The Prank Call

Just An Accident

The moon was shining bright.

The thought crossed his mind as he waited for an answer from the petite girl in front of him. The boy, dressed in a black suit with a streak of red around his collar leaned against the light pole, not wanting to rush the girl to make what could be the most terrible mistake she had ever had made.

He smirked as he remembered the reckless people who accepted the deal in a heartbeat only to suffer miserably which was an exceptional entertainment for him.

“Yes”, the girl answered simply. “ I will make the deal”.

He shook hands with the girl and she was about to leave when the boy leaned forward, his lips nearly brushing her ears.

“ Good luck and I will be looking forward to have your soul in my hands”, he stepped back and the girl squeaked in terror when a pair of pitch black eyes stared at her menacingly under the moonlight.

The girl bolted and the boy chuckled at her reaction before striding confidently into a pitch black alley.

The moon was shining bright tonight yet under the shadows, darkness reigned.

 

 

 

“Oh my freaking goodness!!!”, screeched a Lee Hara as she glared at a group of high school students who looked at her blankly.

“What?”, her friend, Na Mina asked. She adjusted the strap of her newly-bought handbag as they entered the cafe.

“ What are those sloppy juniors doing here? Also why are they are at our table?”.

“Yeah. I thought they don’t go to places like this. I mean this is a high standard place and they just ruin the atmosphere”, another girl with dark brown hair, Kim Nora scrunched her nose in disgust.

“ Yah, shoo, shoo!! Go sit somewhere else. We own this spot”, a girl, Go Rina strided towards the sitting group and made a shooing gesture.

The students silently packed their stuff, only because they did not want to waste time facing their snobby elite seniors.

One of the students looked like she wanted to snap at the airheads but her friends just pulled her away, muttering how it was not worth it.

The four teenage girls plumped down to their seats, conversing about their overseas trip and the new shopping store around the corner.

“Hey, Hara. I hear that you have a new boyfriend. What’s his name again? Something Ravi?”, Mina popped up the question, earning a loud gasp from others.

Hara flipped her hair. “ Kim Wonsik though people call him Ravi. We just get together and he’s handsome and everything. Most importantly, he’s loaded from all the songs he written but....”

“But what?”, Rina prompted as she slurped on her milkshake.

“He’s a dork. I mean he’s really nice like a gentleman but to me it’s annoying. I thought he is the bad guy type but ughhh, he likes to cuddle me like I’m a teddy bear”.

“ Still, you do not break up with him beacuse?”, questioned Nora, her eyes filled with curiosity.

“ He’s rich but a fool. My second favourite type of boys”, replied Hara with a smirk on her cherry pink lips.

“Guys I have an idea and it is a fun one”, Rina got her friends’ attention on her in a matter of seconds.

“How about we make a prank call, telling him that his beloved girlfriend get caught up in an accident and he is needed at the hospital because Hara is in a critical state? I think guys like him will cry when they hear stuff like that. Hmm??”, Rina raised her eyebrows, feeling proud of her suggestion when the others shouted their approval.

Several customers stared at them with annoyance and one tall waiter came to their table.

“I’m sorry but can you please lower down your voices? You are disturbing other customers”, his voice was soft yet firm.

“ I’m sorry but can you leave? Your ugly face is disturbing us”, Nora sarcastically mocked the waiter while flipping her hair  which caused him to return to the counter with his face red.

“ I think your idea is pure genius, Rina. Come on, Hara. Let’s call him”, Mina giggled with excitement.

Hara gave them Ravi’s number and soon they were waiting for Ravi to pick up.

“Hello”, a deep voice answered the call.

“Is this Kim Wonsik?”, Nora said with  a serious tone.

“Yes. Who is this?”

“I’m Hara’s friend and something...something happened. We are so..so...so shh..shocked. Hara....”

“ What happened to Hara?”, Ravi’s voice was layered with panic and concern.

“ There was an accident and Hara got injured real bad. There....there’s ...too...too much blood”.

“ Are you serious?”, the disbelief was thick in his voice.

“Yes..yes. Do you think I will lie about ...about mm..my friend?”, Nora sniffed.

“No. It’s not that. Oh no. No, no, no. Ok, urmm where is she now?!!! Tell me”, the emotional tone from the worried boy was as clear as day.

“ She ‘s on her way to the L hospital. I think...think ......you need to be....be there for her. Just... in...case”.

“ Ok, I will be there in five minutes. What about you? How’s....”, Mina ended the call and all four of them bursted into a fit of laughter.

“ Oh my god!! Do you hear his voice? I swear he is about to cry!!”, Rina cackled more.

“He’s so stupid!! He believe it so easily. You are right, Hara. He is a fool”, Nora said after trying to catch her breath from too much laughing.

“I wonder what his face look like when he reach the hospital to find you are not there”, Mina rubbed her aching sides.

“ If he gets mad at me at school, then we will just break up. Seriously, men are so stupid yet fun to play with”, Hara took a sip of her coffee, her grin never faded.

 

The next day. (Monday)

The teacher, Mr Park entered the class with a grim face.

“ Students, I’m sorry to tell you that one of your friends, Kim Wonsik was involved in an accident and is now in a coma. I hope you will find time to visit him”.

“What accident?”, someone asked.

“He was going somewhere and he was in a rush, his mother said. He was crossing the road when a speeding car crashed the red lights and rammed into him”.

The students gasped but Hara, Rina, Nora and Mina could only look at each other with surprise.

Hara drew a line on her lips, signalling her friends to keep quiet. They all gave a slight nod. Hara faced forward, the teacher was begining to teach about logarithms. With a shaky breath, she calmed herself down.

It was not their fault, right?