Chapter 1~

May i'm different but i may be your love

«We gather here today to talk about the problem that our small town face and as the mayor I can’t let my citizens live like this.  Many of us are poor right now and many others going to be soon as our town is far away from other bigger towns and it’s hard to exchange the basics. I decide to build a train station and a railway that will let our town to join the other towns, I believe that it will be helpful for us since we need to communicate with other towns not only to help the economics and collaborate with but also we’re going to have some services that are unable here, such as more doctors. We already know how hard it already is for our doctor to take care of us all so it will be helpful for him and for us also. I know that you’re going to ask me where we’re going to find that much money to build the train station and make a railway, let me tell you that I already have think about it. I’m going to send five men to search for adopted mines and I have already talked to them and they have accepted the mission. Those men are people we deeply trust and know them well, they are loyal people and I believe that they can make it. The men I choose is Bang Yongguk a man who has so many ideas and love for this town and its citizens, Moon Jongup who is really hard working man as we all know, I’ll also send John and Nick who volunteer to help. The leader of the mission is going to be our serif Kim Himchan, he is the right man to lead this group, we all know that his father was brave and man of justice just like what his son is. I wait from all of you to not cause any trouble while he is gone. Mr. Kim any word? » The mayor beside me gave me the permission to talk after he finished his speech «Dear citizens, our mayor have already spoken for me. I trust you to not cause any trouble, I try to help our town, please don’t make it difficult for me. I believe that you want the best of our town and you’ll listen to mayor’s offer.  But if someone choose his ego better than his town then he is going to spend long time in jail when I come back» I knew that it was not good at all to speak like that to our citizens but you can never know what’s going on in the people’s minds, a warning sometimes help.  “The mission will start tomorrow at dawn. Wish luck at the five brave men» the mayor said the crowed applause for us, I really hope that mission will help, I don’t want my people suffer from poverty anymore.

«You better take some rest Thunder, we start our mission early tomorrow man» I said at my horse like he could understand feeding him one more apple and the caressing his black mane, «Is that true hyung? You’re leaving tomorrow for a mission? When you’re going to come back?” I heard my little brother say and I quickly took my eyes from horse to find my brother some meters away from me looking at me with saddens written on his face «Does mother know that you’re out here? » I asked and he just shake his head, he is always like this, getting out without mother notice him. «How many times I have told you to not do that again? You know how much she worries when you suddenly disappear» I told him getting a pouting face back from him «But I wanted to spend time with you hyung, do you remember? You told me that today you’re going to spend time with me but you’re here talking at father’s horse» he remind me the promise I made but I totally forgot about,
 «I’m sorry Junhong, I’m tired, I had a really busy day and I have to wake up early tomorrow to get ready and leave but I promise-»
«Father used to spent time with me even if he had a busy day» he looked down, it has been one years since father’s death and things are still hard for the family, for mother who has raise two young children, for my little brother and sister who loved father a lot but for me too, even so, I try to stay strong for my family. «Yeah…he did, didn’t he? » I smiled at the beautiful memories and I walked towards him getting him in my arms «So I will do the same when I’ll come back and from now on, this time I mean it but you have to promise me something» I told him and I saw a smile grow on my younger brother’s face «What it is? » he asked curious «Listen, you’re a grown up man now, right? I need you to watch out for me while I’m gone, I want you to report me everything that will happen in the village but please don’t get in trouble, ok? » I ordered him «You mean that I’m going to be the serif at your position until you come back? » he asked exciting making me let out chuckle; he is really cute when he gets exciting. «Yes, but if you see something happen don’t get in. You may get hurt and if you get hurt how we suppose to spend time together when I’ll come back? » my brother quickly nodded his head «You’re right hyung. I will stay out of trouble and when you will comeback I’ll tell you what have happen» he agreed at my order smiling, «That’s my Junhong» I messed his hair and he pouted like always when I do that «I think you said that I’m grown up man, stop doing that»  he tried to play the serious but it only made me laugh «No matter how old you will get you will always be my little brother so I’m not planning to stop doing that», I know my answer  may looked like it annoyed him but I saw his lips form a smile. «Hyung, what if in your mission an Indian will kill you? » the question come out  from nowhere that’s why I didn’t knew what to answer at first but I quickly found the answer «Listen Junhong, I don’t think that Indians are that bad like most people say. I believe there are bad and good Indians just like people, they are people too after all. They’re just different» I told him, «If the mayor hears you he will defiantly going to cut of your head» my friend said entering the stable «He can do whatever he wants but I’m not changing my opinion so do you Yongguk» I looked at him but my answer made him sigh and look at me serious, I got the message, he wanted to talk with me.  So after I told my brother to go back home I stayed at the stable with my best friend, «So, what do you want? » I asked him caressing my horse «Is something wrong? » I looked at him, «Well…you could say. I’m just nervous for the mission. What if we don’t make it? What will happen to our town?  I can’t help but feel responsible you know» he said coming closer to me, hyung was always like that, worrying about the others even if he didn’t have any relationship with them, even if the was not related, even if he didn’t knew them. «Yes I know. The mission didn’t even start don’t get nervous, all right? We can never know what will happen if we don’t try. I’m sure we’re going to make it, don’t worry. I promised at our mayor that we are not to come back if we don’t find a mine first and I mean it.  I worry about our people just like you Yongguk but being nervous doesn’t help at all» I explained my thoughts «Everything is going to be alright, I feel it. Trust me» I turn around to face him giving him a smile to help him calm down, a smile always help in situations like this and yes it really did when I saw my friend smile back at me giving me a nod «Right now I can’t do nothing more but trust you» he said, «Not really, you can go sleep.  We have to wake up early, remember? Go rest young man» I nagged him like a mother only to make him laugh.

«You’re leaving tomorrow? » my mother asked while she served the food at the table with the help of my little sister «Yes, at the dawn» I answered getting off my hat «And when you’re coming back? » she asked placing the last plate with food on the table «When I will find a mine with enough cold to help the town» I answered but she didn’t seem to like my answerer, she looked worried at me, she is always like this when I have to do something dangerous, she is like this after father died and I took his position as the serif of the town, I can’t blame her, she is worried that she is going to lose her family just like what happened with father, she really loved him and she loves us too. «I’ll try to make it back the fastest possible » I promised her but I knew that a promise couldn’t help her calm down, «Trust him mommy, Himchan never lies. He is good big brother» my little sister said to mother, those innocent words made everyone around the table smile, even mother who was worried right now,  «I know sweetheart, Himchan is good son and he never lies».
    
After we finished diner and did the dishes to let my mother rest I went at my room to finally catch some sleep. When I was about to my shirt to change a heard a soft knock from my room’s door, after I told them to come in I saw my mother coming inside «I’m sorry son, I know that you need to sleep…If you want I can leave» she said by I shake my head «No, It’s alright mother. Why aren’t you sleeping? You’re tired. Is something bothers you? » I asked worried even if I already knew the answer but she didn’t answer at first and she only walked towards my bed where she found a place to sat, then some minutes passed before she decided to talk «I don’t want you to go at that mission. It’s dangerous. You know that you’re not the only one who is searching for gold, right? Thefts are out there and they’re dangerous Himchan, they will not go easy on you. The will not hesitate to kill you» she said and her voiced sound broken, I knew that she was ready to cry but she hold back because she didn’t want to worry me, I couldn’t see my mother like this. «Mother please don’t be like that, it hurts» I sat next to her looking at her right in to the eyes «I’m not planning to get killed by a stupid theft, I’m not planning to leave you alone to handle all this by yourself. But also I can’t let down our people, I made a promise, I do this for our family and for everyone.  I remember how hard father worked to help these people and keep them safe and that’s how he become my role model, after he died it was hard to be the new serif, all expect from me to be like father.  I want to be a good serif. I have the same spirit like father had so I’m not going back. I’ll do the mission and I’ll come back safe» I told her even if I knew that would made her sad but that was the truth, «You really have grown up, don’t you? You’re just like your father, including that you’re stubborn. But I’m proud of you and your father would be too. I’m afraid that your words can’t help me calm. A parent will always worry about her children.  You’ll understand when you will marry a good girl and have children. Please be careful and come back safe like you said» she said hugging me tight «I will mother, don’t worry» I promised hugging her back. «But you have to admit, I’m not the only one who has grown up, Junhong and Kaitlin have grown up too.  Did you hear what she said at the diner? She is gentle and sweet like you and also smart. Junhong has a soft personality but he got a spirit like father too. You did really good job with father to raise us» I told he trying to get her worries out of her mind even for a little, that made her smile, she knew what she is trying «It was hard but when I see the results I can’t be nothing more but happy and proud. When you were born your father and I was still young and I was scared, I didn’t know what to do but in the end we make it and I’m happy for that» her smile never left while she was talking «You should be, I was weird kid after all. Thank you for everything you did for me, I’m not going to let you ever down. I’m going to make you proud» I make again the promise kissing her forehead «You better go sleep mother, tomorrow it’s a big day» I said letting her go «You’re right, you need rest too. Goodnight Himchan» she told me caressing my hair and then standing up «Goodnight mother» we said goodnight and then she left my room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I never left the town for so long, what waits out there for me?