Chapter 5

Humor Me

Chapter 5

JAYCE

    “Jayce, can you hear me?” Mr. Reese said to the girl who was still very obviously unconscious. Jimin was sitting next to her, awkwardly pulling the grass out from the ground next to him, while Hoseok kneeled on her other side, putting a protective hand on her shoulder.

    “Did she really melt the icicle?” Hoseok asked.

    No one had an answer, so they did what people normally did: ignorance and denial. Jungkook brushed over the question and called for Jimin to run for the nurse. Jimin looked up from the mutilated grass in his hands, cleaning them off on his jeans, before nodding and disappearing in a blur. Minhee, who was supporting Jayce’s neck, felt around the back of her head, before concentrating and sending a small jolt to the base of her skull.

    Jayce jumped up, knocking foreheads with Jungkook, who had been examining her for any signs of life. Minhee glared at the poor boy (the poor, in pain, boy) and pushed him away with a scowl, helping Jayce sit up. Yoongi pulled two globs of water out of the earth, completely killing two patches of grass, and molded them against Jungkook and Jayce’s foreheads. Jayce guessed that Jungkook had slightly cooled them -- temporary ice packs.

    Mr. Reese dismissed the class after the nurse cleared Jayce, saying it was from a mix of shock and fatigue. Jungkook, Yoongi, Namjoon, Jimin, and Hoseok were asked to stay behind with Jayce, who was still recovering, along with Minhee, who refused to be left out of anything.

    “Just wait here for a second, guys,” Mr. Reese said. “I’ve asked our resident mind reader to come on over. He should be here soon.”

    Jimin groaned. “Jin’s coming?”

xXxXxXx

JUNGKOOK

    “Wow. You truly are clueless, aren’t you?” Jin asked with an amused grin.

    Jayce made a face at him. “Thanks, oh-so-powerful mind reader. I didn’t know.” Jin smiled and ruffled her hair.

Jungkook walked over to Namjoon. “Hey, Namjoon.”

    “What, Jungkook.”

    “You saw that right?” At the boy’s perplexed look, Jungkook continued. “The melted puddle of water that used to be the icicle?”  Namjoon made a noncommittal noise.

    “It’s not like she did that,” he said in a ‘duh’ tone of voice. Jungkook didn’t respond. Namjoon’s eyes widened comically. “WHA---” Jungkook slapped a hand on his mouth, glancing frantically over at Jayce, who was shooting the pair an odd look. Namjoon shook Jungkook’s hand off of his face, and shot Jayce a quick, analytical look. “Is that why your powers have been going haywire lately? Do you think she knows?”

    Jungkook rolled his eyes. “You heard Jin; ‘you truly are clueless, aren’t you.’ He says she doesn’t know anything.”

    “You know, ‘she’ is right here, and I would really appreciate if you didn’t talk about me like I don’t exist,” Jayce cut in. Minhee, who had quickly grown quite annoyed at Jungkook for throwing an ice dagger at Jayce, jumped at the chance -- she wanted to punch Jungkook, but she couldn’t do it unless Jayce was upset about something or the girl would become upset.

    “Jeon Jungkook, you little pompous brat, why can’t you control your freaking ice powers for once you --” Hoseok quickly put a hand on her shoulder and pushed her back down to the ground for a sitting position. “Hoseok, how dare you?” Minhee asked, suddenly very tired.

    “Sorry, Minhee,” he said, “can’t let you maul my best friend.” Jungkook shot him a grateful smile. “Uh-uh, Jungkook. You’re still an idiot, but if anyone beats you up, I’m letting Namjoon do it.” Jungkook shuffled a little farther from his blue-haired friend.

    Jayce coughed quietly. “Mr. Reese, can I go back to my dorm now?”

    Mr. Reese sat crossed legged next to Jayce on the grass. “Regrettably, no. I’m afraid we have to speak with Gina, Jayce.”

xXxXxXx

 

JAYCE

    Gina was floored, to say the least. She leaned her elbows against her desk, pushing her hands into her hair. “James, this just got so much more complicated,” she said. Mr. Reese leaned back in his chair with his hands over his face.

    “I know, Gina,” he said, shooting a look at the occupant of the chair next to his, “I know.”

    Jayce was, to say the least, very confused. “What’s the problem?” she asked carefully.

    Gina looked at her critically. “Ms. Lancaster, do you know what your power is?”

    “...no,” Jayce said uncertainly. “Isn’t that what I came here for? To find out my power?”

    Mr. Reese sighed. “I think we found it. Remember when you didn’t get, well, killed with that icicle earlier?” Jayce nodded. “You melted it.”

    “And?” she retorted. “Anyone could have melted it. Obviously, I’m not the only one with powers here.”

    “Jayce, no one has the power of heat,” Gina interrupted, bringing her hands hard against the table. “You are the only one. That is why this is so freaking important.” (Okay, so maybe she didn’t say “freaking.”) The girl was at a loss of words.

    Mr. Reese gave Gina a light tap on her foot, telling her to back off of the girl a bit. “Jayce, do you know what Jungkook’s power is?” Jayce nodded. “As I expected; it’s pretty obvious. Now… do you know who Jungkook is?”

    “Someone who lives on my floor? He’s my age, and he’s friends with those boys who helped me earlier.”

    “Yes, that is true, but it’s more his power that is so unique. At Allegron, we are careful to never, ever allow those who have opposing powers to attend at the same time. It’s dangerous and can lead to conflict with student’s powers. However, you have fire, and he has ice. Jungkook’s family is very important to Allegron -- they not only started the school, but we have reason to believe that their gene pool was the start of powers. However, their family has been having some problems, lately, meaning they’ve been producing too much ice lately. It’s getting hard to melt all of it before it covers the earth. He thought that maybe, just maybe, there was someone messing with his powers.”

    “Maybe… I’m just special?” Jayce said desperately.

    Gina broke in, “Jungkook has been having problems with his powers since about a week ago--when we first acknowledged your existence. He’s a certified prodigy -- he wouldn’t be having problems otherwise.”

    “There’s a reason a haywire ice dagger went your way, Jayce. It probably would have killed you,” Mr. Reese said. “You’re dangerous, and his powers sense it, whether he himself knows it or not.”

xXxXxXx

JUNGKOOK

    “We’ll just have to make it freaking like her,” Jungkook spat out to Mr. Reese (maybe he didn’t say “freaking” either). “I can’t go around accidently firing icicles at people!”

    “With your attitude and your dangerous powers, no way am I letting you even get close to her, Jeon Jungkook,” Minhee said. “Come on, Jayce.” Said girl proceeded to be yanked to her feet and pushed towards the direction of the dorms.

    “No, Minhee, we have to fix this,” Jayce protested, pulling away from her friend only to stumble into Jungkook. Surprised, he grabbed her elbow to steady her. Both of them cried out in pain, and Jungkook dropped her arm, clutching his hand to his body. Jayce ripped away from his grasp. They started to glare at each other and the weather seemed to drop a couple degrees.

    “What did you do?” Jungkook snarled.

    “Me? I wasn’t the one who froze someone’s skin until their cells died!” Jayce said back, showing her blue-purple arm.” Jungkook felt his anger dissipate as he revealed his own hand, suffering from a second degree burn.

    “Why do I have a burn, but your arm is so cold it’s blue?”

    No one had an answer.

xXxXxXx

JUNGKOOK

    Jungkook felt like punching a wall. He was supposed to fix things! This girl, Jayce, was causing problems. Even if she didn’t mean to. But no, he was locked in his dorm and forbidden to see her. Damn it, Faide. Allegron couldn't just expel one of them, either. Powers. Powers, for goodness’ sake! They couldn’t just release one of them into the normal world! Jungkook needed to get to her (and you know, fix things).

    He walked to his one bathroom door. Being at the end of the hall meant that he didn’t have two (thank every supernatural force in the world he didn’t have to deal with switching doors). He walked into his bathroom and tried the doorknob. The door was locked. He banged on the door. “Haneul!” He yelled.

    Her door swung open. “Gosh, Jungkook. I was changing. What do you want?”

    “Can I come in?”

    “Jungkook!” she said, scandalized. “It’s nine! You know you can’t be in my room!”

    “Calm down -- Faide won’t let me deal with this problem I have and I need to get to Yoongi’s room. Faide asked Ms. Lee to freeze tar around the door of my dorm. Tar.

    “...Fine,” Haneul said reluctantly, letting him into her room. “Make sure no one sees you, Jungkook. I don’t want to get in trouble,” she said, wagging her finger.

    “Yeah yeah, okay.” Jungkook crept to her door and opened it softly, stepping quickly into the hall. Faide was nowhere to be seen. He slowly lifted his right foot and lunged away from the door (the less steps the better, right?). And so, he lunged past (yes, he felt as ridiculous as you readers feel) the next two doors, taking care to not let Minhee hear a thing. Now, he was at Jayce’s door. He only needed to get in, but alas, her door was also shut closed with tar. Yoongi, or Changjoo. Which side was her bathroom connected with today? He passed Jayce’s room and knocked softly on Changjoo's.

    “What,” the boy said, opening the door a smidge. “You aren’t supposed to be up, Jeon.”

    “I know, Kim,” Jungkook said, rolling his eyes. “Is your bathroom on Jayce’s side, tonight?”

    Changjoo gave Jungkook his best “leave me alone or I might just make the floor beneath your feet fall through” look and shut the door.

    Jungkook sighed (he was incredibly done with his life already) and walked over to Yoongi’s door. Might as well take his chances. “Yoongi!!” He said urgently, knocking on the door frantically.

    What do you want, Jungkook? I wanted to sleep.” Jungkook barged in, relieved that Faide hadn’t caught him.

    “Are you connected with Jayce right now or are you not,” he said bluntly.

“I am, for your information. You’re not getting in there, though. They blocked off my connecting door as well. With wood beams, though. I think they got tired of the tar --it being carcinogenic and all that.” Jungkook felt his hope rise.

“Yoongi,” he started, “how great of a friend are you?”

“...Oh no.”


 

 


 

AN:

Hey guys! How do you like this chapter? I hope you guys enjoyed!  Here’s a rundown of the powers so far:

Jungkook -- ice

Yoongi -- water

Jimin -- speed

Jin -- Telepathy

Namjoon -- earth

Hoseok -- energy

Taehyung -- TBA ;)

 

I open up aff once in awhile even if I’m not posting (as you can probably see by how fast I reply to things sometimes), and I noticed that I now have 93 subscribers total. I am so incredibly grateful. Much love <3


--aperfectworld