One in a Million

Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They are performing One in a Million when Mina suddenly feels choked up with emotions, eyes stinging with tears threatening to fall. She isn’t sure if it’s the song or the fact that she’s finally performing at their very own concert, but something makes her chest tighten and she has to look up at the ceiling of the concert hall to keep the tears in. She raises a hand to her face, pretending to wipe away sweat when she is really wiping away the tears that managed to escape. Tightening her hold on the microphone, she takes a deep breath before bursting into a grin for the fans.

Onces are waving their candybongs as they sing along and Mina’s vision is flooded with the warm colours of apricot and neon magenta. The coloured lights illuminate the concert hall and Mina is certain that her vision will be obscured with dark spots later due to the bright lights. But she thinks that being blinded by these lights are okay—she wants to fall into it. Every single lightstick shines brightly and Mina suddenly feels the gratitude rush through her because simply having a single person showering her with unconditional love is overwhelming, let alone thousands.

Nayeon is singing the chorus now and she has her hands up in the air, waving as much as she can. Her bunny teeth are revealed and she cannot hide the happiness—it shows in her voice. The sight of Nayeon like this—cheerful and bright—makes Mina smile even wider because even though Nayeon is smiling twenty-four seven, she also secretly cries herself to sleep when she reads hate comments. Mina knows all this because on some nights, Mina falls asleep to the sounds of Nayeon sniffing underneath her blanket. She doesn’t comfort Nayeon because it feels wrong to bring it up when Nayeon smiles at her the next day, with the sun in her eyes.

The oldest unnie has never looked happier, living in the moment and wishing for it to last. Nayeon might seem childish and loud, but it is her way of lifting the mood and Mina understands this. Nayeon over thinks more often than not and watching her like this, all open and bad thoughts shed away, Mina thinks that this is way overdue for Nayeon.

Jeongyeon passes by Mina, making her way over to Nayeon with a fan banner in her hand. She slings an arm over Nayeon and says something to her, Mina can’t tell what because of the distance. But it might have been something funny, because Nayeon laughs, nudging Jeongyeon a little before holding her hand. The two of them have been friends for a very long time and they have petty fights now and then, but they make up quickly because Jeongyeon talks it out and diffuses the tension.

This is why Mina admires Jeongyeon and praises her often in interviews. Jeongyeon understands people well and she treats everyone differently, tweaking her attitude to tailor to everyone’s needs. With Nayeon, Jeongyeon is loud and protective because she knows that Nayeon looks like a tough cookie but is actually a fluffy marshmallow. With Mina, Jeongyeon is quieter, softer, but she allows Mina to lean on her shoulder, allows Mina to cling on to her. Jeongyeon takes care of people in a way that people need. So when she sees Nayeon raising a hand to comb through Jeongyeon’s bangs with her fingers, she feels reassured and relieved that Jeongyeon is being taken care of too.

Mina almost misses her turn to sing due to all the thoughts running in her head, but she manages to sing her lines well. She makes eye contact with Momo just as she finishes her line, the latter raising her eyebrows in question, but smiling all the same. Mina shakes her head to assure Momo and the blonde girl laughs slightly, shoulders shaking a little before she turns back to the fans. The fellow Japanese has a special place in Mina’s heart because the girl seems to understand her best, being both Japanese and specializing in dance. Momo knows how bitter failure tastes like, which is why she was the first to put her arms around Mina when Mina messed up at ISAC in 2016. Momo never cried when she didn’t manage to clinch a victory at Hit The Stage but Mina remembers the girl who clung to her sleeve during ISAC, with swollen and red eyes, tears stains streaked across her cheeks.

Momo really dotes on her a lot, leaving water bottles by her bag when dance practice ends and dragging her out for jokbal when Mina feels low. Momo is so much more than how the public views her—she is not slow; she is sensitive and very thoughtful, so thoughtful that she forgets her surroundings. Anger rises in her at the thought of the false accusations and insults that have been hurled at Momo but then it all dies out when Momo makes eye contact with her again, the girl holding a bottle and gesturing to Mina to ask if she needs water. Mina just shakes her head, silently wishing that Momo would prioritise her own needs before others. She wants to protect Momo’s smile, maybe make it last a lifetime because the girl deserves it.

Her thoughts are interrupted by Sana, who bounces towards her, nearly tripping over herself in the process. Mina rushes towards her, hand outstretched to grab her elbow, steadying the girl. Sana yelps but manages to balance herself with Mina’s help. Giggling, she pulls Mina closer, pecking her cheek lightly.

“Thanks, Mina,” the girl says.

This is Sana—clumsy and cheeky. Very playful. When they are in the dorm and Mina’s in her room, the most distinct voice that she makes out is Sana’s. Sana’s voice is high-pitched and loud, Mina can probably detect it from a mile away. Even though Sana’s voice hurts her ears sometimes, she thinks that it is also a comforting constant which stays and settles right next to her heart.

Mina frowns slightly in disapproval, “You need to be careful.”

At this, Sana laughs, attracting the attention of a few members and some fans. She pulls Mina into a hug, squeezing the latter a bit too tightly but Mina doesn’t mind anyway because it’s Sana. When the girl pulls away, she laughs again.

“I don’t have to be when I’m with you,” she says, tilting her head and smiling fondly at Mina.

Her sentence has Mina desperately grasping at words to say because somehow, Mina feels the need to tell Sana how much she appreciates her and how much she wishes they could stay like this forever. Mina doesn’t find the words, but Sana knows, so the latter just wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter