Tuesday

What Will It Take...?

The next day, Minhyuk was standing in front of Hyunwoo's locker with a red balloon in the shape of a heart. Minhyuk had declined to purchase the balloon proclaiming the word LOVE, but his heart-shaped balloon had virtually the same message. He wrapped the string around his fingers a few times so the balloon wouldn't escape. He added a few simple knots for good measure.

And when Hyunwoo appeared around the corner, he found Minhyuk desperately trying to untangle the string from his fingers.

"Hey Minhyuk." Hyunwoo stopped in front of his locker and turned the combination. "What's up?"

Minhyuk looked up, still trying to undo the knot of string around his hand. "Hi hyung! Hold on, I'm just trying to untie this."

"Why did you tie the string to your hand?" Hyunwoo asked. He dug around in his backpack and took out a pair of scissors.

"I didn't. Well, not on purpose," Minhyuk said. "I didn't want the balloon to fly away."

"Oh." Hyunwoo cut the string off Minhyuk's hand, careful to avoid cutting his fingers.

"No!" Minhyuk yelled.

Too late, Hyunwoo realized that he had cut the balloon free. He swore and jumped into the air to try and recapture the balloon, but he felt it brush past the tips of his fingers and rise higher and higher. He jumped a few more times in vain, and then gave up. Minhyuk watched his heart shrink into a small dot in the sky and then disappear into the clouds.

"Uh..." Hyunwoo sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Did you need that?"

Minhyuk nodded slowly.

"Oh. I'm sorry," Hyunwoo apologized. "Were you going to give it to someone?"

"Yeah..." Minhyuk bit his lip. "I was going to give it to you."

"Oh." Hyunwoo said again. "I'm really sorry, I'll make it up to you," he promised.

Minhyuk grinned suddenly. "Nah, it's okay. It was yours anyway." He thought for a second. "But I will tell you it was a solid two dollars worth of helium, rubber, and string."

Hyunwoo smiled and Minhyuk tried to keep his eyes off of those full lips. "I'll keep that in mind."

"You better," Minhyuk joked.

Hyunwoo smlied wider and there was a long pause as he tried to think of something to say. He finally settled on, "Well, I'd better get to class now... See you tomorrow, Minhyukkie!"