Convincing Chen

Surreptitious

Baekhyun entered the cafeteria and looked around for his friends. "Hey, Baekhyun. Where's Chen?" Chanyeol asked. "Playing outside with his friends." Baekhyun said. "Oh." Chanyeol said. "Why?" Baekhyun asked. "Nothing." Chanyeol shook his head.

 

Meanwhile, Chen's ball game was interrupted by a random kid. "Hey you. Come with me." He said. "What? No way!" Chen said, struggling from his grip. "Listen to me. I am older." He said. "I don't care! Let go of me!" Chen yelled. He eventually got out of his hold and ran inside. The strange guy followed him. He ran all the way to the cafeteria and to Baekhyun and his friends. "Do you guys know this person? He's trying to kidnap me!" He told them. "Oh my gosh! Who?" Baekhyun asked. "I don't know." Chen said right before the guy came up to them. "Jongdae!" He yelled. "How do you know my name!?" Chen asked him. "Those other boys told me." He said. "Oh, hi Kris!" Luhan waved. "Kris?" Chen asked. "Yeah. He's from the village." Chanyeol said. "He's the kid, right?" Kris asked. "Yes, that's Chen." Chanyeol told him. "Why didn't you tell me they sent people after me!?" Chen asked. "I didn't know." Chanyeol shrugged. "Wait, is Jongdae some sort of criminal?" Sehun asked. "More or less." Luhan answered. "I'm not a criminal!" Chen said. "Does this kid have two names?" Kris asked. "No, my name is Jongdae." Chen said. "Why do they call you Chen?" Kris asked. "His name is Chen but he changed it to Jongdae for some reason." Chanyeol explained. "I didn't change anything. Chen is dead." Chen told them. "Did you kill him?" Kris wondered. Chen sighed. "Just come with me." Kris said. "I don't want to." Chen said. "Queen's orders." Kris let him know. "I know she wants to see me. I don't want to see her." Chen said and everyone, except Baekhyun, Sehun and Kai, gasped. "Not like that! I just don't want to return to the village!" Chen said, trying to salvage his mistake. "Too bad. The Queen lives in the village and she never leaves." Kris said. "This is interesting." Sehun whispered to Kai. "Who are they?" Kris asked. "Random kids we hang out with." Chanyeol told him. "I thought we were friends." Sehun said. "Did I say too much?" Kris asked. "I think we're good." Luhan said. "But, I mentioned the Queen." He whispered. "Everyone has a Queen." Luhan told him. "We're wasting time! Look, kid. Come with me back to the village. Right now." Kris demanded. Chen kicked his shin and stuck his tongue out. "Don't want to." He said before running away. "Ugh. Damn kid." Kris cursed before going after him. "I'm confused. What crime did Jongdae commit?" Sehun wondered. "Don't worry about it." Chanyeol told him before getting a text. He replied to it. "Luhan, go find Kris and tell him to stop chasing Chen around." Chanyeol told him. "Why?" Luhan wondered. Chanyeol showed him the text and Luhan got up. "So cool that they have a Queen. Do you have a King too?" Sehun asked. "Sehun, please forget what happened today." Kyungsoo said. "Why? It's cool." Sehun said. "Because this is supposed to be personal matters." Kyungsoo explained. "Oh okay." Sehun smiled to let him know he understood. Kyungsoo smiled back before looking at Kai with a neutral face. "You too." He said. "I get it." Kai told him. They glared at each other.

 

Luhan eventually found Kris walking on the streets outside of school. "Kris!" He called out. "Here to help? With your move, he can't run away." Kris said. "Actually, the Queen wants you back in the village." Luhan told him. "Really?" Kris asked. "Yeah. Also, why are you walking around?" He wondered. "I didn't want anyone to see me." He explained. "What about Chen?" He asked. "Don't worry about him. Just go back to the village." Luhan told him. "Of course." Kris said before running to the back of a building. Luhan went back to school.

 

"Why don't you text him?" Chanyeol wondered. "Jongdae doesn't have a phone." Baekhyun told him. "Oh..." Chanyeol realized. Luhan then came back. "Where's Chen?" Chanyeol asked. Luhan shrugged. "When I found Kris, he was walking around aimlessly." He told them.

 

After school, Baekhyun was at Chanyeol's house. "I don't think he's going to come here. He doesn't trust me anymore." Chanyeol said. "Do you know where else he goes? Where he lives?" Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol shook his head. Then, Baekhyun got a text from Kai. He told him they found Jongdae's friend and he had an idea where he was. Baekhyun immediately got up and ran out without saying a word. "See you later..." Chanyeol said to himself.

 

Baekhyun ran all the way to the school where Sehun, Kai and Tao were. "You know where Jongdae is!?" Baekhyun asked. "Well, I know where he hangs out after school." Tao told him. "Take us!" Baekhyun almost yelled in his face. "Sorry..." Baekhyun apologized.

 

They went to the forest and searched for him. Tao left after he led them, still afraid of the Lightning. "Jongdae...?" Baekhyun called out a little hopelessly. "Why would Jongdae hang out in a weird forest?" Sehun asked. "How should I know?" Kai answered. Then, they heard a noise and got scared. "Jongdae!" Baekhyun worriedly yelled, hoping it was just him. Something fell in front of them and they screamed. "Oh... It's just a squirrel..." Baekhyun let them know. Sehun laughed at Kai for also screaming. "I didn't scream. You were so loud, you're hearing things." Kai said, making Sehun laugh again. "Jongdae?" Baekhyun called out again. "Baekhyun?" They heard. "Yes! Is that you, Jongdae?" Baekhyun asked. "Who's with you?" He asked. "Sehun and Kai." Baekhyun told him. Chen got out of the shadows. "How did you find me?" He asked. "Tao told us about this place." Baekhyun let him know. "Chanyeol didn't send you, right? Where's Kris?" He asked. "They gave up on you, I was worried about you." Baekhyun told him. "I'm fine." He told him. "I don't like this place. Let's go to Chanyeol's house." Baekhyun told him. "I'm not going to his house again." Chen said. "Okay, come to my house then." He said and Chen agreed.

 

"Do you want to explain why you don't want to go to your village?" Baekhyun wondered. They were sitting on his bed. Kai and Sehun were sitting on the floor, playing video games. "I don't want to remind myself." Chen told him. "I understand." Baekhyun said. "I just wish everyone would forget about me. Pretend like I'm not a part of the curse, I'm just a normal person who knows nothing about them. But, they are so caught up with trying to remind me of every single thing I did." Chen explained. "I'm sorry. That must be annoying." Baekhyun said. "You're so lucky, Baekhyun. I wish I was like you. You have the choice to erase your memory of everything and not even know us at all. I don't." Chen said. "The difference here is I don't want to. In fact, I'd love to have a power myself." Baekhyun made sure to whisper that part. "I'd love to be normal." Chen said. "If only we could change places." Baekhyun said. "No. I don't want you to go through that." Chen said. "Through what?" Baekhyun wondered. Chen looked distraught so he put an arm around him and hugged him. "No, there's nothing wrong with me." Chen told him. "Right. Sorry." Baekhyun retracted his arm. "If only you could convince them to call me Jongdae though. That would be a great start." Chen told him. "It's like if you told me to call you Chen. It would be weird for me." Baekhyun said. "I don't care. Chen is gone. I'm Jongdae." Chen said firmly. "Okay, I will try my best." Baekhyun told him.

 

The next day, they were all at school. During lunch, Chen was playing outside again. "Excuse me." He heard someone say. He turned around and saw an innocent looking boy. "Who are you?" Chen asked. "Please follow me." The boy said. Chen wanted to get angry at him for not answering his question but he couldn't. The boy just looked too cute for him to get mad at. "To where?" Chen asked. The boy tilted his head a bit. "Inside this building." He said. He turned around and started walking. Chen just followed him. The boy walked to a hallway Chen's never been to. They kept walking until the boy suddenly stopped. "This is where you wanted to bring me?" Chen asked.  Someone came from the turn and walked towards them. Chen widened his eyes a bit when he recognized her. She was a tall, beautiful lady with long black hair. He felt himself unconsciously bow as she came closer. "Hello, Chen." She greeted. "Mama! What are you doing here?" He asked a bit nervous. "Why did you leave, Chen? Why did you leave without a word? After I finished your mother's request, I was going to call you in to make sure you were okay. You were going to live with other kids, whose parents left them, in a big house together. We were going to take care of you." She told him. "I'm sorry, Mama. I got scared." He admit. "Scared of what, dear? There's nothing to be afraid of." She let him know. "I know it seems foolish, but you heard what my mother said about me. You must understand." He said. "I do." She said. "The things she said. They hurt me. I wanted to forget everything. I wanted a new life." He told her. "Trust me, Chen. You're not alone. There are others like you, others who hate their powers. Unfortunately, there is nothing I or anyone can do." She told him. "I know." He said. "Come back to the village. You'll be happier there." She told him. "I'm sorry, Mama. I don't want to. I know if I see my mom again, I'll break down." He told her. "You won't see your mom. Those whose memories we've erased live in a separate part of the village." She told him. "After what I did to my dad..." He started. "People wouldn't stop talking about it..." He told her. "Nothing to worry about. After you went missing, everyone was worried. I'm sure they'll only be happy to see you." She let him know. "What happens if I go back to the village?" He asked. "You'll have a home." She told him. He teared up at that and she opened her arms. He got up and ran into her embrace. "Thank you, Mama." He cried. "Of course. You know we love you." She told him. After a while, he stopped crying. "Why did you come here? You don't normally leave the village." He wondered. "After Chanyeol told me he found you, I told him I wanted to talk to you but you didn't come so I sent Kris. Chanyeol told me you kept running away. That's when I realized something was up. So, I decided to come here myself." She told him. "Thank you." He smiled and she smiled back. "Would you like to leave right away?" She asked. "Yes please." He told her. She looked at the boy who brought Chen here. He had been politely standing there the whole time. "Ready to go?" She asked him. He bowed his head. "Whenever you are." He answered.

 

"Weird. Tao said Jongdae followed a weird boy and he never saw him again." Baekhyun said. "You don't think he was actually kidnapped, right?" Sehun wondered. "Jongdae followed a weird boy. So, he willingly went with him. That's not kidnapping, Sehun." Kai told him. "The Queen probably just sent other people." Luhan shrugged. "What if she didn't?" Baekhyun asked. "What if you didn't worry so much?" Luhan asked him, earning a glare. "Yeah, that's what I thought." Luhan said. "I'll just ask if the Queen has any idea where he is." Chanyeol said. "That's weird. The Queen isn't there..." Chanyeol said. "The Queen can take bathroom breaks too." Luhan told him. "No, they said she left." Chanyeol clarified. "She's probably on a morning stroll." He said. "It's noon." Kyungsoo told him and he shrugged.

 

After school, they were all in the hall. "She's back but she doesn't know where he is." Chanyeol said. "What!? So he was really kidnapped after all?" Baekhyun asked. "Nah. Chen wouldn't get kidnapped." Luhan told him. "Maybe he's in that forest again?" Kai suggested. "What forest?" Chanyeol wondered. "Some forest Jongdae hangs out in." Baekhyun told him. "Hangs out in, huh?" He repeated. "Can I come with you?" He asked. "I think he's still mad at you." Baekhyun said. "Nah, we're cool." Chanyeol said, earning a weird look from most of them. "Are you sure? He would have told me." Baekhyun said. "I'm sure he forgot." Chanyeol said. "Well, okay. If you say so." Baekhyun agreed.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were in the forest now. "So this is where Chen stays." Chanyeol said, looking around. "Yeah. It's weird. I don't know why." Baekhyun said. "I think it's better if we split up." Chanyeol suggested. "No way. I'm too scared to walk around here alone." Baekhyun told him. "Really? Okay then." Chanyeol gave up. After a while of walking, Chanyeol found a tree with a hole. He looked inside and saw a bag, a pillow, a blanket, and a stuffed toy. He recognized the stuffed toy. Chen used to carry it with him everywhere when they were kids. He put everything in the bag then put the bag in his school bag. "What are you looking at?" Baekhyun said. "Oh, I found a hole." Chanyeol told him. "Cool!" He said, crawling inside. "You think Jongdae ever lays in here? I would! For like, 10 seconds..." He said, immediately getting up and checking for spiders. "Oh, does he!" Chanyeol repeated.

 

They went back to Chanyeol's house. Kyungsoo and Luhan were there. "Baekhyun! What's Sehun's phone number?" Luhan asked him. "Sehun doesn't have a phone." Baekhyun told him. "What?" Luhan said incredulously. "Why didn't you ask him earlier?" Baekhyun wondered. "I forgot. When I can see him, I don't need to text him." Luhan explained. "Glad you two are getting along." He said, looking at Kyungsoo. "What?" He asked. "A shame you aren't close with Kai." Baekhyun said. "How can I get closer to a jerk?" Kyungsoo asked him. "Come on, he's not a jerk! He can get mean sometimes, but he's cool." Baekhyun tried to assure him. "Sometimes? I'm pretty sure he hates me." Kyungsoo said. "No, he doesn't." Baekhyun told him. "Yeah right." Kyungsoo said. "If he hated you, he'd talk bad about you behind your back. As he did for Chanyeol." Baekhyun explained. "He hated me?" Chanyeol asked. "Don't pretend like you didn't know." Baekhyun told him. "Yeah? What does he say about me?" Kyungsoo wondered. "Absolutely nothing!" Baekhyun told him. "So, am I nonexistent to him?" Kyungsoo questioned. "No, that's not it. He normally doesn't talk about anyone unless he hates them." Baekhyun told him. "So I should feel loved?" Kyungsoo joked. "Not that far." Baekhyun let him know and he nodded. "Where's Chen?" Luhan asked. "We didn't find him." Baekhyun said. "Where is he?" Luhan asked. "We don't know. If only someone knew where he lived." Baekhyun said.

 

Chen was actually in the village right now. The Queen had helped him with a place to stay and everything he needed. He begged the Queen not to tell anyone where he was and she agreed. The people who knew him, all came to tell him how much they missed him and how worried they were. Unfortunately for him, when he was greeting everybody, someone saw him. When all the villagers left, he suddenly heard some say: "Kid with 2 names?" He looked up and was surprised to see Kris. "You scared me." Chen told him. "What should I call you?" He asked. "At this point, I really don't care." Chen admit. "The villagers called you Chen so, I'll stick with that." He told him. "Why are you here after that speech you gave about not wanting to return?" He asked. "I talked to the Queen." Chen said. "Oh, okay." Kris said, nodding. "Do you need anything? I feel like I should do something." Kris said. "No, why?" Chen asked. "I don't know." Kris admit. "Okay, I'm going to go now." Chen said. "Alright." Kris said.

 

Baekhyun was sitting on the couch, drinking a juice. He was flipping through the channels, finding nothing to watch. Chanyeol came in and sat next to him. "Do you think he's alright?" Baekhyun wondered. "I think you're worrying too much." Chanyeol admit. "Why do you guys keep saying that?" Baekhyun asked. "Well, think about it. If anyone tried to kidnap him, he can zap them with lightning." Chanyeol told him. "Do you guys relate everything to your powers?" Baekhyun asked. "We kind of have to." He said. "Why can't you think like, your poor friend is in trouble and we have to find him?" Baekhyun wondered. "Because, he's not. He can take care of himself. Most of us can." Chanyeol said. Baekhyun glared at him. "What?" Chanyeol asked. Suddenly they heard a knock on the door. They went to answer it. It was Kris. "Hey, do you guys know where Chen is?" He asked. "No, why?" Chanyeol asked. "Thought so. He's in the village." Kris told them. "But the Queen said she didn't know where he was." Chanyeol said. "Then she doesn't." Kris said as if it was the most obvious thing. "Is Baekhyun allowed in the village?" Chanyeol asked. "I think so." Kris shrugged. "Good enough. We'll be back!" Chanyeol yelled to the other members of the house before leaving with Baekhyun.

 


Please comment! I really want to hear your thoughts!!