Dancing Star 1

Dancing Star

Being the son of a big entertainment company like Akkinda Entertainment would have made being an idol star easy, but it wasn’t what Jihoon wanted. He was happy enough being in the background. Being known but hidden, that’s where he knew he belonged. And some might think the long tedious hours that came with the job was hard but Jihoon loved the time alone to make music.

It was another normal day, where if anybody wanted to find Jihoon they would know to look in his studio. But, of course, people knew that they shouldn’t even be bothering him in the first place. He had hours for all the other random stuff he was in charge of.

In his small studio, Jihoon was listening to the song he was working on for the umpteenth time. He was stuck. It wasn’t something that happened on occasion, but when it did it left Jihoon feeling powerless. He had his face buried in his arms, losing count of how many times he had sighed already.

No ideas came to him that proved to be worthy of his desired outcome for the song. And Jihoon knew the piece would continue to sit there until he did figure out what was missing.

Only in desperate times like this did Jihoon allow himself to go back to his childhood, remembering all the musical toys he had received from his dad. He was still very young when he visited the company for the first time. And even though the memory was vague, he remembered a strong feeling of being happy with the sights of music being made in front of him.

Jihoon was not a very curious boy growing up, but being at Akkinda’s building made him curious. When his dad beamed at him, with proudness that his son was going to take over his company one day, he started immediately helping him in his new interest.

Memories of aging and spending all his time at Akkinda came back to Jihoon as well. He was still surrounded by family and friends, since Akkinda was such a tight network of people, but he also became very familiar with celebrities and respected artists. And over the years, they had all asked the same question, wondering if he ever regretted not wanting to go for an higher education after high school. Yet all Jihoon could do was smile and shake his head. He knew what he was doing. He loved his position too much to have regrets. Jihoon knew everyone would have supported the idea of attending a University, but Jihoon was eager to get his songs out into the world.

The rare few times when Jihoon was stuck he thought of one other person. Even though Seungcheol mentioned a busy schedule, he wondered if a small conversation would help motivate him. Grabbing out his phone, Jihoon messages his best friend.

To: Seungcheol

Any special talent I should look out for?

From: Seungcheol

None that are good as you!

How’s the song coming along?

To: Seungcheol

I’m stuck. T.T

From: Seungcheol

>.< Wish I was done here to be with you,

but we have another batch of people to go through.

To: Seungcheol

Well, don’t let me distract you then.

Go back to work!

Jihoon dropped his phone and placed his face in his palms. He sighed, knowing how useless it was texting Seungcheol when he was busy. While his face was in his hands, a wave of dizziness came to him. Jihoon groaned and realized how tired his was. He let out a little whine when he knew that before he would allow himself any sleep he had to finish his song. He had a deadline, and despite the fact that it was a deadline that he gave himself, he kept promises.

Just like the promised fate that he shared with his best friend. The only thing is, Seungcheol isn’t just his best friend.

While Akkinda was doing well now, the company had gone through a tough downfall. Before Jihoon was born, and his dad was the only CEO of Akkinda, the company was on the verge of a bankruptcy. Jihoon’s dad did everything he could before he decided that he needed help. He leaned to his friend, and between the two of them, they brought Akkinda back to life and into the company that it was today.

Not only were they close friends in the workplace, but they were close personal friends as well. And so when Seungcheol was born with Jihoon joining them a year later, the two family had many visits to each others houses. The two happy families enjoyed life together.

As the boys grew up, they became each other’s sidekicks, going where the other went. Seungcheol was Jihoon’s first friend, and they were each other’s only best friend. Both grew up sharing everything, knowing the other all too well.

So it was no surprise that when Jihoon showed interest in Akkinda, Seungcheol followed. Both CEO’s of Akkinda were overjoyed that their sons were going to continue on their legacy.

And what first started out as a family joke, that the parents played around with, later turned into a serious promise. All the parents could see it. Seungcheol didn’t care for anyone much other than Jihoon, and Jihoon only looked up to Seungcheol. They never went anywhere without the other.

One day, when the boys were 15 and 16, they were invited to a joint family meal out. Jihoon didn’t think much of it as they ate out together all the time. He didn’t think the elders would have a hidden agenda to their outing.

So Jihoon was seriously shocked at the end when his dad proudly asked Seungcheol to be Jihoon’s life partner. He went on to explain that it was what the two families wanted, considering that both boys would be taking over Akkinda in the future.

Jihoon shared a glance with Seungcheol before they both looked to their parents. They knew they wouldn’t and couldn’t disappoint them. Seungcheol took Jihoon’s hand in his and nodded with a smile. Jihoon, with his whole face flushed, stayed quiet not knowing what to say. Like always, he trusted his best friend to speak for him.

For the next five years, Jihoon knew he was in safe hands with his best friend at his side. There were no questions as to how his future was going to look like. He would be the future Co-CEO of Akkinda Entertainment with Seungcheol standing by him.

Thinking about his best friend, Jihoon allowed himself a small break. He wanted to make sure the boy, he hadn’t seen in a week, was doing okay. There was also a small part of him that wanted to see for himself if there was any talent he should be looking out for.

Jihoon’s studio was stationed on the tenth floor, and they were holding auditions in the first floor’s practice room. So he was feeling grateful for the small distraction, knowing that he would have to make the journey down. And as long as Jihoon was going to the first floor, he figured he could also grab a cup of coffee from their own personal Akkinda Cafe as well.

On the way down, Jihoon met many of the workers at Akkinda. They were flustered to see him at first, but bowed when they finally regained themselves. He offered his own bow, knowing that it was the proper thing to do. It wasn’t that Jihoon was scary to them, he was just never seen much elsewhere other than his studio room, the recording studio, and the practice rooms. Seungcheol dealt more with the business side of Akkinda, while Jihoon dealt more with the artistic side.

Getting off the elevator on the first floor, Jihoon makes his way over to the archway that separated the main floor to the Cafe. There he was greeted by a familiar face.

“Jihoonie-ssi!”

Jihoon smiled at his friend behind the counter, “Hi Doyoon-hyung.”

“What are you doing here? Usually a staff member brings you your coffee.”

Jihoon rolled his eyes and said, “I have legs that need exercise at times too. Plus, can’t I stop by to see a friend?”

Doyoon grinned, “Your usual?”

“Yes, please,” Jihoon said, seating himself near the front.

While Jihoon waited for his order to be done, the cafe filled with a boy group that would be debuting next year.

All seven of them bowed to Jihoon and he offered them his own bow.

“Hi kids,” Jihoon greeted them, “Have you guys been doing your vocal practices?”

“Yes!” they replied together.

Jihoon chuckled, knowing that he scared the group at times.

It was at this time that Doyoon finished his order, “Jihoon-ssi, stop scaring the kids while they are on their break. Take your drink.”

Jihoon scoffed at Doyoon, who had taken the side of the kids. He grabbed his drink and thanked the barista.

The group bowed again as Jihoon passed them on his way out of the cafe. While bowed down to a perfect 90 degree, they shouted, “Have a good day.”

He was just about passed the archway when he turned around and said, “Doyoon-hyung, the kids drinks today are on me.”

Doyoon’s blank face turned into a smile and nodded. All the boys screamed in delight, telling Jihoon how awesome he was. Jihoon turned to leave, grinning.

Jihoon knew he had to be a strict producer and vocal trainer to their idols, but he had a soft heart for the kids running after their dreams.

 

The practice room on the first floor had a two way glass. Whereas he could look into the room, all the people inside could see was a mirror. There was a countertop along the wall with bar stools, and that is where Jihoon decided to sit and watch the auditions happen.

He placed his coffee in front of him and observed the room. At one end of the practice room a table was set up. That was where three people sat, watching the performances in front of them. Jihoon saw Seungcheol sitting in the middle of two of their dance instructors. He smiled when he saw the serious face of Seungcheol, chuckling with the knowledge that Seungcheol was trying to act tough.

Opposite of the panelist, a group of people were standing along the wall, waiting for their names to be called out. Jihoon had seen it too many times, knowing that each candidate would have to be watched by the whole room.

Today they weren’t looking for potential idols, they were looking for potential dance instructors and backup dancers. And even though Seungcheol trained idols with their rap, he was well versed in dancing as well. Jihoon would have been stuck in the room as well, but he had a deadline.

Jihoon scanned the line of people as he sipped at his coffee. He hummed to his song, looking at each person in this round. Jihoon frowned as he didn’t see anyone that stood out from just appearance.

Even though the glass wall was two way, it was also soundproof. It left Jihoon to watch each individual to fling around the room with no sound.

He watched a few of the candidates do their performance, knowing full well what was their outcome. He and Seungcheol shared many same viewpoints about how they were going to run Akkinda, and Seungcheol knew what Jihoon would be looking for when conducting auditions. Looking over to Seungcheol, after each performance, Jihoon could read Seungcheol’s face easily.

Shaking his head in disappointment, Jihoon was going to give up the search for any talent in the group. Yet the moment that he was about to turn away, someone caught his eye. Jihoon looked on, wondering how the blond, walking to the middle of the room, had skipped his radar. Turning back to give the practice room his full attention, he watched as the blond waited for the panelist to give him the signal to introduce himself.

Seungcheol nodded to the blond, giving him the go. The blond introduced himself, and Seungcheol asked him a question or two before signaling the music to start.

With the first strong move, the blond swiftly filled the rest of the room with his dance. All thoughts of melodies and beats were swept clean as Jihoon watched the blond move. Jihoon watched with an open mouth, wondering how someone could be that good.

Jihoon knew talent when he saw it, and the one dancing in front of him was oozing with it. It must have taken years to get that good, but there wasn’t only that. Jihoon knew the blond must have been born with the talent. The way his body moved with such strength and fluidity, Jihoon had never seen it done before.

When the blond was done, he bowed to the panelist and returned to his part of the wall. It was only then that Jihoon knew he regretted not being in the practice room to hear the song that must have perfectly matched to the dance.

He then remembered that the practice room was actually recorded daily, and he knew he was going to have to view the video of the dance auditions later.

Now that the blond had caught his attention Jihoon watched him for a while. He already knew that the blond would pass, seeing the small nod from Seungcheol. Jihoon tilted his head in wonder of why someone that great would want to be a dance instructor when he could be so much more.

As he sat there, thinking about the performance he has just witness, Jihoon realized something. His inspiration for writing and composing had come back to him. It was like an electric buzz flowed through his body, ready for anything. He knew what his song was missing. Jumping off the bar stool, Jihoon practically skipped back to his studio.

There was a huge grin on his face as he bowed to those he passed in the hall. Yet he didn’t even know who they all were as his mind was on something else completely.

A few hours later, and one more coffee brought up to him, Jihoon was feeling pretty good about himself. With his eyes closed, Jihoon was listening to his piece, when a vibration against his thigh brought him back to reality.

Bringing out his forgotten phone from his pocket, he unlocked the screen to see a text from Seungcheol. Jihoon smiled as he brought up Seungcheol’s message.

From: Seungcheol

Are you still stuck?

To: Seungcheol

I actually found some inspiration.

And I finished the song.

From: Seungcheol

Yay! Congrats!

I didn’t want to say it, but I was getting worried.

The boys needed a song to start practicing soon.

To: Seungcheol

I know, which is why I hid in my hole all day.

Are you done with auditions?

From: Seungcheol

Yup. I’m sure you’re curious.

Did you want to meet up on the 7th floor

to watch the video?

To: Seungcheol

I’ll see you in five minutes.

 

Jihoon beat Seungcheol to the room, and while he waited, he found the video he wanted. Once Seungcheol opened up the door, Jihoon knew why he was late. A smell wafted into the room and Jihoon turned around to feel his stomach call out for food. When was the last time he ate?

As if his own stomach had a mouth of it’s own, Jihoon’s stomach grumbled.

Seungcheol smiled, “I knew it would be this way.”

“Is that chicken?” Jihoon’s eyes widen with expectations.

Seungcheol grinned, setting the chicken takeout carton in front of Jihoon.

“Eat,” Seungcheol demanded, “I’ll show you all the ones who I thought were good.”

Jihoon didn’t need anymore instructions as he grabbed a piece, savoring every bite.

While Seungcheol went through a list of people, Jihoon nodded and agreed to what was being said. Just as he figured, they were on the same page with everything.

Over the years Jihoon had to learn how to be patient, knowing that he couldn’t be sloppy with the company's name to uphold. Which was what he was doing now, because even though Jihoon knew he couldn’t lie to himself, he was waiting for the blond to show up.

“You’re going to enjoy this last one,” Seungcheol said, grinning, “He has a lot of potential, and it’s a no brainer, but I know you’d want to see it.”

Jihoon nodded and knew who it had to be. He watched as the blond showed up on screen.

The blond bowed and introduced himself, “Hello, my name is Kwon Hoshi.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

If anyone is curious as to what performance Hoshi gave during his auditions : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBG1lb06Kn0&list=LLORznpgdEEFX3twcMo3quqg&index=8