Dancing Star 5

Dancing Star

How did Jihoon define perfection? Was it how he lived his daily life? Was it how he had to make countless sacrifices to please those around him? Because if it was, then the idea of perfection was tiring. Jihoon didn’t want to admit it, but he was overwhelmingly exhausted.

Jihoon had yet to respond to Hoshi, and he wasn’t sure if he ever was. Not only did the question bring up many inner turmoils, it made him wary of the man asking the question. Jihoon liked working with Hoshi, he did. But there were moments like this, where Jihoon wondered if Hoshi was stepping over the line of trying to be more than work acquaintances.

“I’m sorry,” Hoshi said once he realized Jihoon wasn’t going to answer his question, “I get too curious for my own good. You don’t have to answer.”

Although Jihoon didn’t want to answer the question, he knew he couldn’t leave the situation awkward. Shaking his head, Jihoon said, “Don’t worry. I just don’t talk that deeply about my personal life with my coworkers. Since you’re here, watching the boys, I’ll leave them to you. I’ll see you later on tonight.”

Flustered, Hoshi got up with Jihoon to say his goodbye, “Yes, tonight. I’ll see you then.”

 

Going back to his studio, Jihoon slumped down in his chair. He knew it was unprofessional to leave in the middle of their dance lessons, but he was too upset to even think straight. Maybe what he say to Seungcheol was a lot more serious than he let on.

With all the piling pressure of taking over more responsibilities, Jihoon was becoming more and more sensitive to everyone’s thoughts around him. He knew it wasn’t professional to act on them, so now he was hiding away from everyone.

A few moment of silence would do him good. A moment to organize his thoughts was all he ever needed to keep going. He already bothered Seungcheol that morning, he didn’t want to worry him again already.

Jihoon only gets a seconds of blissful quietness as his phone goes off. Picking up the phone from the table, Jihoon wonders if Seungcheol was getting good at reading minds. It wasn’t Seungcheol’s name on his screen though, their solo artists, Seungkwan, was texting him.

Right back to work then, Jihoon thought as he opened up his phone to read the text.

From: Seungkwan

Hyung, can I talk to you for a second?

To: Seungkwan

Sure. When did you want to meet up?

From: Seungkwan

Now? I’m standing outside your door.

Chuckling with disbelief, Jihoon opened up his door for Seungkwan. “Come on in.”

“I’m sorry for bothering you, Jihoon hyung. Thank you for making time to see me,” Seungkwan said as he stepped into the room. With the door behind him closed, Seungkwan sits himself down across from Jihoon.

“It’s no problem at all, Seungkwan. My doors are always free to Akkinda’s employees. What can I help you with today?” Jihoon asked.

Rubbing his palms along his jeans, Seungkwan hesitated before saying, “I heard you were writing a new song for either me or Seokmin.”

“I’m always writing new songs for Akkinda’s artists,” Jihoon reminds Seungkwan.

“I know,” Seungkwan said with a nod, “It’s just... I was wondering if any of them were ballads or pop with a mix of hip hop. You know, to show the fans a different side of our singing.”

Jihoon considered Seungkwan’s question, and Seungcheol’s words come back to him. Could the two really be connected somehow? “Did you want a song featuring another artist?”

“It’s just that,” Seungkwan said with a small smile, “I was talking with another one of the artists here and they were kind of interested too. And if there was a slight possible chance of it happening, then I think we would all be happy about it.”

“Who is this other artist?” Jihoon asked, “They didn’t want to show up with you today?”

Seungkwan shrugged, saying, “Hansol was too busy writing lyrics. He’s serious about the collaboration though. He said he would write his own lyrics for it.”

Jihoon nodded, “Okay. It’s good to know you guys are up for some new things. I’ll get in touch with Hansol too, before I bring it up to Seungcheol and the CEOs. I think what you’re doing is great, Seungkwan. I’m sure you’ll have fun promoting with another artist, and your fans will love a change in your music.”

A smile grows on Seungkwan’s lips, eyes widening with delight, “It was a good thing I got to talk to you, Hyung. You always know what to do and say.”

 

A few days later, after going back to their normal routine, Jihoon is feeling good with the progress of the new dance choreograph. Hoshi has learnt a lot about what the boys were capable of doing and even got some of them to join in their sessions of choreographing the dance.

Despite the awkward mishap they had, the two goes back to their professional relationship. They had to, considering how stressful it could be coming up with dance moves. Jihoon didn’t want to tiptoe around Hoshi and his creative process. He was glad Hoshi had similar ideas, not bringing up talks of their personal life again.

The next few days are normal, then it wasn’t so normal.

Hoshi seemed to be gloomier than most days. He still danced with all his fierceness, but there was no motivation behind it. Jihoon noticed, but he didn’t want to bring it up until Hoshi felt like it was a problem. Although, to be honest, Jihoon did want to talk to him about it. It was his job to make sure everyone was happy.

Jihoon had a pretty productive morning, a good afternoon, and he was hopeful for a great evening. Despite the mood change in Hoshi, things were coming along nicely. With Hoshi on their team, Jihoon thought it possible for them to finish the dance choreography earlier than expected. It would be perfect, since the group actually had to learn at least two other new choreographies for their debut showcase.

The song was on Jihoon’s mind when he walks into the practice room. He had new moves he wanted to share with Hoshi, and couldn’t wait to show him. They were pretty simple, but Jihoon felt like they would make a big impact on the whole song.

“Are you ready to get started Hoshi?” Jihoon asked as he continued into the room.

Noticing the difference in the room, Jihoon stops in his tracks. There was no music playing, and Hoshi wasn’t dancing. “Why-why do you look like you’re ready to go out?”

Hoshi was leaning against the computer’s desk, looking at his phone. “That’s what we’re doing today. We’re going out for a little field trip. I was waiting for you to show up.”

“We have the choreograph to continue though,” Jihoon reminds Hoshi, confused at the sudden change in schedule.

“I know,” Hoshi said with a small nod, “but I have a issue. And I’m supposed to go to you when I have an issue.”

A frown shows up on Jihoon’s face, not really confused, but still acting the part. “What issue? What happened?”

Hoshi pouted, “I can’t think straight. I have no more inspiration. It was going good when I worked with the boys, but it only lasted so long. I need something else.”

“While we’re supposed to be working though?” Jihoon asked, slightly shocked at the reason why Hoshi hadn’t been himself for the last few days.

The pout had yet to leave Hoshi’s lips as he nodded, “You’re supposed to help me out when I have an issue.”

Jihoon knew it was his job to try his best with all their employees, not just the artists, so he decides to do this for Hoshi. Holding back the sigh bubbling up his chest, he agrees, “Okay. What kind of field trip is this to help you find your creativity again?”

The pout on Hoshi turns into a smile. It no doubt surprises Jihoon how fast Hoshi could change his expression. Then he remembered it was Hoshi he was dealing with, and it wasn’t as surprising anymore.

“It’s a secret for now,” Hoshi tells him, “But it’s going to be worth it.”

 

When Jihoon was lead to Hoshi’s car, Jihoon hesitates to get in. “We should take my car. I am kind of your boss, and it doesn’t feel right to have you drive me.”

“It’ll be faster if I drive us,” Hoshi said, opening up the door for Jihoon, “I know the route there.”

A few seconds later Jihoon had yet to enter the car, so Hoshi said with a sigh, “I’m not trying to kill you. If I wanted to, I would have had the chance with all the nights we’ve worked together.”

Jihoon wasn’t even considering the possibility of Hoshi murdering him, but now he wondered if he should text Seungcheol just in case. His mind was actually wondering about how he never knew Hoshi owned a car. He didn’t pay close attention to the transportation of their employees, but he was sure none of them owned such a nice car.

Having been distracted by composing when he was younger, Jihoon’s father bought him his own car, and he’s been driving the same one ever since. He couldn’t tell if it was a nice model or not, and even until that day Jihoon still didn’t care.

But Hoshi’s car, Jihoon could tell with one look that it was a nice one. Hoshi’s car was a super nice car.

“Time is ticking,” Hoshi reminds him.

Knowing he couldn’t talk Hoshi out of using his car, Jihoon enters the awaiting open door. Once Jihoon was comfortably sitting down, Hoshi finally gets into the driver's seat. With their seatbelts on, Hoshi pulls away from Akkinda’s building and into the busy city.

Seeing as Hoshi had said their destination was a secret, Jihoon figured it to be pointless to ask where they were going. If Jihoon had learnt anything about Hoshi, it was that the guy was determined. It almost scared Jihoon how determined Hoshi was. He had never met someone else as determined as he was.

It was only after spending so much time with Hoshi did Jihoon see why everyone just let him be. It was useless to try and talk him out of doing something he had already set his mind on. The two of them still had their common grounds, where their best interest was for the boys debut, but they knew what they wanted and were ready to do anything to get their own way.

When the car comes to a stop, Jihoon peers up at the building beside him and sees an arcade. He didn’t want to believe this was where Hoshi went when he lost inspiration. What could they possibly do here to bring back his motivation? Despite his worries, Jihoon keeps it all in and waits for Hoshi.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Hoshi said, also looking at the building, “But you’ll understand once we go in.”

“I’m just following your lead tonight,” Jihoon truthfully tells Hoshi. This was new territory for him and he was feeling very out of place. Despite it all, Jihoon wanted to trust Hoshi.

Both of them get out of the car, and Jihoon literally follows Hoshi into the building. Passing the main lobby, they enter the arcade room, and Hoshi heads towards a certain part of the room. Once their footsteps slow down, Jihoon could see what Hoshi was looking forward to.

A Pump machine was flashing lights and music was blaring from all around it.

“Have you played before?” Hoshi asked with an anticipating grin.

Jihoon stops staring at the game to look at Hoshi, and instead of responding, he just shakes his head.

Hoshi smiles even wider, “I’ll teach you. Your sense of rhythm and dancing skills will make it easier. Even then, we’ll start out slow.”

So they do, and like everything Jihoon does, he learns the basics with the determination to do his best. Almost forgetting Hoshi, Jihoon concentrates on his movements, getting better by the minute.

“Are you sure this is your first time playing?” Hoshi asked, breathing hard as they stopped to take a small break.

Jihoon shrugs, “What can I say, I’m a fast learner when it comes to music and dance.”

“So you’re saying that I’m dealing with a genius?” Hoshi chuckled.

“Many people would probably agree with your words,” Jihoon tells him, “But it’s really all dedication and hardwork.”

“Dedication and hardwork,” Hoshi said as he nodded in agreement, “Even the best have to work hard towards their goals.”

“It’s all worth it in the end though, isn’t it?” Jihoon asked.

“Everything to be where I am?” Hoshi replied, “Of course it was. There is still so much more I want to do, and all the work I do towards those goals are going to be worth it too.”

Jihoon smiled as he said, “It is that attitude that I’m glad to have you working with us at Akkinda. Even if you aren’t a artist, we still want to do our best to help you in your goals.”

“That was what I was told on my orientation day. I’m glad it’s being taken seriously. Cause I enjoying being there too,” Hoshi said as he returned the smile.

“That’s good to hear. Now are you ready to get your kicked in this next round?” Jihoon grinned, ready play again already.

“You’re pretty confident for an amtuer,” Hoshi remarks.

Jihoon shrugs, “Maybe just confident in my skills as a genius.”

“We’ll see about that,” Hoshi said, “I’ve been dancing ever since I could walk. The moment this game came out I’ve been playing it. I have had years of skills against you and your genius abilities.”

“Once you stop talking, and start dancing, we will see who wins.”

And so they stop talking, but they bicker over what song to play, Jihoon wary of the fact that Hoshi knew them all already. Which was true, Hoshi did know most of the songs and all their moves.

They settle of Super Junior’s U, which Hoshi claims he hasn’t played in years. Hoshi plays it at the medium level, telling Jihoon they should go slower just in case. And Jihoon shrugs with a frown, but allows it.

When they’re satisfied with the settings, the two get ready for the song to come on. And when the song does play, other than the instructions telling him which blocks to step on, Jihoon forgets everything around him. Just like dancing any other solo song, Jihoon lose all track of time for those few minutes and focuses on just the movement of his body.

Doing something he loved, Jihoon never felt more free.