Chen The Lightning Boy

Surreptitious

 

 

A woman screams. Lights are flashing everywhere. "Chen! Stop! It hurts!" Yelled the woman. "I'm sorry, Mom! I don't know how to stop it!" Chen cried. Lightning was flying out of Chen everywhere. His brother ran away but his mother was trying to stop him. "Doesn't it hurt you?" His mother asked. "I don't feel anything." He told her. She stared at him. She gets shocked again and screams. "Mom! I'm sorry!" He walked a bit over to her and she yelled. "Stay back! Don't touch me!" She got up and ran out the door, leaving her crying son behind.

 

One day, Chen was in The House at the centre of the village, where the Queen stays. He heard from villagers that his mother was here. He snuck into the main room and saw his mom and brother, on their knees, in front of the Queen. "Please, you don't know what it's like! He's a monster! He killed his father and I don't want him to do the same to his brother!" He heard his mom cry. "I understand. Please, you need not worry. I'll take away all your problems." The Queen assured her. She told one of her guards to bring someone in. A little boy, probably only a year older than Chen, came in. He bowed to her and she smiled. "Please serve this woman and her child." She told him and he went to kneel in front of Chen's mom. "This won't hurt." He assured her. "I don't care! Just do it!" The mother was sobbing. The little boy nodded and put his hands in front of her forehead. After a few short seconds, the mother fell unconscious. The little boy caught her and placed her gently on the floor before doing the same to her son. Chen watched the whole thing with tears in his eyes. He ran away, having seen enough. He ran to his home and packed his backpack with clothes, some food, and his favourite plushy and ran away from the village.


6 years later, Chen was hugging his knees and crying. He was sitting under a tree in the middle of a forest. After running away from the village, changing his name to Jongdae, and attending a new school, he thought he may have almost completely forgotten everything. That is, until Chanyeol decided to find him. In the village, everybody knew everybody. At least, the adults knew the other adults. The kids were still new to remembering everyone. Chen especially didn't know a lot of people because he ran away before he knew many people. He only knew his family, and some of their friends' kids. This includes; Chanyeol, Luhan, Kyungsoo and someone else called Minseok. He used to play with them before his powers were out of control. He didn't want to see them; they brought back all the memories from the village. He thought he played it off cool, pretending he didn't know them but, he exploded when they persisted. Maybe he should skip school for a while, so they give up on him. But, school is the only pleasure he gets. He's made friends and hanging out with them really helps him forget everything. It was getting dark and he decided to go home. It was relatively easy to find the tree he's been staying in. He's lived in this forest for 6 years after all. Only eating at school, thank goodness they served food, and taking extra food home on Friday to eat during the weekend. His life wasn't easy, but he's used to it. He went in the hole of the tree and layed down on the blanket and pillow he bought. He's been helping teachers out after school for money. He doesn't get paid much, but anything is good. He's saving up to be able to buy somewhere to stay. He knows that'll take a long time but there's no rush. He went to sleep and anticipated tomorrow, as he always does.

 

He went to school the next day, hoping not to bump into the undesirable. While walking in the hallway, he saw one of his friends. "Tao." He whispered. "Huh? What's wrong?" Tao wondered. "Shh!" He said loudly. "Okay, okay!" Tao whispered. "Follow me." Chen said, pulling his hand and taking him out of the school. "Where are we going?" He asked. "We're ditching." Chen told him. "Alright, you finally know the right way to live!" Tao told him with a smirk. "Don't draw attention." Chen told him. "Right, sorry. You're clearly the expert here. I've never ditched before and you do this for a living." Tao joked. "Shut up." Chen told him. Chen dragged him all the way to his forest. "Wow, how do you know such a cool place? Do you live nearby?" Tao asked him. "Yes." Chen answered. "How close?" Tao wondered. "Very close." Chen told him. "I hope you don't mind, because I'm coming here whenever I decide to skip school." Tao told him. "Sure." Chen shrugged. "So, why did you want to skip all of a sudden?" Tao asked him. "Let's just say I ran into some old friends, except those friends aren't exactly close with me." He told him. "So, they're not your friends?" Tao said. "Yeah." Chen said. "Well, whatever. This is better. Let's always skip together." Tao told him. "I'm just skipping for a few days so that they stop chasing me around." Chen told him. "You're skipping for a few days!? We are gonna have fun together!" Tao told him.

 

Later, Chen was hugging his knees in front of a tree and Tao was under another tree next to him, eating chips. "If you had told me first, I would have gotten my phone. Oh, well." Tao said. "Where did you get the chips from?" Chen asked. "I always carry food in my pockets. Why do you think I wear such baggy clothes?" Tao asked him. Chen smiled at his friend’s cleverness. "Smart, right? Suho never noticed it." Tao said. "Is there a reason you skip school all the time?" Chen asked him. "Same reason I do everything else. To piss Suho off." Tao told him. "What did Suho ever do to you?" Chen asked. "Well, he’s always telling me what to do. You know how much I hate that." Tao explained. "He has to. He does that to everyone." Chen told him. "I know, still no reason for me to listen to him." Tao said. "Well, you shouldn’t skip school." Chen told him. "But I can continue to do everything else?" Tao joked. "I don’t care about that. You can break all the rules you want, but you should still go to school." Chen told him. "School is important, you know? I almost didn’t continue going to school. Meeting you made me like it. So, I think, as your friend, I should make sure you do well." Chen explained. Tao smiled. "Thanks. I’ll go to school, but don’t expect me to do anything else!" Tao warned him. Chen smiled and agreed.

 

A few days later, Chen was on his way to school, hoping he had nothing to worry about. He was on his way to class when he saw someone. "Baekhyun?" He accidentally says out loud. Baekhyun turns to look at him and is equally surprised. "Jongdae!" He says happily, going to him. "I didn't know you came to this school." Chen said. "I didn't know you came here either!" Baekhyun said. "Hi, Sehun. Hi, Kai." He greeted. "Hi!" Sehun said and Kai waved. "Were you here last year too?" Baekhyun asked and Chen said he did. "How did we not see each other?" Baekhyun wondered. "We have to catch up. Is it just me or did you get a lot thinner?" Baekhyun wondered. "I probably did. You know I'm not a big eater." Chen said. "That's a lie." Baekhyun laughed and Chen laughed too. "Come sit with us during lunch." Baekhyun told him before they all went to class.

 

During lunch, Baekhyun was with Chanyeol, Luhan and Kyungsoo when he saw Chen entering the cafeteria and waved at him to get his attention. When Chen was close enough Baekhyun greeted him. "Hey, Jongdae, these are my friends too." He told him. "Jongdae?" Chanyeol repeated before he, Luhan and Kyungsoo turned their heads simultaneously to look at the new boy. "What!?" Chen almost yelled. "Chen's your friend?" Chanyeol asked. "You're friends with them!?" Chen asked at the same time. Baekhyun was really confused. "Did you say Chen? That's Chen!?" Baekhyun asked. "You've known him since middle school!?" Chanyeol asked. They turned again but he was gone. "Ugh, you scared him!" Baekhyun said, getting up to look for him. Chanyeol got up and followed him.

 

Baekhyun found Chen behind the school. "Jongdae, there you are!" He said. "Why didn't you tell me you were friends with them?" Chen asked him. "I didn't know you knew them." Baekhyun said. Then, Chanyeol found them. When Chen saw him, he rolled his eyes. "You didn't have to run away. We're not going to do anything to you." Chanyeol told him. "How convincing." Chen said sarcastically. "Why are you guys like this?" Baekhyun asked. "I just wanted to ask him a few questions." Chanyeol said. "Luhan held me against my will and you took me somewhere no one could see us and I was clearly uncomfortable. You're lucky I didn't report you to the teachers." Chen told him. "If you cooperated, that wouldn't have happened." Chanyeol told him. "I don't want to answer your questions!" Chen told him. "Can you guys stop arguing? I just want us all to be friends." Baekhyun told them. "I'm sorry, Baekhyun. I can't be friends with them." Chen told him. "Why not?" Baekhyun asked him. "They bring me bad memories." He said. "What's so bad about the memories we shared? We had fun together!" Chanyeol said. "I'm not talking about the memories I shared with you. I'm talking about the memories you remind me of." Chen said. "What do I remind you of?" Chanyeol asked. "I'm not going to tell you." Chen said. "Is it because of him? It's cool he knows." Chanyeol said. "What do you mean he knows?" Chen asked. "He knows about us." Chanyeol said. "Us? You're mistaken." Chen told him. "Whatever, Chen! He knows about our abilities!" Chanyeol told him. "What? Why?" Chen asked. "Long story you don't need to worry about." Chanyeol told him. "Well, anyway, he's not the reason I won't tell you. I refuse to tell you." Chen clarified. "Alright fine. Keep your secrets. But can you put them behind you?" Chanyeol asked. "Of course not!" Chen said. "Please, Jongdae." Baekhyun begged. Chen looked at him. "I want to be your friend, and I want to be his. I don't want my friends to hate each other." Baekhyun told him. Chen took a look at Chanyeol and then back at Baekhyun. "I don't hate him." Chen said. "So you'll go back to being his friend?" Baekhyun asked. "I can't." Chen said, looking down. Suddenly he felt something. Baekhyun held his hand. He looked up at a smiling Baekhyun. "It's okay. You don't have to force yourself to do something you can't do. I won't make you." Chen stared at Baekhyun for a few seconds before static came out of his hand. Baekhyun immediately retracted his hand and whined at the pain. "I'm so sorry!" Chen apologized. "Ah, I'm fine..." Baekhyun told him. "You're lying! Your hand is burning!" Chen yelled. "Go to the nurse's office." Chanyeol told him. "What am I supposed to tell her?" Baekhyun asked. "Are you kidding? This is the easiest thing to mask. Just say you shocked yourself with a plug or something." Chanyeol told him.

 

After classes were done, they came to check on him. "How are you doing?" Chen asked. "It doesn't hurt." Baekhyun told them. "You're lying." Chen told him. Baekhyun chuckled nervously. "Idiot, why did you hold his hand? Did you forget?" Chanyeol asked him. "Well, I didn't know that would happen." Baekhyun said. "How did you think it happened? He's just like me only ten times worse." Chanyeol told him. "Hey!" Chen yelled. "Shut up, you know what I'm talking about." Chanyeol told him. "The nurse told me to stay home for a few days." Baekhyun told them. "You're staying with me!" They both said at the same time before glaring at each other. All of a sudden, Chen remembered he lived in a forest. "Go with Chanyeol, I can't take care of you." Chen said. "Chanyeol, can he stay with us?" Baekhyun asked. "What do you mean, us? You're staying home alone. I'm going to school." Chanyeol said. "Great, let him stay with me." Baekhyun said, surprising Chanyeol. "He needs to go to school too." Chanyeol said. "Don't worry about me." Chen told him. "Yeah, don't worry about him." Baekhyun told him. "Fine." Chanyeol agreed. Baekhyun and Chen smiled at each other.

 

"Wow, Chanyeol's house is bigger than I thought." Chen said, looking in all the rooms. "I know! It's so cool! I've never been here alone though, it feels weird." Baekhyun said. "Weird? I feel like I'm trespassing." Chen told him. They looked through the house for a bit before deciding to go to the kitchen. "I guess we should cook something if we're hungry." Baekhyun thought. "Or we could just order out." Chen suggested. Baekhyun gave Chen a look as if he just said the smartest thing ever.

 

Baekhyun and Chen were now playing video games and eating fried chicken and pizza that they ordered. "This is life." Baekhyun said. "You should pretend like you're never healed so we can keep coming back here." Chen told him. "I can't do that. That's lying." Baekhyun said. "But don't you want this?" Chen wondered. "Of course. We can still get it. We can do this with Chanyeol." Baekhyun let him know. "I wanted us to be alone." Chen said. "I know you don't like Chanyeol but, you can tolerate him, right?" Baekhyun asked. "I like Chanyeol, there is nothing wrong with him." Chen told him. "But..." Baekhyun started. "It's just that he's related with other things." Chen told him. "Like what?" Baekhyun wondered. "My home. My mom. Everything I want to forget." Chen told him. "If you want to forget it, why don't you? Chanyeol told me they can erase memories too." Baekhyun said. "They won't erase mine. We're not allowed to erase our minds. Also, I don't want to see anyone. I don't want to return to the village." Chen told him. "Well, I'm sorry. I know there's nothing I can do but, I'm trying." Baekhyun told him. "You shouldn't worry, really." Chen assured him. "I just want you to be happy." Baekhyun told him. "I am happy." Chen told him. "Really?" Baekhyun asked. "I went through so much, everything is better now. I have friends, I met you again." Chen told him. "Jongdae...I'm happy I met you again too." Baekhyun told him.

 


Comments are my favourite thing, the more I see, the quicker a chapter will come up!