Chapter 1

Humor Me

Disclaimer: Please do not call/look for/go to any numbers, addresses, locations mentioned in the story. All are straight from my imagination. Also, please look in the AN at the bottom for the Update information.

Chapter 1

 

    A blurry world greeted Jayce as she opened her eyes. Damn it. It’s morning, she thought to herself. Her left hand reached out to slam down on the snooze button of the alarm clock (or just smash it into pieces -- either would suffice).

    “Damn it!” she cried, as her palm exploded in pain. She glanced -- no, let’s be real. She glared-- at the vile machine only to see a jagged, ugly (which her father called “artistic” when he gave it to her), paperweight sitting on top of the button. Rolling back over onto her right side, she pulled the blanket over her face and let the alarm clock continue to ring. Honestly, she knew she would have regretted putting it there. The night before, at around three AM, she had put the paperweight on my alarm clock so she would have to wake up the next morning. She really knew herself too well.

    Oh, I haven’t introduced her, have I? May I present Jayce, a seventeen year old girl who spends all her time inside on her computer and scrolling through tumblr. Needless to say, she is currently dreading the first day of school.

 

xXxXxXx

She purposely drags her feet, enjoying the sorrowful flop of them as she trudges down the stairs.

Her mom deadpans tosses her a deadpan expression, and she freezes, pasting on an innocent smile. In response, Jayce’s mother rolls her eyes and motions to the seat next to her son, Kiene, who draped himself over his chair, his arm thrown over his eyes. For an eighteen year old, he really had a flair for drama.

    “Kiene, do you really have to put your foot on my seat?” Jayce asks him. He peeks out at her under his arm and removes his foot slowly.

    “Anything for you, Princess Jayce.”

    “Thanks, royal subject.”

    “Royal subject?” he asks, now sitting up straight and affronted. “I’m a prince!”

    “More like a plebeian,” she snorts. Of course, she understood why he was in a terrible mood-- school was starting tomorrow and not only was Jayced being forced to go, but Kiene was being forced to drive her. Today was both of their last days of freedom.

    “MOM?” Kiene yelled.

    “WHAT, KIENE,” she yelled back.

    “DO I HAVE ANY MAIL?”

xXxXxXx

    Kiene stared at his little sister, his jaw wide open as their mother smiles proudly at her. “Jayce, how the hell did you get in?” he asked.

    She shrugged. “I don’t know,” she said. In her hands was a white letter, looking all for the world like a freaking bank statement, but when opened, it was from the academy. Which academy? Oh, just Allegron. If you don’t have any idea what Allegron Academy is, let me just give you the rundown.

You couldn’t walk down the street without meeting someone with the big dream to go to Allegron. You just… couldn’t. Allegron was what the people couldn’t have; an academy for elite (see: rich people). Did anyone know anything about it? No. Did anyone know someone who even went to Allegron? No. But, since it was for the rich people, of course everyone would want to go. So why did Jayce have an acceptance letter?

Don’t be mistaken -- they were not poor. In fact, they were doing pretty well; Jayce’s dad was in the US working on some high tech device that I, the narrator, can’t even comprehend, so they were not poor at all. But that didn’t mean that they were considered “elite.”

“Well, open it,” Kiene said expectantly, waving his hands crazily about the letter. Jayce looked at the faux bank statement envelope on the table to the red Allegron insignia in her hands. Why not? she thought. Placing the letter on the table (for her mother and brother who were staring over her shoulders) next to the two small boxes it came with, she started to read.

    Dear Jayce Lancaster,

We are pleased to inform you that we have considered your profile for an open spot in Allegron Academy. We are aware that you and your family are most likely not informed on our acceptance policy. For privacy purposes, we can not reveal over the postal service why you were chosen, even with the secrecy of the false envelope that I’m sure you all noticed. Thank you for your understanding.

If you decide to attend Allegron Academy, please open the red box. If else, please open the blue box. However, I’m sure you will open both based on sheer curiosity. If you use the red box, please do not touch what is in the blue box. Note that if you open the red box, a message will immediately be sent to the Academy of your enrollment and an explanation sent to the school you are currently planning to attend. You will receive multiple letters with new information periodically (all will be hidden in another envelope for privacy purposes). Do not open the red box if you do not wish to go to Allegron.

If you are interested, your meeting with the dean of the Academy is on August 20th, 2015. Since we can not disclose our location, you will be picked up by a black Mercedes with the license plate 6YHI57. Please bring the blue box with you.

 

Sincerely,

Gina Lee

Academic Dean of Allegron Academy

        Contact information: N/A

xXxXxXx

    They sat in silence for a while. Her mom and brother stared at her. She stared at the boxes. Truth be told, Allegron had always sounded like a joke. A school for prissy rich kids that were so rich they didn’t even socialize with the non-rich people.

    “Jayce,” her mom prompted, “You pick.”

    Now, there were pros and cons to going to Allegron. For a positive, Jayce’s mother had always wanted her to go, and Jayce was very aware of that (it was hard not to be). For a negative… well, Jayce would be forever associated with the prissy rich kids who were so rich they didn’t even socialize with non-rich people.

    “I’m going, but I’m opening the blue box first,” she announced boldly. She flipped open the top of the little blue box (which honestly looked like an engagement ring box) to see a little piece of… candy? “That was anticlimactic,” she said dryly, reaching out a hand to pick it up and smell it.

    “Jayce!” her mom yelped startled, slapping my hand harshly. “Don’t touch it unless you’ve decided!”

    “Ow~” she exclaimed, quickly pulling her hand close to her chest. “I was just trying to see what it was!”

    She extended her hand back out and slowly grasped the red box, watching her mom out of the corner of her eye (no way was she going to be hit again).

    “Be careful with what you choose, sis. I bet it’s just a snobby rich kid school,” Kiene warned her.

    She picked it up, her hands shaking. “Well, with me there, it’ll be a snobby normal kid school,” she said. The box frightened her a little bit -- to be honest, it frightened everyone. Not only whatever horror was actually in the box, but also the fact that once she opened it, she couldn’t back out anymore. But... you didn’t pass up Allegron Academy. She opened it.

There was a small thumbprint device implanted inside. “I’m guessing I stick my finger in?” she asked incredulously, turning to face her mom. She nodded. Jayce jammed her thumb on the little thumbpad and wait for it to explode or for her hand to start glowing or something. “Damn,” she said quietly as she flinched, quickly taking her finger off of the little device.

    “What? What happened?” her mom asked, worriedly grabbing onto her shoulder.

    “It pricked her,” Kiene said, as he watched the small drop of blood surface on the tip of Jayce’s thumb. The fingerprint turned green and the box closed by itself.

    “Mom, what day is it?” she asked quietly.

    “August 14th, dear.”

    “So six days until Allegron Academy. Great,” she replied. What did I get myself into?

xXxXxXx

    Later that night:

    Kiene knocked softly on her door. “What?” Jayce whispered in the darkness, sitting up haphazardly. He closed the door behind him and sat down at her desk.

    “Why did you get into Allegron and not me?” he asked.

    “How do you expect me to know?” she responded, running a hand through her hair, mindlessly untangling the knots (it was a bad habit of hers when she was nervous). “I didn’t ask for it, Kiene, and to be honest I think life would be easier if I just denied it.”

    “Then… why didn’t you?”
    “You know how much Mom wants one of us to go to it. There has to be a reason, right?” she said tiredly.

    “Yeah, I guess.”

    “You shouldn’t be jealous, you know.”

    “Jayce, how can I not be jealous? You’re going to the school for the elite people. And we aren’t even considered elite,” he said dejectedly.

    She didn’t have an answer for a while. “Why do you even want to go to Allegron?” Jayce finally asked.

    “Well… everyone wants to go to Allegron,” he said. “There has to be a reason...right?”

 


 

AN: HI EVERYONE WHO CAME FROM “When Did We Meet?” (btw I might change the title to “The Way We Were”!!!

    Okay. So. How was the first chapter? I have to say that I'm proud of it!!!!! I’m kind of nervous for this story. The reason I made the first story based off a song was because it helped me spawn ideas and stuff (yes, spawn), but now I kind of just have free reign and I’m worried about how this will turn out.

    Yeah… school started so I’m writing this in the early morning and I’m super sorry I think updates will be a bit inconsistent (maybe every… 1-2, probably) because I have a lot of work and tests and such :(  I will try my best, guys, so keep faith.

 

    BUT did you like it, though? Please comment and subscribe!!!!!!

 

--aperfectworld


UPDATE: Hey everyone! So I changed the POV and this is the “new” first chapter. I actually didn’t change much other than the verbs and stuff. :)