I Gotta Catch Her

Square One

Park Chaeyoung was an outdoor enthusiastic. When she was a kid, her older sister used to say that their mother fed her homeless dog’s paws, because she liked to walk around the streets so much that she could only be one of them. Chaeyoung used to laugh (lie, when she was little she used to cry because she believed in her) but it was true. She loved to be on the outside, she loved to feel the sun, the breeze, even the cold rain on her skin. It was in her spirit somehow. Although sometimes there wasn’t much to do on the outside, she felt happy just to be there, to not feel trapped.

She was like a little butterfly, her father said. That was definitely a better term than her sister’s.

Apart from that trait, Chaeyoung used to think she was an “artistic” person. She liked photography, going around everywhere with her camera around her neck, looking for places, lights and views to create a perfect canvas on her imagination. When she got home, she would put that image on a paper through drawings – placing some more magical creatures here and there – to finish her day, not letting absolutely anybody see what she actually did all day. Alice – again – nagged while saying “Why do you spend so much time and patience on that if you’re not going to show to the world?” But Chaeyoung just ignored, being that a usual tactic for her to spy on her things. The younger girl didn’t like people seeing it. Her drawings/pictures were too intimate; she would definitely feel by letting people see it.

While on weekdays Chaeyoung was occupied with studies, doing this and that to maintain her high grades (she liked to be on top, after all), on weekends she relaxed, having already a holy routine: On Saturday, she would wake up early to exercise while listening to calm songs, would go to the same old cafeteria and later on, on the afternoon, she would go to the usual park near her house that had beautiful trees – now, with beautiful flowers, thanks Spring – to do her thing. Sunday was almost the same thing on the morning, but she used the afternoon to watch a few films on the cute cinema-like backyard her father made for her, as a birthday gift.

On that Saturday, though, things were a little bit different. It started with Alice waking her up – her sister never woke up early – to drag her around like a doll to go to the mall, watch a film and buy stuff to give to her boyfriend on the party they were holding later on that night. Chaeyoung wasn’t really excited for that, but she went anyway. It wasn’t like she had a choice, when it comes to her sister’s desires. After they got home, Chaeyoung slept with the longing feeling of being alone surrounded by nature.

As if consequence of the day before, that Sunday also got to be different, this time because Chaeyoung actually wanted to be. She did her usual stuff but decided to go to the park on that afternoon, since her outdoors needs still had to be filled. She arrived at the park around 3:00 pm, the weather being nice and the place with more people than what she was used to.

She went directly to the tree she used to stay under, carrying her little bag that contained her drawing stuff, along with her camera already s around her neck. After that, she sat there for a long time, while listening to music and drawing a few photos she took on school.

Around 4:30 pm she stopped what she was doing to just lay there, watching the dogs and the kids playing on the grass nearby. The scene seemed to be fun – it made her miss her little dog – but it wasn’t “aesthetic” enough for her to bother doing something about it. The kid and the dog moved too fast, she thought. She watched them until at the exact same time Akdong Musician’s “Times and Fallen Leaves” started playing through her earpieces, that she saw something that definitely caught her attention.

A few steps to the left there was a girl wearing a red snapback, red flannel, black top, shorts and boots, with a backpack to complement. It could be just some random girl doing whatever but Chaeyoung had to stop her lazy thoughts to try and process more about that scene. The girl wore a frown on her face, while having a phone in her hands, walking around as if she was trying to take picture of something that was moving at every second while she was guided by a dog with a leash. The girl had a baby face but Chaeyoung felt that she wasn’t as young as her body seemed to be.

Her eyes observed her figure for a few minutes, while her mind tried to guess what the girl was doing, what she was looking for and what the hell was so interesting for her to be paying attention to a girl with a phone. She couldn’t guess it right. She could only smile then, seeing the brunette stopping the dog so she could concentrate in whatever she was up to, being there, static, in the middle of the way between the grass.

It took long – Chaeyoung thought the girl had some error in her system or something – but after a few minutes without moving, she finally started to show other reactions that wasn’t frustration, while she seemed to talk and celebrate all by herself. This made Chaeyoung smile again, without noticing it. The dog already seemed to be nervous, even more impatient while he tried to make his owner walk, taking her with him until she finally let go of her phone to look down at him.

Chaeyoung kept watching with a half-smile until she saw the dog starting to run, pulling the girl with more force through that track. For a moment, she wondered if the girl was anemic or if the little white dog had Pitbull genes, because she was being carried by him as if he was the boss right there.

Being the first option or not, Chaeyoung thanked him, since now the girl was closer to her – passing right in front of her – because of his doings.

- Stop Dalgom, we’re on a mission, did you forget? – The girl spoke to him in a reprehensive tone, one that wouldn’t work with anyone, and went back to staring at her phone.

As expected, the dog didn’t care and kept his pace. The brunette now walked calmly, without paying much attention to her surroundings. It was only when the girl walked by and now had her back to Chaeyoung, that she realized what she could be doing there.  

On her backpack, there was a figure of an open pokeball, with a Pikachu climbing up his way to the zipper of it. Her stare didn’t stop, even if the girl now was lots of steps away from her.

It was pretty significant.

- Pokemon Go. Huh – Chaeyoung smiled, almost certain of that theory of hers.

 

---

On the end of that Sunday, after such simple but weird scene, Chaeyoung watched a few films and tried to sleep early. That week would be full of homework and tests, so she wanted to give her best.

As days passed by, she found herself pretty busy with school things, making a few doodles here and there on her notebook when class was too boring. Usually, her drawings turned out meaningless – creatures that didn’t exists or humans in cartoon format – but on that Thursday, she surprised herself with a figure of a Pokemon, with a trainer by its side. She didn’t even like that anime very much. That made her question a bit, but she soon shook the thoughts of her head, not actually wanting to know why she drew that.

Weekend came again and this time, she broke her routine and it wasn’t her sister, the weather or whatever’s fault. She blamed her stress, perhaps, but Saturday afternoon was spent inside her house, catching up with a few TV shows. On Sunday, after a sudden thought of what she was going to do after a huge family lunch, she decided to follow her plans of the last weekend.

This time she arrived at the park earlier than expected, but there wasn’t really a motive for that. She sat on the same place and started to do the usual. The weather was less sunny, which meant less people than normal, so she was glad to think that later she could walk around to take a few pictures with more freedom. However – in a very weird way – as time went by, songs after songs, she lifted her head to look around with attention, as if she wasn’t really interested in finishing that drawing she had in hands.

When the clock ticked to 4:40pm, she finally realized that she wasn’t focused enough, since she was frequently stopping what she was doing to look around. What she was looking for, after all? Her spirit seemed to be uneasy, as if she wasn’t excited enough to just do that. So, she got up, breathed heavily, and tried to change that impatient sensation she felt while going around to take pictures, as she promised herself earlier.

She put her stuff inside her backpack and walked slowly, observing some birds flying over her, flowers falling because of the wind and things like that. She started taking pictures without much thought about the perfect angle, as her legs led her through the defined and already very known path.

It was pictures here and there until she again, had her attention turned to a figure that seemed to be familiar, a few steps from her, on the same position as she was before: laying down under a tree. At first she thought that it wasn’t the person she had in mind, but as soon as she saw the red cap on that person’s side – the latter being immersed on a book that covered half of their face – she was assured. She smiled – again, without thinking – and weirdly started to take a few pictures of that scene. She hoped she wasn’t being watched, since it could look creepy, but it wasn’t that wrong right? She was just appreciating the nature, right?  Yes, the nature.

Slowly her steps led her closer to the girl – now she just wanted to see her face better – but it seemed like something was already planned to interrupt her secret admiration. This time it wasn’t the dog but that damn phone. The girl jumped from her place, taking her phone with a surprised face to look at the screen. Chaeyoung stopped her track and watched until the girl got up like a lightning, taking her scattered things to put inside that same black backpack. Just then, Chaeyoung saw a bicycle laying on the other side, something that left her a little bit sad because that meant the girl would soon be gone.

Her smile faltered but this didn’t prevent her of starting to look at the pictures she took, right there, in the middle of the dirty path. It wouldn’t be a problem for people walking by, anyway.

Or that’s what she thought.

It took a few minutes to happen, but when it actually happened, it felt like seconds. On one moment Chaeyoung was going through her pictures, analyzing and identifying the ones she would keep or discard. On another, by instinct, she was lifting her head instants before she noticed someone coming on her way. A bicycle ridden by a girl – with her attention fully on a phone – was approaching way too fast for her liking.

This of course resulted in a disaster. Pain here, a bicycle there, two bodies on the ground. Bruises and a few grunts mixed together, with the now distant sound of a song coming from the earphones that left her ears. She was lucky she always left her phone on the intern pocket of her backpack.

- Aw~ - Chaeyoung grimaced in pain, feeling her left leg burn. Her attention went to the local that was hurting only to be diverted when she started to hear a few grousing’s coming from her side, making her realize what happened.

Just then, for a moment, she felt like she wasn’t in pain at all.

- Are you okay? – She asked the girl - yes, that girl – while she saw her lifting part of the bicycle from her body while her face showed a displeased and pained expression.

- Ah, I… - She looked up to look at the redhead girl’s eyes, being that the moment she realized what she caused. – I’m sorry! Oh my God, look what I done! – opened in surprise as her hand went up to cover it, leaving Chaeyoung to notice that the knuckles on the back of her hand had some blood on it.

- It’s okay…You’re bleedi- Chaeyoung tried to get up so she could help but the sudden big eyes of the girl made her stop.

- My phone! – The brunette got up faster than what Chaeyoung thought she would, just so she could see her phone that was a few centimeters from them. She hurried to go take it, leaving that time so Chaeyoung could get up by herself.

“Thanks for the help.” Chaeyoung thought, seeing her crouch to verify her beloved object.

- No, no…Argh! – The girl got up leaving it obvious that something happened to it.

It was only then that Chaeyoung remembered her camera, even letting out a relieved sigh when she saw that apparently nothing happened to it, since she fell on her back.

When she got closer to the girl, she saw what happened. The screen was broken, as if it hit the ground directly on it. No phone case and no carefulness can lead to that, she thought.

- Dammit… - The girl turned, now looking at the taller one with a disappointed expression.

Even if she knew she had no fault in that, when Chaeyoung saw that little pout on those heart shaped lips – which now she could notice, for being close -, she felt like she had to apologize.

- I’m sorry, I…I didn’t see you…Is it broken?

 The girl sighed heavily and nodded.

- It’s on but the touch screen doesn’t work anymore. – Her voice came out lowly. – Goddamit, I’m so dumb!

As seconds went by, Chaeyoung felt even more guilty, as if she had taken the girl’s phone and had thrown on the ground on purpose.

- Hey, I… I can pay, I don’t know, let me see. – She extended her hand and took the phone from the girl’s hand, not waiting for permission.

There, after hearing such thing, the girl with the red cap finally seemed to realize who’s fault really was, while her stare fell on the concentrated face of the redhead in front of her who wore a green t-shirt, white jeans shorts and converse.

- Nah, it’s ok. – The girl smiled a bit, trying to soften the pain she felt while looking at her phone like that. – If it’s broken, it’s broken. My mother is going to be thankful, at least.

Chaeyoung made eye contact, seeing her shrug at the last words.

- What do you mean?

- What? My mother being thankful? – Chaeyoung saw the girl stop looking on her eyes so she could take the phone back from her hand, smiling a little bit.

She looked even more beautiful like that.

- She is going to be thankful because now I may stay more at home. I can’t play anymore so… - Her stare went to the phone, with her fingers sliding fast on the broken screen just in case it would miraculously start working again.

Chaeyoung felt some pity, even more when she looked again to the girl’s bruised hand.

- Don’t do that.

- Do what?

- Slide your fingers on the screen. – The girl looked in her eyes again. – It’s cracked, rough. It will hurt you.

The brunette’s mini smile grew up a bit.

- I just ran over you and you worry about my bruises. Huh.

Chaeyoung saw her pass by her side to go to the bicycle, turning her body just to look at her without moving. She waited in silence, since the girl went back to her after she lifted the object.

- You’re bruised too. – She pointed with her lips to the side of Chaeyoung’s leg, which had some dirt along with a few red scratches. – I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t be riding a bicycle here, let alone doing it without paying attention.

The girl stopped in front of her, now seeming to be more calm – at least on the outside – for losing what seemed to be her “precious”.

- I’m ok…My father knows a good store that fix phones, we can take it there and-

- Don’t worry. – Finally, the girl smiled completely, showing her teeth.

Chaeyoung couldn’t stop looking at it.

- I have to go. I’m sorry. Again. – She started to walk by Chaeyoung, now besides her bicycle. Chaeyoung for a moment wanted to find some topic to talk to her, so she wouldn’t go.

She failed miserably.

To her luck, kind of, the girl was the one who looked above her shoulder, seeming to have something to say.

- If you’re here next Sunday I can treat you some ice cream, to apologize correctly.

She finished with a bigger smile. Chaeyoung stayed there like an idiot. The girl turned back and started to go away, leaving Chaeyoung even more confused as to what had just happened. It was in the moment that she saw the brunette almost going through the park’s gate, that she decided to do something. The girl with the orange-ish hair ran the fastest that she could to catch up to her, using her loud voice to call her before she arrived at the destiny.

- Hey! – She exclaimed, not caring about her bruises that seemed to ache a little with all those movements. – What’s your name?

The girl stopped and looked at her.

- Kim Jisoo.

Both stared at each other for a few instants. Chaeyoung just nodded slowly, again like a perfect idiot.

- Just Jisoo is ok.

And then, as Chaeyoung was still processing her next words, the girl gave her a last smile before she mounted on her bike – with her phone now guarded on the external pocket of her backpack – and started to pedal like crazy. She was indeed in a hurry.

- I didn’t even say my name. – Chaeyoung mocked herself, rolling her eyes as realization started to hit her.

She didn’t know why she liked a – weird – girl who was apparently addicted to Pokemon, possibly had a lisp and that had just run over her. But if there was something that she was certain, it was that she definitely would be there on that next Sunday.

After all, Jisoo now owned her an ice cream. 

 


Inspired by Jisoo's love for Pokemon. 

Author's Note: So this is it. You guys like it? I hope you do even if there wasn't much interaction between ChaeSoo. Thanks a lot for the upvotes and comments, I hope I won't disappoint!
See ya, next one is JenLisa! ^-^