i know

the best of me is you

kwon soonyoung, who is always avoiding the looks of other people, their stares and their smiles at him, cannot be included in a place where interacting is a very important role. that's impossible.

his roommate, seungkwan, is the one to blame. he remembers the kid begging him to join this performance which soonyoung doesn't even need to know about, he did not sign up for this.

his likes involve staying inside the chemistry laboratory trying to figure out ways on how to save a life with the use of colored liquid, gas and solids. again, he did not signed up for college to twirl around a stage for people to see.

"hyung you're spacing out! are you okay?" soonyoung hears his roommate worriedly ask him. he attempts to smile naturally and tell seungkwan he's alright but his fake enjoyment is visible even with his eyes fainting to non existent. "okay, well, if you have any problem with the choreography please let us know. you know i'm really grateful that you agreed to doing this!"

"y-yeah no problem!"

 


soonyoung tries one more time, turning and lifting his arms and legs properly, but he's not that flexible. he believes he has strained himself for staying in the same place for a couple of years. shrugging the thoughts away, he looks at the others on his side, practicing intently. he decided that he's been working hard, and it's only been thirty minutes since he started, so he sits on the floor and open his bag to grab his water bottle.

 

"i thought you'd never show up!" he hears a familiar voice excitingly said those words. soonyoung thinks seungkwan must've invited most of his friends to join this project of his. he doesn't deny the fact that he's envious of the freshman that he already has a couple of friends from other department, and here he is having jisoo as his one and only close friend.

"sorry, prof was explaining something for our first major project and i kinda forgot where the theatre is." soonyoung's ears and eyes perk up to the person speaking. he can tell who this is but just to be sure.

 

when he looks back, he sees seungkwan's small figure being towered by kim mingyu. he hasn't seen him this close in a while. soonyoung always seeing him playing in the field for a couple of times but never get the chance to talk to him. soonyoung doubts mingyu remembers their first encounter, it's been two months. he makes a whining sound without him knowing and turns back to look at his bag.

 

 

"hey," he hears someone whisper, sitting beside him. "glad to see i'm not the only one being dragged by seungkwan here."

soonyoung looks back at the boy, blinking rapidly and processing the whole situation before speaking. "uh, yea, i'm glad to help."

he hears mingyu chuckle attractively after his reply. mingyu saw the curious gaze soonyoung was giving him so he coughs and smile at him, "are you? i don't know but, i'm a bit uncomfortable being here."

"why?" soonyoung speak without even thinking of it. he wants to ask mingyu why he feels that way when, in fact, he's part of the school's soccer team which means people know him, people watch him. how can he feel uncomfortable right now?

"well, you see hyung. i never like the attention. i like soccer because i like the sport, i never wanted anyone to watch me do it. but then i know i couldn't do it without people watching me or else i won't be successful for doing it. you get me?"

soonyoung gets him, but it was still very confusing. why pick something that will make you confused of you own emotions? he really doesn't get it. this is why he loves being a science major, he loves it and he doesn't feel uncomfortable with it.

"how about you, hyung? are you sure you're okay here?" he hears mingyu speak again, with a hint of concern if he's not mistaken; he hopes not.

"uh, w-well, you know-" he gets cut off when seungkwan yells announcing that break is over, that they should get back to practicing their parts before they proceed to the whole performance. soonyoung wonders when did the break even started, so he tilts his head innocently in confusion. mingyu notices this and laugh at how cute soonyoung looked.

 

"what? is there something wrong?" soonyoung looks at mingyu, his face turning red from embarrassment all of a sudden and mingyu finds himself apologizing for making the elder this way.

"n-nothing hyung, you just- never mind." he straighten himself and stands up from where he was seated, "let's get to work, get this over with."