Friday

What Will It Take...?

Minhyuk ran the edge of the folded paper against his finger as he walked towards Hyunwoo's locker. He was a few minutes earlier than the last few days. He had a simple plan outlined in his mind, and he wouldn't deviate from it. He would drop the letter through the crack in Hyunwoo's locker and leave. Plain and simple. He would be there and gone before Hyunwoo came. He hoped Hyunwoo would read it alone and choose to talk to him later or ignore him for the rest of the year. Either way, Minhyuk wouldn't have to keep confronting him to no end.

He rounded the corner to Hyunwoo's locker and stopped short in his tracks.

Hyunwoo stood leaning against his locker, one arm crossed against his chest, staring down at his phone. Before Minhyuk could lose his nerve and turn around and leave, he looked up.

"Minhyuk!"

"Hyung... good morning," Minhyuk stammered.

"I have something to give you," they both said at the same time.

"You first," Minhyuk said.

"No, it can wait. You go first," Hyunwoo insisted.

Minhyuk hesitated for a moment, and then shoved the paper into Hyunwoo's hand. "Here. Now what were you going to give me?"

Hyunwoo ignored the question and unfolded the paper. "What's this?"

"Just a letter." Minhyuk took the paper, folded it up again, and gave it back to Hyunwoo. "You can read it later. Were you going to give me something?"

Hyunwoo unfolded the letter again. "Yeah, but I want to read this first."

"You can just give me whatever it is later then." Minhyuk started to walk away.

But Hyunwoo caught his wrist and pulled him back. "No, stay. I'll give it to you after I read the letter."

Minhyuk tried without success to twist his arm out of Hyunwoo's strong grip as Hyunwoo watched calmly. When he saw that Minhyuk had given up trying to run, he let go and started reading the letter.

"Dear Hyunwoo-hyung," Hyunwoo read aloud.

"Don't read it out loud!" Minhyuk cringed hearing the words he had written. He snatched at the letter, trying to make use of his long limbs, but Hyunwoo held him back with a thick arm. "Just let me read it to you then!"

At that, Hyunwoo relented and let Minhyuk take the letter back.

For a split second Minhyuk looked at the letter, his heartfelt words and confession, and considered tearing it into pieces and then running away and never speaking to Hyunwoo again. But he knew he wouldn't be able to take that. He had to know, even if it wasn't what he wanted. Besides, he had written the letter straightforward enough. He would get Hyunwoo's answer today.

"Dear Hyunwoo-hyung," Minhyuk repeated.

Hyunwoo listened attentively.

"There's something I want to tell you. Something that I've wanted to tell you for a long time. Something that I've been trying to tell you for the past few days. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. You're my most loveable hyung. You're always willing to help, always willing to share food. Whatever I ask for you're always willing to give me. And most of all, you're always willing to listen. But sometimes when I talk to you, and you're listening, you don't hear what I'm saying. You're oblivious as hell, and it's frustrating as hell. But maybe I should stop giving hints and just tell you." Minhyuk took a deep breath. "Hyung, I like you." He glanced up to see Hyunwoo with a serious look on his face before continuing. "I know that I told you yesterday, but I also know that you didn't get it." He ran a hand through his hair. "I like your kindness. I like your willingness to help. I like your hair. I like your muscles. I like the y face you make when you're angry. I like it when you try to act cute." Minhyuk his lips. "I like your lips. I like you... more than a friend. I like you romantically. I... want to be with you, romantically." Minhyuk lowered the letter and looked into Hyunwoo's eyes as he said the last sentence.

"I hope you like me too."

After he finished, Minhyuk hung his arm limply at his side and he stared down at the ground, waiting for Hyunwoo's answer. Hyunwoo hooked a finger under Minhyuk's chin and tilted his head up, forcing him to meet his gaze. For a long time, Hyunwoo didn't say anything, and Minhyuk felt disheartened. It must have shown in his eyes, since Hyunwoo instantly pulled him into his chest for a comforting hug.

"Minhyuk," Hyunwoo breathed into his ear. "You like me?"

Minhyuk almost laughed in frustration at having to confirm the fact for the sixth time that week, but he was too nervous. "Yes," he whispered.

Hyunwoo heard him and hugged him tighter. After a while, Minhyuk relaxed and sank into the embrace, resting his head on Hyunwoo's shoulder. His long arms wrapped around Hyunwoo's back, and he felt Hyunwoo's thumb the back of his neck. At this time, in this moment, he was content to be close to Hyunwoo, to soak up his presence, to breathe in his scent.

Minhyuk would've been happy to spend the rest of his life this way, snuggled up against Hyunwoo's chest, but all too soon, Hyunwoo pulled away.

"Minhyuk," he said again, chuckling this time, "I always thought you were cute..."

Minhyuk scrunched up his eyebrows, not sure where this was going. Hyunwoo reached into his backpack and pulled out a heart-shaped box of chocolates.

"Here." He handed it to Minhyuk. "I meant this as a gift to a friend, to show my appreciation for a dongsaeng who is always thinking of his hyung."

Minhyuk read the tag on the box: To Minhyuk, my most adorable dongsaeng.

"But," Hyunwoo continued, "now I mean it as an answer to a confession from a dongsaeng who likes his hyung... who likes him back."

Hyunwoo looked at him, a silent question in his eyes. Minhyuk stared back, his mind blank and his mouth parted open a bit. He had mentally prepared himself this morning to let go of his feelings if he had to, but he hadn't given any thought as to what he would do if his feelings were reciprocated.

Since Minhyuk wasn't responding, Hyunwoo moved slowly, giving him plenty of time and warning in case he was uncomfortable. He gently placed his hand on one of Minhyuk's pink-dusted cheeks and leaned in, face angled to the right. Minhyuk's eyes were wide, but Hyunwoo saw no dissent so he closed the distance between their lips. As they touched, Minhyuk closed his eyes.

Hyunwoo waited a few moments before slowly moving his lips against Minhyuk's. To Minhyuk, Hyunwoo's lips were just as thick and soft as they looked and he imagined, not that he would ever admit it. He wrapped his arms around Hyunwoo's neck and took the initiative to deepen the kiss, pouring in his long-felt emotions and pent-up frustration. Finally feeling Minhyuk respond, Hyunwoo smiled into the kiss.

Eventually the two broke apart for air. Minhyuk grinned widely from ear to ear, and it was Hyunwoo's turn to smile shyly.

"So," Hyunwoo broke the silence, sliding his hands into his pockets. "All those gifts, were you trying to tell me?"

Minhyuk shoved his shoulder lightly. "Yeah, and you never realized?"

Hyunwoo shook his head sheepishly. "I'll make it up to you..."

Minhyuk raised an eyebrow. "How?"

"Come on." Hyunwoo grabbed his hand. "I'll walk you to class."

Minhyuk smiled. "That's a start."