⚘ VI

Narcissus (Telepathetic II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Get some rest, Joshua.

‘Not you, too.’

I sighed. He was going back to LA today, something he really didn’t want to do, and all I could say was get some rest? What was wrong with me?

‘It’s fine. It’s a weird situation to be in, that’s for sure.’

“Alice, your friend is here,” Mom called.

“Which one?”

“You have more than one?” asked Sungkyung with a laugh as she entered my room. “And here I thought I was special.”

“Alice, why are you friends with such a bully?” asked Mom.

“I don’t know.”

“It’s because underneath all this thick skin she’s still a softie that can see goodness in everyone, Mrs Kwon,” Sungkyung answered. My mother laughed and closed my door.

Sungkyung had a large paper shopping bag with her. “Help me choose the costume for my performance.”

She pulled out three different white dresses. “Are you trying to channel a Princess Serenity, or is that just a coincidence I’m picking up out of nowhere?” I asked.

She winced. “Is it that obvious? Well I was going for a Princess Serenity. Do you think I shouldn’t?”

I shook my head. “No, go for it! Just know that I will be super disappointed if your clothes don’t turn into glowing pink cherry blossoms when you twirl.”

Sungkyung perked up. “That’s why…” She picked up the dress in the middle and changed into it, right in front of me. She twirled, revealing a plethora of pink tinted sequins sewn conspicuously in the pleats.

“Oh my God,” I breathed.

“Do you love it?” she asked.

I nodded. “Sungkyung, you look like a real princess.”

She waved dismissively. “You know I’m a real princess, Alice. Wait. Your name is Alice.”

I looked from side to side and then back at her. “Last time I checked, yeah.”

“And your little sister is Ariel.”

I nodded. “Yes. And?”

“Like Disney princesses!”

“Well technically Alice wasn’t a princess,” I argued. “But yeah. I was named Alice because apparently when I was born my eyes were, like, disproportionately big for my head, and my mom said I would constantly look around, quote unquote ‘in wonder’, so she named me Alice after Alice in Wonderland.”

“Please tell me your sister is named after the Little Mermaid.”

I sighed. “She was. As soon as she was born she grabbed onto the shiniest things she could find and would yank on them. When I first saw her at the hospital she tore my necklace off of my neck because it was so shiny. ‘Shiny’ was her first word.”

Sungkyung fell backwards onto my bed in glee. “My life is complete.”

“Because my mom has questionable baby naming skills and should probably have that privilege revoked?”

“Your mom can name literally all of my children.”

“I can’t wait until you are hopped up on a million drugs post-birth and you find out your first born was named Rumpelstiltskin.”

“Will Rumpelstiltskin be able to turn straw into gold?” Sungkyung asked.

“Wrong question, Kyung,” I said, shaking my head. “So, is that the dress you’re choosing then?”

“You haven’t even seen the other two.”

“Will you take this one off to show me?” I asked her.

“No,” she replied.

“I appreciate the honesty. I like this one.”

She got up and twirled one more time. Mom knocked on my door and opened it after I let her in.

“Love it, Sungkyung,” she said. She looked at me and said, “You have another friend at the door.”

“You actually have other friends?” Sungkyung asked, following me to the door.

I smirked, and opened the door. Behind it was Vernon, clearly been interrupted when he was trying to figure out a good waiting position. He was leaning against the wall, one foot crossed over the other. “Hello, ladies,” he greeted.

“You look stupid, stand up straight,” I said. I turned to Sungkyung. “Hey girl, this stalker’s yours.” She was staring at Vernon with her jaw hanging down. I pushed it up for her.

“You… You don’t have a purse, do you?” Vernon asked with a nervous laugh. He looked her over. “Is… Is that a wedding dress?”

“Yes. I’m getting married. In fact, I already got married. Wedding was this morning. Keep up. Bye.” In a very unpredictable move, Sungkyung slammed the door on Vernon’s face.

I stared at her in shock. “Okay, well, I would never have expected that. Why did you close the door on him?”

My friend paced in circles. “I don’t know, I panicked.” Her hands were shaking. “Now I’ve gotta get married to stick to the story. Who do I even marry on such short notice?”

I rolled my eyes. “No. You don’t have to get married just because you told some guy that you’re married. Relax. I don't get it. Isn’t this what you wanted?”

“I never expected it to actually happen! You don’t expect the Kool-Aid Man to burst through your wall, but it would be quite neat, wouldn’t it?”

I opened the door again. Vernon was still standing there, confused beyond doubt. He pointed a finger at Sungkyung angrily. “If you’re married, where’s the groom?”

“Don’t be so heteronormative,” she said, and I feared what she might say next. “I married Alice.” Point proven.

I took a deep breath. “None of that is true. Sungkyung and I aren’t married. She’s not married at all. Just exchange numbers and cross your fingers in hopes that your texting doesn’t go as roughly as this went.” I turned around and left them alone.

***

My parents picked me up at the airport in a flurry of hugs from my mother and awkward pats on the back from my father. “Welcome home,” says mother.

“Thanks, eomma.”

The car ride was not as silent as I’d wish it were. Mom kept asking me about how I had been doing in Korea. I repressed the urge to tell her that I couldn’t have been doing great if I was banished back here. She asked about the group and promotions as well.

“It’s been postponed. They’re waiting for me to get back.”

My dad, probably sensing that I really didn’t want to talk, distracted my mother for the rest of the ride home. I stared out the window and tuned out their conversation until I caught a name that really grabbed my attention.

“Are Jinhee and Jaeson joining their parents tonight for dinner at our place?” Dad asked Mom.

“I think so,” Mom answered.

“They’re coming over for dinner?” I asked.

“Yes. It was actually planned last month, it’s Jaeson’s father’s birthday.” Mom seemed pleased that I was back in the conversation. “When the news of your return was so sudden, and since you’re close with them anyway, I figured you wouldn’t mind. But if you are tired, you could just go to your room after you eat. That’s perfectly fine.”

‘I’ve been thinking about something…’ Alice said.

Should I be worried? I teased.

‘Remember what Wonwoo said that night..? That he felt like you were being taken over by someone else..?’

Yeah. What, do you think that’s true?

Alice felt flustered, as far as I could tell. ‘Well, it’s just that… As soon as he said that, I started to wonder if that would be possible between us. Like, if we could adopt each other’s personalities. And then soon after, you left the meeting by swearing and turning around and slamming a door. Not only is that something I would definitely do, it’s also something I know you wouldn’t do.’

I took a deep breath.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter