Thursday

What Will It Take...?

Minhyuk waited in front of Hyunwoo's locker for the fourth time that week, turning a smaller rectangular box over in his hands. He was running out of gift ideas to confess with, and it didn't seem like Hyunwoo was catching on anytime soon. He had opted to go for jewelry this time. And since he didn't want to go down on one knee and present a ring to Hyunwoo, and he didn't see Hyunwoo wearing a bracelet very often, Minhyuk had settled on a pair of circular diamond stud earrings.

He had a bit of an existential crisis, standing there waiting. What if Hyunwoo was dating Kihyun, and letting him have Minhyuk's chocolates was him trying to tell Minhyuk he wasn't interested? Or if Hyunwoo knew he was trying to confess, and the sweet smiles Minhyuk received were just that of a friend? Minhyuk's heart sank a little with the thought. But even if he was the type to be discouraged, he wasn't the type to give up.

Hyunwoo came as usual, books in hand. "Hey Minhyuk!"

"Morning hyung!" Minhyuk rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as he waited for Hyunwoo to put his books in the locker.

"Thank you for the chocolates yesterday," Hyungwoo said as he closed his locker.

Minhyuk smiled widely. "You liked them?"

Hyunwoo nodded. "Of course. I didn't get to try all of them though. Kihyunnie likes chocolate, and as a friend, I'm sort of obligated to share with him. But I still have some left at home, for myself." Eyes crinkling at the corners, he gave Minhyuk a charming smile.

Minhyuk grinned back, hanging on to the word "friend" in Hyunwoo's explanation. "I got you something," he said simply, revealing the small box in his hand.

"Again?" Hyunwoo accepted it in surprise. He turned the box over in his hands. "No 'to my most loveable hyung' this time?" he joked, pouting a little.

Minhyuk flushed and shook his head. "You know who it's to... I don't need to write it." He watched as Hyunwoo opened the box and his jaw dropped.

"Wow. Minhyuk, these are beautiful." Hyunwoo met his eyes with a both amazed and questioning gaze. "Why are you giving me all of these gifts? The chocolates yesterday, and now these earrings, they must've been expensive. Minhyuk, you really don't have to."

Minhyuk really hoped that wasn't a rejection. "I don't have to," he said. "But I want to."

"Why?" Hyunwoo repeated, in the same light curious tone that Minhyuk had gotten used to hearing from his oblivious hyung.

"Because," Minhyuk paused and looked into Hyunwoo's eyes, "I like you." He held his breath.

Hyunwoo held his gaze for a moment, eyes darting back and forth between both of Minhyuk's eyes. Then he drew Minhyuk close to his chest in a one-armed hug. “Minhyukkie, I like you too! You know you’re my favorite dongsaeng.”

“Not like that,” Minhyuk said, too quietly for Hyunwoo to hear.

“Can you help me put them in?” Hyunwoo asked.

Minhyuk carefully took off the backing, stuck the pin through the pierced hole of Hyunwoo’s ear, and clasped the back to the pin. As soon as both were in, Hyunwoo felt them with the tip of his fingers.

He smiled. "I like it."

Minhyuk smiled back faintly. "I'm glad you do."

"I'd like anything you gave me," Hyunwoo said, one hand wrapped around Minhyuk's upper arm. "You're so thoughtful."

"What if I gave you my heart?" Minhyuk asked, forcing himself to speak above a whisper so Hyunwoo could hear and trying unsuccessfully to keep his voice from wavering.

"Your heart?" Hyunwoo repeated, confused. Then his eyes shone with understanding. "Oh, you mean the chocolates yesterday? I told you, they were delicious." He patted his hard stomach to show him. "I'll bring you some tomorrow, so you can try some more."

Minhyuk shook his head dejectedly. "It's okay, they're for you anyway."

"Are you sure? I don't feel comfortable with you buying all these things for me, and I'm just-"

"No!" Minhyuk cut him off. "Hyung, I got them for you. Just enjoy them. Please."

"Okay..." Hyunwoo stared after Minhyuk's back with a blank expression as he walked away.