sweet as the others told. There are a lot of concern to care about and the workload is heavy. Maybe I am an inborn "Nervous master" that's why I have this thought and I hope I could adapt to it. Going back to meeting new friends, this is the part that I worried the most. My classmates in secondary school went to the other universities or study aboard. But I think I could handle it, just need to open myself…

-

"Hello! Welcome to the Pre-orientation camp* of FST! I am ChoLong, a committee member of FSTSS. Other people who wear pink t-shirt are our members. We hope you can meet many new friends here. Let's have fun!" After ChoLong sunbae finished her opening speech, sunbaes in our group start to lead the game. Frankly, after several games, I cannot really meet someone from my level, because there are people from each level mix together and no chance for us to introduce ourselves.

Until the committee members led us for a school tour, I decide to know the person next to me. There is a girl that was as shy as me so she might be a freshman. "Hi, I am Yoo HeeYeon, and your name is…?" I ask in a low voice.

"I am YuJin, Choi YuJin." The girl smiles.

"I am Chang SeungYeon." Another girl say, look like she is a hard-working student.

"You two are freshmen, right?" They nod.

"You too?"

"Yes, I really can't identify who is freshman and who is not."

"Me too!" We keep chitchat throughout the whole journey. They are the first two classmates that I meet. When we return to the room and have a break, I decide to talk to other people. "Hi I am Yoo HeeYeon, your name is…?"

"Hi, I am Jang YeeEun." She smiles.

"Although this is the first time we meet each other and it is a bit weird, you are really pretty." I smile too. She is really really pretty, so I praise her from the bottom of my heart, she definitely could be the goddess of our programme.

"Thank you." She replies sheepishly. After a while the game section continues, the non-stop game series make me feel tired in both physical and mental. All people separate into two big groups and battle with each other in games. I always feel someone is staring at me throughout the whole period, but I don’t care and don't want to find out.

 

When it is the break time, I go downstairs to the water fountain to add water. A committee member had also collected some water bottles to add water. "We have never been to the same group right?" He asks.

"No, because I don't know you." I smile.

"I am Im HyunSik, year 2 student and the president of committee." He smiles and shows his attractive eye smile. I can't look at him for too long because I would be blushing for sure. But somehow, the name HyunSik and his eye smile were a bit familiar to me.

"Oh you are the president, I am sorry I didn't know you before. I am Yoo HeeYeon."

"Never mind, it is not too late yet. Oh, will you join the orientation camp?"

"I am afraid that I will not…"

"Why? Is it because you are afraid of there might be some ual content?" I nod. "Don't worry~ Most of our members are girls, and they are responsible for planning games, so it will be ual free."

"But…"

"Don't worry~ I will take care of you, so no need to be worry." He smiles again.

"Okay… you must must must take care of me!" Actually I am not that convinced, especially when someone who could harm to persuade you. But his eye smile is too irresistible, I can't reject his request.

"Don't worry." When he smiles again, I feel a bit hot on my cheek, so I lower my head to cover it.

-

When we are back to the room, the game starts again. This time the game called "Catching worm", it is one of my weak games that required fast reaction. Simply saying, left hand has to make a circle and put your right index finger into the circle next to you. When the keyword appears in the story told by the MC, you have to take out your right hand and catch other by your left hand at the same time. When you are caught, you need to go into a inner circle, come out again when you caught someone. Before the game starts, the members require us to form a large circle and they freely insert in. HyunSik sunbae appears on my right. He circles my finger after he smiles at me. The heat on my cheek came up again, so I only look at the MC. "Well the keyword for this time is 'three'. The story begins! Once upon a time, there were THREE brother…." I know the MC speaks in a high speed intentionally, and I am caught as I am a slow person. I feel my finger is grabbed tightly. 'I'm done I need to go inside' is the only thought that come to me mind. But when I look at HyunSik sunbae's right, he is caught as well, so the both of us enter the inner circle. Luckily at the next round, I catch EunJi sunbae and escape. HyunSik sunbae still leave inside, I've never imagined he is a slow reacting person too hehe.

After the game, it's time to go home. Although the committee members invited us to the dinner, I didn’t tell my mum about that so I have to go home. YuJin and YeeEun were also heading home. "Where do you live?" I ask when we are waiting the elevator.

"I lived in Northern New Territories, so I am taking the subway." YuJin said.

"Me too, but later I will apply the hall." YeeEun said.

"So I guess I am the only one who live in Hong Kong Island and take bus…" I pouted and the elevator arrived. HyunSik sunbae and EunJi sunbae also entered.

"Did you have fun today?" EunJi sunbae ask us and we all nod. "That's great." We keep taking to EunJi sunbae and HyunSik sunbae walked by my side. When we reach the end of the bridge, I bid a farewell to them.

"See you on Friday~" HyunSik sunbae greeted me with his tender voice and mesmerizing eye smile. After I nodded, I walked to the bus stop. At that night, my brain was full the sunbae's eye smile. AH! I must be crazy! How could I miss him! Maybe I… Seol ma?! But he really looked familiar… Where did I see him… When I try to recall, I traveled to dreamland peacefully.

 

*Orientation camp is where all the freshmen and committee members would go to a camp for few days. A chance for freshmen to get to know each other and the seniors.