Dancing Star 3

Dancing Star

 

“Jihoon-ah,” Jihoon’s father said, bringing him back to reality, “This is Kwon Hoshi.”

Hoshi smiles at him, and bows. Jihoon smiles and bows back in return. Now that he was getting the chance to study the man up close, Jihoon noticed how young Hoshi waa. But he eluded a wise aurora as well. No matter how serious Hoshi was acting in front of the CEO, Jihoon felt like a childish manner could sprout out of the man at any time. Hoshi was a mystery, and Jihoon never had a mystery in front of him before. It made him slightly nervous. Yet there was an excitement dancing in Jihoon’s stomach at the thought of having a new person around.

His father gestures to him, while talking to Hoshi, “This is my son, Lee Jihoon. I’m sure the both of you are curious as to why you were called here today.”

Jihoon watched as Hoshi listened intently to each word being said by the CEO.

“Hoshi was just hired as a dance instructor, while Jihoon is in charge of an idol group who is to debut some time next year. There is no better opportunity other than this. It will be a challenge for both of you, and I know between both your talents, it will turn out great. Jihoon finished their debut song just a few days ago and I’ve decided the choreography will be done by the both of you.”

Hoshi blankly blinks at the CEO, “My first project is with your new idol group?”

“Yes,” Jihoon’s father nods, “We’ve all seen your audition, there is no doubt that you can handle this. I’m sure Jihoon will agree. Between the two of you, talented dancers, I give you three to four months to make a routine, then around six months to teach the kids. They have to be ready for anything.”

Jihoon had stood by the whole time, listening to his father’s request. This wasn’t something new to him. His father, the CEO, had asked of him to do many things for their company. Jihoon, already in the past, had choreographed many routines for the boys for their mini talent shows. He had also taught many different idols and solo artists dance routines.

There was only one difference this time, he would be working with someone. Someone who he sort of admired from just one audition.

“Jihoon,” his father said to him, “Hoshi has already been given the tour of the building. He’s been given an office as well. For the first three to four months it takes to make the routine, he is under your care. I’m sure the kids are waiting for their dance routine, don’t make them wait too long.”

“Yes, sir,” Jihoon replies.

“You can take Hoshi with you now. I’m sure he would like to hear the song.”

“Yes,” Jihoon said, bowing.

Hoshi, in a fluster, bows as well, “Thank you, sir. I won’t disappoint you.”

“I’m sure everything will go fine. Have a good day,” the CEO says to Hoshi.

Jihoon’s father walks back to his chair and sits down. Taking this as sign, Jihoon walks towards the door and gestures for Hoshi to follow him. Hoshi’s eyes shake a bit, but follows him out of the office.

Once the door is closed behind them, Jihoon walks ahead.

“Come on,” Jihoon says as he leads them away.

“Where are we going?” Hoshi asks as he follows into step with Jihoon.

“My personal studio,” Jihoon replies.

“Oh,” Hoshi said with wide eyes, “So you really are the CEO’s son.”

Jihoon chuckles, “It would be weird if he randomly introduced someone else to you as his son.”

 

Going into his studio, Jihoon pulls another chair near his desk. “Later on today you’ll meet the boys. They have yet to hear the song as well. Which you will probably get to do with them too. You should probably hang out with them as much as possible. It’s good to have a friendly relationship with those you are working with.”

“Ahhh,” Hoshi exclaims, sitting down, as he nods, “That means we’ll be getting pretty close too then.”

“Us?” Jihoon asks, leaning back from Hoshi.

Hoshi nods again, “Us. We’re going to be choreographing this dance number together. I think it would be good for us to have a friendly relationship too.”

“Of course,” Jihoon replies, slightly nodding as well, “I haven’t had too many opportunities to get to know everyone well, but this will be a good start.”

Jihoon knew he knew everyone in the company well enough, but he wanted to know them all in better. He didn’t want to just be known as the future CEO who made a majority of their music. Jihoon wanted to be considered family.

Hoshi is looking over at him in confusion now. His brows are furrowed and chin all scrunched up. “Since you are the CEO’s son, I’m guessing you’ve been around ever since you were born. How is it that you aren’t well acquainted with everyone? How many friends do you have here?”

A pout replies to Hoshi’s questions, cause now Jihoon wants to tell him how he knows everyone. “I’m pretty good friends with the barista in our cafe. And I’m on pretty friendly terms with all our artists. In fact, I bought the group we’re working with some drinks yesterday.”

“You’re a pretty cool guy then, is what you’re saying,” Hoshi said, smiling while swiveling slightly in his chair.

“I don’t know about cool,” Jihoon frowned, “But I try to treat everyone with respect. It’s what they deserve, knowing how hard everyone works here.”

“That’s definitely cool,” Hoshi replies, “It’s good to know I’m working with someone like you.”

Jihoon scoffed, trying to hide the embarrassment of being called cool. “Let’s listen to this song now.”

“Oh, yeah.” Hoshi said, now leaning forward with anticipation, “I’ve been wanting to see what you are capable of. I mean I hear your songs everywhere, but this one is fresh. It’s exciting to be part of this progress.”

Jihoon smirked, “The group doesn’t have a name yet, but they are getting pretty popular already. That’s the kind of expectation we have to meet and go beyond.”

Hoshi nodded, all serious now, “With you and me behind them, I have no doubts we will destroy the whole music world with these boys. I have yet to see their talents, but if they had someone like you working with them, I’m sure they will be top notch too.”

“The kids are amazing,” Jihoon said, still smiling, “And the team of dancers and vocalist we have are pretty good too. You’re in good hands here.”

“Let’s hear this song then,” Hoshi tells him, “I can’t wait to start this project.”

Jihoon turns to his computer and finds the right file. Making sure his speakers were up and working, he played the track. Since Jihoon had hear the song many times, he bopped along to the melody, quitely noticing Hoshi every now and then.

Hoshi, who was open mouth through the whole song, barely moving. He had his eyes closed and was deeply concentrating on the song. Once the song ended, he opened his eyes and looked over to Jihoon. “That was you singing, wasn’t it?”

Jihoon nodded, “The final product was approved a few days ago. Even the boys have yet to hear it. Recording for them will probably take a while too. So for now we’ll be using this track.”

“How come...,” Hoshi started with curiosity in his eyes, “How come you never thought of becoming an artist? You have an amazing voice, one that many would love to hear, to be healed by. It’s that powerful.”

A flush overtook Jihoon’s neck, and it was raising towards his cheeks. Everyone always asked, yet it still flustered him. And coming from someone who was so blunt about it, it surprised him even more. Most people would just tell him Akkinda would be twice as popular with him promoting his own songs. Jihoon shrugged, “What can I say, I love what I’m doing now. I know I can achieve many things if I were to debut, but I don’t see that path for myself. My songs, sung by so many different artists, is life fulfilling enough for me. My music has already healed many.”

A smile was back on Hoshi’s lips. “And to think I get to work with someone like you. You have no idea how exciting it is.”

Jihoon shakes his head, used to the pleasantries being thrown at him, but a small smile stayed on his lips. “I may have a name for myself already. But I have no doubts you will make a name for yourself pretty soon too. I saw your audition.”

Hoshi gasps, “You saw my dance?”

“I was there the day you auditioned. I was impressed, everyone was,” Jihoon tells him.

“You-You thought I was good?” Hoshi asked.

“Good?” Jihoon scoffed, “You were more than just good. You were amazing. I actually finished the song after seeing your dance.”

“My dance helped you finish your song?” Hoshi leaned forward, awe on his face.

Jihoon leaned away from him, unsure how to react after saying something he shouldn’t have. Quickly, Jihoon said, “Uhhh, no. It was just a nice breather, going to see parts of the audition. I was stuck in this room for a long time.”

“Ahhh,” Hoshi replied, leaning back, with a smile, and a nonchalant nod.

“Seeing passionate people doing what they love helps me,” Jihoon continues to explains, over doing his words.

“It’s fine, Jihoon.” Hoshi said with a glint in his eyes, “I’m glad I could help. If you ever need to watch me dance again, to get some creative juices flowing, just let me know.”

Jihoon internally cringed. What was he saying? He couldn’t ask to see Hoshi dance whenever he wanted. And it was a one time thing, it wouldn’t need to happen again. “No, no. Your dancing was great, but I’ll be fine. I’ve finished many songs before without needing to see people dance.”

A laughter escapes Hoshi and subsides into silly sounding giggles. “I was just joking about the seeing me dance for creative juices. You’ll probably see me dancing every day anyway.”

Going quiet, Jihoon nods. It was true. They were going to see each other dance everyday now. He was going to have to deal with the Kwon Hoshi who made him bubble over with inspiration. The one who shot into his mind whenever he spared himself a moment of time.

Jihoon had worked beside many other choreographers before, but they had never occupied his mind like Hoshi did. He wasn’t sure if it was a good thing or not. But in the moment, when it was what his father had wanted, he had no choice but to do it. Jihoon would just have to keep his thoughts in check.

But he also couldn’t help but think of how right he was about Hoshi. The man went from serious in front of the CEO, to childish with Jihoon in matter of minutes. Jihoon was starting to think he was wrong about Hoshi. He wasn’t as mysterious as Jihoon thought him to be. Hoshi wore his heart on his sleeves, letting his emotions appear as they came.

Through all the different people Jihoon had worked with, it was interesting to find someone who made him feel the way Hoshi made him feel. Not only was Jihoon proud of Akkinda, he was also proud of himself.

“Let’s hear the song one more time,” Hoshi continued, “Also, if it’s okay, I would like a copy of the audio. You know, for dance choreography reasons. Then you can show me the practice room we’ll be using. I want to start right away.”

Getting back to business, Jihoon nods, “Of course. You’ll need the music to actually do your job. This afternoon, when the boys are done with their individual practices, I’ll be calling them into the practice room to share with them the song. We’ll introduce you then too.”

“Sounds perfect,” Hoshi agrees, “I can’t wait to see them.”

 

“Gather around,” Jihoon told the excited boys. They were all crowded around one another, whispering about what was going to happen. Hoshi was in the room too, and he was scoping out the kids.

Hearing Jihoon, all seven boys walk over to him. They line up and wait for him to start.

“I have someone to introduce,” Jihoon said, gesturing for Hoshi to join him. “This is our new dance choreographer, Kwon Hoshi, who will be helping us choreograph your debut song.”

All seven boys bow in greeting, “It’s nice to meet you, Hoshi-nim.”

Hoshi has a wide smile on. And Jihoon wondered if Hoshi’s neck was becoming red from the warmth or from the embarrassment of being their new teacher. It’s was Hoshi’s turn to greet them.

Bowing as well, he said, “It’s good to meet you boys too. It’s a great honor to be able to choreograph your debut song. If we work hard together, I know it’ll turn out great.”

“I’m glad you guys got to meet,” Jihoon said, taking over again. “Now the real work starts. For the first day, we’ll test each other out. You guys get to see Hoshi dance and Hoshi will get to see you guys dance. Show him what you’re capable of, show him what you’ve achieved over all your years of training. If he is satisfied, I’ll let you guys listen to your debut song.”

There was a chorus of “Yes sir! We’ll do our best!”

Since Jihoon put their debut song on the line, he hoped it would give them push to do well. And he was right.

Once Hoshi chose the song, flustering the boys with his choice, he started choosing boys to start. One by one, the boys danced to the beat. Hyping each other up, the room became loud with music and noise. Even Jihoon couldn’t help himself but join in. He hadn’t done this with the boys in a long time and it was good to see what they had learnt so far.

After all seven boys took their turns, they all him, chanting his name.

“Jihoon-nim, Jihoon-nim, Jihoon-nim, Jihoon-nim, Jihoon-nim, Jihoon-nim.”

Jihoon shook his head, smiling cause he knew he was going to give in anyways. He always did. And because he also had to prove himself to Hoshi, he walked to the middle of the floor and let the melody of the song take over his body.

The last time Jihoon dance freely like this, he was hanging out with all the choreographers and backup dancers. Seungcheol wanted them all to meet up and talk about their goals for the year. It was always a great time and they always ended the meeting by dancing for hours.

Catching Hoshi’s eyes, something jittered in his stomach. It took him by surprise. Nothing like that ever happened. The shimmer in Hoshi’s eyes, following him, echoed in his mind. Finishing his movement, Jihoon smiled to the boys. They all came up to him to give him a high-five.

“That was pretty good,” Hoshi said, walking to the floor. Then looking a Jihoon and the boys, he smugly said, “But it’s my turn now.”

The music changes, and Hoshi is not the man Jihoon had been conversing all day to anymore, Hoshi is the man Jihoon saw dancing at the auditions. The happy bubbly guy is gone, and in his place is a fierce person ready to take on the world.