Dancing Star 4

Dancing Star

 

Jihoon was studying Hoshi’s movements as the other seven boys went from awe to cheering him on. If Hoshi’s audition proved anything about his skills, the performance he was giving now was just showing off. Hoshi doesn’t change his glare though, despite the loudness, as he kept up with the beat. Even though it was Hoshi who told Jihoon he could be famous, Jihoon knew it was really Hoshi who would shine like a star if he ever decided to debut.

Once the music stops, the boys clapped and high-fived Hoshi. Jihoon had joined in the clapping, once again approving Hoshi of his skills, but he stayed behind the clutter of boys. Jihoon watched as the new choreographer mingled with the people he would be working closely with. When they were done cheering Hoshi, the boys starts asking him about his dance, and Jihoon could feel the whole meaning of their introduction becoming side-tracked.

He had to bring them back from their excitement. There were still other things the whole group had to worry about. “Okay, come on guys. Let’s get back in focus. You’ll have time later for when Hoshi gets to teach you guys free-style. There’s something else you guys should be worrying about.”

Hearing this, the boy who Seungcheol had appointed leader due to his age, stood back and started to calm down the others.

Hoshi had also looked over to Jihoon, saw the seriousness of the situation, and decided it was best to save the rest of the conversation for later. He goes to join Jihoon where he stands, watching as all seven boys line themselves up in front of them.

“Back to the main point of showing off our skills,” Jihoon said then. Looking over to Hoshi, Jihoon asks, “What did you think of the boys?”

Given the chance to talk, Hoshi takes his time to start. He first looks over to the boys studying them all quickly. Pointing out the leader, Hoshi said, “You, I’ve actually seen you before. You’re dancing is pretty good.”

The kid bows and says thank you, looking proud of the compliment.

Hoshi then continues with his thoughts, “I’ve been dancing since I could walk, and I am still learning new things all the time. I want us to take this chance to not only move toward your debut, but to learn from each other. You may wonder what you can offer, but don’t sell yourself short. I saw a lot of great potential from all of you. Maybe it’s because of the training here, or the commitment to learning everything possible, but the whole group is amazing. I have no complaints, but I also know you guys are capable of learning and growing even more.”

There is a smile on Jihoon’s lips, “So you’re saying?”

Hoshi looks over with his own smile, “Let them hear their song, I know you’re dying to reveal it too.”

“Stop giving my secrets away,” Jihoon said, shaking his head, as the smile stayed. He walks over to the music controller and plugs in his phone.

The group of boys watch on intently. They’ve been waiting for this chance to come for so long, and to be hearing their own song, the one people will be remembering them for, it only made them more determined. There was a moment of silence as they all waited on Jihoon.

Then there was no more waiting, cause Hoshi was right, Jihoon had been wanting to let the boys hear their song. Pressing play, Jihoon looks over to the boys, wanting to see their reactions.

At first their all serious, ready to figure out if the song is good enough for their debut. And Jihoon is glad, they should take their music careers seriously. Once the song starts though, with its beat and lyrics, the boys couldn’t hold it in.

No matter how many times he hears compliments, it still makes his heart lighter than anything. Jihoon loves what his music can do to others, and he knew this song was going to not only change the listener’s life, but it was going to greatly impact the lives of the boys standing in front of him.

Jihoon smiles as he hears a gasp, a “Really?”, “Our song?”, “Amazing.”

 

After hearing the song a few more times, Jihoon quiets down the group once again. “I’m sure you guys are all excited to jump into the song, but you guys all know there are still other priorities. The charity event is coming up. I want you guys to fully focus on that for now. We’ll take our time with the debut. Hoshi still needs to choreograph, you guys still need to learn the lyrics, we need to continue with vocal lessons and hopefully start recording within the next few months. There is a lot to do.

“Dino will still be teaching your dance lessons, but Hoshi will be joining too, to get a feel of what goes best with the group. The dancers of the group can get with Hoshi personally if you want to. I’m sure Hoshi would love the chance to have some one on one with each of you guys.

“There is much to do, so every day will be used wisely to make sure you are all ready for when you do debut. If you need anybody to talk to, don’t hesitate to talk to someone. Our staff is here to help you grow your dreams, and we want you in a good happy state to achieve them.”

Although the boys had probably heard speeches like this all the time, they still paid attention to what he had to say. Coming from someone like Jihoon, they wanted to listen closely to his words. It meant that much more to them.

Hoshi joins Jihoon, clearing his throat, “I have something to say too.”

Jihoon nods his approval to go on, and Hoshi nods his thanks.

“Like Jihoon said, if you need anyone to talk to, you guys can come and talk to me. If I’m not capable of helping out right away, I’ll find someone who can. If you want to further your dancing practices, I can definitely do that as well. My biggest project right now may by your debut, but I am more than willing to help out in any other ways too.”

The boys shout their thanks, bowing to them.

With the boys gone to their next schedule, it leaves Jihoon alone with Hoshi once more. Jihoon was glad the boys took well to Hoshi and vice versa. Despite only have been with Hoshi for one day, Jihoon was glad for the new addition to their company. Hoshi was more than willing to follow the protocol of their companies policies and it made Jihoon like him that much more.

“You did pretty well with the boys,” Jihoon said, voicing his thoughts.

Hoshi looks over at him with a smile, “They remind me of me when I was that age. I can’t help but what to help them out as much as possible.”

Jihoon studies Hoshi with curiosity, “You wanted to debut when you were their age?”

Hoshi laughs, “No, I’ve never thought of debuting. Idol life is not for me. But I desperately wanted to get my own name out there. I wanted my choreograph to be noticed by the big names, I wanted to be instantly recognized by other talented dancers.”

“What happened?” Jihoon asked.

With a shrug Hoshi said, “Life happened. In the end I had to take another route, but it’s still one that I love. I still get to dance.”

It seemed Hoshi didn’t want to talk too much about his past, and Jihoon knew better than to keep asking. Nodding in understanding, Jihoon kept quiet, not wanting to pry any longer.

Jihoon had only one last statement to add, “We’re really lucky to have you, Hoshi. You’re an amazing dancer.”

With a bright smile, Hoshi said, “Thank you.”

 

A week past with Jihoon working slowly on different songs he had in mind in the mornings, business in the afternoon, watching over the boys in the evenings, and late night dance sessions with Hoshi. It was busy, but Jihoon liked busy. It was everything he wanted when he thought of Akkinda.

After a particularly hard night of sleeping, Jihoon was rolling his shoulders, trying to ease the tense muscles in his neck. He was in his studio, working on a song he was hoping to give to one of their ballad singers. Jihoon knew either Seungkwan or Seokmin, with their heavenly voices, would be able to carry the emotions of the song.

Closing his eyes, Jihoon listened closely to the melody, figuring out what would go next best. He didn’t get far though. The vibrating of his phone on his desk shook him from his thoughts.

He had received a text.

From: Seungcheol

Your only schedule for business

today is to have lunch with me.

I need a recharge, especially since you’ve

been so busy.

To: Seungcheol

You read my mind.

I need a recharge too.

Meet up at the cafe in an hour?

From: Seungcheol

Sounds good to me!

Walking into the cafe, Jihoon spots Seungcheol right away. When Seungcheol lifts his head to see who had walked in, a smile blooms on his lips. Jihoon grins at the gummy smile.

“How long were you waiting?” Jihoon asks as he walks over to Seungcheol and the two cups of coffee he had.

“Not long,” Seungcheol said, handing one over to Jihoon.

“We’re not having lunch here, are we?” Jihoon asked.

“As much as I like Doyoon, and the cafetary food here,” Seungcheol said, glancing over at the empty counter, “I want you to be eating something other than what we have normally.”

Leaving Akkinda, Seungcheol takes them to a chicken restaurant. It was the perfect healthy choice Jihoon needed at the moment.

“Are there any new rumors I need to be informed of?” Jihoon asked Seungcheol as they waited for their food to be brought out.

Seungcheol took a moment to think before he started with a smirk, “Apparently there is a new office romance.”

Jihoon’s eyes goes wide, “Really?”

“Also,” Seungcheol said, leaning in close to Jihoon to whisper, “it’s between two of our artists.”

“No way,” Jihoon exclaims, “Who? Seokmin and Seungkwan?”

Seungcheol shook his head slightly, “Even more of a surprise, cause it’s between a ballad singer and rapper.”

“I don’t believe it,” Jihoon said, smiling, “Seungkwan and Hansol?”

“I’m sure nothing is happening yet,” Seungcheol tells him, “But I found them talking to each other late at night in one of the practice rooms. Not even practicing, just talking and laughing together.”

“Why do you say it’s romance then?” Jihoon asked, “It could be a really good friendship they have.”

“Seungkwan was looking at Hansol like he was staring at the whole world. No one does that unless they are in love,” Seungcheol tells him. Then catching Jihoon’s gaze, he added, “It’s the same look I feel when I look at you.”

Scoffing, Jihoon chuckled, “Is this why you asked me out for lunch? Just to flirt with me?”

“That, and because I missed you,” Seungcheol said back.

Jihoon huffed, “I missed you too. There is no doubt I love what I am doing now, but it used to be us two doing everything together. Now we see each other for small parts of the day only.”

Seungcheol thought over Jihoon words and agreed, “I knew our time apart would eventually happen. Yet it still hurts being away from each other all the time. I’m scared it’ll keep happening more and more as the company grows. The responsibilities we’re given only keep us away from each other, too. We- we need to fix a time in our busy schedule just for us. I don’t want our thoughts for the company to ever change. I don’t want us to ever lose track of what we want our future to be.”

Everything Jihoon had been thinking and feeling was put into words by Seungcheol. Jihoon wanted nothing more than to see Seungcheol more frequently. “I agree. I think we should make more time for each other. If not for the company, then at least for our own sanity. The pressure from everyone, our fathers, it gets to be too much for me at times.”

“You’re supposed to tell me when that happens,” Seungcheol said with worry, “How am I supposed to help you when you don’t tell me? It’s our thing we’re trying to reinforce at the company to our employees, but it should apply between us too.”

“I-I just...” Jihoon doesn’t want to say it.

Seungcheol carefully takes Jihoon’s chin and makes him look at him, “You are never going to be a burden on me. We chose this path together didn’t we?”

Jihoon doesn’t know what to say other than to nod and agree.

“Come on now,” Seungcheol said smiling, “Let’s eat up. We need the energy.”

 

Later that day, Jihoon decides to sit in on the boys dance lessons. With the upcoming charity, Jihoon wanted to make sure the boys were going to be ready.

Walking into the practice room, all eyes goes to him. Dino eyes widen and smiles, “It looks like we have a very special guest today.”

“Continue on,” Jihoon gestures to their dance movements, “I’m just watching today.”

Dino nods, and goes back to studying the boys like a hawk.

Hoshi, who had been dancing with the boys, walks over to Jihoon with a chair to join him. “I’ve been meaning to ask, what is up with this charity event anyways? Everyone is super serious with it.”

Jihoon nodded, “It is a event we all take very serious here. We hold it twice a year, and all profits goes to a orphanage.”

“That’s what I hear,” Hoshi continues, “All artists contribute to the stage as well?”

“Yup,” Jihoon answers, “They usually sing the song they’re promoting at the moment. Trainees go for the experience and they cover a song. It’s why I wanted them to focus on that for now, while we come up with their choreography.”

“It’s all very amazing,” Hoshi says, “It really does make me like the company a lot more, but why the orphanage?”

Jihoon looks over at Hoshi in wonderment, “You’ve never read the articles, have you?”

Shrugging, Hoshi said, “I don’t care much about with the newspaper or press has to say.”

Nodding, Jihoon replied, “I can respect that. It’s just that it’s a pretty sensitive topic. My father, who opened up about his past in a press conference, was a orphan himself. One of his goals was to always give back to those who helped raised him when he had nothing. So we have charities, sometimes our artists and staff does surprise visits, we also donate food and clothing. We like to bring hope to the kids.”

“That,” Hoshi said, “is incredible. Your father is has come far in his life.”

Once again agreeing, Jihoon said, “He has had to work very hard for everything we have now.”

Then there was a moment of silence, as if Hoshi was choosing his words before he talked. “Is that, is that why you always strive for perfection too?”