Chapter 5

Dead Body

Minho told Yuri everything about him. About the first time he met his ex-girlfriend, how he fell in love with her, how his ex-girlfirend left Minho. And Yuri can’t believe that there was a girl who is really selfish like Mnho’s ex-girlfriend. But there’s one thing that was still bothering Yuri.

“Minho, can I ask you one question?” asked Yuri.

“Sure, anything.” Minho said to Yuri.

“Do you still have feeling for her? I mean, to your ex-girlfriend.” Asked Yuri, carefully.

“Well, I only talk about this to one person, and it’s you, Yuri. And yes, I’d be lying if I say I have no feeling for her. But I’m over her now. I just curious why she did that, maybe. I don’t know. But I’m telling you, Yuri. My feeling for you is real. I wasn’t lying when I said I like you. So, what I’m telling you is…”

“Yes, Minho. I got it. I’ll wait until you really over her. For now, let’s just enjoy our moment together. With no ‘ex’ in it. And I’d be lying if I’m not sad about it. But, I’ll wait. You know how strong I am right?” Yuri said although deep inside, her heart is really hurt. But Yuri is too in love with Minho to let him go. And Minho saw the sadness in Yuri’s eyes.

“I’m sorry, Yuri. I really am.” Minho said while holding Yuri’s hands.

“It’s okay Minho. I got it. Let’s just go home. I’m really tired right now.” Said Yuri while giving Minho her smile.

“Okay then. Let me take you home.” Minho said while taking his car key.

“No need. I drove my own car. I can go by myself.” Said Yuri.

“Okay. Just…be careful.” Said Minho.

 

Yuri’s POV

It’s already two days since the day Minho told me everything. But I still can’t forget about it. It hurts actually. But what am I supposed to do? And now I should go to work, and face him with this kind of situation. It would be really awkward, right? Should I just tell them that I can’t go to work because I’m sick? No, Kwon Yuri. You are a professional.

 

Yuri’s POV

At the lab…

“ Hi Yuri!!!” Taemin oppa said while waving at me excitedly.

I waved at him back, then I saw Minho oppa, staring at me. Okay. This is awkward.

“So, what’s the case?” I asked to them with my usual tone, to avoid any question about us.

“A body was dumped in the dumpster and was being consumed by a bob cat.” Said Jonghyun oppa while looking at the bones.

“Well, um… any clue about time of death?” I asked while looking at him. And yes, I tried to not having conversation with Minho.

“24 hours ago. And since, it takes awhile until the victim’s identity determined, can we talk please Yuri?” said Minho oppa whle looking at me. Urgh. Maybe I should’ve just said to them that I’m sick.

“Okay.” I said cooly, pretending that I’m okay.

(At Minho’s office….)

“Why are you avoiding me Yuri? If there’s something wrong, talk to me. But don’t avoid me like this. It’s frustrating not knowing what you’re thinking. Is it about the conversation 2 days ago?” Asked Minho oppa.

“What? No. No. Ofcourse not.” I said, still avoiding his eyes. I don’t want to look at his eyes because the moment I met eyes with hims, I’m sure I’ll cry.

“You’re lying, Yuri. I can see it.” Said Minho oppa.

“Look. I just need a little time to…you know, forget about it. Just, give me some time.” I said to Minho oppa while leaving him behind.

I need to get out from here. I need to focus to the case. Maybe I should start questioning about Bob Johansson.

“Soohyuk-ah, meet me at the interrogation room. I need you to accompany me for questioning Bob Johansson’s wife.” I said while talking with Lee Soohyuk, my partner in FBI, on phone.

I’m on my way.”

 

 

“I’m sorry to asked you to come again. There are some questions I forgot to ask.” I said to Bob’s wife.

“What is it? Isn’t it enough that you took my husband’s life away from me?!” said Bob’s wife while crying.

“What? No. for your information, it’s not me who killed your husband. I’m here because we’re trying to catch the killer.” I said while holding my anger. I don’t know why I’m angry. With the conversation I had with Minho oppa, I kind of…angry, upset. And here’s the result. I can’t focus to do my job.

“Yuri-ah, if you can’t focus right now, let me do the questioning.” Said Soohyuk to me.

“No, I’m okay.” I said to him. “Did your husband had any suspicious person following him around  to 2 weeks ago?” I asked, trying to calm down.

“No. there wasn’t any person that followed him at that time. But he said that there was a person named Phillips Anderson that keep calling him at night at that time, threatened to kill him.  He was Bob’s friend when Bob and he were a lawyer.” Bob’s wife said while trying to recall her memories.

“Were? You mean…..”

“Yes. He quited after he lost the tax fraud case he and Bob was working at. And since that time, Bob and Phillips are…quiet an enemy.” Said Bob’s wife.

“Oh, but I thought that Bob was handling the case alone.” I said while looking at Bob’s wife.

“Well, technically, yes. Phillip didn’t help Bob directly. He was helping him by gathering the facts about the case. But when Bob lost, he was blaming Phillips for providing false facts to him. So, they got physical, and they stopped being friend, and Phillips started to terrored Bob at night.” Said Bob’s wife to us.

“Well, thank you for the help, Mrs. Johansson. I’m sure we’ll need your help soon.” I said to her while offering a handshake. Then she was extended her left hand.

“Oh, I don’t know you are left-handed, Mrs. Johansson.” I said, surprised.

“Well, I trained to use both of my hands on my daily life.” She said to me then left me and Soohyuk in the interrogation room.

“I’m telling you, my gut says that the wife is the killer.” I said while keep staring at the door.

“Why?” Soohyuk asked.

“I don’t know. She seems..guilty to me. And her reaction was a bit too over for me. ” I said to Soohyuk while writing the result for the questioning we had with Bob’s wife. “Don’t work based on your gut, Yuri. We use facts before we arrest people.” Soohyuk said to Yuri while pinching her cheeks.

“Yah!! It hurts. I’m not arresting her because of my gut. But I’ll gather facts so I can arrest her.” I said to Soohyuk. Then Soohyuk’s phone rang.

“Yes, honey… Oh, okay. I’ll come by your apartment after I finish my job, okay? Love you, too.” He said while hung up from the phone call.

“Your girlfriend, huh?” I asked while teasing him.

“Oh, come on, Yuri. You also have Minho, right?” Said Soohyuk. And without knowing, I gave him my sad expression.

“O..okay. I don’t know what was happening between you and Minho, but I think that was the reason why you are upset, right?” Asked Soohyuk to me.

“Well, yeah. I’ll tell you the story later. Don’t you have a girlfriend waiting for you? Go. Before she accuses us for having an affair again.” I said while chuckling remembering that a week ago, his girlfriend came to my office and accused me having an affair with Soohyuk.

“Nah, I already explained to her that we are bestfriend. At first, she didn’t believe it. But then, she tried to believe me because she is too in love with me to be angry at me.” Soohyuk said while giving his confidence-but-annoying smile.

“Hajima. It’s annoying you know?” I said to him while punching his shoulder lightly.

“I gotta go, okay? Oh and whatever your problem with Minho, talked to him. Don’t be mad by yourself. Take your anger at him, okay? You know, a little physical would be nice.” Said Soohyuk while winking at me.

“Oh. What kind of physical did you mean? Punching or…the other physical?” I said while teasing him.

“What did you mean? What did you mean by other….Oh my god… You and your ert mind.” Said Soohyuk while knocking at my head lightly. “Yah!! It hurts. Well, no wonder Amanda felt jealous at me. Look at what you did to me. People would also think that you like me if you don’t have a girlfriend.” I said to him while laughing.

“Ceh. Me, a person like me, like you? Haha. No, Yuri. You are waaay out of my league. And people here know that we’re bestfriend. But hey, thanks for saving me back then in Korea. I don’t know what would I be if you weren’t there.” Said Soohyuk.

“Hey, stop the ‘sorry’ thing, okay? I told you it’s okay. I even forget sometimes about it until you remind me again. You’re my bestfriend, ofcourse I’d do it. Hey Soohyuk!! Don’t you remember that you have appointment with your jealous girlfriend right now?” I asked to him while organizing the paper we were working on.

“Are you okay working alone? I mean I still can help you to search for another clue for this case.” Said Soohyuk while helping me.

“No, I’m fine. Besides, lab hasn’t called me yet, so I figure they haven’t found any crucial clue that leads us to the killer. If there’s any news, I prefer to work alone to.. you know, shifting my mind from…”

“Minho, I know. Okay. Then I’m off. Hey, remember my advice. Don’t get depressed by yourself. Call me if you need someone to talk to.” Said Soohyuk while leaving me alone in the interrogation room. That’s it. I cried my heart out, alone, in the interrogation room. I really need something to shift my mind from….him. Lucky me, Onew oppa called in the right time.

“Yes oppa, is there anything new about Bob’s case? Or have you found the identity of the new victim?” I said to him while sniffing and whipping my tears away, hping that it won’t be too obvious that I was crying.

Yuri, are you crying?” asked Onew.

“No, I’m not. So what is it?” I asked.

Bob was killed because of the gunshot, that’s what we assumed, right? But I found that lack of oxygen was the cause of death.” Onew oppa said.

“Okay, so Bob was strangled by something to death before the killer shot him?” I asked, confused.

No, he wasn’t strangled. Remember the last time you were here, Minho said that the maxilla was fractured because someone punched Bob, right? Turns out that he wasn’t punched. He was hit by something with round edge. And the missing teeth were blocking the respiratory pathway and made him have difficulthy in breathing and dead. After the victim dead….

“The killer detached the mandible and shot him to make sure that he was dead. Okay we found the cause of death. But it doesn’t help me to catch the killer.” I said while feeling frustrated.

Oh I forgot to tell you. The killer is left-handed.” Onew oppa said.

“Oh my god. I know who killed Bob. And what killed him I knew it!!! God, I love you. I’ll talk to you later oppa.” I said to him joking.

“Woah, Yuri I’m married. Besides, Minho will be mad at me because you said you love me.” Onew said while chuckling.

“I gotta go,” I said while hung up the phonecall. I need to go to Bob’s house right now. His wife would’ve destroying the evidence right now if I’m not go there immediately.

 

The next morning….

“How did you know that the wife’s is the killer?” Asked Jonghyun.

“Well, Onew oppa said that the killer was left-handed. And Bob was killed by something with round edge. It turns out to be Bob’s wife’s trophy. She was pissed because Bob lost at that case and Bob said it was her fault.” I said to jonghyun oppa.

Then I saw Minho oppa passing by. But, something is odd, like he didn’t want to meet me. That’s it. I should talk to him this afternoon.

 

 

Okay, Yuri. Just knock at the door. You already prepare yourself before you came to his apartment. Just knock, have a conversation with him, sort things out.

Okay, you already pressed the bell.

.

.

.

Okay, why was there no answer? I pressed the bell again. Still, no answer. I started to knock at his door. Still no answer. What is he doing?

Click.

Okay, the door is opening. Okay, Yuri say what you want to say.

“ Oppa, I need to talk to you….” I stopped when I saw who was standing at the door.

“Baby, there’s someone looking for you.” Said a girl in front of the door.